PDA

View Full Version : Hiker/Hiker Marriages

Hooch
01-07-2008, 11:21
I was reading another thread and noticed part of Hiker7's signature that said he envies all the hiker/hiker marriages out there. So I'm curious, who all is in a hiker/hiker marriage or who has opinions on it?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 11:25
I was reading another thread and noticed part of Hiker7's signature that said he envies all the hiker/hiker marriages out there. So I'm curious, who all is in a hiker/hiker marriage or who has opinions on it?

I'm sort of in one. We're not "officially" married but I've been with Gypsy since April of 2000 when we met just south of Max Patch. I am commited to her. Don't need no paper to say so. :)

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 11:26
I'm sort of in one. We're not "officially" married but I've been with Gypsy since April of 2000 when we met just south of Max Patch. I am commited to her. Don't need no paper to say so. :):) :) :) :) :)

Blissful
I'm in a hiker marriage. Love it. :)

We hope to do the trail together, maybe in 2011, if hubby can get his business in line to leave it for 6 months. I'm ready to hike it again whenever he is!

So if you aren't married yet, wait for that perfect one for you. He or she is out there!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
There are non-hikers in the world :confused:

:D:D:D

Hooch
I'm sort of in one. We're not "officially" married but I've been with Gypsy since April of 2000 when we met just south of Max Patch. I am commited to her. Don't need no paper to say so. :)That's all that matters LW. I'm just glad there's someone out there who can tolerate you. :eek: :D If I ever make it to Damascus I'm gonna owe you quite a few cold ones for all the ribbing I give you. :D

Blissful
01-07-2008, 11:28

Isn't it sad?? :(

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 11:29
Isn't it sad?? :(

sad? heck no. i couldn't stand to be around hikers all the time. :)

Ewker
01-07-2008, 11:30
So if you aren't married yet, wait for that perfect one for you. He or she is out there!

not wanting to be married again but still looking for that female hiker who lives close by :D

Hooch
01-07-2008, 11:32
not wanting to be married again but still looking for that female hiker who lives close by :DI think Shadowmoss is available Ewker. :D Nah, wouldn't wish that on Shadowmoss. Gotta love both of you guys. :p

Ewker
01-07-2008, 11:34
I think Shadowmoss is available Ewker. :D Nah, wouldn't wish that on Shadowmoss. Gotta love both of you guys. :p

Hooch, you missed an important part..I said hiker :eek:

looking around for Shadowmoss to hit me :p

Hooch
01-07-2008, 11:37

looking around for Shadowmoss to hit me :pIt's gonna hurt, you know that, right?

Cannibal
01-07-2008, 11:38
You're gonna end up right back in the hospital when she's done with ya! :D

Marta
01-07-2008, 11:38

:D:D:D

Sure, someone has to stay home and work while we hike!

Bearpaw
01-07-2008, 11:39
I sort of have the best of both worlds. My fiancee is a slower hiker who doesn't care so much for the long-distance hikes I take in my Summers off. But she loves shorter trips of 2-4 days with maybe 8 miles on average per day. I never cared much for "weekend" trips til I met her. Now I really enjoy spending time with her in the backcountry on short trips.

During summers, she loves to come visit me in trail towns and locales while I am off doing 15-milers for 3-6 weeks. She is included, but I still have that personal solo time for reflection and real peace and quiet.

Hooch
01-07-2008, 11:43
Sure, someone has to stay home and work while we hike! I just got it after you posted that Marta. The answer isn't a hiker/hiker relationship, but a hiker/sugar mama relationship. She stays home, works and funds the hiking. Sweet idea, thanks Marta! By the way, Bearpaw, yours sounds like the almost ideal situation. :D

Kirby
01-07-2008, 11:43
For the record:
I am not married.

Thank you,
Kirby

Hooch
01-07-2008, 11:44
We need to start a website like eHarmony, but for hikers. :D

A-Train
01-07-2008, 11:46
Still lookin' for Mizz Right on the trail. 3 trails down and still no luck:(

I'm sure i'll find her on the CDT. I hear it's a great place to meet women:)

The Solemates
01-07-2008, 11:49
of course we have one..:) and couldnt imagine not being in one..

Ewker
01-07-2008, 11:49
It's gonna hurt, you know that, right?

You're gonna end up right back in the hospital when she's done with ya! :D

sssshhhh, maybe she won't see this thread....lol

Roots
01-07-2008, 13:28
You guys crack me up...:D

I am very happy to be in a hiker marriage. It definitely makes life a lot more interesting.

There's people that don't hike...WHAT?!?:eek: :D

Tipi Walter
01-07-2008, 13:47
On a recent backpacking trip into North Carolina I met LUNA and SIX STRING of Bryson City who both thru-hiked the AT and met on the trail and got married around Fontana. Anyone know them??

HIKER7s
01-07-2008, 14:06
UMMMmmm I have a lovely bride, but I still WISH.

Guess a hiker/ hiker-son will have to do

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 14:06
Im with Ewker, dont really want to be married again. And I partly agree with Hooch, lookin for that money man to support my hiking addiction. I guess I would be happiest with a "Will & Grace" theme... good man, no commitment, he's good at house keeping and doesnt care how often I run off with other people (to hike).

NorthCountryWoods
01-07-2008, 14:19
I'm sort of in one. We're not "officially" married but I've been with Gypsy since April of 2000 when we met just south of Max Patch. I am commited to her. Don't need no paper to say so. :)

The wife and I were together for 9 before we finally got married. Didn't matter much cept to pi$$ off my parents.

She's the one that wants to do the AT. If it were up to me we'd be bushwacking in AK or northern Canada with no trail and more importantly....no people!

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 15:13
There is much to be said for the person who supports a hiker. :-? While he is gone, the clothes are washed, house kept clean, shopping done, bills paid on time, food in the fridge waiting for him. So, the hiker, upon returning home can drop his pack, take a shower and go to bed, without any worry about having to take care of the basics. Financial support would be icing on the cake.;)

Lellers
01-07-2008, 15:33
On January 26 my hubby and I will celebrate wedding anniversary #23. I've known the guy since I was 18. He's a wonderful man. He's even an athlete. He's a very serious runner, track and field Master's events. And he's good at it. But he's an indoor guy. He hates sleeping in the woods. Hates the night sounds, bug bites, no t.v. When we were first together, I took him on a really cushy camping trip. Thought I'd start him out in a family campground setting. Early one morning, two guys walk up the road past my campsite. They're laughing and joking about a guy in the bath house with a hair dryer. Five minutes later, along comes my guy up the road with a blow dryer in his hand. (It was the 1980s, so I can forgive the hairstyle.)

We've tried to camp together a few times. Even day hikes are painful for me. He can't get the competitive racing stuff out of his veins, and there is no way on God's green earth that I'm going to take up trail running. So if we're on a trail together, he's loping along with those long legs of his, and I'm stumbling trying to keep up.

Eh. No big deal. I gave birth to a hiking son. (Nice looking kid -- see my gallery.) That's been good for a few years. But he's a big lad, 6'4" and 38-inch inseams. Can't keep up with him anymore, either, and he's more interested in going out on trails with his friends now.

Looks like I'm back to solo again.

Tipi Walter
01-07-2008, 15:37
There is much to be said for the person who supports a hiker. :-? While he is gone, the clothes are washed, house kept clean, shopping done, bills paid on time, food in the fridge waiting for him. So, the hiker, upon returning home can drop his pack, take a shower and go to bed, without any worry about having to take care of the basics. Financial support would be icing on the cake.;)

But when you've lost her, she's gone forever. There's a subtle feeling that comes when you're out, a twitching of the old scrotal hairs, as Edward Abbey would say, when you realize your significant other is about to jump ship and leave. While you're out surveying god's wilderness and pumping nylon, she's text-messaging a "new friend" she's found and keeping her gaze towards the strand of the city lights. So, how are you gonna keep them down on the farm when you're out all the time?

envirodiver
01-07-2008, 15:49
Yeah I was in a relationship w/ a fine woman. I got her started backpacking and got her hooked. She loved it, more like Bearpaws lady in that she liked shorter trips, but that's OK. That's more what I have time for anyway.

Was in a relationship is the key word. I don't mind hiking solo, but it was fun having her along. I'm looking for another.

Any volunteers?LOL:welcome

Sly
01-07-2008, 15:51
I'd like to be in the hiker/hiker relationship, not so sure about the marriage.

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 15:56
Tipi, That is a hard question to answer. If she is restless, I don't think being present would help, it would happen anyway. It always boils down to a question of character to me. A person who is supportive of a hiker, must be, by defination an independent, self-reliant woman. A emotionally needed woman will probably move on, or keep looking. I see a friendship/relationship as a partnership based on respect and friendship, many see the same thing as a "feel good" situation which will not last. Just my two cents worth.
Though, you are right, it is a terrible feeling to lose someone like that.

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 16:00
Wasnt there someone here recently posting about this very thing? wife/gf said she'd leave if he hiked, but thought he could change her mind?

Sly
01-07-2008, 16:02
Wasnt there someone here recently posting about this very thing? wife/gf said she'd leave if he hiked, but thought he could change her mind?

Yeah, I think the general consensus was to drop her. :D

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 16:12
If it is the same one I'm thinking of; didn't she say that hiking was a waste of his time? It helps if your partner loves hiking, and can understand your need to be out.

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 16:14
NO, this chick said "its me or the trail."

Cannibal
01-07-2008, 16:15

Well then, I hope he enjoys his hike!

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 16:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30822&highlight=ultimatum

sarbar
01-07-2008, 16:29
My husband moved out West from the Mid Atlantic area. We met on a trip to the Olympic Mts about a week after he got out here. Many hikes later we got married (we were together a good 3 or so years) We have been together over 5 years now.

His job doesn't let him hike so much now...but he never stops me from going and ratehr encourages me to go with my friends. We do though get a couple weeks every year where we travel and see new NP's and similar areas. I love that.

And while it doesn't have to be hiking, I couldn't be with someone who didn't like the outdoors.

ki0eh
01-07-2008, 16:32
I met my wife about a week after moving to PA, in a group day-hiking the Tuscarora Trail.

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 16:37
Thanks for the clairfication Cuffs, in this case, I agree with Sly and the others. Time to say goodbye. I sure hope he gets out and follows his dream.

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 16:45
I think most of us gal's here even were on his side!

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 16:50
Yes, think we were. If someone you care about loves doing something, you should be supportive and say "go for it, buddy!"

Marta
01-07-2008, 16:52
Yes, think we were. If someone you care about loves doing something, you should be supportive and say "go for it, buddy!"

Or "Go for it, honey!" As my husband did for me.

He's a saint and I'm very lucky...but I try to return the favor and support him in his weird hobbies, like cycling.

mcstick
01-07-2008, 16:52
I met my wife at Holy Family Hostel in Pearisburg in 2003. Although I was never one for animals, I hooked her by pretending to like a baby possum that somebody had given her outside the gas station in town. We now have fish, a turtle, a dog and a pet rat.

gumball
01-07-2008, 16:55
I am married to a fellow hiker. Actually, we got married in Delaware Water Gap in 2005, on the steps of the Church of the Appalachian Mountain (I think that was the name). We were married with our hiking partners, two couples who we have hiked with for some time. One was a minister, so he did the ceremony, and we had built in bridesmaid, best man, etc. Some Little Debbies for a wedding cake/presnack juice, and off we went into NJ and NY for a week's honeymoon (not too conducive to honeymoon in hammocks, but hey, we made the best of it).

Met up with a bunch of young ladies on top of one of the mountains that day and threw my wildflower "bouquet" one of my fellow hikers made for me.

It was a great day, and is a great partnership--thanks for bringing up the memory! :)

Gum

Roots
01-07-2008, 16:57
I knew a girl that I worked with that hiked the AT back in the late 90s (she didn't finish because of injury and sickness, I think). She met her husband on the AT. I don't know what her trail name was but I think she SOBOd. They had the most awesome wedding. It was at an old farm. The farm house was a very tiny rustic house and it was on acres and acres of land. They married outside with a big feast afterwards and all of their friends camped out there that night, along with them.

Don't know if anyone here knows them, but I often wonder what ever happened to them.

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 16:57
absolutely, Marta! Didn't mean to leave out the gals on this one. :eek: We all need a supportive, spouse, or friend to encourage us to live our dreams.
I raised and trained Morgan horses for years, until I decided to go to graduate school. Living both dreams came about because someone in my life said "go for it!" And I like to pass that kind of support on. Long distance hiking, however, remains a dream. Well, until I win the lottery!

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 17:04
WARNING: side track.... Havent heard about Morgan horses in years! Rode one in training back in early 80's, but nothing since!

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 17:13
Sorry cuffs, you are right. I'm glad to know there are so fellow hikers who have found each other on the trail and continue to hike into the sunset.:sun

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 17:16
I agree, there are some inspiring stories! (leaves the rest of us with some hope!

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 17:22
Yup, dreams and hope...the Delaware Water Gap wedding sounds just beautiful, an ideal wedding day in my book

gypsy
01-07-2008, 17:29
Yeah... marriage is overrated. I do love my wolfie though:o

gypsy
01-07-2008, 17:31
Oh yeah...a p.s., wolfie puts up with my wierd fascination with ballet and hip hop music:D

Spirit Walker
01-07-2008, 17:46
I met my husband thruhiking the AT. Since then we've walked a lot of miles. I can't imagine being married to someone who didn't share my love of hiking. As Mags has said, for me it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

envirodiver
01-07-2008, 17:59
Oh yeah...a p.s., wolfie puts up with my wierd fascination with ballet and hip hop music:D

Is the ballet to hip-hop music? :banana

gypsy
01-07-2008, 18:00
Is the ballet to hip-hop music? :banana
Yes, sometimes:D

Ewker
01-07-2008, 18:02

can't you just see Wolf in a tutu http://www.tutu.com/images/gallerythumbs/ctu10b_72x110.jpg :p

Pennsylvania Rose
01-07-2008, 18:02
First marriage - A hiker I met on the AT. It was great to have someone to adventure with, but the whole thing turned into a horrible, dysfunctional mess.

Second marriage - He HATES hiking, much less backpacking. Says he went on too many forced marches in the Army. He does like to camp and fish, though and we take weekend and weeklong drive up camping trips in the summer. He fishes and I hike. We actually spent our honeymoon at a secluded developed campsite at a state park and our first anniversary at another. He worries a lot when I go backpacking, and is really afraid that someday I'll meet some irresistable hiker and leave. But, that's not going to happen. We love each other enormously, love each others' kids like our own, and treat each other with kindness, decency, and respect. After being in several terrible relationships, whether he hikes or not is a non-issue. And, he's getting better at dealing with his fears.

envirodiver
01-07-2008, 18:03
Yes, sometimes:D

That's Cool

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:05
can't you just see Wolf in a tutu http://www.tutu.com/images/gallerythumbs/ctu10b_72x110.jpg :p

i've been known to cross dress

Cannibal
01-07-2008, 18:06

Well, that explains the 'bearded-lady' I saw at a circus in Providence! :D

gypsy
01-07-2008, 18:09
Dino PLEASE photoshop the above picture with wolf's face on her:D

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:10
Dino PLEASE photoshop the above picture with wolf's face on her:D

your s**t will be at the curb when you get home

gypsy
01-07-2008, 18:19
Yeah right.:rolleyes: I've got your number buddy:D

dixicritter
01-07-2008, 18:27
LMAO.... Y'all are too cute!

Hiker/hiker marriage I guess is what you call what Rock and I have. He hikes when he can, we sometimes hike together as a family and sometimes we also do trail maintenance together.

Think it's too late to reconsider? ;)

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 18:34
the key here is not whether or not someone hikes, it is the level of support the hiker receives from the other person in their life. Penn rose loves to hike and her happy hubby fishes. And when it works, well it is wonderful.:banana

leeki pole
01-07-2008, 18:35
does dayhiking count? my wife of 26 years loves the woods and a good walk, but likes a nice room and a soft bed at night. ah well, it's all about sacrifice:)

Kirby
01-07-2008, 18:50
does dayhiking count? my wife of 26 years loves the woods and a good walk, but likes a nice room and a soft bed at night. ah well, it's all about sacrifice:)

Of course day hiking counts. A large portion of the hiker population are day hikers and weekenders. Day hikes are quite pleasant.

Kirby

mudhead
01-07-2008, 19:31

If you make the man listen to rat music, he gets several get out of jail free cards.

Hooch
01-07-2008, 21:29
Im with Ewker, dont really want to be married again. And I partly agree with Hooch, lookin for that money man to support my hiking addiction. I guess I would be happiest with a "Will & Grace" theme... good man, no commitment, he's good at house keeping and doesnt care how often I run off with other people (to hike).Takin volunteers for that cuffs? :eek: :D

Hooch
01-07-2008, 21:32
Yup, dreams and hope...the Delaware Water Gap wedding sounds just beautiful, an ideal wedding day in my book
If I were to get married again some time, a Katahdin wedding would be pretty cool. Not that I'd ever get married again. :rolleyes:

bigboots
01-07-2008, 21:59
...but I try to return the favor and support him in his weird hobbies, like cycling.

Hey...whats wrong with cycling, I cycle just about everywhere (barring no snow). And anything is better than a ballet/hip hop combo!;)

Oh and to answer the thread I don't care what category my wife will fall into, just as long as we can put up with each other:D .

Bigboots

Hooch
01-07-2008, 21:59
i've been known to cross dressThe man's not lying, it's true. :D

bigboots
01-07-2008, 22:04
This was posted by Iceman on another post....
"As one woman said. "For women on the trail the odds are good but the goods are odd"."

Bigboots

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:10
"As one woman said. "For women on the trail the odds are good but the goods are odd"."

Bigboots
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

1Pint
01-07-2008, 22:18
Im with Ewker, dont really want to be married again. And I partly agree with Hooch, lookin for that money man to support my hiking addiction. I guess I would be happiest with a "Will & Grace" theme... good man, no commitment, he's good at house keeping and doesnt care how often I run off with other people (to hike).

I'm voting with Ewker & Cuffs - not interested in marriage (that's another story), but I think it'd be great to have a partner who loves to wander and explore the way I do. I'm surrounded by perfectly wonderful friends but they're not hikers. They lovingly roll their eyes when I talk about the trails I would like to be on and such. It'd add a cool dimension to be able to share some long-distance hiking with the right person.

Scrollner
01-07-2008, 22:34
Getting back to the subject.....
I'm in what can best be described as a hiker-camper/hiker-non camper relationship. My wife loves to hike and loves the sights and photo opportunities it gives her, but hates camping. We have yet to find a sleeping system that makes her comfortable at night. Hammocks won't work since she is a dedicated stomach sleeper. She has yet to find a pad that's comfortable. So generally we do alot of day hikes together, and then I go off for a few days by myself or with the kids.

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:41
My wife loves to hike and loves the sights and photo opportunities it gives her, but hates camping. We have yet to find a sleeping system that makes her comfortable at night. Hammocks won't work since she is a dedicated stomach sleeper........A hammock (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm) for the stomach sleeper. There ya go. You're welcome. :D

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 22:52
I'm voting with Ewker & Cuffs - not interested in marriage (that's another story), but I think it'd be great to have a partner who loves to wander and explore the way I do. I'm surrounded by perfectly wonderful friends but they're not hikers. They lovingly roll their eyes when I talk about the trails I would like to be on and such. It'd add a cool dimension to be able to share some long-distance hiking with the right person.

:::recalls images of Three's Company:::

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 22:52
hummmm, ballet/hiphop combo, add cycling...:eek:

Footslogger
01-07-2008, 22:54
So I'm curious, who all is in a hiker/hiker marriage or who has opinions on it?

=====================================

Count us in ...

BadAss Turtle (AT2001) and of course, ME (AT2003)

'Slogger

bigboots
01-07-2008, 23:08
A hammock (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm) for the stomach sleeper. There ya go. You're welcome. :D
pretty cool.

Bigboots

Cindy from Indy
01-08-2008, 14:41

Bigboots

I like a little 'odd'. As long as his 'odd' goes along with my 'odd'. LOL

HIKER7s
01-08-2008, 14:47
Tell you what, we have 19 years in the tank already and I have been hiking thru all of it. I have also used up alot of stress cells on the way to those "stress free" hiking trips.

Still there is something to be said about a non-hiker woman holding a hiker-head man.

(shhhh- I can still wish though-LOL)

Venture
01-08-2008, 14:54
For the record:
I am not married.

Thank you,
Kirby

:) You might be by the time you reach Katahdin!!!:) Any young gals in the group your hiking with?:) :)

Ewker
01-08-2008, 15:00

:::recalls images of Three's Company:::

I could live with that :banana ;) :D

Nean
01-08-2008, 15:43
Hikin' Heidi and I got together on the trail in 02 and are as happy as we've ever been. Really haven't done much hiking since but what the hey, at least she's old enough to go to the bar now!:D :eek:

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 15:51
Hikin' Heidi and I got together on the trail in 02 and are as happy as we've ever been. Really haven't done much hiking since but what the hey, at least she's old enough to go to the bar now!:D :eek:

what is you age difference?

Jim Adams
01-08-2008, 19:45
hummmm, ballet/hiphop combo, add cycling...:eek:

in the tutu!:D

geek

Jim Adams
01-08-2008, 19:47
what is you age difference?

LW,
hiked with both for a while in '02...23 years i think.

geek

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 19:53
damn! thought i was robbin' the cradle at 18 years difference.

Red Hat
01-08-2008, 19:57
I'm married to a non-hiker... sometimes I wish he would hike, but I don't ever wish I were married to someone else. He is a great husband who lets me hike when I need to.

Happy Feet
01-08-2008, 20:07
Hatman and I met hiking. When we deciede to get married, we found a hiking preacher and hiked to a pretty waterfall and got married - just the 3 of us. The next spring we left on our first thru hike. I cannot imagine a better partner.

MOWGLI
01-08-2008, 20:14
Hatman and I met hiking. When we deciede to get married, we found a hiking preacher and hiked to a pretty waterfall and got married - just the 3 of us. The next spring we left on our first thru hike. I cannot imagine a better partner.

Lucky guy.

Mrs Baggins
01-08-2008, 20:17
Married 32 1/2 years. Didn't start out to be hiker/hiker. He was the hiker first. I came along to the show after 9/11 and now I'm the more devoted fanatic! :D

Jim Adams
01-08-2008, 20:57
LW,
if I remember correctly from 2002, Nean was 42 and Heidi was 19.
I may be wrong but I don't think...spent some time with them.

geek

general
01-08-2008, 21:05
i was married to a hiker for about 5 and 1/2 years. we have a wonderful son together. we're divorced now, and to be completely honest, i couldn't be happier about it. many thousands of dollars less in the bank, but oh well. a better life goes on.

d'shadow
01-08-2008, 22:41
in the tutu!:D

geek

:-? add a backpack, hubbahubba:p

CrumbSnatcher
01-09-2008, 13:08
We're not married yet, but we dont need law and government involved. Our commitment is understood by God and i am truly blessed. never have me and Bear been treated so good and felt so loved and she's a damn good hiker!

Tipi Walter
01-09-2008, 13:48
Despite my earlier post(relevant at one time), I am currently with Little Mitten, and we've done some interesting trips with full rucks in the freezin' season.

sarbar
01-09-2008, 16:09
Like Gumball...we got married outside as well. To please my husband's parents we didn't go to the mountains. It was in the alpine garden at the park near our home (we live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains). My friend and hiking partner Rumidude married us.

I did wear an actual dress and carry a bouquet, but that was as far as I was going. I wore a wrap to cover all my tattoos to keep everyone happy as well. We sat around the lake afterwards and had piles of ribs and chicken from the trashy BBQ joint nearby. Yum.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Our%20Wedding/2315194100053744180EbMRnE_ph.jpg

Then took all our saved $$ and went to Yellowstone and the Tetons.

My friend Rumi also married my good friend Dicentra this past summer. It is nice having an ordained minister as a friend :D

Obsidian
01-09-2008, 16:11
I once dated a boy who went on a day hike with me once, that counts right?

I've mentioned my desire to thruhike and the guys I date seem to think I'm a little crazy, I'm moving back to KY in the next year so hopefully I'll find someone who is more willing to hike/backpack

Doctari
01-09-2008, 19:08
I'm in a "Mixed marrage" sort of.

She would LOVE to hike with me, but: bad back, bad knees, and a DESPERATE PHOBIA regarding Heights* has regulated her to the role of support person.

We can solve the sleeping on the ground problem (bad back) by putting her in a hammock.
Likely surgery would fix the knees.
We are stuck with the fear of high places.

She supports my hiking, is even driving me to & picking me up from my next adventure on the AT in April & May.

* She can't even cross a log bridge 2' off the ground.

Hooch
01-15-2008, 09:33
I I'm moving back to KY in the next year so hopefully I'll find someone who is more willing to hike/backpack Just out of curiousity, where to in Kentucky?

Waterfall
01-15-2008, 17:18
I'm in a hiker marriage and cannot imagine a more blissful existence. My husband (Sheltowee) is pretty happy, too. He will be thru-hiking the PCT this summer while I stay home and do maildrops and pay the bills, and all of his (male) co-workers are wondering how he managed to find a wife who would let him do something fun like that (and is willing to live on a shoestring while we save up for the hike). All he has to say is "She's a hiker. She understands." End of story. :)

Here's a picture of us at our wedding in 2003 (http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=56375) ... I'm holding my toasting glass while he gets ready to cut his Katahdin cake.

Mother Nature
01-15-2008, 18:36
Smokestack and I met in the woods. Most of our "dates" were backpacking and dayhikes. We married in the woods and will be celebrating our 17th anniversary next month.

My wedding gift from him was a new pair of Vasque Sundowners. I wore the boots down the trail to the wedding area and then back out to the car. As I walked from our car to the building where our wedding reception was held we passed "regular people" who stared at me for a minute and started laughing. The boots were so comfortable I forgot to change into "real shoes". These people weren't used to brides in boots. :p

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 19:10
My wedding gift from him was a new pair of Vasque Sundowners..

Those were some sweeet boots

Marta
01-15-2008, 21:09
Very nice photo, Waterfall.

Programbo
01-15-2008, 21:15
I thought the whole point of hiking was to get away from your spouse? :confused:

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 21:20
I thought the whole point of hiking was to get away from your spouse? :confused:

some people enjoy the company of thier friend/wife/husband/partner/significant other. i do. obviously you don't. sucks being you :)

max patch
01-15-2008, 22:07

No. Thats golf.

fiddlehead
01-15-2008, 22:34
On my first hike in '77, i hiked with my then girlfriend and as soon as we finished the hike (made it to Del Water Gap on $700 total), we got married.

The hike lasted 3 months, the marriage 7 weeks.

We got along much better on the trail than we did in real life.

My wife now loves to stay home and take care of our 2 year old. Me too but i do get out and hike/run/jog/explore quite a bit.

A future dream is to hike the PCT with him when he's 15.

HIKER7s
01-16-2008, 13:18
I once dated a boy who went on a day hike with me once, that counts right?

I've mentioned my desire to thruhike and the guys I date seem to think I'm a little crazy, I'm moving back to KY in the next year so hopefully I'll find someone who is more willing to hike/backpack

HA! My senior year in HS, (I did my thru the year after) as soon as I brought up me going hiking for almost half a year on one hike, most o the time the girl moved on. All the time, when they soon saw how obsessed I was and that it wasnt some pipedream, the walked.

Thankful there was no shortage of GFs however :banana

warren doyle
01-20-2008, 15:40
First wife - we hiked the AT/LT/JMT/WT and Pennine Way together. She supported my 2nd, 3rd and 4th AT section hikes and my Superhikes, Legs against Arms and Spring Stroll. I supported her AT section hikes and Superhike. She also was a charter member of ALDHA and co-hosted the first eight Gatherings at Pipestem.

Second wife - hiked AT/JMT together. Summitted Mt. Olympus and Mt. Shasta together. She has supported my 6th and 7th AT section hikes. I have supported her AT section hikes and LT end-to-end. She has provided administrative support (i.e., website) for the 2005 & 2010 AT Circle Expeditions as well as the Appalachian Trail Institutes for the last four years.

After my first AT hike in 1973, I wouldn't be able to be in a romantic relationship with a woman who didn't like, or appreciate, hiking and dancing.

Nean
01-20-2008, 15:55
LW,
if I remember correctly from 2002, Nean was 42 and Heidi was 19.
I may be wrong but I don't think...spent some time with them.

geek

You have a good memory my friend.;)

jessicacomp
01-20-2008, 16:14
Some of my friends keep telling me that maybe I will find my husband on the AT. I hope they are right. I know I am young, but I swear all of my close friends are either married or engaged already!

Nean
01-20-2008, 16:26
Some of my friends keep telling me that maybe I will find my husband on the AT. I hope they are right. I know I am young, but I swear all of my close friends are either married or engaged already!

22, did you say 22!!?! Getting married because your friends are is probably the worst reason to even think about getting married.:eek: Find a good person to share good times with!:sun Better to never get married than marry the wrong person when you are so young.;)

jessicacomp
01-20-2008, 16:34
22, did you say 22!!?! Getting married because your friends are is probably the worst reason to even think about getting married.:eek: Find a good person to share good times with!:sun Better to never get married than marry the wrong person when you are so young.;)

haha I know, I know. I dont actually want to get married because all of my friends are, it's just that it seems like I am the only one who isnt at least engaged. Also, my bestfriend and her husband live right next door to me and are always having little parties with all their married friends and then me.

Nean
01-20-2008, 16:35

Ya know, I'll admit when I'm wrong and I was.:o

Let's get married:banana......you did say 22 -right?!! My gal is getting way too old for me.:):eek:

Lion King
01-20-2008, 17:38
I've had some luck with town girls (Very short term :banana) but no long term hiker love.

Although I do have love for a couple of them Hiker girls...I mean you see them on the trail at their dirtiest and worst sometimes and they can still be very attractive--be it in their strength or outlook, and then you see them two years later at trail days when they are in 'town clothes' and clean and ZAMBOOEY!, smoooookin!

There are two in particular....and I think they are both single...I wonder how they fill about polygamy?:D

general
01-20-2008, 20:58
I wonder how they fill about polygamy?:D

never hurts to ask (as long as you're out of striking range anyway). you know, stranger things have happened.

girlnextdoor
01-20-2008, 21:40
redwood and i met on the AT in 02 but didn't start dating till 04, got married in 06!

i also want to mention moonshine and greenman had a beautiful wedding at traildays 06 i think it was... great ceremony.

nean i'll see you and heidi this summer!!!!!!!!!!! wooohooo!!!!!!

Obsidian
01-20-2008, 21:47
Just out of curiousity, where to in Kentucky?

Lex-Vegas...
providing my job connections come through for me

Hooch
01-20-2008, 21:52
Lex-Vegas...
providing my job connections come through for meI live in Lexington (For now) also. Let me know when you get here, maybe we can take a day hike out at Red River Gorge. If you need moving help, give me a yell!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 11:51
can't you just see Wolf in a tutu

Dino PLEASE photoshop the above picture with wolf's face on her:DWould Dino do such a thing? Of course she would:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/LW-Tutu.jpg

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 11:54
i'm home 10 minutes, flip on the puter and this is what i see :rolleyes: :)

Dances with Mice
01-21-2008, 11:55
Would Dino do such a thing? Of course she would:This HAS to be a violation of the Terms of Service agreement.

HIKER7s
01-21-2008, 11:56
i'm home 10 minutes, flip on the puter and this is what i see :rolleyes: :)

Kind of would want me to go back to work or where ever I came from:)

Hooch
01-21-2008, 11:58
This HAS to be a violation of the Terms of Service agreement.I hope not, it's too damn funy not to share. LW puts up a pretty gruff front here, but meeting him for the first time at the Ruck he's a big softie. Or at least a pretty nice guy that was a pleasure to meet.

Jim Adams
01-21-2008, 12:00
I CAN'T STOP!!!!!!

I am soaked with tea and have spaghetti all over the keyboard.......
I can't stop!

geek

BipolarStroller
01-21-2008, 12:01
LMAO, L.wolf, you get them nice legs from hiking?

Nean
01-21-2008, 13:39

nean i'll see you and heidi this summer!!!!!!!!!!! wooohooo!!!!!!

We are looking forward to it Girl!!!!! Heidi says hey!:)

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 13:46
LMAO... I just about choked on Ritz chips. Who's responsible for the warning labels on these threads anyway? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

Hooch
01-21-2008, 13:47
LMAO... I just about choked on Ritz chips. Who's responsible for the warning labels on these threads anyway? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gifYou are Mrs. Moderator.

Lion King
01-21-2008, 14:04
Would Dino do such a thing? Of course she would:

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

wEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

hahahhahhah!

Oh, that was great... HEHEHE,

Oh, I cant stop laughing..

BipolarStroller
01-21-2008, 18:10
We're not married yet, but we dont need law and government involved. Our commitment is understood by God and i am truly blessed. never have me and Bear been treated so good and felt so loved and she's a damn good hiker!

Awwwwwe Crumb, you're so romantic!! And I think you mean that we should BE comitted.:p

F.D.,ewker, and gypsy-teehee

AT1996
01-21-2008, 18:26
Although I enjoy having a permanent and willing hiking partner, that should not be the first consideration in finding a spouse. One time on a backpack I told a friend of mine that if anything happened to my husband that I would only consider marrying again if that person were a hiker. She told me that I would be eliminating some great husband choices by using that criteria. Since then I've changed my mind, too. Finding a loving, faithful spouse is too important a decision to limit the search to hikers only. It would also be nice to have someone supporting me at home. My husband actually supported me at first more than he hiked with me. That has changed over the years so that he is now my hiking partner. Gutsy

Lilred
01-21-2008, 20:54

Why Wolf, you look so happy doing what you love, bless your heart!! ;)

d'shadow
01-22-2008, 01:07
I can hear the beat of hiphop, but, where is his back pack?:p

Frau
02-23-2008, 22:35
I was divorced after the 1st fourteen years, widowed after the second 14 years (husband 2) but NOW FINALLY am in a relationship with a hiker. Life is SO much better!

Frau

Lion King
04-18-2008, 14:06
heheheheheheh

That photo of LW...God,I had to come here for a laugh...

Its STILL funny!:D

vonfrick
04-18-2008, 14:24
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762OEUS) YAY!!! I'm in love with a hiker!!! :sun

(you may have heard of him...;))

Wonder
04-18-2008, 15:18
I met my guy on the trail......well, sort of......does Dot's count??
Seriously, I couldn't see myself with a non hiker.........

warraghiyagey
04-18-2008, 15:22
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762OEUS) YAY!!! I'm in love with a hiker!!! :sun

Me too!:sun:sun

Hooch
04-18-2008, 15:36

Me too!:sun:sunWell didn't that work out well? :banana

Hooch
04-18-2008, 15:56

heheheheheheh

That photo of LW...God,I had to come here for a laugh...

Its STILL funny!:DI say we all change out avatars to that picture for 30 days in honor of LW. :D Lion King is right, it's still funny.

BipolarStroller
04-18-2008, 16:10
awesome...FD rocks!
I needed a good laugh, thanks Hooch!

vonfrick
04-18-2008, 16:21
Well didn't that work out well? :banana

we think so :)

kolokolo
04-18-2008, 21:40
I'm married to a non-hiker, but after 23 years of marriage it was her idea to go to southern Virginia next weekend for 4 days of hiking. Life if full of surprises.

TIDE-HSV
04-19-2008, 01:37
Well, I was married for 20+ years to one hiker, and, now, I've been married for 20+ years to another hiker. Sandwiched in between was a relationship for a few years to Puerto Rican girl, another hiker. I guess that's sort of unusual. Even more unusual was that wife#1 was wife#2's divorce attorney. And, my former law partner was wife#2's ex-husband's divorce attorney. Hope that's clear... :)

Marta
04-19-2008, 06:32
Well, I was married for 20+ years to one hiker, and, now, I've been married for 20+ years to another hiker. Sandwiched in between was a relationship for a few years to Puerto Rican girl, another hiker. I guess that's sort of unusual. Even more unusual was that wife#1 was wife#2's divorce attorney. And, my former law partner was wife#2's ex-husband's divorce attorney. Hope that's clear... :)

I think there's a country music song in that...

Lone Wolf
04-19-2008, 07:20
me and gypsy went to a hiker wedding last night. hutch and sparrow tied the knot. they bought a house here in damascus

mrc237
04-19-2008, 07:46
Get any ideas?

NICKTHEGREEK
04-20-2008, 16:07
I think there's a country music song in that...
If 2 or more parties are 1st or 2nd cousins, it's a sure hit

Shadowmoss
04-20-2008, 17:56

looking around for Shadowmoss to hit me :p

I guess I never looked at this thread the first time around because at the time I was depressed that I had no hope of being in a relationship, hiker or not (birthdays do that you me sometimes...)

Someone should start planning Ewker's funeral, or at least taking up a collection for his hospital bill, when I get back to Nashville in a couple of weeks. I thought he seemed to avoid me for awhile there. Now I know why!!!

< cough, cough > So... Ewker... about that invite you promised me where you cook dinner... I'm available to show up at your door in, say 2 weeks?

**shadowmoss mentally inventories her implements of destruction**

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-20-2008, 18:55
::: Dino searches for recipes for a Ewker :::

boarstone
04-20-2008, 19:58

From the female side one this one..."where's my pack and car keys?":banana

wystiria
04-21-2008, 14:11
You all are too much!

I am in a Hiker/Hiker marrige - but I had to convert my now husband to become a hiker and it wasn't untill I spend a week out with him on the trail that I knew the relationship had "long term" potential *grin* anyway I love the fact that I get to Drag Sherpa on the trail with me :)

Hooch
04-21-2008, 15:35
< cough, cough > So... Ewker... about that invite you promised me where you cook dinner... I'm available to show up at your door in, say 2 weeks?

Hooch's advice? Hide your knives, Ewker. If she asks if you need help chopping something, just smile, decline, and inch toward the door. :D

Shadowmoss
04-21-2008, 17:06
**Shadowmoss adds sharp... no, make that dull, knives to the inventory to take to Ewker's house**

FD, are Ewkers better well done or completely charred?

Mushroom 96
04-21-2008, 22:08
I agree, always thought it would be a great addition to this site.

Mushroom 96
04-21-2008, 22:14
Oops, meant to say thought this site would be great for a singles catagory. Not about the knives:eek: