PDA

View Full Version : FL Guy Looking for Closest Gear Outfitter Nearby!!

James046
01-07-2008, 15:01
Hey all, I am new to this site. I am and have been planning a thru-hike for 2008 leaving late March, probably around March 16-22. I have all my plans together but one major problem. I have not bought any gear yet!! I live in FL, and there aren many outfitters in the area alteast that I can find. If anyone has any knowledge of some in FL, let me know please. I would really like to find a place to atleast try on and fit my pack and things on very soon so I can start getting used to them. Once I get everything I will go to GA for some practice hikes. Any assistance would be appreciated. James.........sorry, no trail name yet!! See you on the trail! Can't wait.

Abo Surfer
01-07-2008, 15:11
Hey James. I'm also in FL....Lakeland. You are right...there aren't many outfitters in Florida. I only know of three and they are all three spread out across the state. There is one in Tampa. I think it's called Tampa Bay Outfitters. They have a website so you might have to do a search. There's also Gander Mountain in Orlando and there's a really good outfitter store in Gainesville, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm also thru-hiking late march and I ordered most of my gear. The gear that I didn't order (like backpack, shoes, etc.) that needed fitting, I got at Rock Creek Outfitters when I was visiting my hometown in TN. If you MUST order from online, try Backcountry.com. They have a person that you can instant message and ask questions to while browsing.

Cannibal
01-07-2008, 15:11
Can't remember the name of it right now, but there is a good outfitter in the Tampa area. They even host a clinic on AT thru hikes in February. They seem to be very knowledgeable and certainly understand the needs of hikers.

James046
01-07-2008, 15:23
Thanks alot Abo Surfer and Cannibal. I agree, I will be buy most of my equipment online, except for the things that need fitting (shoes, backpack, etc. also) Just looking for somewhere to order the essentials. You gave me a good place to start. May try the Backcountry.com site first. Thanks alot, will let you know how it goes. If you remember the name of the outfitter in gainesville let me know, please. Abo when are you planning to start your hike? We may just see each other out there!! thanks again

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2008, 15:28
We got three in the Jacksonville area, that I know of:
1. Black Creek Outfitters - Pretty good and very big, but they sell too many clothes.
2. Army/Navy store, forget the actual name - Also pretty good, not your typical Army/Navy store.
3. Dick's Sporting Good - I'm not too impressed with them, kind of pricey.

I would imagine the further south the less options. I pretty much live in South Georgia.

Gray Blazer
01-07-2008, 15:33
The one in G'ville is Brasington's Trail Shop. Rob123uf, the $1500 guy works there. Good to know about the outfitters in Jacksonville. Congrats, Jaguars!!

Mercy
01-07-2008, 16:16
Jet's Florida Outdoors in Miami. (Just south of Alligator Alley, on Bird Rd. Before I made the trip, I'd call over and ask if they stock the particular brands you are looking for. They have some real helpful staff, just be sure and tell the first person you run into that you're planning on the AT trip, and they'll take you a little more seriously.

mixinmaster
01-07-2008, 16:19
Andy Thornal's in Winter Haven.......... Or Travel Country Outdoor in Altamonte Springs........... Use to be one in Sarasota years ago, but don't think its still there ......

Seeker
01-07-2008, 16:29
weatherford's, in pensacola. (yeah, i know... not nearby. but maybe you travel occasionally).

AT-HITMAN2005
01-07-2008, 16:36
travel country had multiple past thru-hikers on staff and are very knowledgeable about most anything about outdoors stuff. they also are great about fitting footwear to a person. IMO gander mountain is like a wal-mart or target of outfitters. we also have a bass pro-shop in the tourist area of orlando. they have an ok selection of stuff. stoves and a couple other things.

of course this doesn't do much good for someone 3 hours a way.

flagator
01-07-2008, 16:43
I second blackcreek in jacksonville. although it is a long ways from you. But on your way up youd be taking 95 north and at jax stop and take a peek than take 10 west to 75 north to get to the trails. And yes GO JAGS!

James046
01-07-2008, 16:49
Thanks everyone, there is even a Bass Pro shop about 5 min away from me, but they do not have much camping epuipment! I will check these sites out definitely, and thanks for letting me know about Jets FL Outdoors in Miami, just a 2 hour drive away for me. I'll look into them all.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2008, 17:07
...IMO gander mountain is like a wal-mart...
Damn forgot about Walmart, great hiking poles.:D

WhoAh
01-07-2008, 19:40
Bill Jacksons in St. Pete.... if they don't have it, you probably don't need it...

When I was there in late January/early Feb. last year they had some very knowledgeable folks on staff. Prices are "OK"

Doughnut
01-07-2008, 19:55
On your way to JAX (Black Creek) stop by the Coleman Store in the St Augustine Outlet malls, on the east side of I-95.

Hammock Hanger
01-07-2008, 20:15
Sorry to say I can't say that Black Creek is all that great of an outfitters for a thru-hike. It ha some stuff but most is not lightwt and in my opinion more of a rich yuppie shop.

I think that Travel Country Outdoors is the best outfitter in all of FL. I have been to many of them! (I am not familar with the Tampa area.)

TCO is well worth a trip to Altamote Springs just outside of Orlando. They have an online store as well but the actual store is best. Good gear, nice people and great customer service.

Just my opinion.

notorius tic
01-07-2008, 20:33
I live in Bradenton an i got outfitted at environeers in sarasota (Scott) is a avid Outdoors man an offers a great supply for through hikes... I dont have the # on me but you can google it<; I completed my hike this year on a flipflop and am heading out again this year.... Check my email on here an get in touch. I lived in Lameland for 20yrs<; Real name is Richard Grimes

flagator
01-08-2008, 03:32
Sorry to say I can't say that Black Creek is all that great of an outfitters for a thru-hike. It ha some stuff but most is not lightwt and in my opinion more of a rich yuppie shop.

Im not an ultra light guy nor am i terribly familiar with all the options for thru hike equipment, but i cant think of anything i have ever needed that they don't have. But as far as some outrageous prices, im right there with you. I have a couple friends that work there and the staff is very helpful, but sometimes i use it more to play dress up and scope out, than go on ebay later on for prices that are realistic. The seem to carry the whole line of marmot, arcteryx, patagonia, mountain hardwear. They dont carry any montbell, big agnes, etc. But its true a lot of the store is dedicated to snow boarding and kayaking among other things.
To go off on a tangent, talking about patagonia reminds me, patagonia was featured in Ben Stillers most recent movie the heartbreak kid. I thought that was a bit suprising. It was referenced several times.

Scrollner
01-08-2008, 08:36
I have to agree with Hammock Hanger about Black Creek. Last time I went there to get some of my gear for myself & family for a hike through the SNP last year, the salesperson there kept trying to put us in the most expensive gear, even though I had told him what my budget was. He kept tyring to get my 9 year old son in boots that were $200 plus, which is crazy, considering how fast feet grow at that age. I eventually bought most of what I needed online and took a trip to REI in Atlanta for boots & backpacks.

the_iceman
01-08-2008, 10:20
If you know what you want take time and shop the internet and save $$$ plus FL sales tax. I just moved to FL and unlike New England outfitters are hard to find. Travel Country is the one I have heard about from everyone.

If you have an outfitter give you advice and much needed help then buy from them because they have earned you business. If you already know what you want then there are huge savings to be found on the internet.

cannonball
01-08-2008, 11:46
Trail and Ski in Tallahassee

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2008, 12:32
I have to agree with Hammock Hanger about Black Creek. Last time I went there to get some of my gear for myself & family for a hike through the SNP last year, the salesperson there kept trying to put us in the most expensive gear, even though I had told him what my budget was. He kept tyring to get my 9 year old son in boots that were $200 plus, which is crazy, considering how fast feet grow at that age. I eventually bought most of what I needed online and took a trip to REI in Atlanta for boots & backpacks.
yeah, I ended up buying much of my stuff at some outfitters in northern Virginia, while visiting family. I got a few things from around here; I got my stove from Black Creek, but not much more. It's shameful, such a large store, with so many clothes, and not the type a multi-day hiker could use. I can appreciate the Yuppie remark by Hammock Hanger.

Terry7
01-08-2008, 12:41
Thanks everyone, there is even a Bass Pro shop about 5 min away from me, but they do not have much camping epuipment! I will check these sites out definitely, and thanks for letting me know about Jets FL Outdoors in Miami, just a 2 hour drive away for me. I'll look into them all.
I moved from Fort Lauderdale last year when I started hiking. The Bass Pro Shop. in Ft. Lauderdale is great, alot of good stuff. The Army Navy in Coconut Creak had some things to. Also try the Sports Authority.

Monkeyboy
01-08-2008, 13:23
I second Bill Jackson's in St. Petersburg......

They've got everything you could possible think of when it comes to anything outdoors. They even have where you can practice downhill snow skiing indoors.....

They even had a credit card commercial done about them...."And don't forget your MasterCard, because the don't accept American Express....."

Abo Surfer
01-08-2008, 13:36
Hey James. Sorry, been kinda busy past few days. I'm heading out on the trail sometime around March 25. It just depends on what my family is doing for Easter. Afterwards, I'm Springer bound! I'm sure we'll run into each other out there if you leave late March/ early April. As for the Gainesville outfitter, I'll try to contact one of my friends up there and get the name for ya.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2008, 13:43
Once again, Gainesville outfitter is Brasington's Trail Shop. I guess now I know who has me on ignore.

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2008, 13:50
Once again, Gainesville outfitter is Brasington's Trail Shop. I guess now I know who has me on ignore.
That's kind of close to me, do they have a website? I don't want to drive down there to see half a store dedicated to a fashionable line of "outdoor" attire.:D

James046
01-08-2008, 14:53
Thanks again everyone, I am finding more liinks and outfitters than i though was possible!! Currently looking online to get some ideas, prices, and will be taking a trip to the one in miami or the 2 in orlando/tampa area mentioned earlier. Thanks again.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2008, 15:23
That's kind of close to me, do they have a website? I don't want to drive down there to see half a store dedicated to a fashionable line of "outdoor" attire.:D
Just got off the phone with Rob123uf, the $1500 guy, who works at Brasington's Adventure Outfitters. Their phone # is 352 372 0521. Their website is, strangely enough, brasingtons.com. He says there's not really an inventory online. You should call them first. It's not huge like REI or Bill's in Largo. It's not like they have tents set up all over the place and tons of sleeping bags but it's decent. What can I say? Hope this helps.

xanadu
01-08-2008, 16:11
I live in Davie Florida and also can't find any good places.I'll check out that place in Miami. My shoes I'll get at Pro Bass.
Thanks to all.

gravityman
01-08-2008, 18:09
I lived in Gainesville for 5 years, and left from there on my 2001 thru.

Brasingtons is okay, but back in that day they hadn't seen the ultralight light (hehehe) yet...

Travel Country is a much better store, and quite knowledgible. I'd go there first. Black Water review is similar to what my experience was.

Gravity (GAWV 2001 GAME 2005)

johnny quest
01-09-2008, 12:07
brasingtons in gainesville was, in my opinion, a wonderful outfitter back in 2003-2004 time. i spent alot of time there. it was my retreat, my getaway when my daddy was there in town several timnes. website is here: http://www.brasingtons.com/index.php

the_iceman
01-09-2008, 14:07
brasingtons in gainesville was, in my opinion, a wonderful outfitter back in 2003-2004 time. i spent alot of time there. it was my retreat, my getaway when my daddy was there in town several timnes. website is here: http://www.brasingtons.com/index.php

On route 40 (Silver SPrings BLVD) near the center of town.

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2008, 19:37
removed, all infor already given on Basinger's.

James046
01-12-2008, 17:54
Thanks everyone, found one in St. Petersburgh. Talked with the staff and they sound like they have everything I am going to need and more! They seem thur-hiker savvy!! They are even holding an A.T. Thru hike clinic there on Feb 22, and a Backpacking Gear clinic on the 23rd if anyone is interested. It seems like this is the closest and best one for me, just over a 2 hour drive away. So I am planning a trip there probably this week or next!! Thanks again to all who posted. James

slow
01-12-2008, 21:54
Thanks everyone, found one in St. Petersburgh. Talked with the staff and they sound like they have everything I am going to need and more! They seem thur-hiker savvy!! They are even holding an A.T. Thru hike clinic there on Feb 22, and a Backpacking Gear clinic on the 23rd if anyone is interested. It seems like this is the closest and best one for me, just over a 2 hour drive away. So I am planning a trip there probably this week or next!! Thanks again to all who posted. James

Are you going to bill jackson's?