PDA

View Full Version : Safe parking for Ga/nC section

flagator
01-07-2008, 17:52
Hey all. I recently just did the section from Neels gap to Amicalola. I parked at Amicalola for its awesome parking rate of 3 bucks, also its a relatively safe place to park as it is across from the visitors center. I don't really have any interest in doing that section again anytime soon. I do want to piece the AT together piece by piece by doing more sections. If i wanted to do Neels to say the GA/NC border,where would be the best and safest place to park? From doing a section hike previously I know that NOC's parking is pretty safe and reasonable, but I probably wont have time to make it that much north. I thought maybe of parking at Amicalola again but than I would need to get 2 shuttles instead of just one, preferably i'd like to hike back to my car. I dont think Neels is a very good place to park. Where north of Neels would be a good place, say 30-50 miles.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 17:59
Cloud 9 Hostel let's you park a vehicle there. 1.5 miles from Dick's Creek gap

flagator
01-07-2008, 18:00
Lwolf, i can research if needed, but do you know if they charge a daily rate or is it a one time fee, itll only be a 2-4 day section. Also do you have any other suggestions as they operate for hikers only mid feb-may, and im not sure what my agenda is just yet.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:04
Lwolf, i can research if needed, but do you know if they charge a daily rate or is it a one time fee, itll only be a 2-4 day section

call 706-896-8959 or 706-896-1825 for more info. i parked there for a week at no charge

Waterbuffalo
01-07-2008, 18:11
FlGator, Anywhere in GA on a major rd has safe parking and no fees. Amicolola SP is the only one to charge people. I live in North GA if you need anymore info on certain rd crossings just shoot me a PM.
Where in Jacksonville do you live?

flagator
01-07-2008, 19:04
Well I mean I want to park somewhere thats pretty much on a trail head or close to one. I dont really know whats a main road and whats not, woody gap which is an area I have already covered so it doesnt matter...... but if you have to leave your car at woody gap, from what I hear you might as well keep it unlocked so that you dont have broken windows along with your stuff that is going to be stolen anyway. I dont like the idea of parking at any main road, I think its reasonable to pay 5-10 bucks a day for the insurance of knowing my vehicle is in a rather safe lot. I know things happen everywhere though.

flagator
01-07-2008, 19:04
Oh and I live near ponte vedra beach.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 19:08
There is parking right on the trail at Dicks Creek gap/US 76, 36 miles north of Neel gap

flagator
01-07-2008, 19:15
OK. But, is it someplace that you would leave your vehicle and honestly believe it was untouched? I am very unlucky when it comes to those kinds of things, im going to come back to an empty parking lot or a missing stereo I know it. It sounds like a good secluded place for robbery to me. Someone also suggest blueberry patch? Anyone have any personal experience with that

Doughnut
01-07-2008, 20:01
Joyce Monroe near Blueberry Patch will let you park I believe, and she offers shuttles. I can't find her card, her e-mail id [email protected].

i am from JAX too, near Craig Field

dough nut

generoll
01-07-2008, 20:57
safety anyplace is relative, but I parked my car over a weekend at Dicks Creek Gap and found it untouched. Cloud 9 is about a mile north of the gap and even if the hostel is closed I doubt they would have a problem with someone parking. Best to just call them and ask.

fmedlin
01-07-2008, 23:27
I have parked at Dick’s Creek parking area multiple times for 7 nights total and had no issues. Of course it only takes one break-in.

Another option would be to park in Franklin at Ron’s Budget In and have him shuttle you to Neel’s. Then hike into NC and exit at Deep Gap, down the Kimsey Creek Trail to the Campgrounds, call Ron for a pick for a total of about 55 miles. I used him last fall with no problems. This would keep you from have to retrace your steps.

BTW: Go Gators!

whitefoot_hp
01-08-2008, 13:46
Vogel State Park is right down the road from Neels Gap! Good news. It is just like Amicalola as far as parking layout. i would reccommend it.

Dances with Mice
01-08-2008, 14:02
Across the street, sorta, from Vogel is Goose Creek Cabins. I've left my van there for a week. Left my keys with the owner, even.

Up by Dicks Creek I'd contact Cloud 9 for parking. I'd leave my keys with them too. The owner is a W-B member.

DesertMTB
01-08-2008, 14:21
On the side of the road is a good, safe place. We parked there for more than a week and all was well. I was told by Ron Haven that it is a safe place. Best of all, it is free.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2008, 14:44
If you have a crappy beat up looking car like me you can leave it at any trailhead and you might find some donations taped to it when you return.:D

Actually, that isn't true. I parked my car in front of U-Pull-It on Normandy Av in Jax and when I got back out to it someone had swiped the idler arms.