PDA

View Full Version : Meridith's body found.

hacksaw
01-07-2008, 21:55
Just got word from a friend who owns a cadaver dog involved in the search that the missing hiker's body has been found in the Dawson Forest. Not sure which part.

Spcshiznit
01-07-2008, 21:59
I just saw it on the news.

Pray for her family.

OregonHiker
01-07-2008, 22:22
cnn story

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/07/georgia.hiker/index.html

Waterbuffalo
01-07-2008, 22:25
10 pm news conference from the GBI

wrongway_08
01-07-2008, 22:31
That S.O.B., he will rot in hell for this.

Very sad news.

My thought and Prayers are with the family......

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:32
10 pm news conference from the GBIAre they showing that on CNN or Nanacy Grace or something?

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:33
That S.O.B., he will rot in hell for this.

Very sad news.

My thought and Prayers are with the family...... Agreed.

Micky
01-07-2008, 22:39
My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Cuffs
01-07-2008, 22:54
Any National channels covering it????

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 22:56
fox news at 10

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2008, 22:57
Video of bond hearing

http://www.cbs46.com/news/14992456/detail.html#

A-Train
01-07-2008, 23:01
Good news, I guess, to hear a resolution, though I can't begin to imagine what her family and friends are dealing with. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of them. God, this hits home pretty hard with me. She's my age exactly, a hiker too. Coulda been a friend or classmate of mine, and I'm sure she was to many people.

Thoughtful Owl
01-07-2008, 23:04
Pray for the Emerson Family as well as for Gary Michael Hilton. Vengence is mine, thus sayeth the Lord. We will never understand!

Mad Hatter 08
01-07-2008, 23:10
I pray for her family at this time and that they recieve the justice they rightly deserve.

Morning Glory
01-07-2008, 23:10
This is all just so sad. I just don't know what to say right now.

Kirby
01-07-2008, 23:13
This is the first time I have ever been sent into tears over an internet story., this has hit very close to home for a lot of people, including myselfI'm lost for words. I'm angry, weary, and worried at the same time. I...I... I. ah, forget it, I can't even think straight right now.

Concerned about the future, my thoughts and prayers are with the family,
Kevin

Bearpaw
01-07-2008, 23:15
My prayers go out for her family and friends who will miss her.....

Israel
01-07-2008, 23:19
just saw the news conference. Gary Michael Hilton led them to the body- inside the dawson forest wildlife management area- about 10 miles from whre the dog was first found. Not much other info was given by GBI since they just located her body at 7:30 tonight.

Such a sad story.

Texasgirl
01-07-2008, 23:20
Adding prayers to the many already offered. May Meredith's family and friends be comforted knowing so many pray for them.

Waterbuffalo
01-07-2008, 23:20
An update Hilton they Person in custody took GBI investigators to the body this evening around 7:30. No other details as it is an active crime scene. Dawson Forest is a 25000 acre WMA about 25-30 miles south of Blood MTN

superman
01-07-2008, 23:23
I'm guessing that there may be fewer thru hikers this year. :-?

Bulldawg
01-07-2008, 23:27
I'm going to be over within 1/4 of Dawson Forest tomorrow. I have had a feeling ever since I got up this morning that is where she was. This guy also looks eeirly similiar to the guy wanted in connection with the death of an 11 year boy named Levi Frady in 1997. Frady was also found murdered in Dawson Forest. If this guy really is connected to all these people over the years, the man who took down those plates is TRULY A HERO!

FanaticFringer

You'd guess wrong.:rolleyes:

HIKER7s
Prayers have apparently been received to find her. I feel so bad.

At least they have her, the family will be able to go on from here. I am glad it wont go down as she was never found. However either way, its just so so sad.

Prayers to the family

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2008, 23:31
While I am quite sorrowful that this was the outcome, I am very grateful that her family will be able to take their daughter home for burial. It would have been very hard for them to leave without her. May she rest in peace and her family be comforted.

superman
01-07-2008, 23:38
You'd guess wrong.:rolleyes:

You may very well be right. We'll see. I was thinking that for those who were insecure about hiking the trail before this event it might make them decide to do something else.

Miss Janet
01-07-2008, 23:49
I am so broken hearted for everyone... her Mom and Dad and the rest of her family... her friends... all the people that have been looking for her... and for all of us as well. The family has been touched by an evil we can never understand. Al we can do is hope that time will help to heal. I hope the "process" goes quickly so Meredith's family can have some justice... but I also hope it is a careful investigation and clears some of these other heartbreaking cases so these other families can have closure as well.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2008, 23:54
I'm guessing that there may be fewer thru hikers this year.
If anything, this increases my urge to get on the AT; I think I speak for many. This only fills me with extreme sorrow that can only be matched by anger. Now more than ever, I want to see these vagrants and I will hold my tounge, but if they do anything in the slightest bit out of bounds, after being warned that that behavior is unacceptable on the trail, I will not ignore it.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 23:56
We carry
Oh how so
The moments given
Spending
In love
In Vision
Defining a path
Our trail
Reaching by step
To answers that lie beyond the meeting of earth
And heavens
To answers that breathe as we do
As the seas breathe their storms
upon us
We face the gale
Rapture regardless
Should the tempest consume our vessel
And disencumber a joyous soul

For Meredith.

d'shadow
01-08-2008, 00:02
What happened to Meredith can happen to a woman anytime, anywhere, city, town, forest. I grieve for the family, and as the mother of a grown daughter, can only imagine their pain right now. My heart goes out to anyone who knew her. What a beautiful girl.
Everyone should continue to "walk their own walk", and I will continue to hike my own hikes, with friends or solo.
If for no other reason, celebrate your enjoyment of a hike on a beautiful day for her, and remember she loved the out of doors, just as we do. And her spirit will live on through those of us who share a love of hiking.

Wanderingson
01-08-2008, 00:07
A very somber day for all. Our hearts and prayer to Meredith's family and friends. Each of us have been touched by this sad and tragic event.

berninbush
01-08-2008, 00:10
Gary Michael Hilton led them to the body- inside the dawson forest wildlife management area- about 10 miles from whre the dog was first found.

I figured they should be looking near the dog. That was the best clue.

For the family's sake, I'm very glad they found the body and that the guy has effectively confessed. The grief is horrible in any case but they didn't need unanswered questions to make it worse. And I'm glad he won't be able to hurt anyone else.

They'll all be in my prayers.

Tinker
01-08-2008, 00:16
Pray for the Emerson Family as well as for Gary Michael Hilton. Vengence is mine, thus sayeth the Lord. We will never understand!

Vengence is mine, I will repay saith the Lord. Hopefully, this man will meet the Lord of his free will, or he will meet the Lord on HIS terms.
So sad, this loss.

Camper Fun
01-08-2008, 00:27
What a senseless waste of a beautiful life!

For sure, no one from White Blaze will be hiking this year without Meredith on thier minds. She will be our hero.

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 00:31
What a senseless waste of a beautiful life!

For sure, no one from White Blaze will be hiking this year without Meredith on thier minds. She will be our hero.
A feather attached to each of my hiking sticks - so I don't forget. . . to remember. Katahdin to Springer.

River Runner
01-08-2008, 00:47
My heart is just breaking now for a beautiful young lady who will never get to experience many of the joys we take for granted in our journey in this life - the excitement of settling into a first home by a couple in love, the birth of a child, the pride of seeing that child grow, and the joy of growing old with someone you love. All cut too short by evil that is hard to understand.

My thoughts and prayers are with her family, boyfriend, and friends that as they struggle through this difficult time that the peace that passeth all understanding will come to be theirs, and that the time will come when their pain is eased and that they are able to think only of the joy they experienced when they were with Meredith.

Newb
01-08-2008, 09:06
I posted this info under the "Sensitive" area, but thought I'd share it here, too.
I was looking up the background of Gary Hilton (the suspect in the case of the murdered hiker in Georgia) and found a mention of the a person with the same name having been a mental patient in Colorado as recently as early 2007.
He is quoted (toward the end) in this article:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_5618687
Of interest is that the "Gary Hilton" quoted in the article was best friends with Tyrone Jones, another mental patient who escaped custody to commit crimes.

Is it at all possible it's the same guy?

Hooch
01-08-2008, 09:11
A feather attached to each of my hiking sticks - so I don't forget. . . to remember. Katahdin to Springer.Maybe any WB members who go the way of Blood Mountain this year should start a rock cairn in memory of Meredith.

HIKER7s
01-08-2008, 09:16
Maybe any WB members who go the way of Blood Mountain this year should start a rock cairn in memory of Meredith.

VERY GOOD IDEA HOOCH!

Hooch
01-08-2008, 09:18
Maybe any WB members who go the way of Blood Mountain this year should start a rock cairn in memory of Meredith.

VERY GOOD IDEA HOOCH!It's simple, but every WB member who goes there will know what it stands for and remember that no matter what, we will not be deterred from the trail.

Dances with Mice
01-08-2008, 09:19
Hacksaw, for sure, and maybe some others in this area remember Dawson Forest being the setting of another tragedy (http://www.ganet.org/gbi/homicides/frady.html).

SGT Rock
01-08-2008, 09:21
I like the idea of starting a rock carin on Blood Mountain.

Dances with Mice
01-08-2008, 09:25
I like the idea of starting a rock carin on Blood Mountain.It sounds nice but I've seen what has happened to that shelter.

Sly
01-08-2008, 09:26
I like the idea of starting a rock carin on Blood Mountain.

Yeah, I was just reading that, me too, but where on Blood. I'll stop by on my way to the SoRuck, if not before.. If someone starts one and has a GPS could they waypoint it.

Newb
01-08-2008, 09:28
One of the sad outcomes of an event like this is that it drives a wedge between people. I enjoy meeting and talking with people I meet on the trail or while hiking/camping. Now, even a friendly nod and "hello" might be met with suspicion. Every time I meet someone on the trail are they gonna be thinking, "hmmm, I hope he isn't a psycho". ??

Sly
01-08-2008, 09:30
One of the sad outcomes of an event like this is that it drives a wedge between people. I enjoy meeting and talking with people I meet on the trail or while hiking/camping. Now, even a friendly nod and "hello" might be met with suspicion. Every time I meet someone on the trail are they gonna be thinking, "hmmm, I hope he isn't a psycho". ??

I don't know, there were few creeps before, now there's one less. I don't think anyone needs to be any more guarded than they've always been

Hooch
01-08-2008, 09:30
Yeah, I was just reading that, me too, but where on Blood. I'll stop by on my way to the SoRuck, if not before.. If someone starts one and has a GPS could they waypoint it.I've never beenthat way, yet, so not sure where to start it. Maybe some of the many WB members who have been there or know the area well can help out in that regard.

nitewalker
01-08-2008, 09:31
i am so happy that meredith's body has been found.. now the family can give her a respectfull goodbye as she well deseves.. "may the bright memories of meridith shine forever along the path of life"

god bless you all

nitewalker

HIKER7s
01-08-2008, 09:37

yep, AND the infection now crawling around the hearts of the new people on the trail, such as currently attempting a thru or gearing up for one. THERE HAS to be a percentage of these people now re-considering.

And in the same arena are the feelings we now all have to check up as we go through our endeavors out there. The experience helps a little as we dig out our mental check notes we list out in our heads as we go forth. We raise the bar on our awareness some..to go along with the crazy meter on the trail, which IMO will be high this year.

While I hate the fact this event even took place, the fact that it did will effect many.

jersey joe
01-08-2008, 09:39

I agree superman, this tragedy will probably scare some who were already wary of setting out on the trail. This also helps underline the importance of the buddy system. Hiking alone is much more dangerous than hiking with someone else.

SGT Rock
01-08-2008, 09:39
I think there is a possibility (and I hate trying to forcast how people think) that even when some do decide to start - that this event will nag on their minds and end up as one reason they get off the trail. Imagine every time you meet someone on the trail you have to make a decision if they are a psycho killer or on the other end have people look at you and be wary of you as they try to decide if you are a threat.

Sly
01-08-2008, 09:41
yep, AND the infection now crawling around the hearts of the new people on the trail, such as currently attempting a thru or gearing up for one. THERE HAS to be a percentage of these people now re-considering.

Maybe a very small percentage. Not for nothing stuff like this happens all the tiime. When someone gets kidnapped from a mall, I don't think it stops very many from shopping.

HIKER7s
01-08-2008, 09:46
I think there is a possibility (and I hate trying to forcast how people think) that even when some do decide to start - that this event will nag on their minds and end up as one reason they get off the trail. Imagine every time you meet someone on the trail you have to make a decision if they are a psycho killer or on the other end have people look at you and be wary of you as they try to decide if you are a threat.

Hey SGT,

Nag potential,exactly. When it gets like this, the stress level is exactly what you'd like not to have out there. Always checking sounds, quick-trigger sleeping, thinking about that person you just passed WAY too long, over analyzing people, etc. Not looking like a nice time out for some, if you have to worry about all this.

mambo_tango
01-08-2008, 09:47
did this guy have a trail name or anything?

maxNcathy
01-08-2008, 09:47
Peace to all.

"Let me see my brothers/sisters through the eyes of truth and not of judgment...all hatred is self hatred." ACIM

SGT Rock
01-08-2008, 09:52
He wasn't really a hiker - he was a vagrant living out of his van locally. When I stopped by Martin's Dixie Depot they were talking about him. Apparently he had been around that area for a while. The time he came in the store he had the dog out in the van and came in and started wandering around the store. He wandered around for a while not buying anything, but more like casing the place. It creeped the workers out so bad one of them hit the silent robbery alarm. But he was gone before the police got there.

If you have ever been to Martin's Dixie Depot, you would know starting any crap there would be a bad, bad idea. The owner has lots and lots of guns, security cameras, and you can tell by the place he is the sort that sits around and prays for someone to try something at his store. That is probably why he left there and never came back or tried anything around the store.

superman
01-08-2008, 09:54
When Pat and I hiked on the Florida Trail we met more than a few people who were certain that we were homeless, down on our luck, neer do wells. What we looked like was hikers. People who don't know about hiking see hikers very different. We didn't get much news coverage of Meridith's case in my area but I'd guess that the south was saturated with it. I can see middle aged, haggered looking male hikers being eyed with caution after this.

Sly
01-08-2008, 09:55
If you have ever been to Martin's Dixie Depot, you would know starting any crap there would be a bad, bad idea. The owner has lots and lots of guns, security cameras, and you can tell by the place he is the sort that sits around and prays for someone to try something at his store.

That's kind of funny!

cowboy nichols
01-08-2008, 10:06
There is discussion here in Tl. Fl. that there may be a connection to Hilton and a recent murder of a woman on the road north of Tallahasee, according to the news the local police are meeting with Ga. police . I don't know if this has been taken up on national news. My prayers are with the family.

SGT Rock
01-08-2008, 10:07
When Pat and I hiked on the Florida Trail we met more than a few people who were certain that we were homeless, down on our luck, neer do wells. What we looked like was hikers. People who don't know about hiking see hikers very different. We didn't get much news coverage of Meridith's case in my area but I'd guess that the south was saturated with it. I can see middle aged, haggered looking male hikers being eyed with caution after this.
I've had it happen to me before. I was backpacking and instead of the old standard T-Shirt I was hiking in a silk Hawaiian print. There was this one time that a party of three stopped and only the guy came up to talk to me while everyone eyed me like some deranged hillbilly. I thought it was funny.

Auntie Mame
01-08-2008, 10:07
I agree with Sly, its no different than before. Predators show up a zillion times less often on trail than off. And there is no real defense against one with those intentions. Greater connection and attention to one another's well being is a wholesome response to this, in my opinion.
A cairn that we know is for Meredith's memory, and feathers on our hiking sticks are powerful and empowering gestures of caring and community. Hyper vigilence will not change the number of predators out there, only damage our own connection and sense of trust in the trail community.
With much heartfelt concern for us all, Mame

rafe
01-08-2008, 10:08

A big part of the trail experience (imo) is meeting new and "strange" people almost every day. Every one will be different. Humans are currently available in about seven billion flavors, though you may only encounter a tiny subset of these (a few thousand, perhaps) between Springer and Katahdin.

As tragic as this incident is, the world has not fundamentally changed, nor has my attitude changed relative to the remaining (seven billion minus one) humans on the planet. You've been in Iraq, Rock. You know the score. Tragedy is part of the human condition. This time it hit close to home, to a pretty young white woman.

I walked a beautiful stretch of AT in early September of 2005. The weather was gorgeous up in MA. It was a wonderful hike. There was a tragedy of major proportions taking place during my hike. A bit over two years ago. Does anyone remember?

Hooch
01-08-2008, 10:08
There was this one time that a party of three stopped and only the guy came up to talk to me while everyone eyed me like some deranged hillbilly.If the shoe fits........:D Gotta love ya Rock! See ya for KP at SoRuck!

mudhead
01-08-2008, 10:11
middle aged, haggered looking male hikers being eyed with caution after this.

he is the sort that sits around and prays for someone to try something at his store.

Probably will be more of each now.

I usually try to look at the camera and smile, 2X now.

Pedestrian
01-08-2008, 10:12
did this guy have a trail name or anything?

The lady that they interviewed in Dekalb county that knew him and ordered his baton said his nick-name was Mack.

I don't know why.

brotheral
01-08-2008, 10:15
My heart of compassion and my prayers go out to this family and friends..... May God's love and peace be with all of us during this sad time.
I'm proud to be associated with this Whiteblaze Community !!
With Love, Sympathy, & Prayers...........BrotherAL

Critterman
01-08-2008, 10:20
There is discussion here in Tl. Fl. that there may be a connection to Hilton and a recent murder of a woman on the road north of Tallahasee, according to the news the local police are meeting with Ga. police . I don't know if this has been taken up on national news. My prayers are with the family.

If this guy is a serial killer, there may be other victims near where Meredith found. I bet that police will comb that whole area.

Pedestrian
01-08-2008, 10:24
I think a rock cairn is a great idea. I think it sould located on the switchbacks above Flatrock Gap were the boyfriend found some Meredith's hiking equipment.

Maybe we could organize all memorial service for her this weekend and build a cairn together.

Let me know what you think.

JAK
01-08-2008, 10:26
I'm really glad they found her body. I can't imagine the horror of losing my daughter but if I never found the body I would be totally insane and useless for the rest of my days. I hope the family can start healing and get some sort of a life back on this earth. Prayers to Meredith. May her soul rest.

Hooch
01-08-2008, 10:28
I think a rock cairn is a great idea. I think it sould located on the switchbacks above Flatrock Gap were the boyfriend found some Meredith's hiking equipment.

Maybe we could organize all memorial service for her this weekend and build a cairn together.

Let me know what you think.Next weekend is SoRuck, mayeb then would be a good time to do it. I'm sure that there will be some kind of memorial for Meredith there. I know Fishin Fred printed up a bunch of memorial bumper stickers to pass out @ SoRuck.

Sly
01-08-2008, 10:34
I know Fishin Fred printed up a bunch of memorial bumper stickers to pass out @ SoRuck.

He's doing some for the PaRuck too...

Hooch
01-08-2008, 10:36
He's doing some for the PaRuck too...Definitely a good man, thanks Sly and many, many thanks to Fishin Fred. Sly, do you think we can arrange a little time @ SoRuck for a memorial or a vigil or some sort?

SGT Rock
01-08-2008, 10:39
I think SoRuck weekend would be a great time to go down there.

Hooch
01-08-2008, 10:41
I think SoRuck weekend would be a great time to go down there.I'd be happy to break from KP to go, let me know!

Cindy from Indy
01-08-2008, 10:43

Nope, not re-considering at all!! I refuse to be fearful. Careful, yes, but not fearful! I am more determined than ever now!!! I'll have pink bows on my hiking boots in Meredith's memory!! The rock cairn at Blood Mtn is a great idea.

I am so mad I could spit!!! :mad: These stupid pyscho jerks are everywhere, not just on the trail. If a lady carries herself with confidence and purpose and uses some common sense, she'll be alright. But, as someone else said, if a person really wants to kill you, they will. But that's true everywhere, not just the trail.

My hike is about hiking. It's not about getting to go into town or to party. I will need to go into town for re-supplying, however, my relations with people will be strictly with other hikers on the trail.

This website has such awesome and sage advice. All hikers, but especially the newbie lady hikers, should take all this advice into consideration. Do whatever makes you feel safe and able to sleep at night.

GA>ME '08 OR BUST!!!!

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 10:44
How more precious our sisters are on the trail now.
Have a great hike Cindy!!!!:) :) :)

Hooch
01-08-2008, 10:53
Nope, not re-considering at all!! I refuse to be fearful. Careful, yes, but not fearful! I am more determined than ever now!!! I'll have pink bows on my hiking boots in Meredith's memory!! The rock cairn at Blood Mtn is a great idea.

I am so mad I could spit!!! :mad: These stupid pyscho jerks are everywhere, not just on the trail. If a lady carries herself with confidence and purpose and uses some common sense, she'll be alright. But, as someone else said, if a person really wants to kill you, they will. But that's true everywhere, not just the trail.

My hike is about hiking. It's not about getting to go into town or to party. I will need to go into town for re-supplying, however, my relations with people will be strictly with other hikers on the trail.

This website has such awesome and sage advice. All hikers, but especially the newbie lady hikers, should take all this advice into consideration. Do whatever makes you feel safe and able to sleep at night.

GA>ME '08 OR BUST!!!! Wow! You go girl! Great idea on the pink bows, but sure they won't stay that color for long.

Sly
01-08-2008, 10:56
Way to go, Cindy from Indy!

gldwings1
My thoughts and prayers go out to Meredith's family and friends and to Emma who has lost her hiking partner. Please don't think I am jaded and thoughtless by saying this, not my intent at all but this is not something specific to the trail. I agree with everything that has been said. Yes there are would-be hikers who will now be reluctant to hike. There will be would-be thru hikers who will now be reluctant.
This sick SOB could just as easily be in my suburb (where police have warned us to watch for a shady character suspected of raping school age girls). The trail is a great place for some twisted person to perpetrate some demented act, that's probably why many horror films are set in wooded areas. When we hike, we are there to relax so we would like to be less vigilant. We still love the woods. We will honor Meredith by remembering her as we hike. Maybe we will be more likely to watch that Shady character whom we see on the trail a little more closely. Maybe we will "quick trigger" sleep. But if you stop doing what you love because of the possibility of something bad happening to you, you are giving control of your life to someone else. This guy deserves to rot on Earth, and then in Hell. But don't make him so powerful that he governs your life. Let's be a community, as we say we are, and watch each others backs; and LNT;and enjoy the wildland that is so rapidly disappearing. Damn him for taking away the life of an innocent human being, but damn him even more if he is able to keep the rest of us from doing what we love because of his sick twisted ways. Sorry for rambling, just my 2 cents.

See you out there.

Chuck

Hooch
[quote=Cindy from Indy;495671]I'll have pink bows on my hiking boots in Meredith's memory!! [quote] By the way, I think that's a great idea for all the gals here for all the gals who are thru-hiking this year to do. Or the guys too, even. :D

Hooch
01-08-2008, 10:58
My thoughts and prayers go out to Meredith's family and friends and to Emma who has lost her hiking partner. Please don't think I am jaded and thoughtless by saying this, not my intent at all but this is not something specific to the trail. I agree with everything that has been said. Yes there are would-be hikers who will now be reluctant to hike. There will be would-be thru hikers who will now be reluctant.
This sick SOB could just as easily be in my suburb (where police have warned us to watch for a shady character suspected of raping school age girls). The trail is a great place for some twisted person to perpetrate some demented act, that's probably why many horror films are set in wooded areas. When we hike, we are there to relax so we would like to be less vigilant. We still love the woods. We will honor Meredith by remembering her as we hike. Maybe we will be more likely to watch that Shady character whom we see on the trail a little more closely. Maybe we will "quick trigger" sleep. But if you stop doing what you love because of the possibility of something bad happening to you, you are giving control of your life to someone else. This guy deserves to rot on Earth, and then in Hell. But don't make him so powerful that he governs your life. Let's be a community, as we say we are, and watch each others backs; and LNT;and enjoy the wildland that is so rapidly disappearing. Damn him for taking away the life of an innocent human being, but damn him even more if he is able to keep the rest of us from doing what we love because of his sick twisted ways. Sorry for rambling, just my 2 cents.

See you out there.

ChuckWell stated, my friend. :D

gldwings1
01-08-2008, 10:59
Cindy, gl! Look forward to blogs from the trail. Sgt Rock, Hooch and I will ride with ya down to Ga and hike wherever ya wanna go. Hooch is dying to send ya off on yer TH right. Had difficulty talking him into SoRuck and I think that did it. See ya there!:banana

Chuck

Hooch
01-08-2008, 11:01
Had difficulty talking him into SoRuck and I think that did it. Did not. :p

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2008, 11:04
As tragic as this incident is, the world has not fundamentally changed, nor has my attitude changed relative to the remaining (seven billion minus one) humans on the planet. You've been in Iraq, Rock. You know the score. Tragedy is part of the human condition. This time it hit close to home, to a pretty young white woman.

I agree, this struck close to home. And we'll sympathize, mourn, and go on, and for the most part those of us who were not her family will forget. That's how life works. Tragedy is unfortunately a part of life. My views now are no different than they were several months ago while we were discussing risk and safety on the trail.

I walked a beautiful stretch of AT in early September of 2005. The weather was gorgeous up in MA. It was a wonderful hike. There was a tragedy of major proportions taking place during my hike. A bit over two years ago. Does anyone remember?

Hurricane Katrina

To put it all in some perspective, 30,000 people starve to death every day. Tragedy comes in all shapes and sizes, and we insulate ourselves from most of it. If we didn't, we couldn't function.

Sly
01-08-2008, 11:10
Sly, do you think we can arrange a little time @ SoRuck for a memorial or a vigil or some sort?

There's always been a Sunday Devotional, usually led by Circuit Rider and Sherlock. I'm not sure if they plan on being there, but Queen Diva will.

naturejunkie
01-08-2008, 11:16
My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Blissful
01-08-2008, 11:31
This was such a terrible tragedy. I am glad though the guy finally confessed and now the family - and all of us - can grieve and go on.

HIKER7s
01-08-2008, 11:32

See you out there.

Chuck

Well said however this event should never take away from us our "world" so to speak. It will however put the guards on for awhile and thats just plain being human. No one can tell me the next time you out there your not going to do something to alter the way youve done things (that you havent done since just after the last incident )

Think of it as a kind of internal awareness inventory. We will think or do something different (or more cautious) than we have been doing.

nice ramble for 2 cents and yes this event cuts right into the specifics of the trail

HIKER7s
01-08-2008, 11:38
Even though this tragedy shakes us to the core. I dont know of any dedicated AT hikers or for that matter any veteran who would give up on going out there.

if it was a direct family member even, it might take you a much longer time to do it.

It would have to come to old west parameters with gun toting hikers and shelter duels to make me stop hiking the AT.

then Id find a lost trail in South America to continue on

NICKTHEGREEK
01-08-2008, 11:54
This is the first time I have ever been sent into tears over an internet story., this has hit very close to home for a lot of people, including myselfI'm lost for words. I'm angry, weary, and worried at the same time. I...I... I. ah, forget it, I can't even think straight right now.

Concerned about the future, my thoughts and prayers are with the family,
Kevin

I've never seen anyone blubber -type before.

ATSeamstress
01-08-2008, 12:00
Hurricane Katrina

To put it all in some perspective, 30,000 people starve to death every day. Tragedy comes in all shapes and sizes, and we insulate ourselves from most of it. If we didn't, we couldn't function.

I remember! I was on the trail too. We generally try to reach the car early in the morning and drive straight home, but we got ahead of schedule and reached the car mid-day and I was too exhausted to drive all the way home, so we drove about 1/2 way and stayed at a motel. It was all over the news! We hadn't been listening to the radio so we didn't have a clue.

Prayers go out to Meredith's family and friends. Praise God for that alert hiker who followed his instinct and wrote down the license number. May God bless and keep all AT hikers this year, whether they be out for a day, a week, or the season. My heart is breaking.

Cindy from Indy
01-08-2008, 12:39
Cindy, gl! Look forward to blogs from the trail. Sgt Rock, Hooch and I will ride with ya down to Ga and hike wherever ya wanna go. Hooch is dying to send ya off on yer TH right. Had difficulty talking him into SoRuck and I think that did it. See ya there!:banana

Chuck

That would be great, except that I'm flying into Atlanta and shuttling from there. You guys can be my shuttle to Springer if you like. :D

I'm sure the memorial to Meredith will be well underway by that time (April) but perhaps we could put on a few finishing touches???

SoRuck sounds fun! And it should prove to be a very inspirational time for a lot of hikers. Would love to go.

mambo_tango
01-08-2008, 12:41
i don't think this will affect hiking as much as hitch hiking.

Captn
01-08-2008, 12:58
I'm going to tie a small piece of pink ribbon on my backpack, to honor one of our own that has fallen in sensless violence.

Some friends and I will be out this weekend here in Texas .... we're planning a short memorial when we reach camp, just to remember her by.

Go with God young one ... go with God.

hacksaw
01-08-2008, 13:06
Hacksaw, for sure, and maybe some others in this area remember Dawson Forest being the setting of another tragedy (http://www.ganet.org/gbi/homicides/frady.html).

Yes, I do remember. Very well I remember.

While reference has been made to the Frady child's murder and having followed the investigation of that case I think I can say without reservation that these crimes are in no way connected save the fact that both bodies were within the confines of a very large WMA.

The Frady child was shot where he fell and not moved from that spot.

This crime was comitted elsewhere and the body dumped in Dawson Forest.

One must understand that Dawson Forest is a multi tract preserve with many uses. Lands are seperated by many road miles and there multiple points of entry, some controlled and others not.

In the '50s and early sixties the largest tract of land was the site of a large nuclear development facility that included the production of enriched uranium as well as development of the ill fated nuclear powered bomber project, later scrapped as dangerous, impractical and finally, unnecessary.

Aftewr the NEC abandoned their facility the area was simply posted as government property, keep out then they locked the gates and left.

As you might imagine the area became an immediate attraction to all manner of criminal activity. This is far from the first body ever dumped here.

SawnieRobertson
01-09-2008, 12:33
I've never seen anyone blubber -type before.

Kirby's post was excellent, perfectly sharing his/our dismay.--Kinnickinic

colbys
01-09-2008, 13:40
im so angry from what has happened to this innocent girl...
i say we take mr hilton out of prison during trail days,have the feds bring him to damascus,tie him to the front of one of the fire trucks in the hiker parade,and well dispense justice frontier style.
instead of throwing water ballons we throw rocks,then at night we take him down to the campground and burn him alive at the firepit.
im not joking here....this sick SOB is not even going to get the death penalty for her death he may get it if they can convict him in other murders,but with bloodsucking lawyers he might spend the rest of his life in solitary.

sorry,im venting...still really distraught over this whole thing...

partinj
01-09-2008, 13:59
I got a ideal why not cover him in honey and tie him to a tree in bear county. Thay said i will pray for the family and friend who will miss her and all the folks who beed fllow this story :mad: :mad:

Captn
01-09-2008, 18:11
I got a ideal why not cover him in honey and tie him to a tree in bear county. Thay said i will pray for the family and friend who will miss her and all the folks who beed fllow this story :mad: :mad:

Over an ant hill