PDA

View Full Version : Pea Pod

Bulldawg
01-07-2008, 22:20
I am fixing to get my start on hammock camping and want to be warm for sure. I am thinking a pea pod might be much easier than trying to make under and over quilts. Is there anywhere with some detailed instructions? I've looked and cant find anything. Would it not be correct to just make a bag, with cinches on each end, velcro to connect the sides? Oh yeah, just a little smaller than the hammock or what? I mean if I had a 108" x 60" hammock, wouldn't I just need to make a 108" x 120" pea pod? Maybe Im a little lost on my figures. Waiting to hear all the suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:24
If you want to know anything or everything about the Pea Pod, talk to its creator, Ed Speer at Speer Hammocks. Ask away and he'll tell you what he knows, but what he makes is top quality stuff. Invest a few bucks a buy one. If you're dead set on making one, he can be reached thru his website (http://www.speerhammocks.com/). Good luck either way. :D

Ewker
01-07-2008, 22:26
If you want to know anything or everything about the Pea Pod, talk to its creator, Ed Speer at Speer Hammocks. Ask away and he'll tell you what he knows, but what he makes is top quality stuff. Invest a few bucks a buy one. If you're dead set on making one, he can be reached thru his website (http://www.speerhammocks.com/). Good luck either way. :D

ditto on what Hooch said, btw he has one on sale right now http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Sale.htm

also look at his snugfits..on sale also

Bulldawg
01-07-2008, 22:26

Well, Im on a budget, otherwise I wouldn't make anything, I'd just whoop out the card and charge it. But, I'll contact him nonetheless. Thanks!

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:28
Well, Im on a budget, otherwise I wouldn't make anything, I'd just whoop out the card and charge it. But, I'll contact him nonetheless. Thanks!
No sweat, I know Ed and he's a great guy. I don't know anyone who loves to talk hammocks as much as him. Do you have a hammock picked out yet or are you doing DIY? Sign up on Hammock Forums yet? (hint, hint) :D

Bulldawg
01-07-2008, 22:36
No sweat, I know Ed and he's a great guy. I don't know anyone who loves to talk hammocks as much as him. Do you have a hammock picked out yet or are you doing DIY? Sign up on Hammock Forums yet? (hint, hint) :D

10-4, Im on Hammock Forums, same name, thinking about probably posting this same thread over there, unless you advise against it, since a lot of the same people are over there, that are here.

And yeah, Im gonna do the hammock itself DIY too. Man, I'd love to have one of those Speer Pea Pods, but I just can't swing almost $400 for one. Just NO WAY I could convince my wife of that expenditure.:rolleyes:

Hooch
01-07-2008, 22:46
10-4, Im on Hammock Forums, same name, thinking about probably posting this same thread over there, unless you advise against it, since a lot of the same people are over there, that are here.

And yeah, Im gonna do the hammock itself DIY too. Man, I'd love to have one of those Speer Pea Pods, but I just can't swing almost $400 for one. Just NO WAY I could convince my wife of that expenditure.:rolleyes:Go ahead and post it over there too if you like. You're a lot more likely to get other responses. From experience, I've never slept in a Pea Pod, but I have slept in Snug Fit underquilts, both prototype and the finished product. Very sweet! :D

Bulldawg
01-07-2008, 22:57
OK Hooch, what if I wanted to try an underquilt, what is the best way to attached it to the hammock? I initialy only be doing hikes frm late April until college football season starts. So theorectiaclly, in Georgia, the lows should be in the mid 40s to the mids 50s. Whats your advice?

Tinker
01-08-2008, 00:26
I just bought a Golite Feather-Lite long bag (regular girth) to go over my Byer hammock. I removed the individual cords from the Byer and replaced them with 6mm climbing accessory cord run through each end of the hammock from side to side. I put one rope through the foot opening of the sleeping bag and tie it to a tree, run the other end around another tree, slide the sleeping bag toward the foot of the hammock, sit in, lie back, then pull the bag over me. Though the bag's only rated to 40 degrees, I've used it down to 9 degrees with just long underwear and been comfortable. This is the bottom of the range (I am a warm sleeper). I have pictures on Webshots under Tinkerdan's winter hammock. The pictures are with the bag I used to use. One thing to consider is that if the bag hangs loosely under the hammock, it won't insulate effectively. You need the insulation right up against your body for it to be most effective.

Just Jeff
01-08-2008, 07:53
There are a few peapod-type DIY things on the net, but I haven't seen full instructions. Mirage has one...forget the url but search for "mirage over under quilt" and it should come up.

Hooch
01-08-2008, 07:59
OK Hooch, what if I wanted to try an underquilt, what is the best way to attached it to the hammock? I initialy only be doing hikes frm late April until college football season starts. So theorectiaclly, in Georgia, the lows should be in the mid 40s to the mids 50s. Whats your advice?How to make a synthetic underquilt (http://www.kickassquilts.com/MakeTOC.html). I know what you're thinking and it's ok. You're welcome. :D