PDA

View Full Version : Care to Let me know what you think

Bulldawg
01-08-2008, 00:35
Menu attached for a three day, two night hike I am planning. Input please??

Appalachian Tater
01-08-2008, 00:47
I would want something more vegetable-like to go with my quesadilla like chips and salsa or some corn or rice and beans. You could even carry a salad. Some fresh fruit would be nice, too, but really it's whatever appeals to you. On a short hike the calorie intake isn't so important as long as you're not hungry.

I would make sure I had a little extra food for emergencies.

Bulldawg
01-08-2008, 00:50
I would want something more vegetable-like to go with my quesadilla like chips and salsa or some corn or rice and beans. You could even carry a salad. Some fresh fruit would be nice, too, but really it's whatever appeals to you. On a short hike the calorie intake isn't so important as long as you're not hungry.

I would make sure I had a little extra food for emergencies.

Apples are the fresh fruit I carry. I thought about some mexican rice with the quesadilla. If ya check the other worksheet I have some extras planned. Thanks for the input. Oh yeah, I havent done an overnight hike in hmmmmm, almost 20 years, so 3 days and 2 nights is not a "short hike" to me!!:):)

sarbar
01-08-2008, 12:11
Looks good though I agree with maybe 1/2 cup of instant mexi rice - it would make the meal :)
I tend to be the type though that adds dry vegetables to my dinners.

dessertrat
01-08-2008, 12:15
Ain't nobody ever starved in three days and two nights. Eat what you like, and is unlikely to give you GI problems.

Green Bean
01-08-2008, 12:51
2 mooner... i would add some steaks and some potatoes. ha j/k looks good johny ~GB

Lyle
01-08-2008, 13:02
Looks fine. You sure you want Mac & Cheese for lunch? Sometimes it's a pain to cook at lunch, but not unheard of.

If you are like me, it takes a couple of days for my appetite to kick in. I often go the first couple of days eating MUCH less than anticipated - extra snacks are good, usually just don't feel like cooking. YMMV

Edit: Forgot to say "Welcome back to backpacking!" Where you planning your trip? when? Hope you have a GREAT time!

sarbar
01-08-2008, 16:21
I always take kettle potato chips with me now on trips. Great for when I have no desire to drink - the potassium and light sprinkle of salt gets that going. The potassium also helps with having no cramps at night.
I am also a huge fan of mini bags of dried apricots. Yum!

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2008, 16:49
Something to keep in the back of your mind, as you continue to figure out how to make your hike work for you.

Food dehydrator. Best way to carry fresh fruits, vegetables and meat/poultry; I never go on a hike longer than a day without. Vegetables, especially tomatoes have a completely different taste when dehydrated, no water to dillute the taste.