PDA

View Full Version : overmountain shelter overnight

GSCOTT
01-08-2008, 01:14
where is the best place to start/ finish if one wanted to do an overnight or two night trip and stay at the overmountain shelter?

thanks

gulester
01-08-2008, 01:26
cant really answer you question but overmountain is windy so it can get extremely cold in that barn. i would not recommend staying there in the winter.

GSCOTT
01-08-2008, 01:29
had read that about the wind. something about a tobaco barn and the boards having big gaps.

might just take a tent and stay up the trail a bit.....

freefall
01-08-2008, 01:59
The Over Mountain shelter is only 5 miles N of Carver's Gap and 8.2 miles S of 19E. Both directions have great scenery but both are exposed so bad weather would cause delays. And they would both be mostly uphill but the 5 miles from Carver's has some steps built into the trail.

If it were me and I was hiking out and back, I would do the approach from 19E and head south. Just don't leave your vehicle there as it might not be safe.
If I were doing a one way hike I would probably hike north from Carver's as any snow/ ice would be worse on the north side of the mountain, hence making climbing easier but descent harder.
If making it a 2 night outing, I would continue on north to Mountaineer Shelter (camp beyond) which would be an 8.2+ hike return to 19E for pickup/car. A quicker last day from Mountaineer would be Walnut Mountain Rd but you would have to make sure your ride knows where the Trail crosses because if I'm correct, it is not marked well at all.

There have been so many break in at the trailhead at 19E I and the ATC would warn against it. Consider a shuttle or other options and make parking here a an absolute last resort!

Tennessee Viking
01-08-2008, 02:16
where is the best place to start/ finish if one wanted to do an overnight or two night trip and stay at the overmountain shelter?

thanks
well...if you like the cold, its the time of year. The winds around the Roan Highlands will be strong. Especially when crossing the balds.

If you want to cheat, you can park at the end of Roaring Creek Road off of 19E, and hiked up to the shelter. Or park a Hampton Cove, and hiked the OVT up to Yellow Mtn Gap.

But if you are brave and can bare the winter weather, its only a one night section down to 19E. One can start at Carvers Gap for just over a 5 mile hike to the shelter. The only hard part about the trek is the wash out section from Grassy Ridge down to Stan Murray. You are going down, but with a pack, wears on your ankles. Thats another problem, during the winter many rocks and roots will be wet and slippery, and possibly iced. Roaring Creek Valley is one of the best views with a full moon.

Your hike out is a 8.5 mile rollercoaster. Heading out of Yellow Mtn Gap at the start, then over and down Little Hump, then over and around Hump to Doll Flats. During the winter, you have to be cautious on the hike in front of Hump to Doll Flats. The trail is very rocky. You are basically rock hopping, and some rocks might be wet and icy. From Doll Flats, 3 miles down to 19E.

During the spring to fall, it is one of the most visited section hikes. During the Nobo pack, you might want to pack a tent. The Overmountain Shelter can become overfilled when school kids are around.

envirodiver
01-08-2008, 09:57
I've spent a couple of very cold nights in that barn. If you stay there I recommend that you take a couple of tarps. 1 to put over the open window to keep the wind from blowing through and another to sleep on to keep the wind from coming up through the cracks underneath you.

You can start at carver's gap and hike in to it.

GSCOTT
01-08-2008, 18:08
thanks for the suggestions

might just turn it into a day hike, and do an overnighter later in the season.

e-doc
01-12-2008, 23:12
Couple of other points. If there is snow, the balds may be bare and snow 2' deep from Grassy Ridge to Yellow Mt Gap and by Bradley Gap. (On a loop dayhike, on and off trail from Roaring Creek, I've postholed up Grassy from Yellow Mt gap in 2' snow: the going was slow.) The trail sections without much sun exposure has potential to be very icy. If you stay in the barn you may need a tent, don't bother with a tarp as it will be useless in bad wind (winter). Do not park at Bear Branch (US 19-E); your car will get broken into...........or worse.