PDA

View Full Version : Bivys

chris
10-03-2002, 15:05
I'm in the market for a bivy to use in conjunction with my tarp for winter/nasty weather. I'm planning to do a couple of 3 day trips in the Smokys this winter and want a bit more protection than the tarp alone. The bivy is primarily for protecting my sleeping bag against snow, either wind driven or on the ground, and to help me ride out winter storms (whether snow or rain) at higher elevations when I can't (or don't want to) hustle out. Since the bivy will be used in conjunction with a tarp, does not need to be completely spacious or fancy (not pole supports, for example). Are there any recommendations from people here? Mountain Hardwear's Conduit SL bivy, one by Oware, OR's winter sack, and, I think,
Bibler's winter sack all see to come pretty close to what I want. Needless to say, I'm looking for lightweight options only. This shouldn't be a problem since I need something really basic.

Thoughts? Comments?

Trail Yeti
10-03-2002, 15:08
Chris, I think Integral Designs makes some pretty good bivies that might fit into what you want. You should check out their website.
Yeti

highway
10-04-2002, 07:13
Integral Designs does indeed make some great biveys. I have used their salathe in the drier west very successfully and dont see why it would not work on the AT. It opens on both sides with zips and has a half length mosquito net so, on warm nights you have the option of only being half covered. I have used it with no tarp-just poncho handy beside me if I wake to cold droplets of rain and throw it over my head,, propped up with backpack behind me. I feel to claustrophobic all zipped up with head inside any bivey alone.

Weight: Bivy, Integral Designs Salathe (1.90); bag (0.06)Total 1.96 Lb.

I like it a lot. Put pad inside bivey, sleeping bag on top of that inside bivey and you are quite protected.