PDA

View Full Version : Mount LeConte shelter

Tater
12-24-2003, 10:33
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding the shelter at Mt. LeConte in the smokies. A few miles off the AT.

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Photo links?

Mice good/bad, water source reliable?

tlbj6142
12-24-2003, 11:38
I don't have first hand information, but I'll add a few words anyway. :D

This past Jan 2-5th, 2003, we hiked from NF gap along the AT to Pecks and back down to the Smokemont. Great hike, learned a lot about bad weather in the Smokies and the limits of my gear.

Our first night on the trail we stayed at Ice Water Shelter. There were 2 guys that do a winter hike every year thru the smokies in the shelter as well. They always stay at MT LeConte Shelter one night. They said that it is more "run down" than the other shelters, and a bit more "exposed". They also mentioned that if you are "lucky" you might get a chance to meet up with the ranger (?) that stays up there all year. Sometimes he "let's you into his place" to warm up. They never mentioned the water supply. They did mention that the Boulevard Trail (connects the AT to MT LeConte) is quite exposed on both sides.

A side note...
They brought a 12' (10'?) x 30' piece of tyvec with them. They had folded over the top 3 inches of it and placed eyelets every 2' or so. With about 50' of rope, they used this to "close off" the open side of the shelter (they did this the night we spent in Ice Water). That night a snow storm hit and the temps dropped from 55F to 22F along with 4"-6" of snow fall (and winds). These gearheads brought 2 digital thermometers with them as well. In the morning, the outside temp was 22F (not including the high winds), while the inside temp was a balmy 33F. I'm sure had we not had the shelter closed off, it would have been an uncomfortable night for some of us (mostly due to the winds).

Had we been able to get a fire started (wood was just too wet) in the shelter, I'm sure we could have been walking around in shorts!

If you go in the winter, you won't need snow shoes, but make sure you have gaiters (to keep snow out of your pants and boots) and some sort of traction device like Stablicers (google it), Yak Trax (google it) or in-step crampons. We had Stabilicers and they made walking over the packed ice a breeze. They are a bit heavy ~1.5# for the pair, but they are easy to take on and off.

Have fun...

whoops
01-03-2004, 18:41
The shelter at Mt. Leconte has been updated and is a lot nicer and cleaner now. They also took down that awful fencing.

deeddawg
01-04-2004, 00:22
The shelter at Mt. Leconte has been updated and is a lot nicer and cleaner now. They also took down that awful fencing.

Run down? NOT! At least note when I was there in July '03 -- it was renovated a couple years back, very nice. Same new design as IceH2O. Noticed no mice, but we hung our food on the bear cables. Our water source was pretty reliable... when my son and I wandered down to the Lodge and bought a couple T-shirts, the caretaker was happy to let us refill out of their (filtered) spigot. Yeah, I know, real back-country experience, buying t-shirts, eh? :)

Seriously, the spring is supposed to be the highest reliable spring in the East. This is hearsay though, so no guarantees.

whoops
01-04-2004, 01:17
Thats the renovation that I was talking about. I believe it was changed sometime during '02. Did you ever see it before then? Not a real lovely place.

MedicineMan
01-04-2004, 02:19
maybe yes maybe no, Fling Ryan took them and just last week the Roan had over 2.5 feet...there are lightweight models out there:

http://www.northernlites.com/elite.htm#Top

I remember waking up a few miles north of Big Bald with over a foot of snow that was completely unexpected...it was very slow going to Spivey Gap...Im just saying that in late Dec.,Jan,Feb,and early March it is possible to get snowed in, in fact when in high school 2 fellow hikers did a section in the Park and 3 days later were airlifted out to Fort Sanders Hospital with great hunger and minor frostbite, they had awokened to 3-4 foot snow. At least they were smart enough to stay put..

Tater
02-05-2004, 23:27
Here's a link to a recent pic of the LeConte shelter, after the bear fencing was removed:

http://summitpost.com/mountains/photo_link.pl/p/photo_id__65308__object_id__17699__type__user__mou ntain_id____route_id____user_id____order_by____lim it__

tlbj6142
02-06-2004, 10:22
Wow they have updated it. It looks more like Icewater now.

deeddawg
02-06-2004, 10:31
Wow they have updated it. It looks more like Icewater now.Yep, about two or three years ago if I remember the plaque correctly from when I was there last summer. (See my post above)

Very nice accomodations -- of course it may have helped that my son & I were there mid-week and had the place to ourselves. Only downside was all the folks coming up from the Lodge and asking the same questions again and again... Got to where we felt a bit like we were a zoo exhibit; shoulda started charging admission I guess. :)

attroll
02-23-2004, 11:32
Where is this shelter in and what shelters is it in between? I am trying to find it in the shlters list in the links of WhiteBlaze but it is not listed.

MOWGLI
02-23-2004, 11:43
Where is this shelter in and what shelters is it in between? I am trying to find it in the shlters list in the links of WhiteBlaze but it is not listed.

Troll, the shelter is not on the AT.

tlbj6142
02-23-2004, 11:53
Troll, the shelter is not on the AT.It is about 5 miles west of the AT. Turn off on the Boulevard Trail which is just south of the Icewater shelter.

attroll
02-23-2004, 11:55
So then it is not really a shleter associated with the Appalachian Trail. It sounds like it is a shelter for the Boulevard Trail right?

tlbj6142
02-23-2004, 12:00
So then it is not really a shleter associated with the Appalachian Trail. It sounds like it is a shelter for the Boulevard Trail right?It is just like the other non-AT shelters in the Smokies. This shelter happens to be located at the top of Mt. LeConte. There are 3-4 trails that lead to the shelter. The Boulevard Trail connects the AT to Mt. LeConte.

Is this shelter listed in the Databook and/or companion?

Just looked, it is not listed in the 2003 Companion.

tlbj6142
02-23-2004, 12:08
This really is a nice trail (and shelter per above comments). The Boulevard Trail is a true ridge trail. Exposed on both sides. Great views (assuming the weather is cooperating). Most folks probably wouldn't bother adding 10 miles to their thru-hike within the smokies to make the visit. As for some reason folks just want to "get out" of the Smokies as fast as possible. Probably due to the "restrictions" about camping. Which is odd as many folks say in or near shelters outside of the Smokies so how is this "restriction" a restriction?

bigcat2
07-09-2005, 21:45
I was searching through the forums and thought I'd bring this topic back to light. As a long delayed answer to tlbj6142 question I'll put my two cents worth in. I think a lot of ppl want to get out of the Smokies because they have to stay in the shelters. I know how I feel when someone tells me I have to do something rather than asking. I know it seems like the Smokies have a lot of restrictions, but it is good for the Park that they are in place. I spoke w/ one of the ridgerunners this May on my thru of the Smokies and he said there use to be like 100 to 125 ppl stay in the same spot overnight before they implemented the reservation system. I'm sure we can all see how quickly an area can be depleated w/ that many ppl staying in one spot over time. Granted, that wouldn't be an everynight number, but the significance is there none the less.

EMAN
07-10-2005, 19:37
Just so everyone is aware, there are NO FIRES up at the LeConte shelter. Too much cutting of live woodwork I reckon.
And, there is a warning regarding cooking of food and using natural facilities as opposed to the stinking privy. The warning says that if such practices continue, they would likely shut that shelter down completely.
The Ranger stays at the lodge 4 days a week and the one who occupied this position the week we were there in June '05 was a great guy. Came over to the clifftops for sunset and was very informative. Generally knew which peaks were which and a good amount of history regading LeConte. If you're into that sort of stuff.
Way too many touristas at sunset w/children approaching the shear drops for my comfort zone tho'.
We had no water problems as, yes, there is a spigot at the lodge area. Clean restrooms as well. There is also a spring nearby.
No one at the lodge area seemed to care that we drifted in there and refilled water and otherwise wandered around and I'd say that as long as you're civilized about your own wanderings, they won't say anything.

neo
07-10-2005, 21:02
i hiked to laconte shelter 1st time july 1999 via the alum bluff trail with a 45 ld pack.the secound time the boulevard trail with a 15 lb pack in august 2002 a bear harrassed us until dark,no one cooked dinner that night,the bear returned the next morning,i wished i had a better camera on that tripp:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6067/sort/1/cat/500/page/9

NINpigNIN
05-26-2006, 21:18
I also stayed there in early June of 2005, hiking up the Boulevard from Icewater Spring the night before. We started from Newfound Gap, took the AT to IceH20 where we dropped our packs, rested a bit, and then hoofed it to Charlies Bunion for sunset (amazing!). Spent the night at Icewater, then the next morning backtracked slighty to The Boulevard and took it to LeConte for the second night, then down Alum Cave Bluffs the next day to a second vehicle waiting for us.

The shelter was very nice. The three of us shared it with two very nice young ladies, and absolutely no mice that I can remember.

Be sure to check out High Point and add a rock to the cairn. LeConte is only 50' shorter than Clingman's Dome and when we were there it looked like the cairn was getting it about 20% of the way there. Cliff Tops was nice as well but the clouds were obscuring most of the view.

It was kind of eerie to be so high up that the clouds actually were rolling through the shelter like a fog.

Ewker
05-26-2006, 23:36
Just so everyone is aware, there are NO FIRES up at the LeConte shelter. Too much cutting of live woodwork I reckon.
And, there is a warning regarding cooking of food and using natural facilities as opposed to the stinking privy. The warning says that if such practices continue, they would likely shut that shelter down completely.
The Ranger stays at the lodge 4 days a week and the one who occupied this position the week we were there in June '05 was a great guy. Came over to the clifftops for sunset and was very informative. Generally knew which peaks were which and a good amount of history regading LeConte. If you're into that sort of stuff.
Way too many touristas at sunset w/children approaching the shear drops for my comfort zone tho'.
We had no water problems as, yes, there is a spigot at the lodge area. Clean restrooms as well. There is also a spring nearby.
No one at the lodge area seemed to care that we drifted in there and refilled water and otherwise wandered around and I'd say that as long as you're civilized about your own wanderings, they won't say anything.

Hey I was on that trip. Eman remember that buck that basically walked right up to us. I need to get back up there again.
Woodzie and I came up the Boulevard. We took a side trip to the Jump Off, nice views from it

Krewzer
05-27-2006, 07:59
I haven't been on Le Conte in a while, so it's good news to hear they've upgraded the shelter. The semi-loop from Newfound Gap, up the AT, Boulevard, Le Conte and down Alum Cave Bluff is a spetacular hike. There may be more fantastic views on this route than any other in the Park. You can also get great a sunrise from Myrtle Point and sunset from what we used to call High Rocks (I don't think this is the real name though). What ever it's name, it's one of the best places in the Smokies to watch the sun go down. Hitching a ride back to New Found Gap is a bit slow, but doable. If possible, I'd suggest going during the week, weekends get pretty busy in this part of the park.

NINpigNIN
05-27-2006, 09:13
There may be more fantastic views on this route than any other in the Park.

If you're lucky enough to stumble upon the unmarked Gracie's Pulpit (if I remember right it's about 1/2 way between the summit and Alum Cave Bluffs, at a small bend in the trail where there's a large boulder along the side of the trail that makes a good resting spot - just walk out past the trees on the boulder and there it is) it's got one of the most amazing views of Mt. LeConte and the surrounding area that there is.

The Solemates
05-30-2006, 09:42
If you're lucky enough to stumble upon the unmarked Gracie's Pulpit (if I remember right it's about 1/2 way between the summit and Alum Cave Bluffs, at a small bend in the trail where there's a large boulder along the side of the trail that makes a good resting spot - just walk out past the trees on the boulder and there it is) it's got one of the most amazing views of Mt. LeConte and the surrounding area that there is.

and winds that can knock you over on the right day!

Mouse
05-30-2006, 09:52
On my through hike I made a wrong turn and ended up there by accident after a hair-raising traverse of snow-clogged cliff-edged trail. I have to say, of all the places in the Smokies to get lost to, LeConte has to be the best! I got a nice shelter all to myself, resupply at the Lodge store, warmed up in a rocking chair by the stove where a nice gentleman invited me to dine with him in the Lodge....

No views though, which was just as well, as the fog hid the sheer drop off the edge of the trail.

mingo
05-30-2006, 10:59

that "warning" is posted on every shelter in the smokies. doesn't mean anything.

Gray Blazer
05-30-2006, 11:05
Good overnite trip going up from Alum Caves Bluff Trail off 441 in TN down a few miles from Newfound Gap. Also makes a good day hike (10 miles round trip) with a great view of Clingman's Dome. Straight up and then straight down. If you have 2 cars, you can start at Newfound Gap AT north to Boulevard then down the Alum Caves Bluff Trail. Just a little uphill, then level ridge walking, and then a lot of downhill.

CaptChaos
05-30-2006, 11:17
Troll, the shelter is not on the AT.

Hello all:

Not to take away from the fact that this website promotes the AT trail but the shelter you have been talking about the Le Conte shelter, or lets say the Le Conte Lodge area played a very important part in the GSMNP being granted National Park status.

I have only been halfway to Le Conte from Alum Cave Bluffs so I have not been there and can offer no remarks. But I know the area that is being talked about was a major reason why the Congress and Senate approved the creation of the GSMNP.

Is it part of the AT, no. Did the area play an important part in the creation of the GSMNP, yes. Granted, as others have said, if you are trying to get out of the Smokies, then hiking down the bolvard trail to Le Conte and then back to the AT is not really in your agenda for the day. But, if you want to see a place that played a role in the creation of the park then I would suggest that you stop by.

I have not made it yet myself to Le Conte Lodge. I had reservations years ago for my son and I and on our first trip out to backpack it did not go well. I ended my trek to the AT only .5 miles from it from the Tremont Inst trail. Blew my legs out and had to depend on my 11 year old son to take care of me until the next day when I could drag myself back to the trailhead. Regardless, we lost our reservations to Le Conte but I still want to go there.

Capt Chaos

NINpigNIN
02-07-2007, 12:37
Has anyone been to this shelter recently? When I was there in June of '05 the shelter was great but the privy was one of those plastic port-a-lets you see at construction sites and carnivals. I guess it is probably high traffic but the hope would be that they'd put in one of those nice mouldering privies like they have at Icewater, Double Spring or Spence.

Ewker
02-07-2007, 12:39
nope, still the same privy as of Oct, 2006.

little bear
03-09-2008, 00:50
i will be at Mt LeConte shelter in a couple of weeks, can you eat at the Inn's resturante without staying there? and if so does anyone know the price of a meal?

Bearpaw
03-09-2008, 00:59
i will be at Mt LeConte shelter in a couple of weeks, can you eat at the Inn's resturante without staying there? and if so does anyone know the price of a meal?

Unless you are a guest with reservations, you won't be able to buy meals at LeConte Lodge. They plan up to a year in advance so that they will have the right amount of food for guests.

Just treat it like any other backpacking trip and bring your own food that you can cook at the shelter.

Rifleman
03-09-2008, 02:11
It's a cold place to stay since the Park Service rocked up the fire place (yes I know some were cutting live trees). If you're tired of waking up with a stiff back from sleeping on the wooden platforms, there's at least one place close by to hang a hammock & get a good night's rest!
R

little bear
03-09-2008, 04:10
Unless you are a guest with reservations, you won't be able to buy meals at LeConte Lodge. They plan up to a year in advance so that they will have the right amount of food for guests.

Just treat it like any other backpacking trip and bring your own food that you can cook at the shelter.

Yeah I have no problam cooking my own meal....just thought since there was a resturaunt there I might like a meal. Just wondering.

Chaco Taco
03-09-2008, 04:27
the thing about Leconte that I love is that we will get there and can go to the ridge, eat dinner and watch an amazing sunset, sip on some whiskey, trek back to the shelter, sleep, wake, ridgerun half of the way back to Icewater and head north. LB I cant wait for you to do this trail with me

little bear
03-09-2008, 22:17
the thing about Leconte that I love is that we will get there and can go to the ridge, eat dinner and watch an amazing sunset, sip on some whiskey, trek back to the shelter, sleep, wake, ridgerun half of the way back to Icewater and head north. LB I cant wait for you to do this trail with me

counting down the days brother!

Kara
03-09-2008, 23:26
I loved this hike!! It was actually my first backpacking trip on a mountain. Went last October (during the last open weekend). I think we did Rainbow Falls up and Alum Cave down... I think. Great learning experience...packed too many of the not right kinda clothes and really just didn't know what I was doing so I had a heavy pack for an overnight!! One of the friend's parents that I hiked up with had reservations at LeConte Lodge, and since it was raining (of course), we paid them a visit to warm up a bit before calling it quits for the night! Shelter was great though we had to pack out someone's trash left behind. Some hot toddies and cards made for the perfect evening. Have pics...if interested just message me... Sorry, for some reason I didn't get pics at the shelter or the lodge.

Ramble~On
03-10-2008, 18:43
Here's pics of the lodge and shelter.
Regardless of which trail you take up..this is one of the best hikes in the park.
Reservations are required for both the shelter and lodge. There is not a restaurant, store or telephone. Each year many, many cotton clad "tourists" make the hike up expecting to have dinner or buy a snack. There are some who find that after hiking up all day...they must turn around and hike back down, hungry and thirsty. The lodge is actually many cabin type buidlings spread out over a football field size area. The Alum Cave Trail has a little bit of everything wrapped into a very nice 10 mile round trip..this isn't a trail for those seeking solitude though. There are many great places to view the sunrise and sunset in the GSMNP...Mt Le Conte is one of them.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17312&catid=member&imageuser=2785 < Shelter

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17311&catid=member&imageuser=2785 < Lodge area buildings

BR360
03-10-2008, 19:05
Reservations are required for the Trail Shelter, and camping is prohibited on Mt LeConte.

The Lodge is 1/4 mile away from the shelter. Reservations are also required there, and can be hard to acquire. They start taking them a year in advance, about Nov. 1st; costs about $100/head for bed, dinner and breakfast.

If you are staying at the shelter, you can get water at the lodge site from their pump, but you will not be able to get any food/dinner/etc. Food is calculated carefully for the guests, and brought in by lamas twice each week.

All that said, I have both stayed at the Shelter and stayed at the Lodge. Both are different, and one is not really better than the other, in my mind!
It's GREAT!:)

NINpigNIN
12-04-2008, 12:59
The lodge also prints a new t-shirt each year with a "I hiked Mt. Leconte" type of theme that is only able to be purchased at the lodge...or on ebay later on I guess from other people. I think the price runs from $15 - $25 depending upon size and whether it is long or short sleeve.

sliderule
12-07-2008, 19:28
If you are staying at the shelter, you can get water at the lodge site from their pump, but you will not be able to get any food/dinner/etc. Food is calculated carefully for the guests, and brought in by lamas twice each week.

Starting next season (2009), the lodge is going to offer lunch to hikers, reservation required.

NINpigNIN
12-12-2008, 17:02
Since the Leconte Lodge has been mentioned enough, I figured it would be worth it to post a link to their website:

http://www.lecontelodge.com

Jerryv
12-29-2008, 18:27
Hello everyone,

I wanted to visit LeConte Lodge on the 9th of July,
but its already fully booked that month :(

I live in the Netherlands (Holland), maybe you can help me with some quistens. I was very entausiastic about the idea of going to the Lodge, but now i dont see any options left for us. We dont want to bring a sleepingbag, Thermarest and everyting with us. We are only 2 days in the GSNP and for the rest of the time in the big cities (New York and Washington). I do have some experience with hiking. This year i have hiked the whole Kungsleden (http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/hiking/features/classic-world-hikes-5.html)
And last year i have hiked the West Highland Way in Scotland. Both self suported with a tent, cooking items etc. But this year iam on a holiday whitout my hiking gear and iam not planning to bring it along for two days. Its not doable consider the rest of the travel plans.

Maybe the LeConte shelter is a option. But i cannot find an offical website for it. Can you tell me what i must bring along to this shelter? Are there any beds?

Secondly, i REALY want to visit Myrtle Point for viewing the sunset and sunrise, but because we are not staying in the Lodge, i think the distance is too great for us to walk AFTER sunset (in the dark) to the shelter. Same things goes for the morning. Viewing the sunset is great, but the hike back to the shelter worries me.
(Thats the great thing of hiking in Artic Zweden, you have sunlight 24 hours during summertime :sun).

One more quistion, can anyone point me out to there website, registration forms etc?

Thank you so much!

Greetings,
Jerry
The Netherlands.

Mocs123
12-29-2008, 19:07
The shelter is a 3 sided shelter designed for backpackers. It has 2 wooden bunks that run along the back wall and is designed to accommodate 12 hikers. It does have a privy and bear cables for your food, and once had a fireplace inside that has since been stoned up due to people cutting live trees to burn. It is almost identical to the other shelters in the GSMNP (Davenport Gap, Cosby Knob, Tricorner Knob, Pecks Corner, Icewater Springs, Kephart, Double Springs, Silers Bald, Derrick Knob, Spence Feild, and Mollies Ridge (Mt. Collins, Russel Feild, and Laurel(?) are all the old style with the bear fence)). Although they are some of the nicer shelters on the AT, they see a lot of use and can have rodent problems (for example: My wife wouldn't like it).

Here is a picture of LeConte Shelter from this past year:
http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/43542/2172911610086983979S500x500Q85.jpg

This isn't a LeConte (It's Pecks Corner) but it gives you the idea:
http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/38154/2512474870086983979S600x600Q85.jpg

And lastly, here is a sunset from Mertyle Point
http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/29940/2076053990086983979S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is the link to the GSMNP webpage that has the number for backcountry reservations. You will have to reserve the shelter (and it is usually full on the weekends) up to 30 days in advance.
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

Here is a link to the weather station information from LeConte. It shows information for the past 24 hours. It can get cold even in July. I have seen it down to 32* F (0* C) as late as June.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX

I hope you enjoy your trip. If there is anything else I can help with just let me know.

Jerryv
12-29-2008, 19:30
Thank you very much, great :)

Couple of quistions:

- I understand we need to bring a sleepingbag, warm clothes and something to cook (but maybe we just eat something cold, because its a hassele to bring my camping gear along consider the nature of this holiday) but do you think a sleeping mat, lika a Theramarest, is needed?

- Like i have mentionend, and you have shown with the picture, i want to see the sunset and sunrise, but walking back to the shelter in the dark scares me of.
Have you got anything to say about this?
("bring a flashlight :-? :) But serious, it can be dangerous -i dont know the condition of the trail, nor the animals- so iam wonder if its wise to undertake this hike in darkness).

Thanks!

Jerry

Jerryv
12-29-2008, 19:44
Maybe its possible to rent a "camping/hiking kit" (bag, sleepingbag etc) in Gatlinburg? (i know, sounds strange..).

sliderule
12-29-2008, 19:54
- Like i have mentionend, and you have shown with the picture, i want to see the sunset and sunrise, but walking back to the shelter in the dark scares me of.
Have you got anything to say about this?
("bring a flashlight :-? :) But serious, it can be dangerous -i dont know the condition of the trail, nor the animals- so iam wonder if its wise to undertake this hike in darkness).

For sure, you won't be alone. Viewing the sunset is a very popular activity for folks staying at the lodge and shelter. If you leave Cliff Tops at sunset, you can walk back to the shelter (approx 400 meters) before it's completely dark.

Jerryv
12-29-2008, 20:05
Oke, that is good to hear. So only in the morning we need to walk the trail in darkness. Are you sure about the 400 meter? that is not very far at all..

ken209
12-29-2008, 20:21
Oke, that is good to hear. So only in the morning we need to walk the trail in darkness. Are you sure about the 400 meter? that is not very far at all..
No problem walking back to shelter from cliff top in the dark with a head lamp, you will have to walk to mrytle point in the dark, have done it several times. I live about 100 mi. from the Smokies, therefor i spend a lot of time there, maybe i can help you out with the gear you need.

sliderule
12-29-2008, 20:50

On July 9th, evening civil twilight will end 30 minutes after sunset. That's plenty of time to get back to the lodge/shelter following the big event.

For the walk to see the sunrise, you will have a 95% full moon relatively high in the sky, with morning civil twilight beginning 30 minutes prior to sunrise. You will need to be headed down the trail by 0445 in order to get to Myrtle Point in time to observe the sun's debut on July 10.

Jerryv
12-30-2008, 05:31
Your help is amazing!

I wil try to reservate 2 places at the Shelter.

My friend has not hiked before, and dont have the gear like a good backpack. He is not really into hiking so he doesn't want to buy one just for this. But if we need to bring at least:

2x sleepingbags
2x inflatble sleeping mat
Warm clothes
Rain gear (wel, a poncho wil do)
And something to cook on

than we both need to bring a backpack.

I dont cair about walking with a backpack, but then i prepare for that kind of journey. Now iam flying so there are strict regulations about the luggage. And we cannot bring a suitcase ánd backpacks.

But i'm going after the Shelter anyway, because its to nice to set aside :rolleyes:

If some of you can recommend me a nice hike for two days, let me know. We can walk up and down the shelter, but maybe something longer to fill up the days is also a good idea? We want to take the bus (shuttle) from Gatlinburg into the GSNP and walk from there.

Jerry

Mocs123
12-30-2008, 12:53
I don't know how much walking you want to do, but you could always start at Newfound Gap and follow the Appalachian Trail north to Icewater Springs Shelter (also requires a reservation) drop your packs, and dayhike out to Charlie's Bunion where there are some of the best views in the park. From Icewater Springs Shelter you could take the Boulevard Trail, which is probably the easiest way to get to LeConte Shelter and also catch the spur trail to the Jumpoff for more views. Then you could take the Alum Cave Trail down from LeConte, which is a beutiful (but very crowded) trail in itself.

If you dont have it already, here is a link to a map of the park trails, so you can get an idea of what I am talking about. (the download is on the top right hand side)
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Here is a link to the "Little Brown Book", the best guide book for the trails of the Smokies. It has elevation profiles and discriptions of all 900 miles of trails in the park.
http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,5.html

Are you driving in or flying down south (I am assuming you will originally fly into New York, Atlanta, or one of the major international airports). The reason I ask is you can rent gear at REI (a nationwide outdoor gear store) (http://www.rei.com/) but the closest ones to the park are Nashville or Ashville. There are some gear shops in Knoxville that might have gear to rent.

Worldwide
12-31-2008, 10:00
Do not take Rainbow Falls Trail unless; you like shin to knee deep winter creek crossings iirc there are 2 maybe 3. It will be colder than you think at LeConte. I was up there 19 Dec and it was 19 degrees with 4" snow. I would suggest Old Sugarlands Trail > Bull Head Trail> Mt. Le Conte Shelter. Second day take Trillium Gap Trail > Old Sugarlands trail. It can get slippery and icy up there too be prepped.

P.S. There were two deaths right around there within the last 2 months. So don't free climb Grotto Falls so you can practice a 35' plummet just to die in the hospital 2 weeks later. I was told from one ranger account the other guy died from heart attack in view of LeConte . The other account from the caretaker at LeConte was he froze his butt to death in sight of the lodge ( while it was open)

Worldwide
12-31-2008, 10:06
If you cant find rentable gear, and I haven't headed out West yet. I have a spare -15 degree bag, trekking poles, packs ( Short torso ), and assorted sundries. Call Curtis at Standing Bear Farm he knows where to find me. Or PM me here.

Jerryv
12-31-2008, 14:01
Do not take Rainbow Falls Trail unless; you like shin to knee deep winter creek crossings iirc there are 2 maybe 3. It will be colder than you think at LeConte. I was up there 19 Dec and it was 19 degrees with 4" snow.

I am going between the 9th and 10th of July ;)
(Is this a correct way of spelling this ^)

Jerryv
12-31-2008, 14:03
If you cant find rentable gear, and I haven't headed out West yet. I have a spare -15 degree bag, trekking poles, packs ( Short torso ), and assorted sundries. Call Curtis at Standing Bear Farm he knows where to find me. Or PM me here.

wow, thank you very much.
Nice to read that there are still people trying to trust strangers :). I will first try to manage it self, but if i cannot rent or bring the gear, than your offer is more than welcome.

Jerryv
12-31-2008, 14:05
I have never sleeped at a shelter (never been in the USA before also) so do you recommend bringing a inflatble sleeping mat?
Or will a sleepingbag do?

Mocs123
12-31-2008, 14:08
I would bring some sort of sleeping mat, be it inflatable or foam because the bunks are hard wood and you might need the insulating qualities of the mat even in the summer.

Jerryv
01-09-2009, 19:48
Does someone knows if its possible to rent hiking equipment in Gatlinburg? A midsizes backback, inflatble sleeping pad, sleeping bag, something to cook?
I can't find it on the internet, altough REI does provide rentals. Only not in Gatlinburg.

Thanks!

hikingshoes
01-09-2009, 20:21
boy,the shelter looks like Icewater Spring shelter,its been over 8or9yrs that i hike the trail.

EAnderson
01-09-2009, 23:46
Does someone knows if its possible to rent hiking equipment in Gatlinburg? A midsizes backback, inflatble sleeping pad, sleeping bag, something to cook?
I can't find it on the internet, altough REI does provide rentals. Only not in Gatlinburg.

Thanks!

You might want to try this site for gear rental in Gatlinburg:
http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/

Jerryv
01-11-2009, 14:11
You might want to try this site for gear rental in Gatlinburg:
http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/

Thank you, i have send them a mail!

George
01-11-2009, 14:31
You are 22 you do not need a sleeping pad in july just pick up a small bottle of booze and you will sleep fine. If you want to match the drink to the location it should be Bourbon

Rambler
01-12-2009, 11:26
An Outfitter in Gatlinburg: 865-436-6000
http://www.happyhiker.com/index.html

Shelter floors are wood platforms. You are sleeping on the floor. In Maine you will find some of the floors are rounded logs. Yes, you lie on the rounded. shapes.

Jerryv
01-13-2009, 05:56
Thank you for the help, it seems that we can get everything we want from 'A Walk in The Woods' :)

One more thing, maybe you have some advice for a nice hike to Mt. LeConte. I also wanted to see Charlie's Bunion but dont think its possible in two days (one night)?

If we can make it two nights, is there a nice option to:

- Start at Newfound Gap
- Hike to Charlie's Bunion
- And hike to Mt. LeConte
- Finish at Newfound Gap (we are taking the shuttle from Gatlinburg, so we are stuck with Newfound Gap).

:)

Jerry

Mocs123
01-13-2009, 12:26
Charlies Bunion is about 4 miles from Newfound Gap on the AT, and about a mile past the Boulevard Trail which goes to LeConte. If you started on the AT and went to Charlies Bunion, went back to the Boulevard Trail and on to LeConte Shelter it would be around a 13 mile day, which is certainly doable if you are in good shape.

Jerryv
01-13-2009, 17:32
Mochs123, thank you.
I have also just recieved a email from Erik from 'A Walk in The Woods' and the told me basicly the same:

--------------------------------------------------
"A Classic trip would be to hike up the Alum Cave Bluff Trail, then down the Boulevard to the AT, take a mile and a quarter detour along the AT to Charlies Bunion, back to Newfound Gap along the AT.

Alum is widely regarded as the single most scenic trail in the Park. It starts in shaded old growth forest along a pristine mountain
stream, climbs past the some great vistas, and gets into more exposed
areas before reaching the top. It is a relatively short trek to the shelter (less than 6 miles), but is a great trail to take you time
on. Also, there are several points of interest on top of LeConte itself, like High Point, Myrtle Point, Cliff Tops, and checking out
the Lodge itself.

Heading back the Boulevard is longer, but it is a good trail to make time on. Your in thick Boreal forest most of the way, very different
than Alum. Charlies Bunion is one of those very special places in the Park, and hey, everyone should do a little of the Appalachian
Trail.

This is a great one night trip. The only downside is its popularity. There will be many people on the first 2 miles of Alum, and the last mile or so of the AT. You most likely will have the Boulevard to yourselves. Also, if you do hike a little ways past the Bunion,
you are unlikely to see anyone at all."

--------------------------------------------------

Looks to me that the first day is a piece of cake.
And the second day is véry long, but douable(?).
-its not only the distance, but especially the terrain in wich you are hiking that determines the avarage time, so its hard to tell..-.

Jerry

Jerryv
01-15-2009, 19:17
We going to hike this ^ in two days, with a overnight at Mt. LeConte Shelter.

the_black_spot
01-15-2009, 19:35
i just did a hike in that area. Started at Newfound, hiked to kephart shelter and stayed, completed that loop back the AT, headed back on the AT, went by charlies bunion, took boulevard to leconte, stayed, then back to newfound on day three.

it was last week during that snow, wed-fri. good winter backpacking lessons learned.

sliderule
01-15-2009, 23:30
We going to hike this ^ in two days, with a overnight at Mt. LeConte Shelter.

I would strongly recommend three days, with overnight stays at Icewater Springs and LeConte.

the_black_spot
01-16-2009, 10:10
I would strongly recommend three days, with overnight stays at Icewater Springs and LeConte.
or kephart shelter, a few miles away, which is much cleaner and has a fire place, much more nestled in low country. good hike out tho...

it is a palace if you have it all to yourself and your buddy, which is what i had last week.

Jerryv
01-17-2009, 06:23
To be clear, i'm going to hike this in summertime.

Why do you strongly recommend three days?

Are the walking days not to short to:

Day1:
hike from Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunion and sleep at Icewater Spring shelter.

Day2: take the Boulevard Trail (5.4 miles) to Mt. LeConte.

Day3: take the Alum Cave Trail back to Newfound gap.

It looks to me that this is only three to four hours per walking day before we reach the shelter?

But, it would indeed be nice to sleep two nights in the GSNP. What do you think about the walking times?

Jerry

Mocs123
01-17-2009, 12:43
I prefer at least ten miles per day and often do 15+ mile days. It really depends on where you are used to hiking as many people underestimate the GSMNP. The AT to Charlies Bunion and the Boulevard Trail are very easy however and I don't think someone at your age who is reasonably fit would have much trouble with it. You will have plenty of daylite, so if you need to stop and rest, you will have time to do it.

the_black_spot
01-17-2009, 18:07

Are the walking days not to short to:

Day1:
hike from Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunion and sleep at Icewater Spring shelter.

Day2: take the Boulevard Trail (5.4 miles) to Mt. LeConte.

Day3: take the Alum Cave Trail back to Newfound gap.

It looks to me that this is only three to four hours per walking day before we reach the shelter?

But, it would indeed be nice to sleep two nights in the GSNP. What do you think about the walking times?

Jerry
that sounds very doable, i think whoever reccommended two nights may have thought you were going in winter, or was trying to convince you to have a longer stay.

your itenerary sounds fine and i might do that hike next time in the area.

sliderule
01-17-2009, 22:17

So that you have time to enjoy the sights!!!

So that you can spend some time at Charlies Bunion. So you can visit the Jumpoff. So that you can sit on the porch at the Lodge. And still have time to fix dinner and get to Cliff Tops to see the sunset.

If I were going to do that trip in two days, I would go up the Alum Cave Trail on the first day and down The Boulevard on day two. That way, you would have more time on LeConte and more flexibility on the second day.

Jerryv
01-18-2009, 06:35
Good to hear your opinions :)

Sliderule, we will go up on the Alum Cave Trail so that we have enough time to spend on LeConte. Its a plus minus four hours walk i have been told, so if i leave in the morning there is still plenty of time on the mountain itself. I want to see (hopefully) the sunset and sunrise in the morning. No rush on the first day.

The second day is longer, but consider the replies on my post it can be done to walk from LeConte down the Boulevard trail to the AT, Charlies Bunion, and back to Newfound Gap on the AT.

Maybe i have to choose between 'The Jumpof' vs 'Charlie's Bunion'. The Jumpoff is more on the route than Charlies Bunion i believe.

Jerry

Jim Obermeyer
01-18-2009, 08:36
You said, Day3: take the Alum Cave Trail back to Newfound gap.
I don't think the Alum Cave Trail goes to Newfoundland Gap.

the_black_spot
01-18-2009, 12:25
You said, Day3: take the Alum Cave Trail back to Newfound gap.
I don't think the Alum Cave Trail goes to Newfoundland Gap.
according to the nat geo map, you are correct. it would take you to 441 about a couple miles north of newfound. from there you could hitch, but i am not sure that is the type of road i would go for a road walk on.

Jerryv
01-18-2009, 12:36
Pff... you are correct.. :eek:
It goes to Newfound ROAD... not Gap, the parking lot :-?

We want to use the following service to get in the park:
http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_cherokee.htm
(departure from Gatlinburg) anyone knows if this bus also stops at the startingpoint from Alum Cave Blufs trail?
(The website is not clear about this).

sliderule
01-18-2009, 12:46
We want to use the following service to get in the park:
http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_cherokee.htm
(departure from Gatlinburg) anyone knows if this bus also stops at the startingpoint from Alum Cave Blufs trail?
(The website is not clear about this).

The website states that they can stop at any trailhead with a pull-over on HiWay 441 (Newfound Gap Road.) The Alum Cave Trail would qualify. It's right on 441 and features a large parking lot.

sliderule
01-18-2009, 13:03
The second day is longer, but consider the replies on my post it can be done to walk from LeConte down the Boulevard trail to the AT, Charlies Bunion, and back to Newfound Gap on the AT.

That is certainly a viable plan. You can have lunch at Icewater Springs, hang your packs, walk out to Charlies Bunion. Pick up your packs on the way back.

Maybe i have to choose between 'The Jumpoff' vs 'Charlie's Bunion'. The Jumpoff is more on the route than Charlies Bunion i believe.

Charlies Bunion is worth the extra effort if the weather is good.

Mocs123
01-18-2009, 15:39
Here is the view from the jumpoff - not the best pic as the weather was turning bad
http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/42487/2257381000086983979S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is one from Charlies Bunion

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/38491/2067609550086983979S500x500Q85.jpg

Hikes in Rain
01-19-2009, 09:46
My reasonably good panorama from the Bunion. Don't know the hikers name, but he was willing to be included for perspective.