PDA

View Full Version : Cabin fever

horicon
01-08-2008, 06:23
Its not even the second week of January any I have Cabin Fever. Who else wants to get out on the trail.

BT

zoidfu
01-08-2008, 06:59
You realize you're on a hiking forum, right? We all do.

Hooch
01-08-2008, 07:15
Its not even the second week of January any I have Cabin Fever. Who else wants to get out on the trail.

BT

You realize you're on a hiking forum, right? We all do.I second that emotion. :D Doc and I are thinking about doing a couple days on the Trail in NC/TN right before SoRuck.:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-08-2008, 07:33
This is not cabin fever... it is much worst. It is Springer fever. There is but one cure.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/DrDinoSpringerFever-1.jpg

Nearly Normal
01-08-2008, 15:45
With all the warm temps everyone wants to get on a trail.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 15:50
With all the warm temps everyone wants to get on a trail.

some wanna get on thier Harleys

Just a Hiker
01-08-2008, 15:53
X-country skiing is keeping me sane right now......I am really glad I finally tried it.

Just Jim

Waterbuffalo
01-08-2008, 16:02
It's almost 70 here in GA today

Bob S
01-08-2008, 16:13
I was in the garage today working on some thing. I fired up two different camp stoves just to get my fix. I made some hot chocolate and then went back to my working (with a smile on my face) It’s 65 here today in Toledo, a good day to get you thinking about getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

BackTrack1
01-08-2008, 16:24
its 70 here in upstate new york and sunny :sun , smells like spring, all the snow is gone, although im sure it will be back soon enough.

Enjoy it while it lasts! :D

Cannibal
01-08-2008, 16:28
Guess I'm the exception. Living in Florida I get excited about hiking when it starts getting cooler.

sasquatch2014
01-08-2008, 16:58
There are few of us hitting the trail for a few days starting thursday up here in NY. Come on up you can make it to MD by Wed and then catch a ride fro there with some of the people coming up.:D Its not really "Winter hiking" in Fl anyway.

Cannibal
01-08-2008, 17:03
Sure wish I could! Saving every penny so that I don't have to do a $1,500 thru starting in 53 days. :D

NorthCountryWoods
01-09-2008, 07:25

BT

:confused: The trail doesn't disappear....there's just fewer people. Buy some winter gear and get out there.

TOW
01-09-2008, 07:27
and some just want to have an outdoor flea market and sell, sell, sell..........

Mrs Baggins
01-09-2008, 09:04

BT

So bad I can taste it. Unfortunately we moved from Maryland (stupid stupid stupid :() where we had easy access to the AT, down here to South Carolina where we have no access..........well, okay, it's about a 4 hour drive. Takes a lot more planning, gas, and hours to get in a simple day hike. We're hours from every decent trail. Everything here is too flat.

If you've read "The Golden Compass" or have seen the movie you know about daemons and you know what happens when a human is separated from their daemon. The AT is my daemon and I am suffering the trauma of separation.

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 09:34
its 70 here in upstate new york and sunny :sun , smells like spring, all the snow is gone, although im sure it will be back soon enough.

Enjoy it while it lasts! :D
The 'Cuse is in the House!!!
:welcome :welcome

Survivor Dave
01-09-2008, 09:43
I am so ready to get out of here I can't stand it either. Toooooooo much time, so I hike around the NP's around the house. Try to give hikers rides until I leave keeps the fire stoked. Hopefully make it to Soruck for a day or 2.

Wish all a Happy New Year!

mrc237
01-09-2008, 09:48
Balmy here on LI today temps around 50. Planning a post Ruck trip to Grand Canyon hike to bottom then off to the Havisupai Reservation and hike to village and campground for a veiw of Havisupai Falls and 2 others. Then its off to Death Valley for some hiking camping and sightseeing. Then a trip to S Cal for visiting family. Good cure for cabin fever. :)

woodsy
01-09-2008, 09:58
Cabin fever? Not yet, check back in about 6 weeks, end of Feb here it hits home pretty good.
Reprieve from wintry grip here last few days. X-C skied in T-shirt yesterday!
A sunny 55* in Jan. is like summer here, LOL

Chenango
01-09-2008, 10:37
Very windy in central NY today. I just got back from taking my son and daughter to college in South Carolina. On the way back yesterday, I felt the "call of the trail" as a drove up I81 through VA and PA. My eyes kept glacing to the ridges. In Troutville, VA I even got off of the interstate to find where the AT crosses RT11 and I81. I have spring fever bad!! I am planning a winer hike over Presidents's weekend in Feb. I am not sure where yet, perhaps CT/Mass border area. The thought of that is keeping me going. This Saturday I will do a few miles on the FLT (FGinger Lakes Trail). No snowshoes will be needed this weekend.

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 11:04
Very windy in central NY today. I just got back from taking my son and daughter to college in South Carolina. On the way back yesterday, I felt the "call of the trail" as a drove up I81 through VA and PA. My eyes kept glacing to the ridges. In Troutville, VA I even got off of the interstate to find where the AT crosses RT11 and I81. I have spring fever bad!! I am planning a winer hike over Presidents's weekend in Feb. I am not sure where yet, perhaps CT/Mass border area. The thought of that is keeping me going. This Saturday I will do a few miles on the FLT (FGinger Lakes Trail). No snowshoes will be needed this weekend.

:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

mudhead
01-09-2008, 11:27

Saw a motorcycle yesterday. Heard it coming, and thought some yahoo had his sander motor going. Enough gravel on the road he was pushing his luck.

Damn fine day to be above ground, today too!

Feb. is when I get squirrely. Extra day of joy this year...

satchmo
01-09-2008, 14:17
Cabin fever is always better than Typhoid fever.

ki0eh
01-09-2008, 14:18
This Saturday I will do a few miles on the FLT (FGinger Lakes Trail). No snowshoes will be needed this weekend.

Shoulda waved, CNY expat here in the Harrisburg area. :welcome Lived the first 28 years of my life one county west of you.

Looked on your trailjournals with the link and your observations about hearing distant snowmobiles really brought cabin fever home to me, um, thanks! :D

REBELYELL
01-09-2008, 15:51
Got snowshoes from Santa!

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 15:54
. . .This Saturday I will do a few miles on the FLT (FGinger Lakes Trail). No snowshoes will be needed this weekend.
Also a CNY expat. You ever hike the Orange trail (part of FLTrail) at Ontario Co. Park??

mudhead
01-09-2008, 16:25
Cabin fever is always better than Typhoid fever.

Said by someone in VA. Yes. But it is open to debate some years.

I saw a slug. Alive. On my back pavers, headed for the rose patch. I had to stare at it to see movement, but it was moving.

Last year at this time I had spinach up. This year that might have worked, as I still have snow.

Tony
01-09-2008, 20:40
Talked with a friend of mine so much we decided since we have a long 5 day weekend for MLK weekend that we would take advantage of the nice weather, the need to break in the new gear, and the NEED to break in my legs and feel that trail burn I have been waiting for. Even if we just get on the trail for a couple days is enough for me right now. We will miss the SoRuck, however, our need to be fulfilled is much stronger. Will have to catch up with everyone next go round.

Driving up from the SC coast (Beaufort, SC) at noon on the 18th, striking out for Stover for the night then we will see how far from there. Gonna have to do a turn around and head back to Amicola Sunday night, however will be up there long enough to check gear, see what works and doesn't and work on the menu of meals through trial and error. My boss thinks I need a Psych eval, my wife just shakes her head...me: I need to smell the fresh air and get away from the base to relax for a change.

BackTrack1
01-09-2008, 22:07
The 'Cuse is in the House!!!
:welcome :welcome

Thanks for the welcome!!!:) Fairly new here, been a lurker for awhile, very good site.

horicon
02-15-2008, 16:39
A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work.

gungho
02-15-2008, 22:24
I have had cabin fever bad, Finally getting out their and doing the coosa backcountry trail this weekend:)

Marta
02-15-2008, 22:25
Lucky! I'm housebound this weekend. Family coming to visit.

horicon
03-31-2008, 09:37
Cabin Fever is cured.

Ashman
03-31-2008, 09:47
Cabin Fever is cured.

In remission is probably more accurate.

horicon
03-31-2008, 11:26
Thanks for your observation.

woodsy
03-31-2008, 12:41
Cabin Fever is cured.

It (cabin fever) seems to be alive, well and thriving on the "no such thing as a warraghiyagey" thread :rolleyes:
I didn't get much of the "fever" this winter, too busy plowing and shoveling snow:D

warraghiyagey
03-31-2008, 12:42
I have no idea what you're talking about.

:D

wakapak
03-31-2008, 12:56
It (cabin fever) seems to be alive, well and thriving on the "no such thing as a warraghiyagey" thread :rolleyes:
I didn't get much of the "fever" this winter, too busy plowing and shoveling snow:D

it seems to be alive on other threads as well!! :D

Summit
03-31-2008, 16:13
Cabin fever goes out the door this weekend as my son and I head to Shining Rock Wilderness for a three-day 28-mile loop, with Cold Mountain at 6,028 ft. the highlight. Can't wait! ;)

mudhead
03-31-2008, 17:47
32*F and snowing great big flakes. I was due 40's. The weather guy choked on today. Yeah, it's starting to stick.

I want my tropical weather.

smokymtnsteve
03-31-2008, 17:48
damn ..colder than Fairbanks

mudhead
03-31-2008, 19:07
You have 40*F right now. Share. Please.