PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Visa for America/Canada for Thru-Hike 2010

davyboy
01-08-2008, 08:58
Hi All,

I am hailing from Queensland, Australia and am keen to do the AT and IAT in 2010 with a mate. From what I have read, America has 6 month holiday visa's, with the possibility of applying for 3 to 6 month extensions. My question is: does anyone know if there are any major problems posed by continuing up into Canada (on a Canadian holiday visa) from America without going through any major centers? I realise that the majority of you won't had this worry, but thought you may have hiked with some international hikers. I am more than willing to exchange info, however my own hiking experience in Australia is limited (bit hard to hike when there is bugger all water around, lol). Thanks for any and all you help you may be able to provide, I have been reading posts on this site for a while now and it has been quite informative.

Cheers,

David

Appalachian Tater
01-08-2008, 09:09
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

You don't need a visa for Canada, being Australian.

Realize that they may not give you a six month visa when you enter the U.S. in the first place, but you may then get an extension. It all depends on whether the official had a good breakfast that morning.

A lot of IAT hikers go SOBO or another way than NOBO

the_iceman
01-08-2008, 10:24
he hiked a good bit with April Showers. I think he had to deal with visa issues and time restrictions.

Frosty
01-08-2008, 10:39
Realize that they may not give you a six month visa when you enter the U.S. in the first place, but you may then get an extension. It all depends on whether the official had a good breakfast that morning.Can't tell if you are joking or not, but this isn't true at all. There is a State Dept procedure for extensions. There are a number of reasons for denying or approving visas and and extensions which are not public.

It just seems arbitrary because the general public doesn't know the process.

smaaax
01-08-2008, 11:03
I think you also would need a backcountry boarder crossing permit. Check into what hikers on the PCT do. You don't need to go to a boarder crossing to get across legally (if the form is accepted).

ARambler
01-08-2008, 11:53
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

You don't need a visa for Canada, being Australian.

Realize that they may not give you a six month visa when you enter the U.S. in the first place, but you may then get an extension. It all depends on whether the official had a good breakfast that morning.

A lot of IAT hikers go SOBO or another way than NOBO

1) Not sure how sobo helps this problem, and it may hurt.
2) I suppose a sobo from Cape G to Springer has been done, but a lot??? I don't think so.
3) Have you checked what the border crossing looks like? I thought it crossed on a road when I considered the IAT in 2004. (and I assume there is a border station there, don't know why you need a big city.) Once you have a US visa, I don't see how the boarder crossing is that much different than a US person going to Canada; you are just a non Canadian from a country that does not require a visa.
4) Everyone I've met on the trail did get a 6 month visa. I have not head about the 6 month extension, but it is common to be able to leave the country and then come back for another 6 months on the same reusable visa.
5) I think a couple from the UK were planning to go to Canada and not back home to renew their visa. However, they finished pretty quickly and I doubt they needed to go to Canada. Six months should be plenty for you if you want to do the IAT in the same season.
6) I'm hoping to get an Australian visa this week. Will it also be good in New Zealand? I suppose it's all the same country;)
Rambler

sonic
01-08-2008, 11:53
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2740

You might want to check out Dandy Lion's trail journal from 2005. He's from England and didn't seem to have any trouble with visa's, etc. for the hike.

Good luck!

sasquatch2014
01-08-2008, 12:04
I know that a couple who should be wrapping up their thru on the 19th all going well had dealt with all these visa issues. Not sure about the Canada stuff. You could drop them a line through their guest book on their trail journal account. They are Kiwi's but faced the same issues. Trail journal names ate Weka and Kea.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-08-2008, 18:01
G'day David,

You are correct that you need to get a visa for the US, however the visa does not entitle you to a fixed length of stay. How long you can stay in the country is determined by the immigration officials at the point of entry ! If they don't like the look of you they might only give you a couple of weeks ! I thru-hiked in 2006 & when I entered the US they asked me the purpose of my visit. I explained that I was hiking the AT & they gave me 6 months....no problems. If they don't give you enough time, you can appeal their decision, but this does not guarantee you an extension.
It really isn't likely to be a problem though...so I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

Here is a link to the US consulate in Australia with all the info on applying for a visa.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/niv/index.html

Here's the link to the Canadian Consulate in Australia, also with all the visa info

http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/australia/visa/visasimm-en.asp

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the trail. Send me an email or PM & I'll give you my phone number.

Cheers,

Kaptain

Appalachian Tater
01-08-2008, 18:29
Can't tell if you are joking or not, but this isn't true at all. There is a State Dept procedure for extensions. There are a number of reasons for denying or approving visas and and extensions which are not public.

It just seems arbitrary because the general public doesn't know the process.

Frosty, as I said, and as Kangaroo Dave confirmed, when someone from Australia visits the U.S., they may or may not be given a full six months' tourist visa when they reach the point of entry, but they may apply for an extension regardless.

Even someone who applies for a visa in advance, say from Colombia, and has been granted one, may be turned away at the border or given a lesser length of admission. It's up to the official at the checkpoint and they don't have to give a reason. I don't know why you would think I would joke about something like that. This information is not secret.

Pokey2006
01-08-2008, 18:48
I hiked with a couple of Brits in 06. They actually had plane tickets leaving the country AFTER their six-month visas were to expire.

It was kind of a headache for them, they got the run-around, people giving them different info, etc. But, basically they went up to Canada just before the visa was to expire, then re-entered the U.S., I think on new visas. It ended up not being a huge deal.

If you go NOBO, Canada is a shorter ride than if you're SOBO. It's a long ride from Georgia or North Carolina, but a fairly short one from anywhere in New England. Just get to a city with Greyhound service, and take the bus up and back.

davyboy
01-08-2008, 19:24
Cheers for all the info guys,

That has cleared things up a bit. I will continue reading posts and gaining perspective on the AT! Thanks a lot!

Davo