PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good, light waterfilter?

James046
01-08-2008, 14:57
Hi all, looking for a good, light waterfilter. I like the MSR and Katadyn brands, but do not know much about them. Hence my question here. I know many of you have your own preferences, but I was wondering if you of course had any opinions on what to get, what will last, and so on. Thanks, James

rafe
01-08-2008, 15:00
MSR: heavy, slow, hard to pump, but field-cleanable. Katadyn Hiker Pro: lighter, easy to pump (while filter is new) but not field-cleanable. Filters clog easily.

Chaco Taco
01-08-2008, 15:01
Have a Katadyn Hiker and love it. Very easy to use and clean plus pretty light. Never had a problem with it.

Mocs123
01-08-2008, 15:07
I have a Katadyn Hiker and have been very happy with it, however MSR has a new filter comming out soon (the Hyperflow) which on paper at least, blows all other filters out of the water.

Lyle
01-08-2008, 15:09
Sweetwater - light, easy to pump, field cleanable

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13614&memberId=12500226

I usually use AquaMira, but when I filter, this is the one I use.

gearfreak
01-08-2008, 15:14
Very satisfied with my Katadyn Hiker Pro. Can clog easily in silty conditions. Wrap a bandana around the intake in these cases. It's partially field servicable, requires modest force to pump and has a high output. I changed out the intake for the finer mesh model used on the MSR Sweetwater available from Cascade Designs for $10. No complaints. :cool:

big_muddy
01-08-2008, 15:16
If you can wait a month or so MSR has a new water filter coming out that can filter 3 L in a minute and weighs 7.7 oz. the Hyperflow . . . brand new so who knows if it will work, and if it will ever be released. MSRP $99

rafe
01-08-2008, 15:17
MSR consistently makes solid, reliable gear. I'll look forward to reports of this new filter.

Bob S
01-08-2008, 17:29
I have the Katadyn Hiker, love it.

To pre-clean water I wrap a coffee filter around the pickup if the water looks dirty or has any debris in it. It’s better to clog the coffee filter then the pre-filter on the end of the hose.

Peaks
01-08-2008, 18:06
If you research past posts, among long distance hikers that filter, the Katadyn Hiker is the current filter of choice because it pumps much faster than others. But, let's see what the new MSR filter does.

Javasanctum
01-08-2008, 18:11
If you can wait a month or so MSR has a new water filter coming out that can filter 3 L in a minute and weighs 7.7 oz. the Hyperflow . . . brand new so who knows if it will work, and if it will ever be released. MSRP $99

It's on sale now at the Bass Pro Shop near me. Check thier website maybe.

Doughnut
01-08-2008, 18:26
Katadin with a pre-filter.

Nearly Normal
01-08-2008, 18:54
Like every other pc of gear you own. If you take care of it, it will serve.
I don't normally go looking for the dirtyist mud hole to filter from. If nothing else but a mudhole is available wrap a coffee filter around the intake.
I have never had to do this on the AT or Foothills Trail.
Katadyn Hiker works well.

If I know the water sources are pretty good where I intend to hike, I just dip with a ziplock and use aqua-mira. I don't let myself run out of drinking water while I wait for it to work.

Use common sense. Don't get water from low areas with cow pastures or the road side ditch.
Most of the water you find in the mountains don't need any treatment anyway. It is better to be safe about it.

rafe
01-08-2008, 19:27
Most of the water you find in the mountains don't need any treatment anyway. It is better to be safe about it.

Am I the only person to experience clogging with a Katadyn filter? :-?

I gotta tell you, it was seriously dry on the trail this summer. I didn't always get to pick and choose clear running water. Couple of times, the choices were pretty dire. And that's when the filter would clog.

Though I suppose I could have taken more trouble to pre-filter or something. I think maybe using the MSR for a number of years spoiled me that way.

Appalachian Tater
01-08-2008, 19:50
I replaced my Katadyn filter once on my thru-hike. The end was covered with a piece of nylon stocking held on by a rubber band and I just left in on all the time and kept the float at the very end. In hotels or hostels you can clean your pump and filter with water and bleach, which will extend the life and make sure it doesn't harbor harmful organisms. Most water filters have a limited lifespan.

ScottP
01-08-2008, 19:55
Your immune system

turtle fast
01-08-2008, 20:06
I use the First Need PURIFIER by General Ecology...it also REMOVES viruses, most filters don't do that. It works just like a Katadyn filter system, and it too can be rigged with a coffee filter prefilter on the hose end. Newer models have a prefilter built on to it. It uses replaceable cartridges.

wrongway_08
01-08-2008, 20:42
I have a Katadyn Hiker and have been very happy with it, however MSR has a new filter comming out soon (the Hyperflow) which on paper at least, blows all other filters out of the water.

That new filter is great, blows everything away in weight, liters per pump and size ...... only bad thing is due to the hollow core filter, it CAN NOT be froze or will break the filter and then its toast. I have not seen it yet and am hoping that it is somethig that can be pulled out and dried on the spot.

Cost is $100.00 It weighs 6 oz less then the Hiker pro.

tlw08
01-08-2008, 21:44
The question is not just the best waterfilter, but what your water style is - some carry only 1L of water and refill at every opportunity. Their thought process is why carry all that extra weight when you pass over all this water? The other extreme is to carry a bunch of water in a reservoir, 2-4L at a time.

Obviously the point is if you carry less water you're more susceptible to filling up at questionable sources. I tend to carry around 2-3L and use a Hiker Pro. I've never clogged one but I've seen one clogged from filtering silt.

Used intelligently the Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro are both excellent filters for their weight. :sun

the_iceman
01-09-2008, 14:20

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13614&memberId=12500226

I used this on my thru. Replaced the pump twice (free at outfitters in the south) then switched to drops in Vermont. I think this was more reliable than most of the other pumps people used. Beware of ceramic filters a number of people had them break. When you pump 2 or 3 times a day for 165 straight days things are going to wear out. Silt in the water is like sand paper. I used a pre-filter as well.

Tipi Walter
01-09-2008, 15:17
I didn't start using a filter until about 10 years ago, before that I just drank what I found. Currently I'm using a old Pur/Katadyn Hiker, broke two handles and on my 8th or 9th filter cartridge. Last year the whole set up froze solid rendering the nearly new cartridge useless and so I had to boil water the rest of my trip.

So, what works in zero temps? Boiling, I guess. Don't wanna go the chemical route, iodine/chlorine, etc. Would the steripen work at zero degrees? Most of my water needs can still be fulfilled by dipping the jugs in the nearest spring, but sometimes I have to treat it, especially on big creeks and at heavily used sites.

Javasanctum
01-09-2008, 20:39
Someone in another thread suggested the nifty idea of using an in-line fuel filter to extends the life of a Hiker-Pro cartridge. Apparently the size is just right to splice into your intake tube. I hope to test this idea to allow me to use water sources that I would otherwise avoid to protect the filter.

MamaCat
01-09-2008, 20:46
I use the steripen with the little pre-filter. The pre-filter makes sure you don't get grit. I pour the water into it with a ziploc bag. The steripen then removes everything - bacteria, virus, & protozoa. Man, now I sound like a sales pitch. But I do really like that method and it is very light!

James046
01-10-2008, 02:44
Called the manufacturer for the new MSR pump, will be coming out Mid February I was told!!

Dholmblad
01-12-2008, 22:31
While I was thru-hiking, I started out with a katadyn but soon sent it home. I then used those drops for awhile. But to tell you the truth, if the water was coming out of a spring I would most likely do nothing to it. Now if I had to get water from a stream I would treat it with drops.

gungho
01-13-2008, 19:28
I use the steripen with the little pre-filter. The pre-filter makes sure you don't get grit. I pour the water into it with a ziploc bag. The steripen then removes everything - bacteria, virus, & protozoa. Man, now I sound like a sales pitch. But I do really like that method and it is very light!
My wife Roots and I just recently bought the steripen with the pre-filter and it is awesome. :)

tchiker
01-28-2008, 20:17
I googled the MSR Hyperflow and some sites say available "Spring 2008"...I hope it isn't getting delayed again. I need a filter and I've been waiting for this one to be released so I could check out the reviews and then get one if they are decent.

Paul Bunyan
01-28-2008, 22:46
Filter wise, for lightweightness, Katadyn Mini is great. I had it for awhile. YOu need some muscle to work it, but it really gets the water clean. Ceramic filter does need ot be cleaned pretty often, but it get alot of stuff out. I really haven't heard good stuff about MSR Sweetwater. Hiker is a little bit heavier, but heard it works pretty good. For me, Mini is really good. Hard to find, but cheap and worth it.

HIKER7s
01-29-2008, 09:10
I have both the Sweetwater and Katadyn Hiker. When I filter from any questionable water source I double filter. Benn very pleased with both of them.

I am thinking however of maybe getting the Aquamira, I have seen this work. While I find the weight and packed dimensions a better fit than a regular filter...I still dont know if I want to give the filter up.

bobcat13
02-13-2008, 13:44
Any thoughts on the filter by ULA?

hobojoe
02-13-2008, 13:53

Definately my choice, classic gear. I've used the kitahdyn hiker and it is too hard to pump.

hpowers
02-13-2008, 23:45
The MSR Miniworks offers the real world advantage of being truly field cleanable, is a very reliable filter and you have the peace of mind that knowing it will work all of the time. It may weigh a little more, and it may take a little longer to pump, but peace of mind is a priceless commodity.

Terry7
02-14-2008, 10:07
I carry a Nalgene wide mouth bottle so I can dip the water then let it settle. Then filter off the top 2/3. This has made my Katadyn Hiker Pro go alot farther.

ofthearth
02-14-2008, 10:51

What do you do in very dark (brackish, tannin ) filled water? Have got the s-pen but have been reluctant to use it on some Fl trail water.

GratefulHike
02-14-2008, 12:24
I use the MSR MiniWorks. It is a bit on the heavy side. I have listened to the ole philosophy of don't worry about filtering and have got burned more than once. For me having a super reliable, field cleanable, easy to use filter I always bring this, it hasn't let me down yet. Filter lasts forever and if it gets clogged it is cleanable on the spot.

MamaCat
02-14-2008, 14:54
What do you do in very dark (brackish, tannin ) filled water? Have got the s-pen but have been reluctant to use it on some Fl trail water.

I haven't come across water that looks that bad -- I am usually filtering out of a running stream/ trickle -- will the pre-filter not get out the particulates? It gets out the mud of the water I sometimes get. If not, then steripen themselves says that if the water is not somewhat clear, the pen does not do a good job sense the light reflects on the particles. I would try the pre-filter. If it doesn't work, you might need something else for swamp water.