PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice regarding a maildrop

A-Train
01-08-2008, 15:00
Ok, so I'd love some thoughts on this current situation. Just not sure about it, please no judgements!

I sent a friend a suprise maildrop on the PCT in Oregon (to Shelter Cove Resort) as she was finishing up her last state. She ended up getting hurt and getting off trail before arriving there. These past few months I was under the impression she had somehow recieved the package, but I found out last night she never got it.

I was gonna call them today to find out if they still had the box under her name, but I was wondering if it was unrealistic to ask them to send the box back to sender (me)? This location only accepts UPS and is a rural location, so the box was a lot of money to send. Basically I don't wanna have to pay AGAIN to recieve the box back, but it doesn't seem right that the business hold onto the package, or end up keeping the contents.

Should I have to pay for the box to be sent back if it was never picked up, or should it be sent back to sender like the USPS? Is it unreasonable for me to ask for it back ?

Thanks

mobileman
01-09-2008, 01:25
Was the box addressed specificly to the hiker? Did you pay for forwarding or return service if it was undeliverable? Have you asked UPS what it's delivery/return policy is? How long did you ask the business to hold it for pickup? Is that hold for pickup time expired? What did you request the business do if the package was not picked up by a certain date? Generally we get what we pay for in a shipping service. A business is basicly doing us a favor by accepting a package for us in the hope that we will spend money while we are at their establishment. If you call them and they still have the package, offer to send them a check to cover their shipping and HANDLING costs.

the_iceman
01-09-2008, 13:54
It seems to me if the buisness you sent it to was authorized to sign for it and act as your or your friend's agent (for no charge I assume) that clears UPS since they delivered it as instructed. The business holding it was doing you a favor so you cannot expect them to pay.

If I send something USPS to a business and they completed the delivery as addressed they would not ship it back for free either.