PDA

View Full Version : tent sites

daveinmuncy
12-24-2003, 12:41
Maybe this is a stupid question, but do you HAVE to stay at established campsites (besides in the Smokies)? I've found along other trails/canoe routes that camp bears, camp racoons, camp possums, etc. are much worse where everyone else stays.

Groucho
12-24-2003, 13:22
Only in a few places along the Trail. Smokies. In Shenandoah it may be hard to find legal sites. Entire state of MD. PA-Cumberland Valley. Parts of NJ. Either MA or CN or maybe both. Not sure about NY. Part of Whites in NH; unless off trail below tree line. Baxter Park in ME. Probably others that Blazers will id.

Blue Jay
12-24-2003, 13:31
I think Groucho is wrong. Outside of the Parks there are very few restrictions. Here and there, there is some private land you should not camp on. However, for the most part America is still free.

peter_pan
12-24-2003, 15:24
Hammock hangers have a billion sites, when other must search on, assuming no restricted signs or regs. It is a whole new "free swinging freedom".

celt
12-24-2003, 16:14
Only in a few places along the Trail. Smokies. In Shenandoah it may be hard to find legal sites. Entire state of MD. PA-Cumberland Valley. Parts of NJ. Either MA or CN or maybe both. Not sure about NY. Part of Whites in NH; unless off trail below tree line. Baxter Park in ME. Probably others that Blazers will id.

This info is mostly correct. Shenandoah NP, similar to The Whites in NH, allows thru hikers to camp at shelters and elsewhere out of sight of the trail (thrus must carry a free permit, picked up at park entrances). In The Whites you may camp for free anyplace 1/4 mile away from Huts, shelters and campsites so long as you're 200 feet from the trail and below treeline. MD and CT do ask hikers to stay at established campsites and shelters and Baxter SP also requires hikers to register, pay a fee and stay only at established sites. NJ has some restrictions, the Delaware Water Gap Lands and Sunrise Mountain to name the ones I remember and I believe that the Cumberland Valley was restricted as part of the agreements that went along with the various land deals made to get the trail off the roads; the trail corridor is never very far from private land in the CV.

Peaks
12-24-2003, 16:53
I'll agree with Celt.

Several places have restrictions. However, it's mostly a matter of knowing what the rules are, and abidding by them.

Just to be clear, no camping in Cumberland Valley section of the AT.