PDA

View Full Version : Soonest road access after GA/NC border?

maconmatt
01-08-2008, 15:25
I'm planning a hike from Unicoi Gap into NC to complete Georgia. Where is the soonest road access or parking area after the border that would be a good place to end my hike?

Thanks!
Matt

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 15:28
Deep Gap/USFS road 71, 7 miles north of the GA/NC border

maconmatt
01-08-2008, 15:31
That's what I thought! Thanks for the quick reply!

Matt

maconmatt
01-08-2008, 15:51
After looking into it some more...i'm a little confused. On Google Earth, its saying that Deep Gap is around mile 64, inside Georgia?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 15:54
That's where Deep Gap shelter is, yes, still in Georgia. 3.5 miles before Hwy. 76

maconmatt
01-08-2008, 15:57
I'm wanting to hike into NC, then get off of the trail.

Nitro
01-08-2008, 16:00
Deep Gap / FS 71 is in North Carolina. Deep Gap shelter is in GA.

maconmatt
01-08-2008, 16:01
ahh...i'm an idiot! Thanks for the clarification!

Kerosene
01-09-2008, 09:08
Note that there are a lot of other Deep Gaps along the AT, as well as quite a few Brushy Mountains!

Monkeyboy
01-09-2008, 09:17
Deep Gap/FS71 is easy to access.....very easy driving for a dirt road.

Had my wife pick our scout troop up from there last summer. Only a few minutes drive to Standing Indian Campground from there.

But yeah.....it's the first road you'll see about seven miles north of Bly Gap.

If you stay at Plumorchard for the night before, you should have no problems reaching Deep Gap parking lot by evening, with a lunch stop at Muskrat Creek.

We stayed at Plumorchard, hiking to Muskrat for lunch and waited an hour or so due to rain, and still made it to Deep Gap by 4:00pm.

chelko
01-09-2008, 11:37
Deep Gap is great place to get off the trail but I wouldn't reccomend leaving a car there. If you need to leave a car do it at the Kiosk/trail parking at Standing Indian Campground. Kimsey Creek Trail(3.7 mi) runs from Deep Gap to the parking lot. Blue blazed all downhill along the creek for the most part. Nice cool down walk.

max patch
01-09-2008, 11:59
Used to spot a car at Rainbow Springs, but that option isn't available anymore.

I'd rather get permission to leave a car inside Standing Indian Campground rather than at the dedicated trail parking lots outside of the campground. My info is dated, but there has been instances of vandalism in the past.

maconmatt
01-09-2008, 12:11
Gotcha. Thanks everyone for all the great advise! This board rocks!

bigmac_in
01-09-2008, 12:17
maconmatt - when are you planning your section hike? I'll be hiking through there in May or June. Not sure how far into NC I'll be hiking, however.

Sly
01-09-2008, 12:19
Isn't there a trail near Bly Gap that leads to a road? If so how far..

max patch
01-09-2008, 12:26
Deep Gap/FS71 is easy to access.....very easy driving for a dirt road.

Keep in mind that its usually closed during winter. Check with Natahala Hiking Club if your planning to go there anytime in the next couple of months.

maconmatt
01-24-2008, 15:33
Ah. Thanks!

Yeah, we're planning on going on Feb. 29 > Jan. 3.

We actually may do Friday>Monday now...so I'm trying to figure out my distances, etc.

iesman69
01-24-2008, 15:51
Give Ron Haven(or any other shuttle service) a call about shuttling you to/from Deep Gap, if that's where you want to end your section. He dropped me off at Deep Gap last Oct. for me to begin a short section. His fee was very reasonable; and much safer than leaving a vehicle at Deep Gap.

kofritz
01-24-2008, 16:36
the closest road access is right outside hiwassee, georgia. unfortunately, i do not have my delorme map handy to give you the road. i think the road access (very, very rough - almost non passable except for 4Wdrive) is about 1-3 miles from the GA/NC border marker on the AT. i hope this helps.

Hungry
01-24-2008, 17:17
I can run you a copy of the handbook for that section if you wanted to pick it up. PM me for info. I'm in Macon.

Natchez
01-25-2008, 01:12
There is a road about 1or 2 hours fromm bly gap but
I would not leave a car there

Ron Haven
01-25-2008, 01:18
Isn't there a trail near Bly Gap that leads to a road? If so how far..Sly if you are hiking north and at the crooked oak tree at Bly Gap,go to the left and that old logging road will wind down the mountain to the west.It is about 2 miles and you will go past a forest service steel bar gate into a parking area.

It is accessable at this point with a car.From this parking area keep right down this forest service rd for about 2 miles into a secondary state rd.Turn right on this paved rd for about 3 miles and it will end at Eagle Fork Fire department.This was the original old 64 if you turn right or east the road goes through shooting creek community and ends into the new 64 at the bottom of the Chunky Gal Mtn.

At the Eagle Fork Fire dept if you turn left or west on the old 64 down to Giesky Creek rd,turn right 300 ft to new 64.Left 15 miles to Hayesville

Some time when you are around I could also show you another old logging rd that half way up the Chunky Gal Mtn on new 64 will go to Muskrat Creek Shelter.Then at the top of the Mtn the Chunky Gal Trail is well marked on new 64 to the A T north of the shelter oppx 1 mile.

These first two trails that I mentioned are in really bad condition.