PDA

View Full Version : 1000 mile AT hike in August: Where would you start?

Big_I
01-08-2008, 20:49
I have a few months to burn beginning in early August 2008 and I want to hit the AT. Can anyone suggest where to start and which direction to go?
Please comment on the conditions that one would encounter if your suggested section was begun in August. Such as: low/high temps, bugs, humidity, precipitation, human traffic, difficulty... you get the picture!

My thoughts so far:
-I wouldn't mind avoiding the bulk of the human traffic.
-Less heat/humidity is better.
-Less bugs would be better.
-I'll be living in SC so it would be easy to get to Spinger.
-I will be with a friend who isn't good with heights/climbing. I'm not really sure if there is anything like this on the trail (is there?). I have read that some sections require the use of hands, for example, in NH. So definitely no cliff hanger stuff.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 20:51
Start in Damascus, VA and walk north

ScottP
01-08-2008, 20:51
I'd start on Khatadhin

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 20:52
I'd start on Khatadhin

too many friggin northbounders to run into. don't start there

mudhead
01-08-2008, 21:04
And tourists. August rots. But we do have three days of summer then.

Blissful
01-08-2008, 21:04
I have a few months to burn beginning in early August 2008 and I want to hit the AT. Can anyone suggest where to start and which direction to go?
Please comment on the conditions that one would encounter if your suggested section was begun in August. Such as: low/high temps, bugs, humidity, precipitation, human traffic, difficulty... you get the picture!

My thoughts so far:
-I wouldn't mind avoiding the bulk of the human traffic.
-Less heat/humidity is better.
-Less bugs would be better.
-I'll be living in SC so it would be easy to get to Spinger.
-I will be with a friend who isn't good with heights/climbing. I'm not really sure if there is anything like this on the trail (is there?). I have read that some sections require the use of hands, for example, in NH. So definitely no cliff hanger stuff.

high temps, bugs, humidity, precipitation - you'll get all that in the south. Tropical systems too if it's an active season (and it may be this year). I live in VA and it's hot and humid until the end of Sept.

New England had the best weather in August, actually. But tough terrain, starting in NH north.

Have to decide what you want to endure, I think.

Harpers Ferry to Hanover, NH maybe? I think that's less than 1,000, not sure.

Big_I
01-08-2008, 21:20
high temps, bugs, humidity, precipitation - you'll get all that in the south. Tropical systems too if it's an active season (and it may be this year). I live in VA and it's hot and humid until the end of Sept.

New England had the best weather in August, actually. But tough terrain, starting in NH north.

Have to decide what you want to endure, I think.

Harpers Ferry to Hanover, NH maybe? I think that's less than 1,000, not sure.

First of all, Blissful, thanks for more that an one-line answer. It's hilariously uninformative when someone just blurts something out with no context.

Q1: Blissful, will the HF to Hanover route include technical areas?

Q2: Does anyone know where to find pics of the most technical sections?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 21:24
There are no "technical" sections on the AT. I am pithy.

Darwin again
01-08-2008, 21:39
You'll suffer for water all through the mid-Atlantic that time of year, not very many nice views, heat.

If you start at K, you'll be able to enjoy the cooler late summer and early fall in the high mountains, plus foliage peeping.

rafe
01-08-2008, 22:09
The best scenery (and hardest hiking) is at the north end of the trail. In other words, start at Katahdin. But you will have some company and you will run into all of the NOBO thru-hikers and lots of weekenders in the Whites.

If you want solitude, start well south of there, say in southern New England, and head south. I walked SOBO this summer between August 11 and September 19, starting in eastern PA -- and I had shelters to myself most nights.

By early August, most NOBO thru hikers are in Vermont or New Hampshire, and all but the fastest SOBOs are still east/north of the Hudson. (I met exactly two SOBO thru hikers on my trek.)

bigcranky
01-08-2008, 22:11
I would hike in Maine and New England. Cooler weather to start, then into fall by September.

The classic answer would be to start at Katahdin and head south. This puts you in the 100-mile wilderness to start. Not impossible, but a tough section.

You might look into starting at Monson, Maine, and heading south.

A-Train
01-08-2008, 22:22
You could start at the Canadian Border at the northern end of the Long Trail. This will give you about 2 weeks to get to the junction of the AT. By mid-to late August most of the NOBOs will be north of here and you'll never see them. Then you'd hit the mid-atlantic starting in september-less bugs, heat, people, but still pretty good weather

Big_I
01-08-2008, 22:59
You could start at the Canadian Border at the northern end of the Long Trail. This will give you about 2 weeks to get to the junction of the AT. By mid-to late August most of the NOBOs will be north of here and you'll never see them. Then you'd hit the mid-atlantic starting in september-less bugs, heat, people, but still pretty good weather

Very interesting idea! Is the Long Trail difficult for beginners with fear of heights?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2008, 23:38
yes it is

Tin Man
01-09-2008, 00:43
There are no "technical" sections on the AT. I am pithy.

I don't know, the Kennebec fording discussion was getting a little techinal.

Yahtzee
01-09-2008, 00:48
Start at DWG and go to Katahdin. If you want to avoid "crowds" of thru-hikers, it ain't that hard, just camp. You get 2-3 weeks to get into shape then onto MA, VT, NH and ME.

Big_I
01-09-2008, 01:03
I found two good threads that address difficulty in different sections.
<a href=http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15355&highlight=difficulty>One</a>
<a href=http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16506&highlight=difficulty>Two</a>

Digger'02
01-09-2008, 11:39
first, a 1,000 mile month is pretty optimistic, not saying you can't do it, but 1,000 miles divided by a 20mile day equals 50 days, and august doesn't have 50 days.

People who say NE has the hardest hiking are expressing their oponion. The whites are tough and beautiful, but only a small part of NE. Vermont is awesome and maine is flat respectivly but nicely remote. But nothing compares to the Mountain after mountain awe of the deep south section I will recomend:

August is hot in the south, but if you started at Fontana and finished up after Grayson highlands, you can hike about 500 miles (more doable in 1 month) and every step is pretty amazing....

Digger'02
01-09-2008, 11:40
when I say flat..i don't REALLy mean it, :) it flattens out I should say as you head north.

rafe
01-09-2008, 11:42
when I say flat..i don't REALLy mean it, :) it flattens out I should say as you head north.

Heading north, Maine doesn't get "easy" till Cartunk or Monson, IMO.

dessertrat
01-09-2008, 11:45
Start at Katahdin.

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 11:46
Start at Katahdin.
Yup.:) :)

Gray Blazer
01-09-2008, 11:49
I am pithy.
That could exthplain the frequent pithing contethtth.:D

Digger'02
01-09-2008, 12:05
you can't argue with Katahadin headed south. At least I won't. But I will argue with a 1000mile month....slow it up baby, there is no reason to try a 20 mile day in the whites/bigs...its doable, but why would you want to speed thru?

It will be pretty crowded up there though........

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 12:08
I thought the same thing til I read more and it seemed he actually has more available time than that.

Digger'02
01-09-2008, 12:11
Ahhh I should do my homework......

Big_I
01-09-2008, 13:08
first, a 1,000 mile month is pretty optimistic, not saying you can't do it, but 1,000 miles divided by a 20mile day equals 50 days, and august doesn't have 50 days.

We have ~ 2 months to burn. Just want to start in August. I appreciate all the suggestions!

weary
01-09-2008, 13:11
I would start at Harpers Ferry, or maybe southern Pennsylvania, if 1,000 miles is your limit, and go north. Stretch it to 1,100 miles and begin at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

REgardless of your start place, you should aim to end on Katahdin. Pennsylvania isn't the prettiest state, but New Jersey/ New York/ and southern New England are pretty, interesting, and easy, giving you a chance to build some muscles before reaching Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

The crowds should be pretty well gone by the time you reach Maine. September is absolutely fabulous in Maine. Cool nights. Few bugs. Generally low stream levels that make fording easy.

Weary