PDA

View Full Version : New Snickers Marathon bar!

MOWGLI
12-24-2003, 16:27
Just stopped at the local CVS here in Tennessee, and I see that Santa has brought a new Snickers energy bar to stores for us hikers. It's called the Snickers Marathon and is billed as a long lasting energy bar. It's supplemented with vitamins and contains 13 grams of protein. It's also VERY tasty. Cost was $1.49 (before .50 discount).

I hope some of you find them in your stocking tomorrow morning.

Happy Holidays to all.

cabalot
12-28-2003, 01:29
i heard about them to but have not tried. if anyone can make a tastey energy bar it has to be snickers. a regular snicker bar is a great way to injest so quick calories to tie you over till the next meal.
i'm gonna pick one up tomorrow and try.

Tater
12-28-2003, 02:10
Just stopped at the local CVS here in Tennessee, and I see that Santa has brought a new Snickers energy bar to stores for us hikers. It's called the Snickers Marathon and is billed as a long lasting energy bar. It's supplemented with vitamins and contains 13 grams of protein.

Does it have refined sugar like the rest of the sugar rush and crash bars?

MOWGLI
12-28-2003, 10:07
Does it have refined sugar like the rest of the sugar rush and crash bars?

Tater, I threw out the wrapper already, but as I recall, caramel was the #1 ingredient in the bar. I also have to admit to being fairly ignorant about nutrition.

Did you meet Vegas in 2000? He made homemade GORP, about 140# of it before he started his hike, and caramel was the #1 ingredient. He had it shipped to him in solid blocks, and claims (miraculously) to have never tired of it. I got tired of the same old, same old, after 2 weeks.

SorFinger
01-28-2004, 02:30
Did you meet Vegas in 2000? He made homemade GORP, about 140# of it before he started his hike, and caramel was the #1 ingredient. He had it shipped to him in solid blocks, and claims (miraculously) to have never tired of it. I got tired of the same old, same old, after 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have his recipe?

Brushy Sage
01-28-2004, 09:32
A friend (Butterfly Man) who was hiking with me during my first week from Springer Mt. carried a supply of Snickers Bars (old type). Toward the end of the day, when my strength was seriously flagging, we would take a short break and eat one of them. The energy rush was enough to get me to the next shelter or tenting site. One observation: for hikers who are in the southern Appalachians in Jan-Mar, (or So Bo's who are there in Nov/Dec), its a good idea to carry the Snickers and other such candies in a pocket close to the body, so body heat can keep them somewhat soft. Otherwise they get so hard that they are difficult to eat.

jlb2012
01-28-2004, 13:21
yep I can agree with you on the hardness of a Snickers in the cold - other than keeping them in a pocket where they stay somewhat warm about the only other approach that I have used is to cut them up ahead of time - stick a bite sized piece in the mouth and wait until it thaws out before chewing.

Patco
01-28-2004, 14:27
http://www.snickersmarathon.com/home.asp

We break down the SNICKERS® MARATHON™ Long Lasting Energy Bar.
18g sugars to answer your question - the rest is on the site if you're interested.

:bse SNICKERS in the morning, SNICKERS in the noontime, SNICKERS in the evening ... don't forget to brush.

ToeJam
01-10-2005, 07:48
So how are these, any more recent reviews? Sound yummy and more palitable than the other energy bars, but it looks like none available locally here in Nowheresville. Before I think about ordering some online and paying the shipping, etc, whaddaya think?

I've never taken chocolate bars before, always the standby has been Quaker PB CHoc Chip which always hit the spot, but these are actually pretty similar weight-wise and pack more of a punch it seems. I don't mind paying a lil more since we are only doing a 100 mile section or so this year.

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 09:05
So how are these, any more recent reviews? Sound yummy and more palitable than the other energy bars, but it looks like none available locally here in Nowheresville. Before I think about ordering some online and paying the shipping, etc, whaddaya think?

I've never taken chocolate bars before, always the standby has been Quaker PB CHoc Chip which always hit the spot, but these are actually pretty similar weight-wise and pack more of a punch it seems. I don't mind paying a lil more since we are only doing a 100 mile section or so this year.

I donno. I think that plain old Snickers tastes much better than the Marathon. I don't know that I'd buy another box of 'em or not.

By the way, Sams Club in Chattanooga sells Marathon Bars, so I imagine they carry them nationally. If you know anyone who shops there, ask them to pick you up a case.

SGT Rock
01-10-2005, 09:11
I got some Snickers cookie bars, very tastey. They make a good alternative to breakfast bars.

Kerosene
01-11-2005, 14:33
Defintely not as tasty as a regular Snickers candybar, but they're pretty good for an energy bar. However, I find that I have a problem trying to stomach energy bars, Fig Newtons, and other dry stuff after several days of hiking.

bigcat2
01-11-2005, 14:59
I personally enjoy the Marathon Bars. They help break up the monotany of the cliff bars I also take along w/ me on hikes. The only problem is trying to hike long distances w/ them in the summer, as I'm sure w/ any chocolate bars would be. They tend to give me enough energy until dinner so that is always a plus. Just thought I'd put my two cents worth in.

JoeHiker
01-11-2005, 15:03
For a second there, I thought they were bringing back the REAL Marathon bar. From the 70s. I used to love those.

Too bad.

BrianM
06-24-2005, 16:44
I just bought a couple of Hooah Bars at 7-Eleven - and they tasted great and delivered energy I needed. The story is these bars were deisgned for military special forces for sustained energy. Complex carbs no crash and burn, says on the bar's website the military's commecial partner shares proceeds to support our soldiers gear and food engineering

Goon
06-24-2005, 21:21
I just bought a couple of Hooah Bars at 7-ElevenInteresting! Going kayaking on Sunday ... I'll have to try to find some. More information at:

http://www.defenselink.mil/transformation/articles/2005-04/ta042905a.html

ed bell
10-12-2006, 22:09
Just received an 18 pack of the Marathon Protein Caramel Nut Rush. 20g protein. Heavy fuel. I really liked the taste compared to the energy bars I have used before. It really is quite a "candy bar":sun

johnny quest
10-17-2006, 17:00
picked up a payday (with trailmix!) energy bar today. they took a wonderful candy bar and really screwed it up!