PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy good trail runners in Franklin NC area?

badknees
01-09-2008, 08:38
Hi,

We live in Franklin,NC in some of the best hiking in the USA. Unfortunately, we are a little short on stores! LOL

Does anyone know of a good place, within about 25 miles, that has a good selection of trail runners and/or boots? The local outfitter has a selection of Asolo boots in about 3 styles, that is it! They also recommended boots, but we are only going less than 10 miles with about 4lb packs. I thought that trail runners would be a better idea than boots.

I have duck shaped feet (wide width, narrow heel) and have gone through about 4 pairs of boots already. All slip at the heel and cause blisters, even with 2 pairs of socks. (light alpaca undersocks, wool oversocks), so buying online is hopeless.

I also have had knee replacements and need good support (flat feet). Any suggestions from people that have had knee replacements and hike, please let me know.

My husband and I are just beginning and , at this time, are working up to distances. We are DEFINITELY in the "easy hike" stage, but want to work up to the long hikes.

Thanks.

Appalachian Tater
01-09-2008, 08:51
Your feet sound like mine. I suggest you try some of the New Balance running shoes. "Sneakers" are what most orthopods recommend after knee or hip replacement surgery anyway.

If no store near you has them, order them from someplace like Zappos that has "free" fast shipping and accepts returns at their own expense. You can order several pairs and keep the right size and send the rest back without feeling bad about it, it's their business model. After you know what size and model fits you, then you can order them from wherever they are cheapest. If you explore the New Balance website, it talks about what kind of foot a shoe fits well.

If you still aren't comfortable buying shoes on the internet, and New Balance aren't available locally, you might plan a trip to a nearby city with a store with a large selection of New Balance.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 10:25
You've got Three Eagles Outfitters right there in Franklin. If they don't have what you want it would be worth the hour drive to Mountain Crossings at Neel gap down in Georgia. If they don't have what you need, then hiking ain't for you. :)

Marta
01-09-2008, 10:27
I've had good luck with buying shoes online from Road Runner Sports.