PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rogers/Thomas Knob Shelter

bigbear44
01-09-2008, 11:45
I am looking for the best way to get to the Thomas Knob shelter near Mount Rogers for next weekend. It is supposed to be snowing so I would want to start at a low elevation to get there, but would not mind hiking ~15 miles to get there. I can't find any maps on this, which is highly unusual for me because I'm kinda a computer nerd.

jlb2012
01-09-2008, 12:01
I would guess its about 5 miles from Massey Gap / Grayson Highlands SP - not sure if you want to do the AT or one of the horse trails to Rhodo Gap (AT has more and bigger rocks)

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 12:13
Park at Elk Garden/VA 600. Walk NOBO 4.2 miles to the shelter. The best way.

bigcranky
01-09-2008, 13:47
Elk Garden is good. Massey Gap in Grayson Highlands is also very close, maybe ~4 miles up the AT over Wilburn Ridge. The Fox Creek trailhead on VA 603 is also good, and a longer hike. You can do a loop around Mt Rogers from there. (The length depends on which of many trails you take.)

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 13:54
I am looking for the best way to get to the Thomas Knob shelter near Mount Rogers for next weekend. It is supposed to be snowing so I would want to start at a low elevation to get there, but would not mind hiking ~15 miles to get there. I can't find any maps on this, which is highly unusual for me because I'm kinda a computer nerd.

Stop at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus on the way and buy the Trails Illustated map of the Mount Rogers area.

bigbear44
01-09-2008, 17:27
Is there any place I might be able to hit the AT at a lower elevation? Like I said, I really don't mind doing 15 miles each day, but will probably need to start at a lower elevation because the weather could be iffy and my girlfriend who is taking us up there doesn't exactly have a car that can handle snow well. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

orangebug
01-09-2008, 18:58
You could start at Fox Creek (if I recall correctly) and get there through a combination of AT and blue blaze/horse trails via Rhododron Gap. That's if you really want to climb and don't want the quicker better suggestions already given (Massey Gap and Elk Garden).

Personally, I'd avoid Massey Gap due to the exposed rocks and numerous opportunities for falling on ice heading South from there.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 20:35
You could start at Fox Creek (if I recall correctly) and get there through a combination of AT and blue blaze/horse trails via Rhododron Gap. That's if you really want to climb and don't want the quicker better suggestions already given (Massey Gap and Elk Garden).

Personally, I'd avoid Massey Gap due to the exposed rocks and numerous opportunities for falling on ice heading South from there.

plus it's a long drive to get there. massey gap

e-doc
01-12-2008, 23:01
Judging by the manner of your question, it sounds to me like you may not be very experienced. ( Wanting to start lo and do 15 miles in a day in January. If you are sorry.) If you are want to do a Thomas Knob loop I'd start down in Grindstone. Come back from TK via Pine MT trail and AT. Be aware that conditions can be really bad up in the Highlands in winter. Don't bite off more than you can chew and end up getting rescued. (I'll be going up in a few weeks and if the weather looks bad I may end up taking what I have carried on Rainier.Be prepared.)

Hikerhead
01-12-2008, 23:22

If it's icy you can use the horse trail.

bigbear44
01-14-2008, 21:30
e-doc, I wouldn't really call myself experienced, but I usually go to either the Smokies or some other highlands in east TN about once a month. Usually my schedule only permits dayhikes, but I have endured some rough weather on them and the few backpacks I've done. I've done several 14-18 mile days with 2k-4k feet elevation gains and trees down over the trail (none with ice/snow) but I have done a 12 miler in ice that was (Not kidding, I know it's unbelievable) at least 6" deep in most spots. That day it was 9 on top of the mountain with wind blowing about 20-30 mph. Point being, I'm not extremely experienced, but not a complete novice either. I truly appreciate your concern though. It is very thoughtful of you.

Thanks for all the replies, but I have 2 more questions. It appears I will be taking the Fox Creek trailhead. Is the trailhead to this well-marked? Is there a parking lot there, or is it a park on the side of the road type deal? I'm just not too familiar with this area, and am wanting to get a good idea of what to be looking before, because we will probably begin our hike before sunrise.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 21:33
yes the trailhead is well marked. you'll see a sign on your right "APPALACHIAN TRAIL". there's a parking lot there

bigcranky
01-14-2008, 21:56
We did the loop from Fox Creek up to Thomas Knob a few years ago as a New Year's hike. It's a good overnight winter hike as long as there isn't a major storm. We climbed up the AT past the Old Orchard Shelter to the top of Pine Mountain, then took the Pine Mountain trail to Rhododendron Gap, where we picked up the AT again out to Thomas Knob. The next day we kept going on the AT to Deep Gap, where we took the Mt Rogers National Scenic Trail down to the Lewis Fork Trail and back over to the Old Orchard Shelter. Then back down the AT to the parking lot. (Is that clear? The map helps.)

There's usually water at both shelters, and privies. If the weather is really good, and you have the right tent, you might want to camp. There are plenty of good, obvious, and heavily-used campsites right on the AT between Rhodo Gap and Thomas Knob, though you can't tent inside the fence near the shelter.

What else? Hmm. There is a horse trail that parallels the Pine Mountain Trail. It has better views and is in the open almost the whole way. (That's a drawback in heavy wind and snow, of course.) But that trail and Rhododendron Gap can be totally glazed with ice, and difficult to traverse. (It's big, flat, and open; the sun hits it, softens the snow, and it re-freezes like an ice rink.)

Have fun. It's a nice hike. We didn't see a single person the whole time we were out.

Be prepared for bad weather.

orangebug
01-14-2008, 22:26
And get the map from MRO, as it shows the blue blazes and horse trails that can save your euphemisms. The one problem is the reputation of Fox Creek parking lot for vandalism. You might be better to park at Elk Garden as there is more traffic - more witnesses.

But there are no bad hikes at Mt Rogers.

Frau
01-15-2008, 08:02
Nessmuk and I may be making this a backpacking trip this weekend, also. We received the same advice about Fox Creek. We will be carrying crampons, but may end up traveling further south to hike if the weather is too iffy.

OR, we might end up at the Cranberry, OR the Priest--and they say women have changeable minds (wink). I think the Dismal Swamp might be a good four day weekend.

So many adventures, so little time!!

Working to support our adventure habits,

Frau and Nessmuk

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 08:10
Nessmuk and I may be making this a backpacking trip this weekend, also. We received the same advice about Fox Creek. We will be carrying crampons, but may end up traveling further south to hike if the weather is too iffy.

the weather for the weekend is looking fine. just a chance of snow showers. no crampons needed

chelko
01-15-2008, 09:59
Pack the crampons... you can always leave them in the car!

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 10:00
why would they be needed?

StarLyte
01-15-2008, 10:11
All great ideas, including Hikerhead's - yep I've hiked all those blue blazes around there :rolleyes:

I think Fox Creek would be your hardest though, no? Vertical climb all the way to the top of Pine Mountain?

Elk Garden is cool. You can even take the blue blaze from Elk Garden over to Thomas Knob :D but if it's you're first time around there in the winter, stay on the A.T.

If you want to investigate it all, pick up a National Geographic map of Mt. Rogers so it lists ALL of the trails including the blue blazes/horse trails too.

HAVE FUN !!!!

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 10:13
I think Fox Creek would be your hardest though, no? Vertical climb all the way to the top of Pine Mountain?

nah. fairly gentle climb really

bigcranky
01-15-2008, 10:33

It's a nice climb, well graded, with a spectacular finish as you come out into the open on top of Pine Mtn. You can stop at Old Orchard Shelter for a break about 1/3 of the way up.

e-doc
01-15-2008, 11:05
The forecast Saturday is high in teens, wind 20+ mph, cloudy and snowy. I do not recommend staying in the shelter, it will be REALLY cold. I would question the safety of backpacking solo, in an unfamiliar area, exposed, in marginal conditions. Only my opinion: though I have climbed Mt Washington in winter and hiked or backpacked in conditions as bad/worse on Grandfather, Mt Mitchell, Roans, and Rogers (each place multiple times)

See: http://www.averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain Ray Russell is very accurate.