PDA

View Full Version : Bear turned 14!!!

CrumbSnatcher
01-09-2008, 13:24
Those of you who know BooBoo Bear dog she turned 14 on Dec 29th!!!! She's a little too old to hike now and her hearing is going, but she is healthy and has a strong heart, they think its because of her 8,000+ miles!!!

Jim Adams
01-09-2008, 13:27
Crumb,
did you know that Annie passed?

geek

Miss Janet
01-09-2008, 21:07
Happy Birthday Dear Bear!!!!

Ok, I won't sing it... I promise.

I love the Bear story about the time you yelled "BEAR!" to keep her from barking at hikers approaching a shelter late in the evening... the hikers took this as a warning and ran back down the trail...

By the way, Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Rouen
01-10-2008, 00:47
Happy birthday to Bear :banana

Hotrod
01-24-2008, 12:22
:clapHappy Birthday Bear!

It is good to know that you are still makin your daddy proud. Did you just do a '07 thru-hike? Nice comeback as it appeared that you were retiring after '02.

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2008, 21:16
HOT ROD, how are you. its been awhile. bear offically retired from hiking late 2005 i believe. 99'GA-ME 02'GA-D.W.G(SKIPPED SMOKIES) 03'GA-ME 04'D.W.G-VT. 05'VT,N.H.,ME. 07'SMOKIES *IN 2003 BEAR WAS 10YRS OLD ALREADY, I KNEW I WANTED HER TO HAVE SOME DAYS OFF, I JUST WANTED TO HAVE HER WITH ME ON THE JOURNEY,SO THANKS TO GREAT FRIENDS LIKE NIGHTSTALKER,MISS J, BOB PEOPLES,JEFF AT MT. ROGERS,BAG O TRICK,BONZO,BLISTER SISTER... BEAR WOULD HAVE A FEW VACATION DAYS WITH PEOPLE THAT WANTED TO WATCH HER NOT WOULD WATCH HER! AND I WOULD DO 25-47 MILE DAYS GOOD FOR ME AND HER, ALWAYS MISSED HER THOUGH. THANKS FOR HIKING THE KIMSEY CREEK STANDING INDIAN LOOP WITH ME, THAT WAS A BLAST! P.S. IT SAID 2002-2007 ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND HIKED THE SMOKIES MARCH O7' FOR MY BIRTHDAY...

jersey joe
01-24-2008, 21:41
Crumbsnacher, I met you and Bear on the first night of my thru hike in 2002. You likely don't remember me, but I took a look and I did mention you in my journal entry for that day...here is the part where I mentioned you and even mentioned bear...Happy Birthday BEAR!!!

"Monday March 18

Miles hiked: 12.7
Miles from Springer: 16.1
Stayed at Gooch Gap

Last night at Stovercreek some dude in the lean-to snored really loudly all night! But I guess I was pretty tired, because I slept rather well anyway. I woke up at 6:30 and made oatmeal for breakfast. I think I'd rather not have warm breakfasts because firing up the stove at 6:45 isn't really convenient. I packed up and said goodbye to Will, Wicked, his dog Flash, Scott (by the way, Scott is a slightly overweight fellow that started hiking with 86 lbs. on his back. He's struggling and I doubt he'll make it all the way, though I really hope he'll prove me wrong. Then I headed out with Crumbsnatcher and his dog "Bear". Incidentally his dog actually looks like a bear, it's huge, overweight, hairy, and black. It scared several hikers along the way, which I found amusing. Crumbsnatcher stayed at Hawk Mtn. Shelter and I said goodbye and moved on."

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2008, 22:01
of course i remember jersey joe. i think i tented with wicked at stover creek! so i hope i wasnt the one snoring. me and wicked had already hiked in 99' so we weren't gung ho in the beginning of the hike in 02' pretty laid back.i think we reached neels gap as you were leaving. i hope you had a great journey and many more to come.

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2008, 22:21
Crumbsnacher, I met you and Bear on the first night of my thru hike in 2002. You likely don't remember me, but I took a look and I did mention you in my journal entry for that day...here is the part where I mentioned you and even mentioned bear...Happy Birthday BEAR!!!

"Monday March 18

Miles hiked: 12.7
Miles from Springer: 16.1
Stayed at Gooch Gap

Last night at Stovercreek some dude in the lean-to snored really loudly all night! But I guess I was pretty tired, because I slept rather well anyway. I woke up at 6:30 and made oatmeal for breakfast. I think I'd rather not have warm breakfasts because firing up the stove at 6:45 isn't really convenient. I packed up and said goodbye to Will, Wicked, his dog Flash, Scott (by the way, Scott is a slightly overweight fellow that started hiking with 86 lbs. on his back. He's struggling and I doubt he'll make it all the way, though I really hope he'll prove me wrong. Then I headed out with Crumbsnatcher and his dog "Bear". Incidentally his dog actually looks like a bear, it's huge, overweight, hairy, and black. It scared several hikers along the way, which I found amusing. Crumbsnatcher stayed at Hawk Mtn. Shelter and I said goodbye and moved on." THIS IS ALSO WHAT MISS JANET WAS REFFERING TOO. at max epperson shelter behind the amicalola falls visitor center, two hikers were walking up to the shelter very late. my dog doesnt bark very often she wolfs like a bear. and so i yell BEAR-NO! THE HIKERS HEARD THERES A BEAR DONT COME OVER HEAR! AND RAN LIKE THE WIND,NEVER TO RETURN. in 2003 i think somebody stepped on bears foot at the annual book sale at the library in kent, ct. started hiking out of town. about a mile from stewart hollow brook lean-to she could not walk anymore. so along with the 40-50 lb. pack i had a 90 lb. dog around my neck. i walk into the shelter area, i hear two thruhikers i recognize they never seeed to like me , its pitch dark, sooooo i change my voice. i walk into the shelter set this bearcub down, and say hurry cover it up, the mothers right behind me. you picture the rest.

jersey joe
01-24-2008, 22:24
of course i remember jersey joe. i think i tented with wicked at stover creek! so i hope i wasnt the one snoring. me and wicked had already hiked in 99' so we weren't gung ho in the beginning of the hike in 02' pretty laid back.i think we reached neels gap as you were leaving. i hope you had a great journey and many more to come.
Naw, it wasn't you snoring, it was some older guy in the shelter...now I also remember you and wicked and your buddy on top of springer...we had a couple shots of blackberry brandy if i recall...and wicked made fun of me because my food bag weighed more than his pack...good sendoff...thanks, i had a great hike!!!