PDA

View Full Version : DA may seek Death Penalty

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 14:25
Just read on Atlanta Constitution online that the DA says he was not part of the deal with Hilton to not seek the death penalty and that they may still seek the ultimate punishment

colbys
01-09-2008, 14:29
i say thats the best news ive heard since this whole ordeal started..:)

only wish georgia was one of the states that still hangs people..
but ill take the chair or lethal injection..

TNjed
01-09-2008, 14:35
or they could let him loose on the trail and let us deal with him. Let him feel the terror he caused in other people's lives!

berninbush
01-09-2008, 14:37
Hmmm... have to think about that one...

I support the death penalty and this guy definitely appears to deserve it. I would not be at all sad if he got it.

On the other hand... the DA needs to give some thought to impact on future cases. Plea agreements work because criminals have a certain level of faith that the law will hold up its end of the bargain. No one likes to see a heinous criminal get off with a lighter punishment, but sometimes that's the only way to accomplish important goals (like finding a live victim or a victim's body, as in this case).

I'm sure Hilton's only motivation in leading them to Meredith's body was that he expected not to get the death penalty. Without that, it might have been months or years before she was found, and they might not have succeeded in convicting him of murder. The DA might not have been part of the deal, but Hilton probably didn't know that. The DA has to think about what will happen next time there's a case like this and they need to persuade a criminal to cooperate. If they're on the record as offering "fake" deals and then going back on it, they're not going to get cooperation.

PhoenixGSU
01-09-2008, 14:44
It was authorities in Union Co. (kidnapping charge) that made the deal, but since the murder took place in Dawson Co. (murder) the prosecutor there, who was not present to make the deal, says he will consider death. I love loopholes.

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 14:44
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/01/08/emerson_0109.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Bulldawg
01-09-2008, 14:49

I support the death penalty and this guy definitely appears to deserve it. I would not be at all sad if he got it.

On the other hand... the DA needs to give some thought to impact on future cases. Plea agreements work because criminals have a certain level of faith that the law will hold up its end of the bargain. No one likes to see a heinous criminal get off with a lighter punishment, but sometimes that's the only way to accomplish important goals (like finding a live victim or a victim's body, as in this case).

I'm sure Hilton's only motivation in leading them to Meredith's body was that he expected not to get the death penalty. Without that, it might have been months or years before she was found, and they might not have succeeded in convicting him of murder. The DA might not have been part of the deal, but Hilton probably didn't know that. The DA has to think about what will happen next time there's a case like this and they need to persuade a criminal to cooperate. If they're on the record as offering "fake" deals and then going back on it, they're not going to get cooperation.

They would have found her a bit sooner. I understand it they were already looking extremely close to where she was found. Sure his cooperation made it faster. But I believe she would have been found nonetheless, pretty soon.

Dances with Mice
01-09-2008, 14:54
http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109280

The man suspected of kidnapping and killing 24-year-old hiker Meredith Emerson told authorities that he held her captive for three days inside his van before taking her to the Dawson Forest Management Area on Friday and killing her, a source close to the investigation told 11Alive News Wednesday.

In exchange for information on the whereabouts of Emerson's body, authorities in Union County where Gary Hilton was charged with kidnapping agreed not to seek the death penalty against Hilton.

Hilton has since been moved to the Dawson County jail to face murder charges. Even though the no-death penalty deal was made in Union County, authorities in Dawson County told 11Alive's Kevin Rowson that they will honor it.

Pony
01-09-2008, 14:54
i say thats the best news ive heard since this whole ordeal started..:)

only wish georgia was one of the states that still hangs people..
but ill take the chair or lethal injection..

Granted, this guy is a low life POS, but isn't there some irony in being elated about a person's possible death, in retaliation for a death that was so devastating? I'm just saying, what makes murder acceptable in some instances and not in others.

Sly
01-09-2008, 14:55
Heh, heh... that would be great. If that's the case, it's most likely he'll die in prison before he's executed but, just knowing may give hin nightmares.

However, if I'm not mistaken, one problem may be he'll be on death row and not in the genral population where his sentance could be carried out by a fellow inmate.

Sly
01-09-2008, 14:58
The DA might not have been part of the deal, but Hilton probably didn't know that. The DA has to think about what will happen next time there's a case like this and they need to persuade a criminal to cooperate. If they're on the record as offering "fake" deals and then going back on it, they're not going to get cooperation.

Yeah, you need to think about it. The Union County DA made the deal, they're not backing out, so it wasn't a fake deal. If the criminal isn't aware of his options, it's his lawyers fault.

RITBlake
01-09-2008, 14:58
Just read on Atlanta Constitution online that the DA says he was not part of the deal with Hilton to not seek the death penalty and that they may still seek the ultimate punishment

haha, no suprise there. Lawyers break deals like you and I break eggs

jesse
01-09-2008, 14:59
This guy is going to die in prison, probably before they would ever get around to executing him. I say use the death penalty to force a life plea. If there is a trial, and an execution, that gives him too much face time on TV. The sooner this dirt bag fades into obscurity, the better.

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 15:00
http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=109280

The man suspected of kidnapping and killing 24-year-old hiker Meredith Emerson told authorities that he held her captive for three days inside his van before taking her to the Dawson Forest Management Area on Friday and killing her, a source close to the investigation told 11Alive News Wednesday.

In exchange for information on the whereabouts of Emerson's body, authorities in Union County where Gary Hilton was charged with kidnapping agreed not to seek the death penalty against Hilton.

Hilton has since been moved to the Dawson County jail to face murder charges. Even though the no-death penalty deal was made in Union County, authorities in Dawson County told 11Alive's Kevin Rowson that they will honor it.

That is an older story. I wouldn't put much trust in info on TV news websites

Sly
01-09-2008, 15:00
Granted, this guy is a low life POS, but isn't there some irony in being elated about a person's possible death, in retaliation for a death that was so devastating? I'm just saying, what makes murder acceptable in some instances and not in others.

You don't see the difference between a murder and a state execution? :rolleyes:

RITBlake
01-09-2008, 15:03
60+ year old, white, small, weak men don't last very long in prison.

He'll be dead soon enough one way or another.

D'Artagnan
01-09-2008, 15:04

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you don't vote Republican. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf

huh? i'm very elated this POS will die soon. him being murdered is totally acceptable

Pony
I see the difference. I guess it just seems odd that the death of anyone would give someone a reason to be happy.

jesse
01-09-2008, 15:06
OSUBCS#1

what makes murder acceptable in some instances and not in others.

This probably needs to be in the political forum, But how can you begin to draw moral equivalency between murdering an unarmed innocent victim, and capital punishment.

PhoenixGSU
01-09-2008, 15:06
huh? i'm very elated this POS will die soon. him being murdered is totally acceptable

I agree. There are some people in this world that do not deserve to continue breathing.

Sly
01-09-2008, 15:07
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you don't vote Republican. :rolleyes:

D'Art.. something like this doesn't always fall along political lines. I tend to vote Democrat more often than not and I'd like to see the guy fry. Painfully too! ;)

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 15:09
OSUBCS#1

This probably needs to be in the political forum, But how can you begin to draw moral equivalency between murdering an unarmed innocent victim, and capital punishment.

Well said!! I agree 110%

A lot of people's problem with capital punishment is the number of those who have been executed who were later found to be innocent via DNA. THIS IS A CLEAR CUT CASE. FRY THE BASTARD!

jesse
01-09-2008, 15:10
D'Art.. something like this doesn't always fall along political lines

Thats right, remember in 2002 when Bill Clinton flew back to Arkansas to execute that guy, because he needed a boost in the polls.

Sly
01-09-2008, 15:13
Thats right, remember in 2002 when Bill Clinton flew back to Arkansas to execute that guy, because he needed a boost in the polls.

No I don't remember. Why would Clinton need a boost in 2002 and how did he execute him?

jesse
01-09-2008, 15:14
I'm sorry it was 1992, when he was first elected

Sly
01-09-2008, 15:16
I'm sorry it was 1992, when he was first elected

Since it was for political gains are you sayig the guy didn't deserve to be executed? Must have been a nice murderer.

jesse
01-09-2008, 15:19
The guy was Ricky Ray Rector, Jan 1992, He was mentally challenged
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CEED91F3EF936A15752C0A9649582 60

jesse
01-09-2008, 15:21
Sly those two issues are not mutualy exclusive. It was for political gain, and he deseerved it. Both true.

Sly
01-09-2008, 15:22
The guy was Ricky Ray Rector, Jan 1992, He was mentally challenged
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CEED91F3EF936A15752C0A9649582 60

Oh OK, where's the article about Bush doing basically the same?

Pony
01-09-2008, 15:23
I'm not sure that I stated that the way I meant to, and I wasn't intending to turn it into a debate about capital punishment. I think what I meant is that feeling a sense of satisfaction that justice has been served is different than taking pleasure in a death.

Sly
01-09-2008, 15:28
All and al I think the murderers take more pleasure in death and killing. Just because I'd like to see Hilton fry, and painfully at that, doesn't mean I take pleasure in it. It's what he deserves.

dessertrat
01-09-2008, 15:37
Can someone move this to political so I can comment without feeling like I am being inappropriate?

DogMother
01-09-2008, 15:37
I think I heard that they might have the death penalty as an option IF they could link Meredith Emerson's death to the another case.

per CNN
"Also Monday, federal, Georgia and North Carolina investigators met in nearby Cleveland, Georgia, to compare notes on the Emerson case and a similar case from a few months ago in North Carolina, according to FBI Special Agent Greg Jones.
In the North Carolina case, an elderly couple -- John and Irene Bryant -- disappeared after going for a hike in Mount Pisgah National Forest. Irene Bryant's body was found near the couple's car. John Bryant's body has not been found, but Keenan referred to the case Monday night as a "double homicide."

So they can keep their promise of no death penalty for Emerson's case but may have it as a possible sentence if the piece of $hit also killed the couple.

I live in GA, am female and have hiked that area by myself numerous times.
I do think that part of the problem in the Emerson case was because she AND he (the killer) both had dogs. And obviously his dog was friendly. IMHO this possibly overcame any natural wariness she might have had for this guy (or any stranger). It put her at ease, which it might do for any dog loving person (a group I belong to). It's a problem that people don't always recognize thinking that hiking with a dog will help them keep the bad people away. Sometimes it does but often enough it can make people more vulnerable. Especially if the killer said he would harm the dog if she didn't cooperate or similiar.
That's one of the reasons I don't hike much with my pups.
I think women need to be aware of their surroundings and wary of strangers when they are hiking alone. But I don't think that women should stay off the trails.

max patch
01-09-2008, 15:41
I heard on 750 WSB radio news an hour ago that the Dawson DA said he would honor the agreement.

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 15:41
I think I heard that they might have the death penalty as an option IF they could link Meredith Emerson's death to the another case.

per CNN
"Also Monday, federal, Georgia and North Carolina investigators met in nearby Cleveland, Georgia, to compare notes on the Emerson case and a similar case from a few months ago in North Carolina, according to FBI Special Agent Greg Jones.
In the North Carolina case, an elderly couple -- John and Irene Bryant -- disappeared after going for a hike in Mount Pisgah National Forest. Irene Bryant's body was found near the couple's car. John Bryant's body has not been found, but Keenan referred to the case Monday night as a "double homicide."

So they can keep their promise of no death penalty for Emerson's case but may have it as a possible sentence if the piece of $hit also killed the couple.

I live in GA, am female and have hiked that area by myself numerous times.
I do think that part of the problem in the Emerson case was because she AND he (the killer) both had dogs. And obviously his dog was friendly. IMHO this possibly overcame any natural wariness she might have had for this guy (or any stranger). It put her at ease, which it might do for any dog loving person (a group I belong to). It's a problem that people don't always recognize thinking that hiking with a dog will help them keep the bad people away. Sometimes it does but often enough it can make people more vulnerable. Especially if the killer said he would harm the dog if she didn't cooperate or similiar.
That's one of the reasons I don't hike much with my pups.
I think women need to be aware of their surroundings and wary of strangers when they are hiking alone. But I don't think that women should stay off the trails.

Check out the Atlanta Constitution's website. They just published a story quoting the DA saying he was not part of the deal and they may seek the death penalty regarding murder.

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 15:44
Can someone move this to political so I can comment without feeling like I am being inappropriate?

Just because a few people turned this thread political doesn't mean the overall content is. Why are people so sensative about where a thread is posted??

Bolo
01-09-2008, 15:51

Simple. One's the law, the other isn't.

dessertrat
01-09-2008, 15:52
Just because a few people turned this thread political doesn't mean the overall content is. Why are people so sensative about where a thread is posted??

Because some people on here complain like heck when "general" becomes "political". I wouldn't care so much except it upsets others a lot. So. . . .

DesertMTB
01-09-2008, 15:57
Because some people on here complain like heck when "general" becomes "political". I wouldn't care so much except it upsets others a lot. So. . . .

Right on. Just read an interesting Thru-Hiker's possible meeting of Hilton two years ago on Trail Journals via another thread on here.

leeki pole
01-09-2008, 16:03
Yep, ditto that. This scumbag killed a girl for absolutely no apparent reason, the DA says he does want to pursue death penalty charges. That's not political, that's the legal system. I agree with Sly 100%, fry the sucker.

max patch
01-09-2008, 16:07
Check out the Atlanta Constitution's website. They just published a story quoting the DA saying he was not part of the deal and they may seek the death penalty regarding murder.

Same quote you referenced is also on the 750 WSB radio site.

I guess the person reading the news didn't know the latest twist in the case.

Rentman
01-09-2008, 16:21
He needs to get the Jeffrey Dahmer treatment...........;)

DogMother
01-09-2008, 16:38

Good

I understand that the death penalty is not a deterrent but at least Hilton will never kill again if he gets it.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/05/76/65/image_6465765.jpg

He reminds me of that piece of slime Couey.

http://mylifeofcrime.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/jessica-and-couey.jpg

Sly
01-09-2008, 16:41
Well, being old and scuffy is one thing, I guess it's a good thing I'm not bald. :)

DogMother
01-09-2008, 16:49
Well, being old and scuffy is one thing, I guess it's a good thing I'm not bald. :)

You don't wear a lot of orange do you? :D

Pony
01-09-2008, 16:59
All and al I think the murderers take more pleasure in death and killing. Just because I'd like to see Hilton fry, and painfully at that, doesn't mean I take pleasure in it. It's what he deserves.

That's fair, I just don't understand why people act like their team just scored a touchdown when a death sentence is handed down.

My apologies, poor judgement on my part. I'll wait until it's in the political forum before I comment further.

Sly
01-09-2008, 17:05
You don't wear a lot of orange do you? :D

Nope, I've managed to avoid having to wear that uniform, but thanks for asking! ;)

Waterbuffalo
01-09-2008, 18:12
I don't understand why he's got a bullet proof vest on? in the photo above.

dessertrat
01-09-2008, 18:15

Are you serious? We might like it if someone shot him, but anyone accused of such a crime will be protected from vigilantes in such a fashion.

PhoenixGSU
01-09-2008, 18:15
I'm sure some people would love to Jack Ruby him.

oldfivetango
01-09-2008, 18:32

Forgive me,Sly,but weren't you the one who said the other day that it
would also be ok with you to send him(Hilton) down to Gitmo and have
him waterboarded?:D

As long as we are a nation governed by the Rule of Law we have got
to support that system and I am sure that you do,as do I and most of
the parties here.We cannot tolerate vigilante justice regardless of the
emotional distress scumbags like this one cause us.

He will get what he deserves and when he does it will be ok for the
rest of us to be glad.
Oldfivetango

Kirby
01-09-2008, 19:11
I am torn here. I am opposed to the death penalty, but this guy deserves to have his life privilege taken away.

It's tough, because this story hit close to home for a lot of people. A lot of you have hiked this section of trail, or have been in the vicinity of where it happened, or live near there.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2008, 19:25
Well if that's how you feel, Kirby, then you're not really opposed to the death penalty at all.

You feel the way the vast majority of American do: There are some people who commit deeds so terrible that they deserve to die. As you said, he has forfeited his right to live.

Your supporting, in certain cases, the penalty of death doesn't make you a bad person, Kirby.

It makes you a realist.

The fact of the matter, is that at the end of the day, the vast majority of people feel exactly the way you do about Mr. Hilton.

Take this guy out and hang him, ASAP.

Kirby
01-09-2008, 19:27
Good point Jack.

Put him in a gas chamber, he will suffer more that way, although it is a little cruel and unusual, what he did was cruel and unusual.

I will never say I am hiking alone again.

Kirby

Speer Carrier
01-09-2008, 19:33
As long as we are a nation governed by the Rule of Law we have got
to support that system and I am sure that you do,as do I and most of
the parties here.We cannot tolerate vigilante justice regardless of the
emotional distress scumbags like this one cause us.

He will get what he deserves and when he does it will be ok for the
rest of us to be glad.
Oldfivetango

There you go being rational again. And, of course you're right. But, having said that, my fantasy is that he be sent to some country that isn't so high on human rights, with instructions that we don't care what shape he's in when you send him back, but we want to know who else he may have murdered. When you are convinced you have the answers, send him back, and we'll deal with him with all the protections the american judicial system calls for.

RITBlake
01-09-2008, 19:36

where's a good book depository when you need one?

AT-HITMAN2005
01-09-2008, 19:38
it surely is a conundrum. let him rot in prison forever or just put him out of his misery.

as i've gotten older i've started to lean towards convicting them and dropping them in the deepest darkest hole they can find and let them think about what they've done. maybe by having a picture of the girl on his wall or something to remind him of what he did. but then hes a burden on us tax-payers until he dies of natural causes. but i'm still in favor of the death penalty so let him fry. just wish they would do it quicker to cost us less money.

RITBlake
01-09-2008, 19:43
but i'm still in favor of the death penalty so let him fry. just wish they would do it quicker to cost us less money.

They don't fry anymore in Georgia I don't think. I think they are strictly L.I. but I could be wrong.

L.I. or frying is too easy an end for this monster.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-09-2008, 19:45
i was more refering to letting him die not the method of how it happens. hanging him from his ears until dead would be too good for him.

Jim Adams
01-09-2008, 19:47
Well if that's how you feel, Kirby, then you're not really opposed to the death penalty at all.

You feel the way the vast majority of American do: There are some people who commit deeds so terrible that they deserve to die. As you said, he has forfeited his right to live.

Your supporting, in certain cases, the penalty of death doesn't make you a bad person, Kirby.

It makes you a realist.

The fact of the matter, is that at the end of the day, the vast majority of people feel exactly the way you do about Mr. Hilton.

Take this guy out and hang him, ASAP.

Jack is right.
It doesn't matter whether you are for or against the death penalty, some crimes just make you so pissed that you want the retalliation.
I lived in Florida during the Ted Bundy thing and the local McDonalds advertised " free fries when Ted frys" ...it was a far less politically correct time!:D

geek

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2008, 19:48
You are correct. They use lethal injection, tho not often enough.

take-a-knee
01-09-2008, 19:54

Hilton's atrocity was the quintessential case of murder, that is, an innocent life taken violently without provocation. If he is sentenced to die by the state, it will be after being tried and convicted by what is arguably the most equitable justice system on the planet. That is, by no stretch of the imagination, murder. To say that it is implies a lack of understanding of our system of jurisprudence and the meaning of the word itself.

You can call it inhumane but it isn't murder.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-09-2008, 19:58
you forfeit your right to live when you take someone's life. wether you are terminated immediately or stuffed in a deep dark hole.

Jim Adams
01-09-2008, 19:59
Hilton's atrocity was the quintessential case of murder, that is, an innocent life taken violently without provocation. If he is sentenced to die by the state, it will be after being tried and convicted by what is arguably the most equitable justice system on the planet. That is, by no stretch of the imagination, murder. To say that it is implies a lack of understanding of our system of jurisprudence and the meaning of the word itself.

You can call it inhumane but it isn't murder.

hear, hear!

geek

Darwin again
01-09-2008, 20:11
The lawyers can game this guy all they want as far as I'm concerned. Screw him or his expectations or the expectations of criminals like him. He's so scared of dying that he thought he can force a deal and have it stick? heh. This is just the first of the mind-benders that await our Mr. Hilton.

For the rest of his life, this POS is going to enjoy hot food, a warm place to sleep, clothes, medical care and no-cost access to various other luxuries he never had while he was living in his van. From his perspective, he probably believes he's stepped up in the world, got it made. Only problem is...

Prison populations, heinous as they are, don't like his kind, odd as that sounds. There's a perverse honor code even among criminals, a kind of law of the jungle. His time on Earth is limited.

My dad was a prison guard for 20 years, the last 10 of which were in a SHU (special housing unit) in a state prison system. (Not a job I could do, for sure.) Hilton and his type ARE exactly WHY PRISONS ARE NECESSARY. These are just dark, souless people, incorrigibly bad persons who are fundamentally broken humans. They're not animals, because they have human brains and are therefore even more dangerous than animals.

It's taken me a while to have the guts to admit that truth, what with my lib'urrul edumacation and all. :rolleyes: Some people simply lose their place in the human family once they cross a certain line -- this guy crossed that line and he's done. I put him in the same category as the 9.11 perpetrators -- souless, selfish monsters who need to be exterminated with extreme prejudice and with minimal expenditure of conscience.

I'm opposed to the death penalty in ambiguous cases or where an error is possible -- life in prison is harsh enough. But this? No mistake here.
Thumbs down: Take him out as a matter of public safety. Plenty of lifers in prison that will do that, no problem.

How's that song by Iris Dement go?
"God may forgive you but I dont..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc7RcVqJ6Gk)
(Different context, same sentiment)

~Darwin

fishinfred
01-09-2008, 20:15
What the hell ...in cases as obvious as this one and as heineous the crime he should be castrated and bled out s l o w l y ......
and these other a**wipes on death row ... they wouldnt be there unless proven guilty RIGHT? ***k them .
These guys being found innocent now (due to DNA) were arrested long ago before DNA testing and CSI and when racism was rampant......well times have changed and its more positive when they are found guilty these days .
Little babies get vacination shots and scream & cry ...do you all think thats cruel.
I think lethal injection is just fine in fact it's pretty much the easy way out for them .....
Seriously!
POSs should get what they deserve when proven guilty these days :mad:

Montego
01-09-2008, 20:16
Having three hots and a cot, heat, light, and TV, especially to someone that was living out of his van or in the forest for an extended period of time, would be considered a luxary by Hinton IMO.

At 61 years of age, Hinton may have already felt that he didn't have all that long left to live especially condidering the way he was living. If history is his teacher, then he knows he will die of natural causes many years from now, for it will take years worth of trials and appeals before he even comes close to being executed for this crime. Meanwhile he gets the three hots and a cot, heat, light, TV and solitaire confinement (which he's already use to as a loner), plus his 15 minutes of fame, all at taxpayers expense. Who knows, he may even get to cop a deal on a book or movie rights.

Sometimes I think it's a shame that justice has to be so civilized. :mad:

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2008, 20:16
Good post, Darwin.

And incidentally, a few days ago, a regular poster mentioned on one of these threads that the death penalty was useless as a deterrent and had no effect on the crime rate. Well, if this is so, then why is it that prisoners will make any deal offered them, if they think it'll help them avoid the ultimate punishment?

The fact is, they do indeed fear the death penalty, and they'd fear it even more if it were applied more often, and more quickly, too.

If the death penalty is losing its threat to deter, it is because it is not applied enough, and that it takes decades for it to be admistered to those who've merited it.

Marta
01-09-2008, 20:29
Good post, Darwin.

And incidentally, a few days ago, a regular poster mentioned on one of these threads that the death penalty was useless as a deterrent and had no effect on the crime rate. Well, if this is so, then why is it that prisoners will make any deal offered them, if they think it'll help them avoid the ultimate punishment?

The fact is, they do indeed fear the death penalty, and they'd fear it even more if it were applied more often, and more quickly, too.

If the death penalty is losing its threat to deter, it is because it is not applied enough, and that it takes decades for it to be admistered to those who've merited it.

I don't want to go too far down the political argument road here, but I still contend that the death penalty doesn't deter anyone who is planning to commit a murder, especially not a twisted sicko who gets off on the suffering of other people. He thinks he's too smart to get caught, which he in fact was for far too long.

In spite of the supposed comforts of prison, I suspect GMH is not enjoying it nearly as much as people are supposing. If he really valued living indoors and having room service, he would have a normal job and live a normal life. The mean part of me is very much enjoying the fact that he's apparently fearful enough that he's wearing all those bullet-proof vests. Locked in a little room, surrounded by people who have all the power when he has almost none, being paraded around in front of people who want to kill him, being deprived of the "sport" that makes the earth move for him...

It's not enough revenge, but nothing we could ever do to him would be enough. So I will settle for keeping him away from opportunities to strike again.

soad
01-09-2008, 20:30
Prison populations, heinous as they are, don't like his kind, odd as that sounds. There's a perverse honor code even among criminals, a kind of law of the jungle. His time on Earth is limited.

this guy is going to get the Jeffery Dahmer treatment in the 'pokey'. I can't think of a more just punishment for the guy.
"I knew I'd get you in the end" BT

Darwin again
01-09-2008, 20:57
I can't help but think, he's been living free and easy outdoors and outside in the wild forest and gorgeous mountains for so long, he can't be liking being locked in a brick closet with bars on the door. In fact, such a situation could quickly and easily take a toll on his physical health. The stress you know.
Not that I care...

Kirby
01-09-2008, 20:58
I don't want to go too far down the political argument road here, but I still contend that the death penalty doesn't deter anyone who is planning to commit a murder, especially not a twisted sicko who gets off on the suffering of other people. He thinks he's too smart to get caught, which he in fact was for far too long.

In spite of the supposed comforts of prison, I suspect GMH is not enjoying it nearly as much as people are supposing. If he really valued living indoors and having room service, he would have a normal job and live a normal life. The mean part of me is very much enjoying the fact that he's apparently fearful enough that he's wearing all those bullet-proof vests. Locked in a little room, surrounded by people who have all the power when he has almost none, being paraded around in front of people who want to kill him, being deprived of the "sport" that makes the earth move for him...

It's not enough revenge, but nothing we could ever do to him would be enough. So I will settle for keeping him away from opportunities to strike again.

According to the death penalty information center, only 1% of police cheifs nation wide believe the death penalty is an effective crime fighting tool.

Kirby

OregonHiker
01-09-2008, 21:03
It makes you a realist.

Realist or Idealist?

Analogous to the "Not in my backyard" mentality?

Kirby
01-09-2008, 21:26
Realist or Idealist?

Analogous to the "Not in my backyard" mentality?

If we were an idealist society, no crimes would ever be committed, there for we would never have to question taking one's life in the name of justice.

Realists means you deal with what you are given and face reality, which is what we are faced with here.

OregonHiker
01-09-2008, 21:28
If we were an idealist society, no crimes would ever be committed, there for we would never have to question taking one's life in the name of justice.

Realists means you deal with what you are given and face reality, which is what we are faced with here.

My point was that some times ones proximity or connection to an event is proportional to ther emotional connection.

weary
01-09-2008, 22:56
Are you serious? We might like it if someone shot him, but anyone accused of such a crime will be protected from vigilantes in such a fashion.
Aside from the obvious, murder is murder, Law Enforcement also wants to know what he knows about similar crimes. Think of the relief of several families to know that the murders of their loved ones has been solved.

Weary

Darwin again
01-09-2008, 23:13
This just in:

ajc.com: (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/01/08/emerson_0109.html)

UPDATED: 9:33 p.m. January 09, 2008
Hilton 'prime suspect' in Fla. woman's death
Death penalty still an option in Emerson case, prosecutor says

By TIM EBERLY ([email protected])
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/08/08 Blairsville — Accused killer Gary Michael Hilton is facing the likelihood of prosecution on several fronts as authorities in Florida announced Wednesday they have linked him to the death of a Sunday School teacher there.
Hilton, in jail for allegedly kidnapping and killing Buford hiker Meredith Emerson last week, has emerged as the "prime suspect" in the slaying of Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, 46, of Crawfordville, Fla.

orangebug
01-09-2008, 23:16
Folks, does anyone on this list know anything about high security accomodations in Georgia? Luxuries? Pshaw!

Assume he is guilty as hell, and about to receive the full weight of justice upon his shoulders.

If this is a guy used to drifting on his own schedule, outdoors and unencumbered of others controlling him - he is going to be miserable. There will be a period of relative notoriety while we speculate about him prior to a judgement and sentencing. Then, he will disappear.

If the taxpayers of those little mountain counties can afford the several million dollars to deal with trial, conviction and appeals of a death sentence (remember that some would prefer millions toward education, water sanitation, trail maintenance or other luxury) he will return periodically to notoriety. He will not have the opportunity for any book or other media "deals". He won't be allowed any girlie pics in his cell. He will never see another tree except from a prison transport vehicle. His life expectancy has diminished regardless of his sentencing. He will have difficulties affording the co-payments for his healthcare - real difficulties.

We know very little about this man, and the folks who do ain't going to do a lot of talking about it for several months. Assuming he remains competent to stand trial, it will suck to be him. Assuming he enters the forensic arena, I can assure you that it will be no picnic in the woods for him.

Midway Sam
01-10-2008, 00:19
Let me preface this by saying I despise speculation and gossip so if I was not confident in my source then I would not have bothered with this post. Additionally I am going to be intentonally vague and give about 1% of what I was told so as not to jeopordize the investigation or "my source's" job.

This case ain't over yet folks. I talked to a LEO with a Dawson Co. area law enforcement agency who says that Meridith Emerson, the case in Florida, and the Bryants in NC are just the beginning of the cases this guy is being investigated for. The Dawson Co. Deputies have speculated for several years that they've had a serial killer working the area and they're gonna take a look at every similar case.

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 00:21
He will have difficulties affording the co-payments for his healthcare - real difficulties.
Um, the taxpayers will be picking up the bill from now on. Since when do prisoners have to pay anything for health care, much less worry about "co-payments"?

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 00:24
Flotsam, his 'health care' plan will be in the nature of enough packs of cigarettes to the Aryan Nation boss in the next cell to prevent a 'tragic disease' from affecting him.

TW

orangebug
01-10-2008, 00:25
For many years. It is considered reasonable to charge a modest co-payment for "sick call". Scheduled appointments for chronic conditions and emergencies aren't charged against their savings.

This relieves prisons of having folks show up at sick-call for malingering or other wasteful reasons.

Rosco
01-10-2008, 00:27
The leading cause of death on "Death Row" is:
("drum roll")
Natural causes.

He is way more likely to die of "other causes" than to exhaust every appeal ( Lawyers at our (my) / (tax payer's expense ) and finally be put to death by the state.
Think about it.
This guy put no value on a human life, why would you think he values HIS miserable, worthless life?
Death is inevitable, it should be something he looks forward to to end his miserable existence, not a reward or escape from his actions.
Lock his a$$ up and hope he hates, dreads and fears opening his eyes again.
As much as I hate the amount of my money the politicians spend on prisons, I feel keeping this guy alive for a long, miserable time is $$ well spent. Easy quick death is too good for him. make it last.
Folks beleiving in Punishment continuing after death get a bonus.

Rosco

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 00:30
Roscoe, it's those of us who believe that Grace begins after all deaths who get the bonus.

But we agree otherwise.

TW

TIDE-HSV
01-10-2008, 00:34
held in isolation for years seem to agree that death would be preferable - until that day comes...

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:34
all this POS has do do is accept jesus then he'll be forgiven and be in heaven teeing off every moning at 8 :rolleyes:

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 00:35
Flotsam, his 'health care' plan will be in the nature of enough packs of cigarettes to the Aryan Nation boss in the next cell to prevent a 'tragic disease' from affecting him.

TW
Enough with the tired old jokes about him being raped, etc in prison.

Of course he will be in prison for life. He deserves a lot worse. But enough with the juvenile "oooh I can't wait until he gets sent to the "pound him in the ass prison" stuff. Really.

Mourn Meredith, don't get dragged down to Hilton's level.

orangebug
01-10-2008, 00:39
Ding Ding Ding

Someone gets it!

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 00:39
For many years. It is considered reasonable to charge a modest co-payment for "sick call". Scheduled appointments for chronic conditions and emergencies aren't charged against their savings.

This relieves prisons of having folks show up at sick-call for malingering or other wasteful reasons.He's 61. Lived on the streets for years. Prob has tons of untreated chronic health problems. Some due to age, some from neglect.

Are you saying he won't get totally free care for these?

What about an inmate who is broke and sick with diabetes or cancer? Do they deny him care?

Thought not.

weary
01-10-2008, 00:43
.....Hilton and his type ARE exactly WHY PRISONS ARE NECESSARY. These are just dark, souless people, incorrigibly bad persons who are fundamentally broken humans. They're not animals, because they have human brains and are therefore even more dangerous than animals.

.....I'm opposed to the death penalty in ambiguous cases or where an error is possible -- life in prison is harsh enough. But this? No mistake here.
Thumbs down: Take him out as a matter of public safety. Plenty of lifers in prison that will do that, no problem.

How's that song by Iris Dement go?
"God may forgive you but I dont..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc7RcVqJ6Gk)
(Different context, same sentiment)

~Darwin
Now draft a law that guarantees the death of the bad criminal, but exempts ambiguous cases and cases where error is possible. It would require interesting verdicts. Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but don't execute in case we're wrong.

Texas has only rarely, if ever, found such a criminal in recent years. It kills routinely, more than any other state. Other states tend to dawdle. Maine hasn't killed anyone since hanging the wrong guy around a century ago.

Despite this, for some reason Maine has less than the usual quota of murders. Possibly because it refuses to kill people who kill others as a way of committing suicide.

Weary

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 00:43
Come on man, we don't need to go there. If that man does accept Jesus, then I believe it will show. Let's not cut up on others beliefs- whats up with the teeing off reply. There is a God, who allows each and every one of us the freedom to do what we want- right or wrong. We all do wrong-some would certainly seem to be way more wrong than others, but that is the reason that Jesus died- and lets not forget that he suffered of his own free will for each and every one of us. If you disagree,that is your right, but lets not make fun of others beliefs.

orangebug
01-10-2008, 00:45
Broke and sick has to wait for their appointments to come around.

We don't want infectious diseases running rampant. Chronic illnesses are chronic for a reason. Medications are limited to avoid misuse and diversion. Formularies are limited. It is not nearly as consumer based and convenient as you are supposed to enjoy as a law abiding citizen.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 00:47
The death penalty amounts to murder by the state.

All I see here is a bunch of cowards who want to take yet another life yet don't have the sack to do it themselves.

rafe
01-10-2008, 00:49
Mourn Meredith, don't get dragged down to Hilton's level.

Thank you.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:53

All I see here is a bunch of cowards who want to take yet another life yet don't have the sack to do it themselves.

so you want to spare his life

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 00:55
blah blah blah God, blah blah that Jesus blah blah blah
This is not the forum to spew religion and other delusions. Believe in whatever creature in the sky you want, but keep it to yourself. Your delusions/superstitions are irrelevant to this discussion.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 00:57
so you want to spare his life

Not particularly but I don't believe I have the authority to say he should die or put public pressure on anyone to do the same. I don't think anyone does. If you think he should die, you need to be the trigger man. It's easy to say someone should be executed when you don't have to do the dirty work.

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 00:57
Broke and sick has to wait for their appointments to come around.

We don't want infectious diseases running rampant. Chronic illnesses are chronic for a reason. Medications are limited to avoid misuse and diversion. Formularies are limited. It is not nearly as consumer based and convenient as you are supposed to enjoy as a law abiding citizen.
But still, it is free, yes?

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 00:58
I don't think that I was the first one to bring this up, I was simply responding to someone elses post!

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:00
This is not the forum to spew religion and other delusions. Believe in whatever creature in the sky you want, but keep it to yourself. Your delusions/superstitions are irrelevant to this discussion.

It isn't superstition, it's mythology:D

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 01:00
By the way this forum is under general, which has no category per say.

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 01:02
zoidfu2, call it what you will, but someday we will all see and know the truth, but like I said in my original post- why do you gotta go there?

orangebug
01-10-2008, 01:05
But still, it is free, yes?The only people with a Constitutionally protected right to health care are incarcerated felons.

However, that doesn't mean it is entirely free.

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 01:06
zoidfu2, call it what you will, but someday we will all see and know the truth, but like I said in my original post- why do you gotta go there?Whatever, stop shoving it down people's throats. This is about Merideth and the other victims, not about YOU. Stop yapping about your creature.

take-a-knee
01-10-2008, 01:07

Another intellectually vapid victim of modern public education weighs in...and tells us all that the centuries old system natural-law based western jurisprudence ia nothing more than a lynch mob...and calls a former PSD contractor a coward to boot. Damn your dumb!

Flotsam
The only people with a Constitutionally protected right to health care are incarcerated felons.

However, that doesn't mean it is entirely free.
True. I would not want to pay that price.

zoidfu
zoidfu2, call it what you will, but someday we will all see and know the truth, but like I said in my original post- why do you gotta go there?

I'll back off when religionists stop trying to tell us how to live.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:10
Another intellectually vapid victim of modern public education weighs in...and tells us all that the centuries old system natural-law based western jurisprudence ia nothing more than a lynch mob...and calls a former PSD contractor a coward to boot. Damn your dumb!

Do yourself a favor and google which countries have the death penalty and which ones don't. Take a good long look at who we're aligned with.

By the way, before you call someone dumb you should probably spell all the words in the insult correctly. It's "you're". Idiot. Talk about vapid....

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 01:10
How did I do that? So its ok for you to say how you feel, but forget my opinion?

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:11
How did I do that? So its ok for you to say how you feel, but forget my opinion?

My opinion doesn't involve fantasy and make believe. We may as well drop it because we aren't going to go anywhere with this argument.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:12
He's 61. Lived on the streets for years. Prob has tons of untreated chronic health problems. Some due to age, some from neglect.

Are you saying he won't get totally free care for these?

What about an inmate who is broke and sick with diabetes or cancer? Do they deny him care?

Thought not.

Yes, as a matter of fact, "they" do deny care. Most correctional systems are woefully understaff with medical and psychiatric personnel. Most of them don't obtain medications prescribed - when that happens - by their own staff for prisoners on a consistent basis. Diabetes is rampant, and it is common for prisoners to be denied insulin; cancer is frequently undiagnosed and equally frequently treated far less aggressively than the most minimal standards would permit. Guards often - sometimes for good reasons, other times for punitive ones - deny prisoners access to 'sick call' or prevent delivery of meds. This is one of the reasons why so many correctional systems are either under federal receiverships or headed that way.

Example:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/dropcap/b.gifrian Tetrault was 44 when he was led into a dim county jail cell in upstate New York in 2001, charged with taking some skis and other items from his ex-wife's home. A former nuclear scientist who had struggled with Parkinson's disease, he began to die almost immediately, and state investigators would later discover why: The jail's medical director had cut off all but a few of the 32 pills he needed each day to quell his tremors.
Over the next 10 days, Mr. Tetrault slid into a stupor, soaked in his own sweat and urine. But he never saw the jail doctor again, and the nurses dismissed him as a faker. After his heart finally stopped, investigators said, correction officers at the Schenectady jail doctored records to make it appear he had been released before he died..........

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/nyregion/27jail.html

Read the rest. It's very common. Yes, they deny prisoners health care, they do it on purpose, and it's not funny.

So when you all get all excited about torturing some guy, and wild and happy about 'death sentences' for Hilton, just remember Brian Tetrault. He got the death penalty for taking skis from his ex-wife.

TW

Flotsam
01-10-2008, 01:15
How did I do that? So its ok for you to say how you feel, but forget my opinion?You're not expressing opinion, you're proselytizing. We get it. You're a jesusbot. We know. Now please stop. You are disrespecting Meredith, her family and all the other victims by trying to make this discussion about you and your delusions, instead of about this tragedy.

orangebug
01-10-2008, 01:15
...tells us all that the centuries old system natural-law based western jurisprudence ia nothing more than a lynch mob...Natural law based western jurisprudence?

Pray tell, just what does that mean?

And why is the US one of the few Western Democracies still practicing capital punishment?

Killing people to follow a state's death sentence is still a killing. The killing has an effect on those who are engaged in managing inmates. The killing has an effect on the taxpayers who fund the appeals and the procedures. The killing has an effect on the culture. The killing doesn't have that much effect on a sociopath who has gotten skilled at serial killing.

I hate that in one year, we will all know this suspect's name, age and situation - while forgetting much about the victim/victims.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:19
Natural law based western jurisprudence?

Pray tell, just what does that mean?

And what is the US one of the few Western Democracies still practicing capital punishment?

Killing people to follow a state's death sentence is still a killing. The killing has an effect on those who are engaged in managing inmates. The killing has an effect on the taxpayers who fund the appeals and the procedures. The killing has an effect on the culture. The killing doesn't have that much effect on a sociopath who has gotten skilled at serial killing.

I hate that in one year, we will all know this suspect's name, age and situation - while forgetting much about the victim/victims.

Well said.

rafe
01-10-2008, 01:21
Worldwide executions in 2006:

China (at least 1,010 ...)
Iran (177)
Pakistan (82)
Iraq (at least 65)
Sudan (at least 65)
United States (53)Executions are known to have been carried out in the following 25 countries in 2006: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Botswana, China, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, North Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Uganda, the United States of America, Vietnam, Yemen.

Nice company we keep. :rolleyes:

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 01:22
I was not trying to do anything but respond to lw's statement when I originally posted- how come neither of you said anything to him- too scared? You know if this is just all about what you say it is all about.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:24
Flotsam, you're dead wrong and out of line. She has every bit as much right to give us thoughts of how her religion helps her look at this tragedy as you do to disagree. Until you buy this forum, you have no more right to tell her to stop than I have to tell you to. And they're just as relevant as she wants them to be. So until Rock, Troll or Dixi tell her to stop, she can say all she wants.

Me, I was touched. Agree with her? That's none of your business. But touched, deeply, yes.

TW

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:25
I was not trying to do anything but respond to lw's statement when I originally posted- how come neither of you said anything to him- too scared? You know if this is just all about what you say it is all about.

Pffffft.... You can't punch people over the computer. Why be afraid? Anyway, his sarcasm is dead on.

rafe
01-10-2008, 01:27
You're not expressing opinion, you're proselytizing. We get it. You're a jesusbot. We know. Now please stop. You are disrespecting Meredith, her family and all the other victims by trying to make this discussion about you and your delusions, instead of about this tragedy.

Yeah enough of this jezus and mercy stuff. let's talk about our thirst for yet-another killing, as painful as we can imagine it, to avenge Meredith's. Cuz that's somehow gonna make things all better. Sometimes folks on WB just make me sick.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:28
You're not expressing opinion, you're proselytizing. We get it. You're a jesusbot. We know. Now please stop. You are disrespecting Meredith, her family and all the other victims by trying to make this discussion about you and your delusions, instead of about this tragedy.

And what, pray tell, is a 'jesusbot'? Is that some kind of a new, and cute to you, religious slur? You don't like 'disrespecting Meredith' yet you want to insult someone's religious faith, and think that makes this discussion better?

Sorry, Flotsam, out of line a second time. Religious slurs don't belong in this forum...or on this site.

TW

rafe
01-10-2008, 01:29

Lone Wolf is a state-sanctioned troll.

ed bell
I was not trying to do anything but respond to lw's statement when I originally posted- how come neither of you said anything to him- too scared? You know if this is just all about what you say it is all about.Don't sweat it. Those personal attacks you've taken were pretty silly. Don't hold back your opinion, keep on the thread topic and you'll be fine.

Jaybird62
Again, there you go pushing your opinion-guess you need to just grow up a little and see things for how they really are

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 01:30
i'm done with this. let's never forget meredith. good nite all

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:32
Yeah enough of this jezus and mercy stuff. let's talk about our thirst for yet-another killing, as painful as we can imagine it, to avenge Meredith's. Cuz that's somehow gonna make things all better. Sometimes folks on WB just make me sick.

Well put, Terrapin: A prose poem about forgiveness, and seeing a perspective in this that provides some comfort is 'disrespecting' her, but nasty ways to torture Mr. Hilton are "good" and respectful of her and her families' feelsing? And, on top of that, if your a Christian - and say, or imply it - you're entitled to have your faith slammed?

No.

TW

Jaybird62
Yeah I'm sorry for getting off topic its just when I feel someone(troll or no troll), is making fun(disrespecting) what I believe, I can't keep my mouth shut.

zoidfu
And what, pray tell, is a 'jesusbot'? Is that some kind of a new, and cute to you, religious slur? You don't like 'disrespecting Meredith' yet you want to insult someone's religious faith, and think that makes this discussion better?

Sorry, Flotsam, out of line a second time. Religious slurs don't belong in this forum...or on this site.

TW

Can't disrespect religion yet we can all salivate over wanting someone to die? Gotta be a christian!!!

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:34
Can't disrespect religion yet we can all salivate over wanting someone to die? Gotta be a christian!!!

Not all of us salivate over anyone's death.

TW

Jaybird62
01-10-2008, 01:34
I am with you on that lone wolf. look man, I was'nt trying to force anything down anyones throat, I just felt I had to say what I originally posted.
Good night to you also.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:37
Not all of us salivate over anyone's death.

TW

Then stand up to these wannabe pseudo-murderers.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:38
Then stand up to these wannabe pseudo-murderers.

Read my posts, dear Zoid. And speak for yourself; no one will stop you.

TW

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:40
Read my posts, dear Zoid. And speak for yourself; no one will stop you.

TW

I apologize if I overlooked them.

take-a-knee
01-10-2008, 01:45
Do yourself a favor and google which countries have the death penalty and which ones don't. Take a good long look at who we're aligned with.

By the way, before you call someone dumb you should probably spell all the words in the insult correctly. It's "you're". Idiot. Talk about vapid....

"You're" an *******, go back to blogging for billary or hussein.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 01:47

Whatever you say, kid.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:55

I think you just proved Zoid's point about being an idiot. Thanks for helping out.

TW

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:56
I apologize if I overlooked them.

And thanks for being the first person in the history of WB (and, yes, of Planet Earth) to say that The Weasel hasn't spouted off enough.

Ah, me. I've waited so long for that. Dang. :banana

TW

Tennessee Viking
01-10-2008, 02:21
or they could let him loose on the trail and let us deal with him. Let him feel the terror he caused in other people's lives!
Tie him to a tree, slather him with honey and molassas, and let the bears have at him.

zoidfu
01-10-2008, 02:38
And thanks for being the first person in the history of WB (and, yes, of Planet Earth) to say that The Weasel hasn't spouted off enough.

Ah, me. I've waited so long for that. Dang. :banana

TW

No prob. I may end up taking that distinction from you, though:rolleyes: I end up apologizing to someone in just about every thread I post on. I don't have a trail name... maybe it could be The Apologizer.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 02:43
No prob. I may end up taking that distinction from you, though:rolleyes: I end up apologizing to someone in just about every thread I post on. I don't have a trail name... maybe it could be The Apologizer.

Your name will find you. Await it.

TW