PDA

View Full Version : Patagonia Micro Puff vs Mountain Hardware compressor

Dingus Khan
01-09-2008, 19:49
My expectations for a jacket are: to get me down to 10degree using a base layer (merino wool/poly combo), insulation layer (jacket) and if needed a shell (marmot precip). Any lower and I'll add a marmot driclime under the jacket, but it doesn't seem to happen often anymore... (global warming?)

Any advice as to which is a WARMER jacket? Both are listed at the 160$ range, Pata. uses Climashield, MH uses Primaloft etc. I have tried both on and really like the fit of the MH but can't stand it's paper-like crinkly feeling. I have been keeping up with the latest forums, seems to be a fairly common question (1lb jacket-ish).

Any other comparable suggestions? The REI Spruce Run jacket is on sale now, still 100$ mind you...

I think I have decided against down for wetness reasons - I think I would rather not have to baby something I will be depending on for warmth and the minimal difference in weight and bulk is worth the $ difference, --
Although - I tried on the REI Antifreeze jacket and loved it - 700 fill down and a huge amount of loft. Only 100$! Just too much jacket for me... shrug.

any advice/rants/suggestions are much appreciated!!

turtle fast
01-10-2008, 00:57
Try on the Spruce Run jacket at REI if one is near you...it is primaloft and feels like you are wearing your sleeping bag...very cozy and yet not bulky so you don't like like the Michelan tire man. BEST of all it has zip off sleves so you can use it as a vest too....gives you alot more options in various weather scenarios thus MORE versitile...plus the cost isnt too shabby at $100 either for a primaloft jacket. I just bought one for my own thru hike to wear under my Marmot precip jacket too. Will use the jacket as a pillow too!

GSCOTT
01-10-2008, 01:17
i just bought the MH comp jacket the other day. i really like it alot.

from what i have seen just wearing it around the house(outside) it is very warm. it seems to compress down very well to.
i got mine on sale at a local shop for 118.

however, i dont think you would want to wear this jacket unless you are sitting in camp. imo it does not seem very rugged.

i have no experience with the other jacket.

take-a-knee
01-10-2008, 01:51
Try on the Spruce Run jacket at REI if one is near you...it is primaloft and feels like you are wearing your sleeping bag...very cozy and yet not bulky so you don't like like the Michelan tire man. BEST of all it has zip off sleves so you can use it as a vest too....gives you alot more options in various weather scenarios thus MORE versitile...plus the cost isnt too shabby at $100 either for a primaloft jacket. I just bought one for my own thru hike to wear under my Marmot precip jacket too. Will use the jacket as a pillow too!

A jacket that sized makes a dandy pillow inside one of those Cascade Designs microfleece pillow pockets.

SlowLightTrek
01-13-2008, 17:55
I would get the Patagonia. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about anything Patagonia. Very durable stuff.

Strategic
01-13-2008, 18:27
I've gone for something much lighter than any of the commercial jackets, both for light three-season wear (replacing a 200wt fleece) and for colder weather (replacing an insulated jacket like a Micropuff. Basically the lighter one is a modified version of the Kinsman Pullover from Thru-Hiker, while the heavier one is a straight Maxima Jacket from the same place.

Their only real drawback for most people is that they're DIY and a bit advanced. However, if you can sew you can get a insulated jacket as warm as the Micropuff (or warmer) for about 12 to 14oz (Momentum shell and liner with 2.5oz Climashield XP or slightly heavier with Climashield Combat.) My light insulating layer comes to only 7.5oz with Momentum and 1.8oz Primaloft One, and both of these jackets are sized large and relaxed fit. If you're going to wear a wind/water shell anyway, it just doesn't seem to make sense wasting weight on heavy shells for an insulating layer and this eliminates that.

Dingus Khan
01-13-2008, 20:18
how advanced would you consider these?
i have made tarps, hammocks, bags and other general "straight line" items...

I have considered this option, I am just scared to screw it up...

Do the kits come with patterns and instructions?

Mrs Baggins
01-13-2008, 20:35
I would get the Patagonia. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about anything Patagonia. Very durable stuff.

Yeah. I can something bad about Patagonia. I paid about $40/piece for Patagonia capilene base layers believing price bought warmth. Wrong. I was never warm in them on the AT in March 2007. I should have stuck with my old $7/piece Target brand polypros. Always warm, wicked away moisture, and I was always comfy in them. I have zero good to say about the pricey Patagonia stuff and won't use it again. :mad:

maxNcathy
01-13-2008, 20:36
With a quality 20F sleeping bag and a 9 ounces Patagonia down sweater you will meet your goal for warmth with minimum of bulk and weight.

take-a-knee
01-13-2008, 23:21
I've gone for something much lighter than any of the commercial jackets, both for light three-season wear (replacing a 200wt fleece) and for colder weather (replacing an insulated jacket like a Micropuff. Basically the lighter one is a modified version of the Kinsman Pullover from Thru-Hiker, while the heavier one is a straight Maxima Jacket from the same place.

Their only real drawback for most people is that they're DIY and a bit advanced. However, if you can sew you can get a insulated jacket as warm as the Micropuff (or warmer) for about 12 to 14oz (Momentum shell and liner with 2.5oz Climashield XP or slightly heavier with Climashield Combat.) My light insulating layer comes to only 7.5oz with Momentum and 1.8oz Primaloft One, and both of these jackets are sized large and relaxed fit. If you're going to wear a wind/water shell anyway, it just doesn't seem to make sense wasting weight on heavy shells for an insulating layer and this eliminates that.

I'm gonna make a thru hiker vest for myself and my daughter.

Dogwood
01-14-2008, 03:35
I go with two light wt. baselayers (EMS Bergalene, Patagonia Light wt. Capilene, Smartwool Lite wt. or something equivalent) and a U.L. Montbell Thermawrap jacket(about $140, 10 oz. in XL, synthetic with a decent DWR) and I'm good to go at 10 deg. Add a Marmot PreCip rain jacket as a shell in a heavy cold rain or lite snow or to increase warmth. In 20 deg temps I'll often start my day with my two baselayers, a U.L. Montbell Thermawrap vest(about $100, 6 oz. in XL), and my Marmot Pre Cip. After I get warmed up sometimes I'll take off the vest or jacket and just hike in the baselayers and Marmot PreCip or baselayers and vest. All depends on the weather. Of course I protect my extremities - gloves, Smartwool or Patagonia beanie, and Smartwool socks.

Dogwood
01-14-2008, 03:44
I'm currently trying to replace my PreCip with a more breathable lighter wt jacket with similar water shedding qualities. Any ideas?

Dingus Khan
01-14-2008, 07:05
thanks, i have been eyeing the montbell UL down liner and thermawrap, haven't bought one yet since i would like to try a montbell product on first, fit is important to me when shelling out 100$
i too use a base layer (walmart has a great poly/merino base for 15 bucks, really warm and wicks better than their polypro! - warmer than a midweight cap. from patagonia IMO, though i haven't tried the 100% merino bases like smartwool yet :)
I also have a very thin merino wool sweater (my own special banana republic/salvation army combo) and a 100 wgt fleece top. Cheap down vest (550 fill - salv. army again) and a precip jacket. these get me down to 10 degrees easy.
the sweater and fleece each compress smaller than the micropuff or compressor and offer a lot of options.
i want to get something else to reduce clutter and bulk though, a 5 layer top is a bit much...

Dingus Khan
01-14-2008, 07:08
hey - just had a question in regards to a comment made in the "sell" forum.

someone was giving away a '06 thermawrap since "synthetics only last for 2-3 seasons" and the loft was fading...

is that true? spend 150$ on a top quality synthetic to have it go limp in 2 seasons?

what are your experiences with the longevity of synthetics?

Strategic
01-14-2008, 07:46
how advanced would you consider these?
i have made tarps, hammocks, bags and other general "straight line" items...

I have considered this option, I am just scared to screw it up...

Do the kits come with patterns and instructions?

They do have patterns and instructions, and pretty extensive ones (though all online.) I'd say if you've done those kinds of projects you have the skill necessary, so go for it. The curved seams around the arm holes aren't really any harder than running a long straight seam in silnylon, and that's the hardest bit. It would be great if we could see ready-to-wear gear in these kind of weights, but for now it's DIY or carry the extra ounces.

Strategic
01-14-2008, 07:53

someone was giving away a '06 thermawrap since "synthetics only last for 2-3 seasons" and the loft was fading...

is that true? spend 150$ on a top quality synthetic to have it go limp in 2 seasons?

If he's having loss of loft that soon then he's handling it wrong. My older jacket is going on three now and is just fine. I have an old Bean parka (my work coat for cold weather) with old-fashioned Polarguard in it and that's still lofted and going strong after ten years.

FanaticFringer
01-14-2008, 09:57

PM Peter Pan over at hammock forums and ask him about his UL Thermawrap. He's very happy with his.

FanaticFringer
01-14-2008, 10:00
Great price on a 2005 model thermawrap
www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/MTB525

Dingus Khan
01-16-2008, 11:09
thanks for the info guys,

FF - it only comes in a "extra small"

fat man in a little coat.... :)

Critterman
01-16-2008, 14:59
thanks for the info guys,

FF - it only comes in a "extra small"

fat man in a little coat.... :)

They had them in about every size at 9:30 that morning and when I went to buy one at noon, only the extra small was left. I am still kicking myself.

scavenger
01-16-2008, 15:48
I love my micropuff and the fact that they made it with recycled materials helped me decide on it over the competition...

karo
01-16-2008, 15:55
I like my Micropuff, perfect for hiking, I just wish it had some pockets, but then again it would be heavier. Never tried the MH, but I have some of their gear and it rocks.