PDA

View Full Version : Tri-state challenge?

wrongway_08
01-09-2008, 20:30
A guy at work ask me about this today, anyone have info on it?

- I spoke to you today at work about info on the Appalachian Trail Hike Challange that goes through Va, Md, and Pa in one weekend. If you are able to find this info I would apprechate it.

Thanks

satchmo
01-09-2008, 20:36
You have to get through all 3 in one weekend Hiking? Impossible.

doggiebag
01-09-2008, 20:41
It's actually crossing 4 statelines I believe. VA line through WV through MD and ending at PenMar something under 60 miles.

wrongway_08
01-09-2008, 20:43
60 miles would be doable, I guess he is looking for a start point and end point. Thanks

Jack Tarlin
It's the four state challenge: One starts on the WV/VA line, and finishes on the MD/PA line, i.e. around 40 miles in one day.

It is usually done by testosterone-laden young hikers, who then brag about it afterward in hopes of impressing peopl; always neglecting to mention the day or two they had to take off afterwards, in order to recover from their "challenge."

Most hikers find this exercise to be pretty foolish.

Kirby
VA/WVA line to Penn/MAR line. According to L. Wolf, it is around 51 miles, and the challenge is to do it in one day.

Kirby

Kirby
01-09-2008, 20:44
It's the four state challenge: One starts on the WV/VA line, and finishes on the MD/PA line, i.e. around 40 miles in one day.

It is usually done by testosterone-laden young hikers, who then brag about it afterward in hopes of impressing peopl; always neglecting to mention the day or two they had to take off afterwards, in order to recover from their "challenge."

I posted after I saw this.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 20:46
VA/WVA line to Penn/MAR line. According to L. Wolf, it is around 51 miles, and the challenge is to do it in one day.

Kirby

actually there are 2 VA/WVA lines. Keys gap and Loudon Heights. the 4 state starts at Loudon, about 42 miles or so

satchmo
01-09-2008, 20:50

Kirby

LOL I thought he meant the whole states.

wrongway_08
01-09-2008, 20:52
ouch, thats a little different! One day.....40 miles maybe, but 51 is pushing it.
Fr

Kirby
01-09-2008, 20:55
actually there are 2 VA/WVA lines. Keys gap and Loudon Heights. the 4 state starts at Loudon, about 42 miles or so

Oh, ok. In a previous thread we must have been getting these two borders mixed up.

I have stumbled over myself a couple times in this thread:o.

Kirby

angewrite
01-09-2008, 21:04
I hiked from Harper's Ferry to PennMar park last year (just shy of the 4 state challenge but still 40 miles) and it was probably the dumbest (well one of the dumbest) things I did on the trail. I had to zero the next day followed by a nero because my feet hurt so bad and I was exhausted. Enjoy MD and hike it in 2!

-Bobcat

doggiebag
01-09-2008, 21:08
ouch, thats a little different! One day.....40 miles maybe, but 51 is pushing it.
Fr
You need to be suffering from some serious testosterone poisoning to try that. But hey it's a free country - and you're young. Now if there's some valuable gifts and prices ... that's another story.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 21:09
40 miles in that section after starting in georgia is no big deal

The Old Fhart
01-09-2008, 21:27
I posted the answer to this 2 days ago in the thread on A.T. Traditions for those who haven't been paying attention.;)

The 4 states are VA, WV, MD, and PA. As Lone Wolf said, you have to start in VA which is 2.4 miles south of Harpers Ferry on the A.T. at Loudoun Heights. On Loudoun Heights the trail follows the border for about 15 miles but you step into VA at Loudoun Heights. From HF thru MD to the PA border is 40.5 miles, 0.2 mile beyond Pen-Mar. (2004 mileage) making the 4 state challenge 42.9 miles if my math is correct.

wrongway_08
01-09-2008, 21:29
I hiked from Harper's Ferry to PennMar park last year (just shy of the 4 state challenge but still 40 miles) and it was probably the dumbest (well one of the dumbest) things I did on the trail. I had to zero the next day followed by a nero because my feet hurt so bad and I was exhausted. Enjoy MD and hike it in 2!

-Bobcat

This is not my brainstorm, :) , ts a few guys from our training unit that just want to have some bragn rights amoungst each other.

Just tryn to help them out so they do it legit - by the books - all that stuff.
:D

Ghost93
01-12-2008, 18:50
The trail in MD isn't really that bad. I can only think of one place that comes close to a 1000' climb (weaverton cliffs, and It isn't that bad.). Its doable to the condition hiker. As a side note, over the Labor day weekend in '07 my friend and I meet to guys hiking from the PA/MD state line to Boiling Springs in a day (about 60 mi). Although they said that they were trainning for a ultra-marathon somewhere, I kinda think it was the Hardrock 100, but I could be wrong.

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 18:56
It sounds like if you push yourself to do the 40 whatever mile challenge, you are missing some nice hiking. The "challenge" is like many of the AT "traditions"...silly.

88BlueGT
01-14-2008, 01:51
From what I understood the "four state challenge" is 42 miles long and its to be done in one day. IMO, Its pretty dumb. For starters, its going to take a while which means you are starting at night and most likely finishing at night. Not only are you missing scenery but like already posted, your going to be super exhausted after it and your going to need days off anyway. I just dont see the point in it. Maybe for a nice ego trip but thats about it.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 06:43
It sounds like if you push yourself to do the 40 whatever mile challenge, you are missing some nice hiking. The "challenge" is like many of the AT "traditions"...silly.

there's plenty of nice hiking to be had on a thru-hike. the "challenge" breaks up the monotany. lotsa fun.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 07:31
there's plenty of nice hiking to be had on a thru-hike. the "challenge" breaks up the monotany. lotsa fun.

Cool. Where do you draw the line between being a sheeple and being yourself? Seems like many people are having lotsa fun being sheeple with all the AT "traditions". I know, sheeple are people and are only wrong half the time or whatever. Never mind. :cool:

p.s. I am not a sheeple people or an anti-sheeple people, I am just people. :)

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 07:33
the so-called 4 state challenge is not a tradition. very few try it. eating a half gallon of ice cream is a tradition. most do it. i bet you did

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 07:37
No half gallon here, but then I have never thru-hiked and don't plan to. That makes two traditions that don't interest me.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 07:38
what's the other?

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 07:53
Thru-hiking

jmcdonou
01-14-2008, 18:01
Sweet Tea and I did the challenge on our Southbound thru last year. We woke up at 330AM on the PA/MD border and got to Harpers Ferry around 645PM.

I wanted to get to town to watch FSU play. The only bar in town with ESPN shut down during the 3rd quarter because all the locals were at a kegger and the bartenders wanted to go.

Wont be doing any 40 mile days anymore but it was fun to see what your body can put up with. I'm glad I know I can do it if an emergency situation comes up

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 18:07
Sweet Tea and I did the challenge on our Southbound thru last year. We woke up at 330AM on the PA/MD border and got to Harpers Ferry around 645PM.

I wanted to get to town to watch FSU play. The only bar in town with ESPN shut down during the 3rd quarter because all the locals were at a kegger and the bartenders wanted to go.

Wont be doing any 40 mile days anymore but it was fun to see what your body can put up with. I'm glad I know I can do it if an emergency situation comes up

Nice job. Bummer that you got booted before the game was over. Um, what kind of emergency would you need to walk 40 miles in a day? Wouldn't it be quicker to hit the nearest road?

jmcdonou
01-14-2008, 18:10
Plane crash in Alaska? I dont know I hope it never happens

Freeleo
01-14-2008, 18:11
if you want a 81 mile tri state challenge jsut come hike I 275 thru Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky..not as many hills though but you will have some real tough river crossings

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 18:15
Plane crash in Alaska? I dont know I hope it never happens

If you survive a plane crash in Alaska, you might have a better chance of being found alive if you stick with the plane. Hope it never happens too.

jersey joe
01-14-2008, 18:16

Lots of non-hikers find us thru hikers foolish too, but what do they know. I gotta agree with wolf on this one. The challenges along the way only added to my thru hike. If I had known about the Tri-State challenge at the time, I likely would have tried it. I just don't understand why some hikers feel the need to call hikers who cover more miles than them foolish.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 18:17
I just don't understand why some hikers feel the need to call hikers who cover more miles than them foolish.

jealousy

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 18:20
Lots of non-hikers find us thru hikers foolish too, but what do they know. I gotta agree with wolf on this one. The challenges along the way only added to my thru hike. If I had known about the Tri-State challenge at the time, I likely would have tried it. I just don't understand why some hikers feel the need to call hikers who cover more miles than them foolish.

Perhaps if you listen to your body, don't hurt yourself and don't make an arse of yourself thumping your chest afterwards, it wouldn't be considered overly foolish.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 18:23
Perhaps if you listen to your body, don't hurt yourself and don't make an arse of yourself thumping your chest afterwards, it wouldn't be considered overly foolish.

i've never seen anyone do that, have you? i doubt it.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 18:25
i've never seen anyone do that, have you? i doubt it.

You saying if one couldn't thump their chest, there would be no point?

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 18:29
how'd you interpret that from my post? what i mean mr. lack-of-comprehension, is i've met plenty of hikers that did big miles that did not brag or thump thier chests

jersey joe
01-14-2008, 18:30
You saying if one couldn't thump their chest, there would be no point?

I've never heard anyone brag about doing the 3 state challenge. If anything, challenges like these are beneficial for personal growth...help us see what we can do/achieve if we set our minds to it. That's the point.

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 18:33
Google "stress fracture" or "metatarsal stress fracture".

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 18:34
puss :rolleyes:

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 18:36
how'd you interpret that from my post? what i mean mr. lack-of-comprehension, is i've met plenty of hikers that did big miles that did not brag or thump thier chests

Ah, thanks for the enlightment and my apologies to the ones who took on the challenge. :o

jersey joe
01-14-2008, 18:37
Google "stress fracture" or "metatarsal stress fracture".
OK...
Definition: A metatarsal stress fracture is a common cause of foot pain, especially when people suddenly increase their activities..."
By the time a hiker gets to West Virgina, they are at no risk of SUDDENLY increasing their activity.

rafe
01-14-2008, 18:40
By the time a hiker gets to West Virgina, they are at no risk of SUDDENLY increasing their activity.

Hmm. Going from a routine 15-20 miles per day to a 40+ mile day sounds pretty sudden to me. :-?

jersey joe
01-14-2008, 18:47
Hmm. Going from a routine 15-20 miles per day to a 40+ mile day sounds pretty sudden to me. :-?
My point was that you are already very active.
And If you're scared of stress fractures why even bother with a thru hike, stay home on your couch, its safer.

Venture
01-14-2008, 19:06

Certainly sounds like it could be "fun" for the "challenge" of it!:) If it is real hot, hiking at night would not be a bad choice!

rafe
01-14-2008, 19:11
My point was that you are already very active.
And If you're scared of stress fractures why even bother with a thru hike, stay home on your couch, its safer.

Well, it really is a matter of degree. I manage to stay injury-free mostly by knowing and respecting my limits. ;) 15-20 mile days are within reason for this old phart. 40 mile days are not.

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 19:21

Yes, and it is exactly something like that that causes stress fractures, and they can take you off the trail for a couple of months. I guess it just depends on what's important to you.

In 2006 I was in Dot's in Damascus having dinner when several hikers came in bragging about their 50 mile hike to get there.

The next day one of them was on crutches. Stress fracture.

warren doyle
01-14-2008, 19:36
The 43.7 mile four-state challenge is an interesting way to spend one day in the life of an individual who is looking for this type of experience. I did this challenge southbound (it was about a mile shorter at the that time) with my 11 y.o son once in the mid-90's. I always remember the dawn at Warner Hollow and the dusk at Weverton Cliffs. A special memory indeed.

jersey joe
01-14-2008, 19:38
Well, it really is a matter of degree. I manage to stay injury-free mostly by knowing and respecting my limits. ;) 15-20 mile days are within reason for this old phart. 40 mile days are not.

I have no problem with someone realizing their limits. That is just smart. But for many hikers a 40 mile day is very doable. And if a hiker is willing and able, they shouldn't be discouraged.

rafe
01-14-2008, 19:43
I have no problem with someone realizing their limits. That is just smart. But for many hikers a 40 mile day is very doable. And if a hiker is willing and able, they shouldn't be discouraged.

No should they be encouraged to do silly things. Peer pressure does that, sometimes. Like Tater, I've seen healthy, fit hikers pay dearly for their moments of bravado.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 19:45
HYOH! YMMV! and any other cutsie term you can come up with :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 19:46
No should they be encouraged to do silly things. Peer pressure does that, sometimes. Like Tater, I've seen healthy, fit hikers pay dearly for their moments of bravado.

you prissy libs are so caring

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 19:48
Glad to see no chest thumping is involved.

CrumbSnatcher
01-14-2008, 20:08
tri-state challenge,easy. try the 47miler into harpers ferry over the rollercoaster

GGS2
01-14-2008, 21:15
you prissy libs are so caring

Well, see, Wolf, some of us prissy libs have had bad experiences that caused us to be a bit more cautious. I haven't done any bones, but my Achilles tendons will never be the same again. That came from a change in physical activity (football) about 45 years ago. Been bothering me ever since, off and on. I wouldn't discourage a fit, seasoned hiker from doing something like that, but I would caution someone who just decided to get active from overdoing it, even after half the AT. Just not worth it. I remember reading of experienced marathoners who got knocked off the road permanently by Achilles tendon problems, and even a simple stress fracture can spoil a hike. The opportunity to hike the AT is a rare one for most people. Shame to spoil it.

jersey joe
01-14-2008, 21:38

Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean it is.
Nothing wrong with warning hikers about the risks of big miles, but in the end they only risk injuring themselves. If someone wants to try the tri state challenge and concludes that the risk is low then sure, i'll encourage them to challenge themselves.

rafe
01-14-2008, 21:52
Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean it is.

Of course not. But then, it's not just me that thinks this way, either. ;)

Ain't no right or wrong here. We're just expression opinions, after all. Every hiker's got to look out for themselves.

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 21:57
I have come to the conclusion that this is a "natural selection" issue, like carrying maps and fording certain creeks.

As long as the dangers are pointed out so that someone can make an informed decision about what they want to do, people who want to do it should be encouraged to go ahead and do it.

Let nature take its course.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 22:00
I have come to the conclusion that this is a "natural selection" issue, like carrying maps and fording certain creeks.

As long as the dangers are pointed out so that someone can make an informed decision about what they want to do, people who want to do it should be encouraged to go ahead and do it.

Let nature take its course.

MYOB. isn't that what you say?

wrongway_08
01-31-2008, 19:34
Getting the details together for parking areas for him. I have the finish point covered - MD/PA line.

Looking for a place to park his car at the start point - WV/VA - Loudon Heights. Anyone know where he can park the vehicles? From my AT maps, it does not look like there is a close spot in this area to park.

bmac
09-02-2008, 10:35
I thought I read in another post somewhere that you can park in the National Park in Harpers Ferry for a few dollars, not sure how far that is from the trail though.

On a similar note, an old friend I are going to attempt the tri/quad state challenge, however I think I am going to perform more of a hybrid, thus negating the "challenge". Instead of doing the entire section in one day, I think I might do most of the hiking on Saturday (maybe 25-30 miles), then finish the rest on Sunday morning. This way I can finish the entire Maryland section in a weekend, but don't have to forgo seeing some of the sights or getting some rest. I have hiked the Maryland section in the past, but never continuously (always I-70 to HF or I-70 to Pen Mar). I'm looking forward to completing a continuous Maryland section hike. We'll be out there Oct 4/5 so if you see us, say hello.

sasquatch2014
09-02-2008, 12:48
Its not too far you just have to be aware that the lot is locked at certian times and so if this does not meet your time schedule then it may not be the best fit. There is the Hostel just off the C&O and for a small fee you can leave a car there. This is also closer to the trail than the park service lot.

dessertrat
09-02-2008, 13:39
If you are going to do it in one day, you can do it with just a daypack or a fanny pack, or even just a water bottle and some big pockets for snacks.

Sounds like more of a challenge if you are in full backpacking regalia, and like a really long walk if you are on a dayhike. 3 mph times 14 hours should get you there.

rubyvermonter
09-03-2008, 12:21
I section-hiked through that section a few weeks ago. I hiked almost 25 miles of Maryland in one day (my biggest mileage day, but very do-able)and read in the logs in the various shelters about thru-hikers who were doing the four state challenge. From what I read, some were starting well before dawn and/or hiking into the night and they were all quite enthusiastic about it.

Rubyvermonter

dmb658
09-05-2008, 16:27
i did the 4 state challenge this year in the end of may in the middle of my thru. when i did it, you started 2 miles south of HF where VA goes east and the trail heads off the ridge into WV and it will end just after penmar park (name/spelling?) so for me it ended up being 44 miles and it took me 17 hours with breaks. 3:50am - 8:50pm

dmb658
09-05-2008, 16:28
btw i had my full pack and 2 days worth of food too

Magic Man
09-05-2008, 18:00
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24399

The hikers in this photo successfully did the challenge not only with full packs,
but they were also in costume
(on TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY last year)

jtabbsvt
05-11-2009, 09:40
Glad this thread was here, otherwise I wouldn't have known what a testosterone-laden egomaniac I am. :) Some friends and I just hiked Pen Mar to Loudon Heights a few Saturdays ago, and it was an awesome experience. We're not thru-hikers, just decided to do this for a challenge. From starlit meadows in the dead of night to Black Rock Cliffs at dawn, to the exhileration of taking that last step at sunset, it was a great experience and totally different from previous trips through this area at a less aggressive pace. True, it was exhausting, and blisters were almost a certainty for our unhardened soles, but sometimes doing something stupidly ambitious is a good thing!

JAK
05-11-2009, 10:10
My testerone level might be getting a little low lately but I'm still kind of up for a challenge like this now and then. Spring helps. Yeah it takes alot longer to recover as you get older, and its probably a good idea to get a little training in ahead of time. Ah well. Nice thing about getting older though is you can see the edge a little more clearly, and maybe push it a little farther. At this point in my life it's not like I would be throwing away a shot at the Olympics. lol. Seriously though, its important not to hurt yourself because hiking is something you want to do all your life, and is something you should be able to do well into retirement, God willing. Everything in moderation though, including moderation. ;)

The Fundy Footpath and Dobson Trail combined would be a pretty big challenge for a long weekend. Combined distance including connector trails through Fundy National Park might be 120km total. It would be a very tough grind. Several people have run one or the other in a single day, but I am not sure if any have done both in a single weekend.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nb/fundy/images/Park-Map-Web-Eng04-print.gif

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-11-2009, 13:21
Sounds like another challenge to add to my to do list

puddingboy
05-12-2009, 21:15
Im doing this this summer just not in one weekend, were planning on 4 days.

CowHead
05-13-2009, 07:08
Trail runners do the thing in a day, I like to do it in 3 days, there is a race each year (Catoctin 50K Trail Run) so your'll see alot of runners in them hills

CowHead
05-13-2009, 07:10
Getting the details together for parking areas for him. I have the finish point covered - MD/PA line.

Looking for a place to park his car at the start point - WV/VA - Loudon Heights. Anyone know where he can park the vehicles? From my AT maps, it does not look like there is a close spot in this area to park.

the national park in harpers ferry is a place to park