PDA

View Full Version : Whats an ounce worth to you? $$$$

kayak karl
01-09-2008, 22:07
I'm cutting back weight in my pack. for example: my cooking pot is 6 oz. could get a 4 oz for $50 or so. sleeping bag is 3 lb. could buy a lighter one:-?. i've drilled holes in everything (not the pot), but it looks like any more weight cut will cost $$$.
What is a few ounces of weight cut worth to you? How much more will you carry to save a buck?
Don't tell me you havn't thought about it:D
Hike Safe,
Kayak

johnny quest
01-09-2008, 22:13
im re-reading colin fletcher's "the complete walker"...the original one. im amazed at how much he carried. but his philosophy then was what it probably should be now. if you need it take it. as for cost, its money. will spending it now on a lighter version of what you already have, be money missed farther down the trail?

Pedaling Fool
01-09-2008, 22:13
I carry no less than 50 lbs, good for the body.

excuses
01-09-2008, 22:14
It was more what I don't need. That 60 or more pound pack everything I might need for 2 weeks. Later this past summer that 30 pound pack had more than enough I needed. Cost is something I do look at, but when I'm out now I find that I really don't need as much as I would have thought a few years ago. My problem now is having to wait for easter break. Happy walking

modiyooch
01-09-2008, 22:15
I drive the Outfitter nuts. He says that I am constantly weighing, but I don't want to spend the money. It can be done.

kayak karl
01-09-2008, 22:18
i agree, with 4 liters and 7 days food i'm around 45-50 lb.

Dingus Khan
01-09-2008, 22:26
50 bucks a lb at most? (this does NOT include diy or self-mods IMO, that is a whole different ball game)

example: spend 200 bucks on a new pack to save 4 lbs? defintively.

spend an extra 75-100$ to choose a higher loft bag that will save you 25 oz? sure.

i think this question really only applies to the big four and clothing though, once you get into the grams game it seems that DIY really excels and offers more customizable lightweight stuff.

i'm still new at this and this is my guess... i'll be interested in seeing what others think/price oz to be worth.

SC Ryan
01-09-2008, 22:29
Here in SC about $250-$300:banana

Dingus Khan
01-09-2008, 22:34
ps karl, do you kayak or backpack?

my old man built his own woody (17 footer with front and rear bulkheads) and does week long trips, gear weight is around 80 lbs!!!

In his defense though, he does pack a 10 lb kayak wheel and has to carry all of his water since it is ocean travel, no fresh water available...

Demortor
01-09-2008, 22:40
I buy what I can afford and pray my back doesn't give out when I need it most. As a Tuba player, 50 lbs really ain't that bad.

kayak karl
01-09-2008, 22:41
ps karl, do you kayak or backpack?

my old man built his own woody (17 footer with front and rear bulkheads) and does week long trips, gear weight is around 80 lbs!!!

In his defense though, he does pack a 10 lb kayak wheel and has to carry all of his water since it is ocean travel, no fresh water available...
Im doing the AT SOBO in june. done some kayak camping. weight is not AS big of an issue. i do the delaware south of wilmington, del.

Froggy
01-09-2008, 22:50
Ah, the cost per ounce issue. It's a good one.

The number depends on the size of the hiker, their experience, their health and fitness, their wealth or lack of that, and to some extent, their age.

I'm sure that a person in their 60s, newly retired, with some money would gladly pay more per ounce to save weight than a person taking a semester off from a high-priced college, for example.

Imagine someone with no money, who's big and fit. They'd pay little to save weight. Someone in their late 60s, smallish, starting to feel the aches of age, who has stashed away a few million might pay a considerable amount.

Heck, some people would probably pay to have someone else carry their gear!

BR360
01-09-2008, 22:56
I have gotten into going light since returning to backpacking about 2 years ago. Used to go with about 30-40 pounds. Now I am down to as little as [stopping to check spreadsheet] 11 pounds for a summer 2-nighter, or up to 20 lbs. for a winter 2 nighter. That includes a GPS, a camera, and a little bit of Bourbon to toast the end of a day on the trail. These are, needless to say, weighty encumbrances for the simple pleasure of hiking, but they bring me satisfaction on the trail.

I choose my rig based upon the total load, where I am going and what the camping conditions will be like, and what I want to accomplish. Distance? Just "getting away?" Photography? For instance, I have 4 sleeping-comfort levels to choose from (1) a blue foam pad for the lightest load, (2) a Prolite self-inflating mattress, (3) an air mattress, and (4) a hammock. I will tent, tarp, cowboy, or tree-hang, depending on anticipated conditions. This sometimes causes problems when I have to pack to leave, as I have options to choose from.

But since I have got a basically light rig, I am thinking about packing based on what gear will give me satisfaction. In the end, I am fond of Sgt Rock's aphorism: The more I carry, the more in enjoy camping. The less I carry, the more I enjoy hiking.

BR360
01-09-2008, 23:01
Forgot to mention that last year I got my eyes "lasiked." Cost me $2500. Saved me about 0.5 ounces. I no longer have to carry contact lens kit (container, solution, extra lenses if lose one, hand-claening solution, etc.) plus glasses for nightime when lenses are out.

Now I have to carry "reading glasses" because I can't see well when things like a map are up close.

But that $2500 has been the best money I ever spent in my life (on myself).

rcli4
01-09-2008, 23:01
I have no idea,but when I bought the carbon fiber tent stakes to replace the titanium ones my wife said ENOUGH.

Panzer1
01-09-2008, 23:04
When I replace a old piece of gear with a lighter piece I'm more concerned with what to do with the old piece than the cost of the new piece. I feel a certain amouny of loyality to my old gear and I don't like to see it go to waste.

Panzer

Smile
01-09-2008, 23:06
Panzer, I'm like that too. I feel like it's served me for so long, or so many miles :)

kayak karl
01-09-2008, 23:14
Forgot to mention that last year I got my eyes "lasiked." Cost me $2500. Saved me about 0.5 ounces. I no longer have to carry contact lens kit (container, solution, extra lenses if lose one, hand-claening solution, etc.) plus glasses for nightime when lenses are out.

Now I have to carry "reading glasses" because I can't see well when things like a map are up close.

But that $2500 has been the best money I ever spent in my life (on myself).
my dad just had that dont at 75. he's so happy. still wears glasses, but he can see good enough to pee in the middle of the nite without them :) (his words not mine)

Appalachian Tater
01-09-2008, 23:25
Depends upon how far you're carrying it.

If you're going to carry it 2,000 miles, ask yourself you much you would be willing to pay not to carry a pound that far. Would you pay $10 an ounce or $160 a pound not to carry it? More or less? If you're only going 100 miles, it wouldn't be worth as much.

kyerger
01-09-2008, 23:40
My pack weight is about 45 lb with 4 weeks of food and 2 liter of water. I dont like town stops. With out food and water it is 17 to 18 lb. I have never ate much when i hike and do suffer a weight lose problem while out on the trail.

superman
01-10-2008, 00:01
When I hiked the AT in 2000 my pack weighed 40 LB. Now I try to keep it to about 20 LB. I camel up and carry 1 liter of water. I try to resupply every three days to keep the pack weight down. You can hike well or camp well...you just have decide which you want to do. Bounce boxes work. I've carried heavy packs and light packs...I prefer light. Many of the changes I made didn't cost much. I went from a $300 dollar slick rock to a $70 tarp. Down sleeping bag, G4 pack, minimum alcohol stove all work fine for me.

Panzer1
01-10-2008, 00:28
carrying 1 pound 2000 miles is like carrying 1 ton 1 mile.

Panzer

copythat
01-10-2008, 00:36
carrying 1 pound 2000 miles is like carrying 1 ton 1 mile.

Panzer

or carrying an infinitely large weight an infinitely small distance? ;)

Demortor
01-10-2008, 00:45

Anyone know how much it cost's to rent a Sherpa for 5 months?

Montego
01-10-2008, 00:58
Between "good hiking" and "good camping", I use to be good at hiking. Now that I'm a bit older, my preference leans more to good camping. I don't mind carrying a bit more wieght (still under 40#) if my off-trail time is more pleasent. Heck, it's not important for me anymore to make the BIG miles since I'm not as fast at hiking as I use to be. It is more important to me to just enjoy the trip (including the camping) even if it's at a slower pace. I would not spend huge amounts of money to go a few ounces less. Much rather have that money for use on the trail.

gungho
01-12-2008, 20:17
When I hiked the AT in 2000 my pack weighed 40 LB. Now I try to keep it to about 20 LB. I camel up and carry 1 liter of water. I try to resupply every three days to keep the pack weight down. You can hike well or camp well...you just have decide which you want to do. Bounce boxes work. I've carried heavy packs and light packs...I prefer light. Many of the changes I made didn't cost much. I went from a $300 dollar slick rock to a $70 tarp. Down sleeping bag, G4 pack, minimum alcohol stove all work fine for me.
It is definetly worth the extra money to reduce the weight. My wife and I Just did an overhaul on all of our gear. We spent over $1000 but we reduced our pack weight a good 10lbs each. The back definetly thanks me everytime I go on our weekend excursions:)

mountain squid
01-12-2008, 20:43
my cooking pot is 6 oz. could get a 4 oz for $50 or so
:eek:That is a ridiculously expensive pot. Check these pots (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=11) out.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-12-2008, 20:44
Anyone know how much it cost's to rent a Sherpa for 5 months?::: Dino ears seen perking up :D :::

I've spent quite a bit in the past few years lightening up our (a couple) load so we could continue to hike after a bad (auto) accident. I've replaced:

a 5.5 lb tent for two with a three pound bivy tent and a 19 oz 10' x 12' silnylon tarp - so we have more room and save over a pound after adding the weight of stakes and line for the tarp
our packs - his was a tiny bit heavier (but larger and external frame to carry more) and mine is much smaller / lighter as I have a weight limit these days.
We switched from a Whisperlite International stove to a larger alcohol stove - and lost about 1.5 lbs including the fuel bottle.
We switched to titanium cookware and went back to aluminum because titanium doesn't work for the way we cook.
We had to switch to heavier mats from our ridgerest - old, banged up bodies need more padding. To compensate for this, we switched to a double quilt from two sleeping bags - a move that saved some serious weight - and overall our sleep system lost about 9 ozs.
We have switched to silnylon ponchos from coated and lost about 2 poundsAs to cost - the stove was $20, but those can be made pretty easily (He-Dino wanted one in Ti). The tent was not much (under $40) and the tarp was about $90. The new packs were about $220. Don't remember what the cookware cost. The new mats were about $90 and the material to make the quilt was about $120. The silnylon ponchos were about $100.

hopefulhiker
01-12-2008, 23:47
Being out of shape and old, I was willing to drop the cash for the major items for the thru hike. I would say about six dollars per oz... For the big four I paid about 600 to 700 dollars...

kayak karl
01-13-2008, 00:28
:eek:That is a ridiculously expensive pot. Check these pots (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=11) out.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
thanks, i was looking at titatium, but these are great:)

rafe
01-13-2008, 02:17
If anyone's still carrying water in Nalgene bottles... that's a really good place to start... Platy bag or even Gatorade bottles will save lots of oz. for very little $$.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 03:57
It most definitely depends on the item. The best cost to weight saved ratio are the things left behind - $0 to save an ounce.

Doesn't work for things like sleeping bags. There, I guess I've paid close to $300 to save a pound when I bought my Nunatak Quilt. (Because I already had a sleeping bag suitable for similar temperatures). But I am supremely happy with it. I could have wasted that much money on a few nights in a motel, or 20 or so trips to the movies (factoring in the high cost of popcorn/drinks). Instead, I can enjoy the wilderness even more!

88BlueGT
01-13-2008, 04:04
This is one reason why I'm really happy that I started out with very cheap gear. I'm starting to buy gear for my thruhike in 09 and am willing to pay almost anything for good/reliably/lightweight gear. For ex, if there was a 3lb tent for $300. I wouldnt have a problem spending $450 for a tent thats 2lb 8oz. If you do the math its a little less than $20 an ounce. This usually applies to everything.

88BlueGT
01-13-2008, 04:07
If anyone's still carrying water in Nalgene bottles... that's a really good place to start... Platy bag or even Gatorade bottles will save lots of oz. for very little $$.

Do you know the weight on either of those items? I was kind of upset because I got 2 Nalgenes for Christmas and online they claimed to come in a 4oz but when I weight them they were a hair from 6. Carrying 2 of them thats 4oz more than I expected....

NorthCountryWoods
01-13-2008, 09:22

There ya go!

When I started out I had some heavy cheap gear. 9lbs tent, 4lbs stove, etc, pack rarely weighed under 50lbs. After a few years of that, you're legs are like iron, you go thru boots like crazy and you're dying to cut some weight.

Went the ultra-lite minimalist route for a few years and quickly got tired of being uncomfortable, wet and generally annoyed with less durable, expensive gear.

Finally got my pack to 25-40lbs and moderately priced, but well made gear and it's a nice middle ground for long periods out on the trail. Can't go as far or as fast as with the lighter stuff, but it makes the camping part more enjoyable.

Survivor Dave
01-13-2008, 09:56
Yes, I have pondered the thought once or twice and still pondering. I want to replace the 16.1 oz. Featherlite DAC poles for my Hubba Hubba with the Fibraplex Carbon Fiber ones. With shipping it's $180. I will save about 6.3 oz.
$28.57/oz. sounds like a lot of money to me, but it's easy to say that from the comforts of home. I can see myself out there saying, "You cheap bastard, you should have bought the other poles!":datz

SD

rafe
01-13-2008, 10:41
Do you know the weight on either of those items? I was kind of upset because I got 2 Nalgenes for Christmas and online they claimed to come in a 4oz but when I weight them they were a hair from 6. Carrying 2 of them thats 4oz more than I expected....

The "old" translucent (32 oz. volume) Nalgenes weighed 4 oz. The shiny, multi-colored new Lexan ones weigh 6 oz.

sheepdog
01-13-2008, 11:04
Don't forget the easiest way to lighten your pack 10lbs (for me anyway) is to lose weight. You can buy lighter gear but you can't buy fitness. I did get a steripen. 4 ounces compared to 14 ounces for my filter.

Appalachian Tater
01-13-2008, 11:50

That's one place where you can save weight AND money. Get some Gatorade, Aquafina, or quinine water bottles, any bottle with a wide mouth. You could save ten ounces and they would only cost $3.00 compared to whatever the Nalgenes cost.

Terry7
01-13-2008, 14:08
I read this somewhere "The less I carry, the more I like hiking. The more I carry, the more I like camping."

Footslogger
01-13-2008, 14:16
For me, packweight is inversely proportional to my age. In my 20's I carried 50+ pound packs ...in my 50's I carry 20+ pound packs. Only time will tell what happens when I cross the big SIX-O.

'Slogger

Dholmblad
01-13-2008, 14:44
My pack weight is about 45 lb with 4 weeks of food and 2 liter of water. I dont like town stops. With out food and water it is 17 to 18 lb. I have never ate much when i hike and do suffer a weight lose problem while out on the trail.

There is no way you carry enough food.

rafe
01-13-2008, 14:48
For me, packweight is inversely proportional to my age. In my 20's I carried 50+ pound packs ...in my 50's I carry 20+ pound packs. Only time will tell what happens when I cross the big SIX-O.

Same story here pretty much. My pals and I carried insanely heavy packs as young 'uns. I wouldn't get very far these days with that kind of weight on my back.

wrongway_08
01-13-2008, 14:50
It depends on what your getting out of it.

I just ordered a Pacific Outdoor Uber light UL37. Cost is $60.00. Weight is 9oz

My current, personally altered Big Agnes Air core weighe 130z - after cutting it up.

So for $60.00 I saved 4oz, have more pack space and the pad looks to be more comfy then my Big Agnes - the air cores are placed across, instead of up and down. Will have to wait till Thursday night to see if it was a good decision.

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/images/products/UBERLITE.jpg

kayak karl
01-13-2008, 15:03
There is no way you carry enough food.
i got to agree. food runs 1.5 - 2.0 lb per day. even at 1 lb per day thats 28 lb+ but add in some shelter mice, road kill and cattail and lilly pad roots, i think u can do it:D

russb
01-13-2008, 15:36
How did you alter your BA AirCore?

It depends on what your getting out of it.

I just ordered a Pacific Outdoor Uber light UL37. Cost is $60.00. Weight is 9oz

My current, personally altered Big Agnes Air core weighe 130z - after cutting it up.

So for $60.00 I saved 4oz, have more pack space and the pad looks to be more comfy then my Big Agnes - the air cores are placed across, instead of up and down. Will have to wait till Thursday night to see if it was a good decision.

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/images/products/UBERLITE.jpg

88BlueGT
01-13-2008, 18:30
I was thinking the exact same thing. What style air core do you have?

My 66" rectangular air core with carrying sack weighs like 1lb 7oz or something like that. (I weighed it a few days ago and forgot). I love the air core but the weight is an obvious downfall. I would love to shed a few OZ's off of it.

fiddlehead
01-13-2008, 18:48
Anyone know how much it cost's to rent a Sherpa for 5 months?

In Nepal they are $5 a day. (+ food )

In the states, you would have to get them here. OF course that's not so easy any more. Sponsorship letters, multiple trips to the US embassy applying, They usually need to borrow money to show that they can support themselves. (at about 120% interest)

There are many here in the states, If you are serious, i can hook you up with a few but they are probably working already and you would have to pay them well. (pm me)

If you are not serious, sorry for hijacking the thread.

fiddlehead
01-13-2008, 18:55
an ounce of gold is now over $900
luckily, hiking gear is still cheaper.

Except for the sleeping bag, the rest of your gear doesn't have to cost much to lighten your load.
You can make your own pack out of almost anything, same with a tarp.
you can go no-cook or build fires along the way

You can keep your eyes open and hit thrift stores to find so many items: microfleece tops and bottoms, aluminum pots, aluminum spoons (i used to give these away to friends and customers).

Just simply keep your eyes open and look for anything that is lighter than what you already carry. You'll be surprised and after a few years, will replace all of your gear.

By the way, a hummingbird (feathered friends 20 deg. bag) is only 1 lb 10 oz (in the lightest weight material) and mine has been on 4 thru's now.

stranger
01-13-2008, 20:50
I wouldn't spend much to solely save on weight, but I have no problem spending heaps if I get a great piece of gear. And that doesn't mean the new piece of gear is lighter per say either.

Personally, I think pack weight is very overrated. I don't believe I am slowed down when I carry 2 liters of water instead of 1, or when I leave town with 4 days food instead of 3. When I look at my watch and see I've been walking 2hours I know I've done a certain distance, and this never varies more than about 2-3 tenths of a mile or so, and it's the same now as it was when I was 17. I guess you might be a little more tired at the end of the day but I have never noticed that.

Of course, if you are carrying 50lbs that is different, that's alot of weight for me, almost 1/3 my body weight. But the difference between carrying a 24lb pack and 27lb pack to me means nothing...if it did I could lighten my pack 3lbs tomorrow, no thanks. And I've always felt you don't carry less weight by lightening everything in your pack...but by simply taking less with you.

But I've seen people pay $300 at a outfitter on the AT to lighten their pack by about 14ounces...to each their own.

Programbo
01-13-2008, 21:01
...my cooking pot is 6 oz. could get a 4 oz for $50 or so.....Don't tell me you havn't thought about it......

$50 to save 2 ounces????..Heck no I haven`t thought of that...If you are talking of going from 50 down to 30 pounds I`m all for it..But worrying about going from 27.5 down to 24 pounds and I`m saying, "Ooooooook" as I back slowly away from you :p

88BlueGT
01-14-2008, 01:04
Well put it this way, I just went out and bought $11 lithium batteries for my headlight to save 12 grams :)

pure_mahem
01-14-2008, 02:06
After reading this entire article to this point I have a few answers and statements and propositions or maybe just one of each.

If your wondering what to do with your gear after you've upgraded you can send it to me just pm me and I will give you my address so you can be assured that it will go to a good home, I'll except everything but clothing.

If $20 and ounce is a good deal I have a 1 ounce cook pot I'll sell you for 60 bucks to replace your 4 plus ounce titanium one. Just Pm me with your shipping information and I'll send you a paypal invoice for it.

After 60 the way you get under 20 lbs is to just bring your clothes and a credit card that should put you at about 4 -5 lbs, lol!

kayak karl
01-14-2008, 03:32
got alot of ideas from this thread, thanks. i have a REI internal frame pack @4lb-7oz. carries great, doesn't hurt shoulders or hips if i adjust it right. i have tried frameless but they tend to hurt my back.
has anyone else with back and shoulder problems and around 50yrs young have trouble with light packs. its the last thing i can cut substantial weight on.

Marta
01-14-2008, 08:11
an ounce of gold is now over $900
luckily, hiking gear is still cheaper.

Fortunately I don't need to carry much gold in my pack.:D

NICKTHEGREEK
01-14-2008, 08:40
I pack it, I lift it, if it feels a little too heavy I take some of the redundant stuff out. I buy very good quality gear but not anything advertised as ultra-light just because it weighs less.

Just for the record after years of buying everything on the market, I haven't bought anything but canisters, socks, and batteries in the past year. I'm pretty well stocked up on everything including trail food so I hope '08 will be a 0 $ gear year.

rafe
01-14-2008, 09:49
has anyone else with back and shoulder problems and around 50yrs young have trouble with light packs. its the last thing i can cut substantial weight on.

I tried for years to find a replacement for my Camp Trails external-frame pack. From recommendations on another list (AT-L), I bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. It looked like the trick but wasn't. Then I bought a GG Nimbus Ozone -- and that was the one! FWIW, I'm 55. I've owned that Camp Trails pack since 1989 and covered about 1/2 or 2/3 the length of the AT with it, usually carrying 30-35 lbs. or so.

The Nimbus Ozone has a frame sheet made of some composite material that's fairly stiff. The Vapor Trail has a fairly flimsy frame sheet made of very flexible plastic. Both packs are popular on the AT. I'd recommend the Vapor Trail for those who can keep their total pack weight to 25 lbs or less. Or those with young, strong backs. This 55 year-old found the Nimbus Ozone a pleasure to wear, with a total pack weight in the 25-30 lb range.

mrc237
01-14-2008, 10:13
Upgrade as budget allows! Start off heavy end up light!

Johnny Swank
01-14-2008, 14:28
Getting down to 12-14 lbs without food or water doesn't have to be that expensive. Those last few ounces can be $$$$$$ though. A few ounces one way or the other isn't worth it to me unless I can buy/make the gear for cheap.

Wolf - 23000
01-14-2008, 22:56
Getting down to 12-14 lbs without food or water doesn't have to be that expensive. Those last few ounces can be $$$$$$ though. A few ounces one way or the other isn't worth it to me unless I can buy/make the gear for cheap.

Johnny,

I backpack well under 12-14 lbs without food. It doesn't have to be that expensive. If you add up all my gear including clothes, I spent about $200 total. Think about it. You can buy a 9 oz REI backpack for example for $25. If your not doing anything to extreme it would work find. After doing a little cutting off the extra, your 9 oz pack can be down to around 6 oz. The REI flash UL I know is not really design for long distance backpacking but considering I've used mine for around 700 miles now with it still going strong, I consider it a good investment.

Wolf

Madmax
01-14-2008, 23:38
Just leave the stuff behind that you don't need on the trail. It will cost you nothing :-?

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 13:18
Thats obvious. After that you still need to cut oz's.

wrongway_08
01-15-2008, 17:47
How did you alter your BA AirCore?

Here is the thread explaining it. its down a few post from the start of the thread. My original thread had photos but for some reason, that thread no longer shows how I did it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31736