PDA

View Full Version : Speed hike 2004

Desert Lobster
12-24-2003, 23:54
My Siberian husky and I plan on doing a speed hike starting on June 1st from Springer. We will average 45 miles per day and finish just under the record of 48-20-11.
Support team needed. Lone Wolf, you interested?

hungryhowie
12-25-2003, 01:12
My Siberian husky and I plan on doing a speed hike starting on June 1st from Springer. We will average 45 miles per day and finish just under the record of 48-20-11.
Support team needed. Lone Wolf, you interested?

Umm...forgive my ignorance, but what is "48-20-11"? 48 days is the record, right? but what are the other two?

Thanks & Good luck to you.

-Howie

A-Train
12-25-2003, 03:35
Howie,
Im thinkin its 20 hours 11 minutes. Do people actually keep this precise a time for their hikes??!

Sure your siberian huskies gonna be able to stand the intense southern heat you;re gonna recieve in june? and also 40+ miles a day?

Sure this ain't no troll?

Lone Wolf
12-25-2003, 07:21
This is very serious stuff. Precise timing must be kept. I am the man for the job! hehehe :cool:

Desert Lobster
12-25-2003, 16:49
Yes, 48 days, 20 hours, and 11 minutes. People just say 48 days, but this is the record.

Hey Lone Wolf, what ya think of Ed Kostak's Long Trail record of
4 days, 15 hours, and 19 minutes for 276 miles. He took about 7 hours off Horton's record.

PS I heard Maineak is coming out of retirement? He has cut his weight down from 450 to 350!

Moon Monster
12-26-2003, 13:18
Either troll or irresponsible (to the dog).

warren doyle
01-12-2004, 11:52
Hello Desert Lobster,
I wish you well on your upcoming record attempt. To honor the other record-holders who came before, please make a conscious effort to follow the white blazes at all times.
Thanks,
Warren

Jaybird
01-12-2004, 12:34
D.L.:

Good luck with your record setting attempt!

i, however, dont see the point.

walkin', hikin', backpackin' etc....is about the journey!

.......but, i wish you well.

for those of you that'll be on a normal pace.........................

..................... see you UP the trail in 2004!

Patco
01-12-2004, 12:56
....and watch out fer sum o' dem speed traps out der in duh kuntry er else you'uns'll be in uh heep o trouble boy.

White blazes - yes
Black beauties - no

(put a spare knee and lung in your bounce box)

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2004, 20:47
Amongst all this talk about "records" and "record holders," it seems to me that it should be remembered that there is no "offical" speed record for hiking the A.T. and never has been, in that there is no governing body or organization that either keeps such records, authenticates them, or bestows any sort of award or recognition for those who claim to have captured a new "record." No responsible group keeps such records precisely because no responsible group wants to encourage this sort of activity.

Neither the Appalachian Trail Conference, the quasi-governmental organization charged with the care and maintenance of the Trail, nor the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association, nor any other group or organization keeps and maintains these records, nor does any one group recognize, authenticate, or publicize these "records."

In point of fact, there are many in the hiking commuity who neither approve, nor are they particularly impressed with any sort of "record-setting" hike on the A.T.; in the past, these hikes have mainly served as publicity stunts for the participants. The key point is always publicity, for if this were not the case, we wouldn't hear about these stunt hikes before, during, and after their completion.

The Appalachian Trail Conference, in particular, has taken a public position on this sort of thing: Each and every edition of their authoritative A.T. Trail Guides has for years contained the following statement:

"Special hikes, group hikes, or other group activities that could degrade the Appalachian Trail's natural or cultural resources or social values should be avoided. Examples of such activities include publicized spectator events, commercial or competitive activites, or programs involving large groups."

It is obvious that a publicity-seeking attempt to capture the alleged "speed record" is precisely the sort of publicized competitive event that the ATC feels is not in the best interests of the Trail. In short, activities that degrade the Trail are not activities that should be emulated, encouraged, or praised.

This has long been the feeling of the people charged with taking care of the Trail, and it is an opinion held by many others. Making a big deal of trying to achieve the "speed record" for hiking on the A.T., or "honoring" the alleged achievements of those who have engaged in this sort of activity in the past, is not something that finds a great deal of approval in the Trail community. Most folks feel that this sort of pre-publicized stunt is not what the Trail is all about, and while anyone is welcome to announce future such attempts, as well as to boast about past attempts, in most cases this sort of thing is generally frowned on. To most folks in the hiking community, the "speed record" is all about very dubious bragging rights, and bragging about the specialness or uniqueness of one's own hike is something that most folks can do without.

warren doyle
01-12-2004, 21:55
Desert Lobster,
Contrary to the previous post, there is a small irresponsible group comprised of irresponsible individuals that will be most interested in your challenging endeavor. All of these individuals wish you well on your quest and only ask that you follow the white blazes.
When do you plan to start?
What kind of support will you have?
Thanks.

magic_game03
01-12-2004, 23:03
you expect credit for a completly supported thru-hike? hahaha. my grandma could do it if i held her hand and gave her food every couple of hours. might as well have someone carry you, hell just get a whole pack of sherpas and have them hoist you around. i figgure you could average about 55 miles a day and break the record by a week.

i cant believe i'm responding to this lame post. somebody spam me please, so i'll ignore post like this in the future.

magic

Blue Jay
01-13-2004, 09:28
you expect credit for a completly supported thru-hike? hahaha. my grandma could do it if i held her hand and gave her food every couple of hours. might as well have someone carry you, hell just get a whole pack of sherpas and have them hoist you around. i figgure you could average about 55 miles a day and break the record by a week.

i cant believe i'm responding to this lame post. somebody spam me please, so i'll ignore post like this in the future.

magic

I agree 1000%. The dog will be carrying a 100 lb. pack, he'll get a new one at each road crossing.