PDA

View Full Version : Pole Sleeves VS Clip On

scout005
01-09-2008, 22:32
Are pole sleeves better than clip ons for free standing tents? If you had the choice, what would you pick?

troglobil
01-09-2008, 22:36
I prefer the clips. They are faster to set up and in hot weather give better ventilation, as they do not inhibit air flow.

take-a-knee
01-09-2008, 22:38
Clips make for a lighter tent but a tent with sleeves can be set up by unrolling the tent with the fly on top and sliding the poles in from the sides, thereby keeping the rain out of your tent.

Demortor
01-09-2008, 22:42
I like the clips. Faster set up and you don't have the problem of the poles coming apart in the sleeves when you break down. As far as setting up in bad weather, just get it up as fast as possible and use your bandana to get any water up.

Cuffs
01-09-2008, 22:45
I like and have a clip tent, it too can be set up fly-first in the rain.

rafe
01-09-2008, 22:54
Clips are faster but I wouldn't choose a tent on the basis of clips vs. sleeves.

scout005
01-28-2008, 23:25
Do you get a tauter(tighter) pitch with pole sleeves? Is a tent with sleeves more stable and wind/snow load resistant than a clip on?

AlwaysHiking
01-28-2008, 23:39
Clips make for a lighter tent but a tent with sleeves can be set up by unrolling the tent with the fly on top and sliding the poles in from the sides, thereby keeping the rain out of your tent.

Unless the fly has sleeves too that have to be done at the same time. I can't stand my Zoid1 for that reason.

I don't personally own a clip tent, but I've seen one set up in the rain with the fly up on the poles and then just clip clip from underneath moving from one end of the tent to the other and not a drop inside the tent.

Why does it always happen that it stops raining as soon as my shelter goes up? :-?