PDA

View Full Version : Who is the AT Iron Man

jackpot
01-09-2008, 23:04
I’ve just recently became fascinated with long distance hiking. The logistics, gear, and fortitude required really sparked my interest. I see a thru hike in the near future!! I recently retired from a 22 year U.S. Army career, so I’m no stranger to humping a ruck and living outdoors for extended periods, but under very different circumstances.
Just curious, who has the record for the most AT thru hikes? I’m talking from terminus to terminus, no flip flopping or overly supported hikes. Just plain old fashion gutting it out.
Thanks,
Jackpot

ScottP
01-09-2008, 23:20
Depends on who you ask

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:22
Ward Leonard

jackpot
01-09-2008, 23:24
What do you mean by that? Isn't there a clear cut record holder?

jackpot
01-09-2008, 23:25
How many times?

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:27
What do you mean by that? Isn't there a clear cut record holder?

no, there is no clear cut record. but i know ward and i know he has multiple thru-hikes, no flips, no support, and no slackpacking. nobody will compare to him

A-Train
01-09-2008, 23:27
Ward Leonard

Doesn't Seiko have some 16 AT hikes? Not sure how many were thru's though.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:29
Doesn't Seiko have some 16 AT hikes? Not sure how many were thru's though.

hardly. :)

ScottP
01-09-2008, 23:31
And what about that guy Talks Too Much. I've heard that he's been seen on the trail most years for a long time, but he never talks enough for anyone to know what his deal is. He could have a lot of thru hikes.

The real answer is that it doesn't really matter.

SGT Rock
01-09-2008, 23:36
Didn't Ward thru-hike something like 2 or 3 times in one year?

The Weasel
01-09-2008, 23:37
This is the sort of question, Jackpot, that those who enjoy long distance hiking don't care about, basically, and find it a little embarassing when it's brought up. I'm sure there's something in the Army that "newbies" ask aboutl, thinking it must be impressive, only to see everyone else in the room sort of roll their eyes and look away. This is one of those kinds of things.

Welcome to the world of the AT. Honest. Glad your part of it.

TW

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:38

2.5 if i recall

The Weasel
01-09-2008, 23:38
By the way, I'd vote for Granny Gatewood as the "AT Iron Man" but rumor has it (never verified, I think) that she wasn't a man. So she can't be an "Iron Man."

Nyah, nhay, girls can't be in our Iron Man club!!!

TW

A-Train
01-09-2008, 23:39
This is the sort of question, Jackpot, that those who enjoy long distance hiking don't care about, basically, and find it a little embarassing when it's brought up. I'm sure there's something in the Army that "newbies" ask aboutl, thinking it must be impressive, only to see everyone else in the room sort of roll their eyes and look away. This is one of those kinds of things.

Welcome to the world of the AT. Honest. Glad your part of it.

TW

Jack???

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:40
This is the sort of question, Jackpot, that those who enjoy long distance hiking don't care about, basically, and find it a little embarassing when it's brought up.

you don't do much LD hiking obviously. embarrasing?

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:41
Jack???

hardly :) lotsa slackpacking and days off

Sly
01-09-2008, 23:41

I heard he did a hike that went something like this. Springer to Neels gap to Springer to Franklin to Neels Gap to Fontana etc to Katahdin. Three hikes in one!

Not sure if it's the truth but that's what I heard...

SGT Rock
01-09-2008, 23:42
2.5 if i recall
That sounds fairly difficult.

The Weasel
01-09-2008, 23:43
you don't do much LD hiking obviously. embarrasing?

Wolf, I was walking long distances when you were trying to learn to walk. Maybe you've walked more than me since, maybe not, and I don't care which; I've walked places and distances that pleased me, and you've done the same. Always liked hiking/backpacking because it wasn't a bragging sport or a competition with others. But maybe that day is changing. Can't wait for our version of the BCS.

TW

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:45
That sounds fairly difficult.

Ward is one of a kind. born to hike, hike fast and far. day after day. i witnessed it for a few years

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:48
Wolf, I was walking long distances when you were trying to learn to walk. Maybe you've walked more than me since, maybe not, and I don't care which; I've walked places and distances that pleased me, and you've done the same. Always liked hiking/backpacking because it wasn't a bragging sport or a competition with others. But maybe that day is changing. Can't wait for our version of the BCS.

TW

so at 10 years old what distances were you walking? :)

rafe
01-09-2008, 23:49
Ward is one of a kind. born to hike, hike fast and far. day after day. i witnessed it for a few years

So did practically anyone who spent significant time on the AT in '89 or '90. You're one of the few who came away with positive impressions of the dude.

SGT Rock
01-09-2008, 23:49
I hear Richard Stark goes by Ironman, they even made a movie about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbFuW_Jkbg8&feature=related

jackpot
01-09-2008, 23:50
I can’t imagine why WB members would roll their eyes at this question. It seems that this would be an accomplishment that some might aspire to.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 23:51
You're one of the few who came away with positive impressions of the dude.

cuz i have an open mind. i'm patient. i always take to underdogs and the unloved. i ain't sheeple like you

Skidsteer
01-09-2008, 23:54
I can’t imagine why WB members would roll their eyes at this question. It seems that this would be an accomplishment that some might aspire to.

Not all do roll their eyes.

You'll just need to sort the responses.:)

Jim Adams
01-09-2008, 23:54
in 1990 I was climbing Shuckstack on my NOBO thru and Ward (SOBO)stopped to "assess" my hiking. He had started at Harpers Ferry as a SOBO warm-up to Springer for his NOBO thru hike.
He hiked to Springer, turned around and re-passed me NOBO in Hot Springs.
The man was a hiking machine!

geek

rafe
01-09-2008, 23:55

Since you ask: Some folks dig this stuff, but not me. Why? Because competition and "records" aren't why I hike. I hike to get away from the rat race, not to invent a new one.

A-Train
01-09-2008, 23:59
hardly :) lotsa slackpacking and days off

No I meant Weasel's post sounded freakishly like the writing style of Jack, an uncanny resemblance. I think it might be the first topic they agree on.

Sly
01-10-2008, 00:00
jackpot, you need to understand both guys that don't want to talk about it failed in their thru-hike attempts. I normally would say "failed" but it certainly sounds like sour grapes to me. I suppose they're envious. This is classic HYOH but apparently not for some.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:02
No I meant Weasel's post sounded freakishly like the writing style of Jack, an uncanny resemblance. I think it might be the first topic they agree on.

oh. gotcha now :)

SGT Rock
01-10-2008, 00:03

Maybe there are a few, but really - once you have done it once wouldn't it be more cool to hike lots of other places or if you do go for the AT again to try hiking it in a different way?

I guess the point is if you are looking for an accomplishment there are probably other more interesting ones than setting the record for doing something repetitively. Getting a Triple Crown and a few interesting trails is something that sounds a heck of a lot more interesting to me than hiking the same dirt more than anyone else has just so you can say you hiked the same dirt more than anyone else has.

It reminds me of a guy I worked with when I was a Staff Sergeant. He was my partner at PLDC and a good guy. But he had this gene that required him to compete with everyone at everything. So he would do things like try to set a record for how fast the Land Nav course was set up. So he would come back bragging he did it in 30 minutes and everyone would look at him, roll their eyes, and go back to what they were doing. He would say things to me about how they were all jealous of him and knew they couldn't beat him at X (like the land nav thing) - I eventually got tired of it and explained to him he was the only one that even considered it a record or a competition. It wasn't that they were jealous at all - it was that most people don't care. He was so competitive he couldn't believe me, but at least I told him. You named it, he considered it a competition. It didn't stop him from being a good guy and it probably helped his military career.

Bearpaw
01-10-2008, 00:04

It all boils down to HYOH. Every body says it. But often enough folks prove they don't really mean it.

BTW, the Appalachian Trail Conference makes it a point to NOT keep records about who finished the quickest or took the longest or even who thru-hiked. They only keep records on those who submit reports and send them certificates of conratulation of having hiked the whole trail for Georgia to Maine. It could be a flip-flop or section hike or whatever.

Now, unofficially, folks know who hiked in the shortest time or whatnot....

But for most, the AT is about one's personal experience more than records. Lone Wolf, who has hiked HUGE chunks of the trail MANY MANY times takes pride in never having done a traditional thru-hike.

Baltimore Jack first sectioned (got injured in Maine on his '95 attempt and finished the last couple 100 miles in '96). then he thru-hiked every succeeding year at least through , I don't know '03? '04? Jack, fill me in. He always hiked pure, passing every white blaze.

You could call both iron men. I suspect they wouldn't worry about it much either way.

Some folks here will roll their eyes. Some will cheerfully give you their ideas and opinions. Some will turn the post into a complete off-topic chat amongst themselves because that's just what folks do around here. Welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome

rafe
01-10-2008, 00:06
Nice work, Sly. Yeah, I envy Ward. LOL.

This has nothing to do with HYOH. It has to do with the fetish for bigger, better, faster, harder, higher, badder.... Frig all that. As if walking from one end of the AT to the other weren't enough.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:08
It all boils down to HYOH. Every body says it. But often enough folks prove they don't really mean it.

BTW, the Appalachian Trail Conference makes it a point to NOT keep records about who finished the quickest or took the longest or even who thru-hiked. They only keep records on those who submit reports and send them certificates of conratulation of having hiked the whole trail for Georgia to Maine. It could be a flip-flop or section hike or whatever.

Now, unofficially, folks know who hiked in the shortest time or whatnot....

But for most, the AT is about one's personal experience more than records. Lone Wolf, who has hiked HUGE chunks of the trail MANY MANY times takes pride in never having done a traditional thru-hike.

Baltimore Jack first sectioned (got injured in Maine on his '95 attempt and finished the last couple 100 miles in '96). then he thru-hiked every succeeding year at least through , I don't know '03? '04? Jack, fill me in. He always hiked pure, passing every white blaze.

You could call both iron men. I suspect they wouldn't worry about it much either way.

Some folks here will roll their eyes. Some will cheerfully give you their ideas and opinions. Some will turn the post into a complete off-topic chat amongst themselves because that's just what folks do around here. Welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome

good post mr. bearpaw :)

A-Train
01-10-2008, 00:10
You want an iron man and a role model?

Scott Williamson has hiked the PCT 10-12 times in it's entirety, no skipping sections. He's completed 2 yo-yos of the PCT, something only one other person has accomplished (once). He's a triple crowner and has also hiked large portions of the Florida Trail and IAT.

More importantly than all of that is that he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met on any trail. And he's never on the internet spreading self praise. A true iron man in every sense of the term.

Almost There
01-10-2008, 00:12
You wanna talk about it, talk about it. Some people are interested, nothing wrong with that. The most interesting are the ones who do it for themselves, not for accolades, and you may meet them on another one of their hikes, but unless you ask directly they would never tell you that they had done it X number of times, it ain't why they do it. Another good question is, "How many multiple thru hike guys/gals have actually applied for the patch?" I know quite a few who never did, or better yet, when a 21 year old kid asked Pirate if he got a patch, he said, "Why, I could go up to the store and buy one if I really wanted it, don't need to apply for one." BTW, we were at Neel's Gap when it was said.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:13
You want an iron man and a role model?

Scott Williamson has hiked the PCT 10-12 times in it's entirety, no skipping sections. He's completed 2 yo-yos of the PCT, something only one other person has accomplished (once). He's a triple crowner and has also hiked large portions of the Florida Trail and IAT.

More importantly than all of that is that he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met on any trail. And he's never on the internet spreading self praise. A true iron man in every sense of the term.

i agree. squeaky too. nean. roy. maineak. michael p. jones. jim and ginny...the list goes on

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 00:16

Well, Wolf, actually I think I'm closer to a dozen years older than you, although I don't feel like it (except for today, with a rotten cold in Michigan), and I assume you started walking about 12 months into the life cycle. So let's say I was 13.

By that time, I'd probably backpacked something north of 600 miles in the prior 3 years, most of it from Scouting, including pretty big hunks of the Bruce Trail, several middlin' trails in Michigan, and one honkin' big (for a 12 year old) stretch of walking in Michigan's Porkies as well as other chunks of Southern Indiana and Western Michigan. My Scout troop didn't do much of what Scouts do now in terms of 'badge work' and all the rest of the very good, but different things, that happen today. We went camping for 3 days every month as a Troop, and usually 1-3 a month as a Patrol (northern Indiana didn't have much going for kids in the 50s other than basketball (winter) and Scouts (rest of year). And most of the trips involved getting driven to the end of the dirt road, dumped out, and walking for the rest of the time. And since our Scoutmaster was a Chief Master Sgt in the USAF who thought tents were for sissies, we just laid out (winter/summer, rain/shine) on the ground in our army down bags. And then got up and walked some more.

By the time you were starting long walking, about that age, I suspect, I probably had nother 700-1,000 miles down, but I've never kept track. And in the years after that, long hunks in a lot of places. But I don't have a mileage log; that wasn't the purpose. I've just always enjoyed seeing what the bear saw...on the other side of the hills. I think you do, too.

TW

jackpot
01-10-2008, 00:30
i agree. squeaky too. nean. roy. maineak. michael p. jones. jim and ginny...the list goes on

Sorry, I really didn’t mean to stir up controversy, but it seemed like a simple enough question….heck, I admire anyone that managed to do it once!!
What about Warren Doyle, his profile states 14 hikes…pretty impressive!

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 00:31
Oh my God.

Moderators and/or God, PLEASE forgive him, for he knew not what he did.

TW

A-Train
01-10-2008, 00:33

Yes. Flyin' Brian, Heald, Pony Express, Billy Goat, etc. Billy Goat's got some 7ish PCT hikes, 3 AT hikes, 3 ColoradoTrail hikes, CDT, etc. One of the most humble, soft-spoken people alive. Loves the trail.

Hope this doesn't come off as corny. Though I respect those who don't think "records" have a place in the hiking community, I think it's even more important to keep the oral tradition alive by talking about the true trail legends, the ones who have done things others haven't, have spent years hiking, and aren't well known by much of the hiking community. It's not the importance of the frequency of their hikes, but rather their life-long devotion to something we all love.

If you enjoy and value history, and there aren't and will be no records of the accomplishments of these individuals, it's important to keep their legacy going through stories and dialogues like this.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 00:35
Yes. Flyin' Brian, Heald, Pony Express, Billy Goat, etc. Billy Goat's got some 7ish PCT hikes, 3 AT hikes, 3 ColoradoTrail hikes, CDT, etc. One of the most humble, soft-spoken people alive. Loves the trail.

Hope this doesn't come off as corny. Though I respect those who don't think "records" have a place in the hiking community, I think it's even more important to keep the oral tradition alive by talking about the true trail legends, the ones who have done things others haven't, have spent years hiking, and aren't well known by much of the hiking community. It's not the importance of the frequency of their hikes, but rather their life-long devotion to something we all love.

If you enjoy and value history, and there aren't and will be no records of the accomplishments of these individuals, it's important to keep their legacy going through stories and dialogues like this.

Yeah, that's the point. Not the miles, but the people. That's the lesson of Earl.

TW

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:36
Well, Wolf, actually I think I'm closer to a dozen years older than you, although I don't feel like it (except for today, with a rotten cold in Michigan), and I assume you started walking about 12 months into the life cycle. So let's say I was 13.

By that time, I'd probably backpacked something north of 600 miles in the prior 3 years, most of it from Scouting, including pretty big hunks of the Bruce Trail, several middlin' trails in Michigan, and one honkin' big (for a 12 year old) stretch of walking in Michigan's Porkies as well as other chunks of Southern Indiana and Western Michigan. My Scout troop didn't do much of what Scouts do now in terms of 'badge work' and all the rest of the very good, but different things, that happen today. We went camping for 3 days every month as a Troop, and usually 1-3 a month as a Patrol (northern Indiana didn't have much going for kids in the 50s other than basketball (winter) and Scouts (rest of year). And most of the trips involved getting driven to the end of the dirt road, dumped out, and walking for the rest of the time. And since our Scoutmaster was a Chief Master Sgt in the USAF who thought tents were for sissies, we just laid out (winter/summer, rain/shine) on the ground in our army down bags. And then got up and walked some more.

By the time you were starting long walking, about that age, I suspect, I probably had nother 700-1,000 miles down, but I've never kept track. And in the years after that, long hunks in a lot of places. But I don't have a mileage log; that wasn't the purpose. I've just always enjoyed seeing what the bear saw...on the other side of the hills. I think you do, too.

TW

BFD unimpressed

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 01:04
BFD unimpressed

Good. I didn't write it to impress anyone. Where I've walked, and with whom, and why, and how much, matters only to me. The same for you. Enjoy.

TW

mobileman
01-10-2008, 01:44
Good. I didn't write it to impress anyone. Where I've walked, and with whom, and why, and how much, matters only to me. The same for you. Enjoy.

TW

Weasel: Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all day. By the way, where and when did you live in northern Indiana.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 02:03
Weasel: Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all day. By the way, where and when did you live in northern Indiana.

If you know who Jean Shepherd is, from stories or the TV version of "A Christmas Story," I lived close to there, not much later. When the Bumpus family moved, they moved to where I lived. And I knew Scut Farkus, and he knew me.

Michigan City, in the 50s. South Bend in the early 70s. Me and and the Two Joes, that time. You know, Thees-man, as in Hees-man.

TW

Stir Fry
01-10-2008, 02:39
no, there is no clear cut record. but i know ward and i know he has multiple thru-hikes, no flips, no support, and no slackpacking. nobody will compare to him
What is "slackpacking"

OregonHiker
01-10-2008, 02:42
Ward Leonard

Soon to be the WildCowboy;)

OregonHiker
01-10-2008, 02:44

My kid did twelve miles at 6:)

warraghiyagey
01-10-2008, 02:47
What is "slackpacking"
It's where you have someone drop you to hike a section and pick you up at the end of the day. Generally a someone slacking doesn't carry their full pack that day, just a day pack and water.

The Weasel
01-10-2008, 02:49
What is "slackpacking"

It is:

(a) Wearing long pants instead of shorts.
(b) Following Wolf from home to the bar.
(c) Backpacking without backpacks, i.e. being a slacker on the trail.

Pick one. Most of us will go for (c), although (b) may draw a few votes.

TW

OregonHiker
01-10-2008, 03:01

TW

Kind of sounds lile the tortoise and the hare..only we will catch up to you while you are dirt napping

saimyoji
01-12-2008, 18:23
My kid did twelve miles at 6:)

Late bloomer. Mine did 10 at 4.

Skidsteer
01-12-2008, 18:28

My boy was precocious, I guess.

He could hike as many miles as his Mom starting at conception.

OregonHiker
01-12-2008, 19:03

My kid hiked up to Nevada Falls at Yosemite at 3:D

Bearpaw
01-12-2008, 19:05
My kid hiked up to Nevada Falls at Yosemite at 3:D

Wow, that's one HECK of a climb for a 3-year-old! It hurt me just heading DOWN from those falls!

saimyoji
01-12-2008, 19:13
Is this how soccer mom phenomenon starts? I bow out. Your kid is amazing. Outstanding. Beyond comparison. You must be very proud.

OregonHiker
01-12-2008, 19:24
Is this how soccer mom phenomenon starts? I bow out. Your kid is amazing. Outstanding. Beyond comparison. You must be very proud.

OH lighten up Francis and have a sense of humor:sun

If you hadn't raised the white flag I was going drive him 100 miles, drop him off and tell him he better be at school on time Monday. He's 16 now, waybe 150 miles is more like it:D

As far as soccer mom....hardly...all I ever expected was effort, not performance

SawnieRobertson
01-12-2008, 20:34
Obviously, none of you has been on the AT much, certainly not in '98 or '03. Any man made of iron would have rusted clear through by Waywayanda Mountain, either direction.--Kinnickinic

slow
01-13-2008, 02:43
Soon to be the WildCowboy;)

We will see what happens in his run?
I do know he will have a great shot at it.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 04:44
he'll give up after the first day

ScottP
01-13-2008, 05:52
AFTER the first day? giving him a lot of credit there

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 06:01
AFTER the first day? giving him a lot of credit there

yup. he's got to average 72 miles a day. springer to plumorchard gap shelter is 70 miles. he has to hike at least 3 miles per hour with a pack to accomplish this. i give him no credit. he won't even make the first 72 miles in under 24 hours

GGS2
01-13-2008, 06:09
Seems to me some people start out just driving it as hard as they can. Some keep on doing that, and some ease off for a number of reasons. Then there are those who never had the urge to drive hard. I hike, when I can, to stay healthy and to watch my mind deal with a reality it can't fudge. The trail always wins. Try and tell it different and you will get broken. The trail, any trail, is a great teacher if you care to listen. I just couldn't hike for records if my life depended on it: My Achilles tendons gave in, both of them, when I was in school (football) and it's been touch and go ever since. But I still want to go the distance, any way I can. I guess I'll do it on a bicycle if my legs won't carry me. As they say, HYOH.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 06:11
then IF he makes it day 1, BIG IF, he'll have to sleep a few hours then go all the way to cheoah bald in less than 24 hours. :D

Marta
01-13-2008, 06:28
then IF he makes it day 1, BIG IF, he'll have to sleep a few hours then go all the way to cheoah bald in less than 24 hours. :D

You're forgetting that he was born in Tennessee, so the mountains there are nothing to him.;)

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 08:05
You're forgetting that he was born in Tennessee, so the mountains there are nothing to him.;)

I doubt the mountains will agree - they will kick his butt.

Marta
01-13-2008, 08:17
I doubt the mountains will agree - they will kick his butt.

Oh, come on. The mountains in TN aren't that tough--if you keep your mileage down to modest 10-20 per day.

Personally, though, I sincerely doubt he'll make it to TN. I'll be surprised if he makes it to NC on schedule. Other than the fact that he gave press interviews, this doesn't seem like a serious attempt. In a couple of weeks he went from being a newbie asking about gear to saying he's going for an amazing record. I don't think he's got any sort of ultra-running record to make this seem even slightly possible.

Dang, where's that popcorn smilely when I need it?

MOWGLI
01-13-2008, 08:23

Rosie Ruiz could do it!

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 08:29
Oh, come on. The mountains in TN aren't that tough--if you keep your mileage down to modest 10-20 per day.

Dang, where's that popcorn smilely when I need it?

My comment was in reference to his planned mileage. You will only need a small bucket of popcorn for this short hike.

Marta
01-13-2008, 08:47
My comment was in reference to his planned mileage. You will only need a small bucket of popcorn for this short hike.

Too true.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this "plan" is too far out there.

My husband came into the room while I was composing my previous post, so we had a short talk about the hike. We agreed that he'll have to make more than the 72 miles a day in the south to compensate for the more difficult terrain in the north. So...4 mph for 20 hours a day, will make 80 miles per day. That's hiking time only, of course, and doesn't count time fetching water, food, etc.

We talked a little about ultra events like the Ride Across America. Aren't most of these things about a week long at most? After three or four days the participants start to hallucinate from lack of sleep? By the end of the event, they practically have to be hospitalized?

rickb
01-13-2008, 09:55
What about Warren Doyle, his profile states 14 hikes…pretty impressive!

I agree.

How many people create a life that allows them so much time to follow one of their passions to the fullest? More than a few on this list have, including Warren.

Most of Mr. Doyle's AT hikes have been leading group expeditions, with a support vehicle meeting his party at road crossings, however. But moving fast, with very little attrition and camping out rather than doing the B&B thing.

Since that doesn't sit will with a few here, some have sought to minimize the magnitude of his records on the AT by dismissing Warren as just a "recreational walker".

But there is no doubt that he has thru hiked the trail more times than anyone else has, or likely will for the forseeable future. He is also one of the very few hikers of any kind who actually has walked the entire trail, on his thru hikes.

Lilred
01-13-2008, 10:03

That ain't nothin, my did 3 miles, 2 months before he was born!!!:p

saimyoji
01-13-2008, 10:08
OH lighten up Francis and have a sense of humor:sun

If you hadn't raised the white flag I was going drive him 100 miles, drop him off and tell him he better be at school on time Monday. He's 16 now, waybe 150 miles is more like it:D

As far as soccer mom....hardly...all I ever expected was effort, not performance

Who is Francis?

rickb
01-13-2008, 10:16
I think Francis was a soldier in Sgt Hulka's (trail name Bigtoe) platoon.

mudhead
01-13-2008, 11:23
That ain't nothin, my did 3 miles, 2 months before he was born!!!:p

The visual on this...

pitdog
01-13-2008, 11:26
ward chip leonard!

yappy
01-13-2008, 11:37
ward leonard.. where the heck is he these days ?..what an odd dude..

rickb
01-13-2008, 11:48
I always wondered if Ward Leonard was his real name.

I don't have any reason to suspect that it wasn't, but I still find it curious that Ward Leonard is the name of a big defense contractor in CT, and Ward was from there, I think.

Probably coincidence. But I can see someone adopting that name if they were from that area until it stuck even so far as with his family (who I think some on this list have met).

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2008, 11:49
which iron man gave back to the tral the most(trail maintence,donation of time or money,educator of the trail etc...)

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 11:58
Mechanical Man. Just ask him.

rafe
01-13-2008, 12:00
which iron man gave back to the tral the most(trail maintence,donation of time or money,educator of the trail etc...)

I nominate Weary.

Bearpaw
01-13-2008, 12:14

Ironmen, by the definition of the OP, would be moving too furiously to give much back. Except footprints and methane gas....... :mad:

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 12:16

Weathercarrot without a doubt

cheflovesbeer
01-13-2008, 12:33
This one of the best threads, I've read in a while. I'm surprised that it took so long for Weathercarrot to be named. But L.Wolf put his name at the right spot.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 12:35
This one of the best threads, I've read in a while. I'm surprised that it took so long for Weathercarrot to be named. But L.Wolf put his name at the right spot.

he's hiked a ton of miles and done a ton of trail work. nobody comes close to him

cheflovesbeer
01-13-2008, 12:40
he's hiked a ton of miles and done a ton of trail work. nobody comes close to him
I agree

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2008, 20:33
can you guess the iron hiker between iron mt. gap and the nolichucky river............................................. ............................................... miss j's dog-fabien the fastest too. doesnt bitch,does what ya tell him. id kill for that kind of hiking partner.

spittinpigeon
01-13-2008, 21:15
can you guess the iron hiker between iron mt. gap and the nolichucky river............................................. ............................................... miss j's dog-fabien the fastest too. doesnt bitch,does what ya tell him. id kill for that kind of hiking partner.

He wasn't faster than me.

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2008, 21:36
so fabien finished second right behind you.your both fast...but you hiked 19.0 miles fabien ran 38.0 miles caught 5 deer, blue blazed every lookout, seen more- did more in the first ten minutes than you did all day.he let you win and then finished a close second to make you look responsible when fabien knows damb well he showed you the way, so you wouldnt get lost...

spittinpigeon
01-13-2008, 21:44
Lol, take it easy. You're just partially right. I only had to call him off one deer carcass, he was chewing on the ribs. He was picked up halfway through too. ;)

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2008, 21:51
i remember him before miss j let him day hike, he sure loves the trail. sometimes he listens. always knows to come home.

slow
01-14-2008, 02:48
We will see a stud try on may 1.
I think he may do it in 36 we will see?

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 06:39
We wiill see a wannabe stud fail by the end of the day on may 1
I think he won't even show up to begin

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2008, 14:58
My one post on this thread got lost when we were hacked a few days ago.

The most impresssive hiker I've ever run into on the Trail was Fiddlehead, who posts here now and again.

The strongest woman hiker I ever knew was my friend Yahoola ('97) who went from Hot Springs to Damascus in a week (that's like 7 back-to-back
25's!) in order to catch up with some friends. She was a hiking machine.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 15:02
Who is the AT Iron Man? GatorGump :D

rafe
01-14-2008, 15:04
Who is the AT Iron Man? GatorGump :D

Demonstrating once again that moderators make the best trolls. :rolleyes:

Marta
01-14-2008, 15:08
The hiker who probably made the biggest impression on me as a tough guy was Ole Man. It's not necessarily what you do in the absolute, but what you do with the hand you're dealt. He courage and persistence in hiking with the injuries he's carried all his adult life are phenomenal. Hats off to Ole Man!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 15:10
Demonstrating once again that moderators make the best trolls. :rolleyes:No way, if I'd wanted to troll I would have said "Wingfoot" or "Warren Doyle"

The hiker who probably made the biggest impression on me as a tough guy was Ole Man. It's not necessarily what you do in the absolute, but what you do with the hand you're dealt. He courage and persistence in hiking with the injuries he's carried all his adult life are phenomenal. Hats off to Ole Man!**** Threadjack ****
Any idea how I could contact this hiker?
**** End Threadjack ****

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 15:12
Demonstrating once again that moderators make the best trolls. :rolleyes:

Demonstrating once again that turtles are humorless :rolleyes:

Marta
01-14-2008, 15:24
**** Threadjack ****
Any idea how I could contact this hiker?
**** End Threadjack ****

Ole Man and Navigator own the hostel in Millinocket.

Roland
01-14-2008, 19:38
I am an Iron Man

.........................and I have rust in my shorts, to prove it!

Mags
01-14-2008, 19:47
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/

May be too heavy to wear while hiking...

Squeaky 2
01-15-2008, 17:52
just a quick post on the cowboy saga. starting may 1st will be his biggest challenge. if he does maintain his pace he will be up in the snow mud and blow downs up north in no time. trail maintainence or lack of it at that time of year and 72 miles dont go hand in hand.

A-Train
01-15-2008, 17:53
just a quick post on the cowboy saga. starting may 1st will be his biggest challenge. if he does maintain his pace he will be up in the snow mud and blow downs up north in no time. trail maintainence or lack of it at that time of year and 72 miles dont go hand in hand.

Yeah, if he were really serious he'd be best to do it in September, IMO

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 18:07
don't matter when or if he starts. it can't be done

yappy
01-15-2008, 18:08
i agree jack.. fiddlehead is a powerhouse. he was super strong on the pct too. some great times hiking with him..:).. the do badders !!.. ahh, the good old days.

slow
01-15-2008, 19:40
Can't is for people with no drive.
I wonder why they have underdogs... BUT THEY WIN?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 19:45
Ole Man and Navigator own the hostel in Millinocket.Thank you.

Skidsteer
01-15-2008, 19:46

Cowboy isn't an underdog.

He's looney. There's a difference.

ed bell
01-15-2008, 20:04
I can't walk the entire AT, unsupported in 50 days. I have no drive? Give me a break.:rolleyes: Are you saying you can flap your arms and fly with enough drive? Underdogs are real, and I get your point. Calling someone who aspires to walk 74+ miles with a pack every day for 30 days with no help an underdog is delusional.

slow
01-15-2008, 20:12
I can't walk the entire AT, unsupported in 50 days. I have no drive? Give me a break.:rolleyes: Are you saying you can flap your arms and fly with enough drive? Underdogs are real, and I get your point. Calling someone who aspires to walk 74+ miles with a pack every day for 30 days with no help an underdog is delusional.

He or somebody will DO it in time ...FACT.

I say it will be done soon.:)

slow
01-15-2008, 20:20
Just for the mark i said 36.

I think the hiker WARD did 39?

CrumbSnatcher
01-15-2008, 20:27
crumbsnatcher ga/me 09' 68 days NEBRASKA RESIDENT A.T. SPEED RECORD unassited.

Skidsteer
01-15-2008, 20:33

Nobody has done it in 39 days. Supported or unsupported.

The Old Fhart
01-15-2008, 20:37
Slow-"I think the hiker WARD did 39?"I believe it was about 60 days(the current record is about 45-47). When Ward past me in PA he was writing "day 27 1/5" or whatever in the registers to keep track.

slow
01-15-2008, 20:39
It will be DONE.:)

Skidsteer
01-15-2008, 20:42
It will be DONE.:)

Not in your lifetime.

You do know that we're talking about sub 30 days unsupported?

ed bell
01-15-2008, 20:43
He or somebody will DO it in time ...FACT.

I say it will be done soon.:)Flying by flapping your arms?:) How about a 1 minute mile, or a 20 ft. high jump? :D

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 20:44

ward 60
your boy 0 :):sun:D:banana

The Old Fhart
01-15-2008, 20:45
Slow-"It will be DONE.:)"Whoever does it in under 40 days will have to do it the same way I did when I smashed the record: I-81. :D

slow
01-15-2008, 20:52
Flying by flapping your arms?:) How about a 1 minute mile, or a 20 ft. high jump? :D

ED ,you have to be a nice guy...funny as sh..t.:)

Kirby
01-15-2008, 20:55
I sure could use that popcorn smiley right now.

Kirby

slow
01-15-2008, 20:58
ward 60
your boy 0 :):sun:D:banana

Ward 60...o.k.

That's a lite ...for what is to come.:)

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 21:00
SLOW is the name of the game :D

Kirby
01-15-2008, 21:02
Well, since we are going for records, Wolf, I am starting the 1st of March, I should be in Damascus for dinner, I'll look for ya at Dot's.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
01-15-2008, 21:05
You're underage, aren't you?

Well, in a pinch, maybe Wolf could pass as your dad! :eek:

Blissful
01-15-2008, 21:05
I think anyone who has hiked the AT should be in the Iron Man or as I call myself, Iron Mama group. The AT is tough, challenging stuff. Not for the faint of heart.

So to those who have completed it...WAY TO GO!! You're made of iron in my eyes.

And to those who are beginning your adventure in 2008 and beyond - GO FOR IT!! The experience will change your life.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 21:08
Well, since we are going for records, Wolf, I am starting the 1st of March, I should be in Damascus for dinner, I'll look for ya at Dot's.

Kirby

i bought minnesotasmith an ice tea and dinner. i'll buy you the same.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 21:09
I think anyone who has hiked the AT should be in the Iron Man or as I call myself, Iron Mama group. The AT is tough, challenging stuff. Not for the faint of heart.

So to those who have completed it...WAY TO GO!! You're made of iron in my eyes.

And to those who are beginning your adventure in 2008 and beyond - GO FOR IT!! The experience will change your life.

you always bring things back to earth. quit ruining my fun. :)

Sissygirl
01-15-2008, 21:10
I slack packed the first part of GA, but I do not consider myself a slacker. I don't apologize for doing it that way and I will surely do more of it.

Kirby
01-15-2008, 21:14
You're underage, aren't you?

Well, in a pinch, maybe Wolf could pass as your dad! :eek:

Is Dot's 21 or older?

Yes, I am underage, not 21 or 18, and won't be on trail. I will be 17 when I roll into Damascus, I turn 17 13 days into the trip.

Kirby

slow
01-15-2008, 21:14
SLOW is the name of the game :D

Well 60 will be slow in a short time.:D

ed bell
01-15-2008, 21:15
ED ,you have to be a nice guy...funny as sh..t.:)Well, I've been called worse.;) Not trying to twist the knife on you, but you gotta admit that at some point ANY record of achievement has a limit.

Marta
01-15-2008, 21:18
Whenever Lance Armstrong was asked, "Who do you think will come in second, after you, in the Tour?" he'd say something along the lines of, "I haven't won it yet, and winning is by no means a sure thing."

Jack Tarlin
01-15-2008, 21:26
Lance Armstrong??!!

Hah.

The bike does all the work. Never mind the guys acting as windbreaks just in front of him.

Let's see him do 7 straight thrus instead 7 Tours and then we can talk about it! :D

Marta
01-15-2008, 21:32
Lance Armstrong??!!

Hah.

The bike does all the work. Never mind the guys acting as windbreaks just in front of him.

Let's see him do 7 straight thrus instead 7 Tours and then we can talk about it! :D

Thru-hiking would indeed be quite a change for Lance--unless his team chiropractor and massage therapist travelled with him. And the team chef.

slow
01-15-2008, 21:35
If he beat's all then what?
Let's face it ...it will happen some day.
Ward will still stay on top ,for the old but not for the new.

Kirby
01-15-2008, 21:36
If he beat's all then what?
Let's face it ...it will happen some day.
Ward will still stay on top ,for the old but not for the new.

Give it a rest, he is not hiking 75+ miles a day for 30 days, especially not in NH and ME.

Kirby

slow
01-15-2008, 21:41
Give it a rest, he is not hiking 75+ miles a day for 30 days, especially not in NH and ME.

Kirby

Kirby... have a good walk.:)

CaseyB
01-15-2008, 21:56
Is Dot's 21 or older?

Yes, I am underage, not 21 or 18, and won't be on trail. I will be 17 when I roll into Damascus, I turn 17 13 days into the trip.

Kirby
You can eat all you want at Dot's. NO BEER FOR YOU!!!:eek::)

slow
01-15-2008, 21:57
the steroids help too. although hangin' with that dyke sheryl ho lib bitch didn't help his performance

Funny in all sports... when old thinking comes into play.

Why not just say they are getting BETTER over all?

Kirby
01-15-2008, 22:01
You can eat all you want at Dot's. NO BEER FOR YOU!!!:eek::)

You will be happy to hear that I do not participate in, nor support the use of, any substance that is, under the law, considered to be illegal either by age limit or in general.

Thread hijack over.

Kirby

mrc237
01-15-2008, 22:40
Lance Armstrong??!!

Hah.

Lance just did a sub 3hr(?) NYC marathon

A-Train
01-15-2008, 23:12
Lance Armstrong??!!

Hah.

Based on Lance's excellent time in recent marathons and his results from the Tour (steriods/cancer or not) I'd say he'd have absolutely no problems completing a thru-hike, or 7 consecutive. Doesn't take much of an athlete to walk 12 miles a day for 6 months, but then again, he might not have the mental fortitude:)

Alligator
01-15-2008, 23:17
Based on Lance's excellent time in recent marathons and his results from the Tour (steriods/cancer or not) I'd say he'd have absolutely no problems completing a thru-hike, or 7 consecutive. Doesn't take much of an athlete to walk 12 miles a day for 6 months, but then again, he might not have the mental fortitude:)He might not have the cojones:eek:;).

Skidsteer
01-15-2008, 23:26
He might not have the cojones:eek:;).

Now that was funny. :D

Brutal, but funny. :eek:

ed bell
01-15-2008, 23:49
Funny in all sports... when old thinking comes into play.

Why not just say they are getting BETTER over all?What is the ceiling? Cut out the "it WILL happen" talk. What is the best possible outcome?
Take the 100 meters. The record now is somewhere between 9.7 to 9.9 sec. The record has improved quite a bit in my life, but there is a point where the human body reaches it's limit. Is a 5 second 100 possible? No.
9 seconds flat? Not in this lifetime, or possibly ever. How about the AT? 47 days with support is damn quick. 60 days unsupported is unreal.

jersey joe
01-16-2008, 16:22
A sub 40 supported hike will probably be done. Breaking 40 is likely the ceiling too.

Squeaky 2
01-17-2008, 14:36
I had to average 34 miles a day leaving new hampshire on november 10th to reach springer before dec 31st. i got there dec 29th. it was a hard cold winter with alot of snow, postholing alot. so 60 days in the summer will get smashed by someone. i am sure the right person with a well scheduled resuply could break the supported record unsupported.

DuctTape
01-17-2008, 15:09
Remember, the AT gets longer year...

DuctTape
01-17-2008, 15:10
Every year. It gets longer every year.

jersey joe
01-17-2008, 15:12
i am sure the right person with a well scheduled resuply could break the supported record unsupported.

I think so too Squeaky.

slow
01-17-2008, 18:47
What is the ceiling? Cut out the "it WILL happen" talk. What is the best possible outcome?
Take the 100 meters. The record now is somewhere between 9.7 to 9.9 sec. The record has improved quite a bit in my life, but there is a point where the human body reaches it's limit. Is a 5 second 100 possible? No.
9 seconds flat? Not in this lifetime, or possibly ever. How about the AT? 47 days with support is damn quick. 60 days unsupported is unreal.

ED,that 9sec will be done ,just like the 47-60....fact.

More people doing both and in better shape than before.It's a #'s game.:)

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 22:38
Forget all the above mentioned posers. Baltimore Jack is the REAL Ironman. Hear me out....

What above mentioned hiker smokes/drinks on the way up a mountain ? What above mentioned hiker weighs anything close to Jack ? What above mentioned hiker has a pack that weighs more than a girls purse ? Jacks pack weighs half of the above mentioned hikers. What above mentioned hiker has 7freaking thru's. COMPLETE thru's people...not those mile skippers.

Jack has my vote. NOT that there aren't others who are ironman hikers but when i think of ironman hikers i don't think of hikers built like teenage girls with day packs. Those are simply speed walkers going offroad. :sun

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 22:40
you're beautiful, dew! :D

ed bell
01-17-2008, 22:53
ED,that 9sec will be done ,just like the 47-60....fact.

More people doing both and in better shape than before.It's a #'s game.:).05 seconds at a time? 9.74 to 9 flat? Doubt it. Wager? :sunNice try.

slow
01-17-2008, 23:01
Forget all the above mentioned posers. Baltimore Jack is the REAL Ironman. Hear me out....

What above mentioned hiker smokes/drinks on the way up a mountain ? What above mentioned hiker weighs anything close to Jack ? What above mentioned hiker has a pack that weighs more than a girls purse ? Jacks pack weighs half of the above mentioned hikers. What above mentioned hiker has 7freaking thru's. COMPLETE thru's people...not those mile skippers.

Jack has my vote. NOT that there aren't others who are ironman hikers but when i think of ironman hikers i don't think of hikers built like teenage girls with day packs. Those are simply speed walkers going offroad. :sun

So he drink's and smokes with a load...big deal?

Not to take away from him at all.

Many will come after him and do the same ...but better.:)

A-Train
01-17-2008, 23:05

It's a good thing you don't let bias cloud your views:)

slow
01-17-2008, 23:09
.05 seconds at a time? 9.74 to 9 flat? Doubt it. Wager? :sunNice try.

We will see it happen.:)

ed bell
01-17-2008, 23:12
Forget all the above mentioned posers. Damn, ever tried the subtle approach? :rolleyes:

Mountain Dew
Slow, can you name another hiker who smokes uphill while hiking, drinks like Jack, carries a pack of that size that has done what he's done ? Have you ever even met the man ? Name the person. If you can't than it's a "big deal". If you can't ..well.... I'd love to hear who you consider an Ironman. I bet they wear ultralight underwear and have car support. lol

Others may come after him and do the same but, I doubt it...who is out there now or in the past that you can compare to him ? And none will do it better. Get that straight. lol :banana

Lone Wolf
to know him is to love him. :D

ed bell
01-17-2008, 23:13
We will see it happen.:) 8 flat?:-?:p

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 23:13
Slow, can you name another hiker who smokes uphill while hiking, drinks like Jack, carries a pack of that size that has done what he's done ? Have you ever even met the man ? Name the person. If you can't than it's a "big deal". If you can't ..well.... I'd love to hear who you consider an Ironman. I bet they wear ultralight underwear and have car support. lol

Others may come after him and do the same but, I doubt it...who is out there now or in the past that you can compare to him ? And none will do it better. Get that straight. lol :banana

BTW, he's quit smoking

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 23:14
Ed, I suck at subtle actually. I wasn't dead serious with my first post either. It might have come across as 100% serious....well he is the ultimate ironman but i know there are others. :)

warren doyle
01-17-2008, 23:14
No unsupported hiker will break Andrew Thompson's supported AT record.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 23:15

.yup. that's a no brainer

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 23:16
Bias ? hhmm ofcourse I'm biased. Aren't we all. Atleast I'm right. lol

ed bell
01-17-2008, 23:19
Ed, I suck at subtle actually. I wasn't dead serious with my first post either. It might have come across as 100% serious....well he is the ultimate ironman but i know there are others. :)I was ribbin' you. I hear you.:D

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 23:20
Who is Andrew Thompson and what did he do ? I'm thinking he did a speed hike of the A.T. .......

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 23:22
Who is Andrew Thompson and what did he do ? I'm thinking he did a speed hike of the A.T. .......

correct. 47+ days

OregonHiker
01-17-2008, 23:29

"Records were made to be broken" -- Barry Bonds

slow
01-17-2008, 23:32

That is your IMO...fine.

They will come and be better in IMO.:)

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 23:32
Oregonhiker..... Barry also consumes very large amounts of steroids and HGH's. BUT...I get your point.

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 23:35
Everybody's opinion is entitled to be uneducated and wrong. Especially here on WB. lol.... hahaa ;)

Mountain Dew
01-17-2008, 23:41
So let me get this straight ( after looking up a few facts and doing some math here). Andrew Thompson claims to have thru-hiked every mile of the A.T. unsupported in 47 days ? That's roughly 46 miles per day. That's 3 mph for 16 hours per day not including stops to eat, resupply, sleep, and use the privy.

I'm calling Bullfeces......

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 23:42
he did it SUPPORTED

Kirby
01-17-2008, 23:43
So let me get this straight ( after looking up a few facts and doing some math here). Andrew Thompson claims to have thru-hiked every mile of the A.T. unsupported in 47 days ? That's roughly 46 miles per day. That's 3 mph for 16 hours per day not including stops to eat, resupply, sleep, and use the privy.

I'm calling Bullfeces......

I believe that was supported.

Kirby

slow
01-17-2008, 23:45
Just joking.....opionion's well?
Facts well?:)

A-Train
01-17-2008, 23:45
I believe that was supported.

Kirby

Correct Kirby. Unsupported "record" is Ward Leonard at 60 days.

OregonHiker
01-17-2008, 23:46
Oregonhiker..... Barry also consumes very large amounts of steroids and HGH's. BUT...I get your point.

Allegedly :)

Skidsteer
01-17-2008, 23:59
Allegedly :)

About in the same way that a bear allegedly ****s in the woods. :)

OregonHiker
01-18-2008, 00:09

I thought they used the privies?

Tin Man
01-18-2008, 08:04
Any hiker who hikes a few miles on the AT and comes back to hike another day is an Iron Man/Person too. :)

Nearly Normal
01-19-2008, 07:06
Ozzie is the Iron Man

Crash! Bang!
01-19-2008, 07:47
Isn't there a clear cut record holder?

there could be, if you asked a clear cut question. the phrase "overly supported hikes" is quite subjective. i slack-packed just a couple of times, got a few mail drops, hitchhiked into town and got dropped off at the far end of a road-walk, and had to make up 2 states immediately after summiting katahdin because i had skipped them earlier to remain on schedule. i missed portions of road-walk here and there, blue-blazed here and there (sometimes adding to mileage and difficulty), and sometimes just lost the trail briefly. by purist standards, i didnt thru-hike, altho i had probaby done 99.5 percent of the trail. but i think the hiker would say i did. some ppl missed even more of the trail, but i considered them thru's

so, if you want a clear cut answer, youre gonna have to ask a more clear cut question:sun

Crash! Bang!
01-19-2008, 08:22
but i think the hiker would say i did

oops. i meant to say "i think the typical hiker would say i did"

why cant i edit my posts?:mad:

nitewalker
01-19-2008, 09:30

bears dont sheet in the woods they sheet in the road and kick it back into the woods..you didnt know that...:eek:

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 16:20
Damn, what a funny thread this has gotten to be.

First off, a tip of the hat to my old hiking partner Mountain Dew, who has certainly seen me at my best and worst.

His comments above were much too kind.

Two quick memories.....there was that afternoon in New York where I drained around 20 ounces of Gatorade, only to finish off the Nalgene and only THEN discover that I had a very large, and very dead slug in my mouth. ( I shoulda realized that Gatorade shouldn't ever feel "chewy.")

Mr. Iron Man then proceeded to projectile vomit all over the Trail.

While Dew filmed it.

The other time was near Guillotine Rock in Virginia and I managed to do a triple somersault (with a 60 pound Osprey by the way), and cut my palm to the bone. Debriding an open wound; stuffing fat back into your hand, pouring bourbon on it, and wrapping it up with a dirty ace bandage you just took off your knee is not a fun way to spend a June afternoon. At least I had plenty of cigarettes.

I seem to remember Dew filmed that one,too, but the shots weren't that great because the bastard was laughing too hard.

The effort to perform some left-handed Rambo self-stitchery a day later was also not a happy moment. I never could sew. Geez, I think you could hear me yelling in the next county.

But in retrospect, the Iron people on the Trail that stand out the most over the years were people like Yahoola; Kampfire; Time 2 Fly; Meant 2 Be; Blister Sister; Funkee Munkee; Emma; Big Bird; Jester 2000, and Mountain Dew.

These were some of my hiking partners, God help them, and for putting up with me, in some cases for 1600 miles or more, they proved to be more iron than I'll ever live to be.

Bearpaw
01-19-2008, 16:34
Mr. Iron Man then proceeded to projectile vomit all over the Trail.

While Dew filmed it.

Jack, weren't there plenty of cameras present when you spewed after the incident at the Doyle Hotel? Not a drinking incident, but when you had the misfortune to discover the dead bloated body nextdoor back in 99? And you then had to run back inside to get your hiking stick after they had opened his door and the stench filled the whole building.......

Probably a memory you'd rather forget, but when you've heard the story from you AND a number of eyewitnesses, it takes on mythic proportion.

Then the next day when, at the campground, you accidentally downed a mouthful of cherry-flavored coleman? I felt so bad hearing you explain how all you really needed was a cigarette, but didn't dare............

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 16:46
In the interest of accuracy:

1. There weren't THAT many actual witnesses to the spewage at the Doyle.
Certainly no more than ninety.

2. The Coleman I drank wasn't cherry-flavored. It was in a Sprite bottle so
it looked OK. Moral of story is ask your partner before downing his Sprite.

emerald
01-19-2008, 16:54
Someone must have blown-off the OSHA meeting when labelling bottles that have been refilled was discussed!:rolleyes: Either that or someone thought relabelling bottles was something other people should do.;):D

Bearpaw
01-19-2008, 17:00
In the interest of accuracy:

1. There weren't THAT many actual witnesses to the spewage at the Doyle.
Certainly no more than ninety.

2. The Coleman I drank wasn't cherry-flavored. It was in a Sprite bottle so
it looked OK. Moral of story is ask your partner before downing his Sprite.

Jack, you know I'm not one to laugh at the misfortune of others, but MAN!! it was funny then and it's still funny now http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/005.gif

Bless you for all you put up with.:D

CrumbSnatcher
01-22-2008, 19:31
heald and annie the wonder dog. they hike to hike. not to gloat. always helpful always cheerful.would give the shirt off his back,to help other hikers to reach thier goal-a true iron dueo...

Mountain Dew
01-22-2008, 19:39
I totally disagree