PDA

View Full Version : Name the multiple uses for your SUL gear!!

The Doctor
01-10-2008, 00:13
So alot of people have switched to SUL and I have been trying to do the same. So what items do you SUL'ers use and how do they function for multiple uses? Any help w/ my gear would be great.

Gear I use:
-2qty. Tyvek 5'X10' for ground sheet and tarp
-1 liter nalgene
-Coke Can stove w/ necessary Ethanol
-Lightweight cook pot(barely holds 2 cups)
-2 liter camel back for extra water
-Headlamp
-50' lightweight string
-Biodegradable Wet Wipes
-First Aid Kit (only w/ necessities)
-Minimal Clothes for weather
-A book for pleasure
-Food(lunch meats for 1st few days, dried noodles and packaged meats, some fruits/vegetables)
-Small Knife
-Toothbush, Small Bottle Toothpaste
-Bandana
-Sleeping Bag (Big One, I know I need to reduce weight on this one)
-3 Water proof stuff sacks(lightweight)
-Foldable Foam Sleeping pad(barely covers shoulders and hips)
-SD rain jacket
-Stuff sack and straps to hold sleeping bag to pack
-External frame pack(pleae don't rag me to hard on this one but I love my Kelty trekker).

Any Ideas?

Lone Wolf
01-10-2008, 00:15
Sul?......

ScottP
01-10-2008, 00:17
enjoy hiking with that setup

ScottP
01-10-2008, 00:17
Super Ultra Light

Jim Adams
01-10-2008, 00:18
nothing wrong with the external...comfortable and light.

geek

A-Train
01-10-2008, 00:21
Super ultralite?

I'm no expert on ultra light gear. My base weight was hovering around 15 lbs on the PCT this summer.

Ditch the Nalgene, get a Gatorade bottle. You could lose many pounds by switching to a lightweight sil nylon internal frame pack.
Ditch the knife, rip cheese with your fingers. You don't really need cord to hang food (others may disagree), frogg toggs rain coat, etc.

Demortor
01-10-2008, 00:28
Nothin wrong with a Kelty Trekker. I use one myself!

The Doctor
01-10-2008, 00:28
enjoy hiking with that setup

Yeah I do, but I would still prefer more comfort w/ less weight

River Runner
01-10-2008, 03:04
So alot of people have switched to SUL and I have been trying to do the same. So what items do you SUL'ers use and how do they function for multiple uses? Any help w/ my gear would be great.

Gear I use:
-1 liter nalgene
-Headlamp
-50' lightweight string
-Biodegradable Wet Wipes
-A book for pleasure
-Food(lunch meats for 1st few days, dried noodles and packaged meats, some fruits/vegetables)
-Small Knife
-Bandana
-SD rain jacket
-External frame pack(pleae don't rag me to hard on this one but I love my Kelty trekker).

Any Ideas?

You aren't even close to SUL with that list. SUL is 5 lb or less base weight. Go check out backpackinglight.com. Nalgenes, camelbacks, and books don't make the list.

Ghost93
01-12-2008, 18:42
Ditch the knife, rip cheese with your fingers.

Why ditch a small knife. It's the most multi-use item you can carry. Sure Ill grant you that a 7" bowie isn't nessary, but a folding knife say in the 3.5-2.5 inch range is more than woth its weight in gold. JMO I guess, but I'll always carry a blade of some sort no matter what. YMMV.

The Doctor
01-12-2008, 23:16
In regards to my new list of items to bring on the next hike:
(1) 5'X10' Tyvek to function as Bivy/Groundtarp/Tarp
(1) 2 liter hydration bladder
(1) 1.5 lbs down 32* sleeping bag
(1) Lightweight Headlamp (for night hiking)
(1) Soda Can Stove w/ 4oz. fuel (for 2 nights out)
(1) Folded 1/4 roll toilet paper
(1) lightweight 2cup pot for cooking
(1) lightweight bendable aluminum spoon
(1) 3oz. waterproof stuffsack turned into a backpack to hold gear

estimated base weight (w/o food or water): ~6lbs

Is this enough gear to survive comfortably in the warmer georgia nights of spring/summer?

Any suggestions to add or remove?

scavenger
01-12-2008, 23:36
Is this enough gear to survive comfortably in the warmer georgia nights of spring/summer?

That really depends on what part of Georgia youre in, as in what elevation. And ditch that toilet paper, you can save like 10 grams!

The Doctor
01-12-2008, 23:44
That really depends on what part of Georgia youre in, as in what elevation. And ditch that toilet paper, you can save like 10 grams!

Sorry but the TP is an integral part of day:banana

hopefulhiker
01-12-2008, 23:56
mapdana used for map,data, head band, pot holder, dish rag, hat, water strainer, towel, and place mat.

Sgt Rock's Coffee cup.. food rehydrator, dipper, cup, food storage.

small foam pad, padding for electronics, seat pad, food prep pad, pillow, used in between bony knees to sleep with

luxury lite pack cylinder, back pack and strung up as food bag, pillow or foot rest..

leki poles, tent poles.

clothes bag used as pillow

platypus/ pillow.

pack cylinders used as insulation sleep padding.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 00:01
In regards to my new list of items to bring on the next hike:
(1) 5'X10' Tyvek to function as Bivy/Groundtarp/Tarp
(1) 2 liter hydration bladder
(1) 1.5 lbs down 32* sleeping bag
(1) Lightweight Headlamp (for night hiking)
(1) Soda Can Stove w/ 4oz. fuel (for 2 nights out)
(1) Folded 1/4 roll toilet paper
(1) lightweight 2cup pot for cooking
(1) lightweight bendable aluminum spoon
(1) 3oz. waterproof stuffsack turned into a backpack to hold gear

estimated base weight (w/o food or water): ~6lbs

I'd say you need a sleeping pad to be comfortable. I'm not sure how the 5 x 10 Tyvek is working for a tarp, ground cloth, and bivy all at once, but other than that unless it is a cold snap, I'd say it's looking good.

Most in the SUL category go with something like a Photon or other small light instead of a headlamp and are using recycled gatoraide (or similar) for water bottles instead of having the weight of a hose/bite valve though.

But if you are happy with the gear that's all that's really important. Being 5 lb or 6 lb isn't all that much of a difference.

The Doctor
01-13-2008, 00:26
I'd say you need a sleeping pad to be comfortable. I'm not sure how the 5 x 10 Tyvek is working for a tarp, ground cloth, and bivy all at once, but other than that unless it is a cold snap, I'd say it's looking good.

Most in the SUL category go with something like a Photon or other small light instead of a headlamp and are using recycled gatoraide (or similar) for water bottles instead of having the weight of a hose/bite valve though.

But if you are happy with the gear that's all that's really important. Being 5 lb or 6 lb isn't all that much of a difference.

The Tyvek 5'X10' will be used as a groundcloth(oversized). If it starts raining I can fold the extra 3.5' of tyvek up over my legs and then fold the tyvek over my body to form a ghetto bivy(this will remove the need for a tarp all together.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 00:30
The Tyvek 5'X10' will be used as a groundcloth(oversized). If it starts raining I can fold the extra 3.5' of tyvek up over my legs and then fold the tyvek over my body to form a ghetto bivy(this will remove the need for a tarp all together.

Then I'd say you probably need a tarp too. Just in case the weather is cold and rainy. I know I wouldn't want to rely on folding 5' of Tyvek over to keep me dry.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 00:33
Then I'd say you probably need a tarp too. Just in case the weather is cold and rainy. I know I wouldn't want to rely on folding 5' of Tyvek over to keep me dry.

Oh, and some sort of raingear too. A poncho tarp might work, but a little iffy when significant rain is expected.

Dogwood
01-13-2008, 05:39
Sounds like U are planning on getting wet and/or cold and/or uncomfortable with the ghetto bivy set-up U mention. U might want to consider a SUL waterproof bivy by itself(as low as 7-8 oz.) in place of a 5'x10' 5 oz.(may even be a bit heavier depending on exact size and type of Tyvek) piece of Tyvek. U don't say exactly where in GA Mnts. you'll be hiking. In some places, like along the AT, U can hike from shelter to shelter and totally forego bringing a shelter. Another, and customary way to tarp is to utilize a Solo sized SUL tarp(some as low as 4 oz) and a smaller piece(say 24"x 72") piece of Tyvek as a groundcloth. Yet another viable SUL shelter option is a poncho/tarp(if U do this U can Ditch the SD rain jacket). Ditch the $8 3oz. Nalgene , go with a plastic Gatorade or soda bottle. A Platypus water bladder is more compressible, lighter, and less expensive than a camel back, and it can easily be converted to a hydration system. Leave the wet wipes and TP at home. Be like a bear. Their will be lots of leaves on trees in the GA Mnts in late spring/summer. Small knife is fine just beware of heavy(5oz. or more) knives and multi tools. I never did find it nesessary for a hiking knife to have a corkscrew, collapsable scissors, 3 different sizes and types of screwdivers, a pair of pliers, plus a host of other McGyver like gadgets U rarely or never use. U don't say how long or how far U are going hiking. The 3 oz stuff sack converted into a backpack may get uncomfortable and not be very durable, but it may work for U for a short duration. The place for the biggest wt. reduction is in your choice of backpacks. Too many SUL alternatives to list here, but for some solid options consult the backpack comparison forum/chart at this site. If you're on a tight budget check gear forums for people selling good used gear cheaply or willing to swap gear. Totally personal choice, but most SUL'ers would not take a book because most don't want the added wt. and they tend to hike long hours so there is a lot less time to read than U might initially think. Might consider lite wt. sleeping pad. Does it really matter what your wt. is if U wake up with your body feeling like U have been mugged by Mike Tyson? Happy Hiking!

The Doctor
01-13-2008, 14:00
Sounds like U are planning on getting wet and/or cold and/or uncomfortable with the ghetto bivy set-up U mention. U might want to consider a SUL waterproof bivy by itself(as low as 7-8 oz.) in place of a 5'x10' 5 oz.(may even be a bit heavier depending on exact size and type of Tyvek) piece of Tyvek. U don't say exactly where in GA Mnts. you'll be hiking. In some places, like along the AT, U can hike from shelter to shelter and totally forego bringing a shelter. Another, and customary way to tarp is to utilize a Solo sized SUL tarp(some as low as 4 oz) and a smaller piece(say 24"x 72") piece of Tyvek as a groundcloth. Yet another viable SUL shelter option is a poncho/tarp(if U do this U can Ditch the SD rain jacket). Ditch the $8 3oz. Nalgene , go with a plastic Gatorade or soda bottle. A Platypus water bladder is more compressible, lighter, and less expensive than a camel back, and it can easily be converted to a hydration system. Leave the wet wipes and TP at home. Be like a bear. Their will be lots of leaves on trees in the GA Mnts in late spring/summer. Small knife is fine just beware of heavy(5oz. or more) knives and multi tools. I never did find it nesessary for a hiking knife to have a corkscrew, collapsable scissors, 3 different sizes and types of screwdivers, a pair of pliers, plus a host of other McGyver like gadgets U rarely or never use. U don't say how long or how far U are going hiking. The 3 oz stuff sack converted into a backpack may get uncomfortable and not be very durable, but it may work for U for a short duration. The place for the biggest wt. reduction is in your choice of backpacks. Too many SUL alternatives to list here, but for some solid options consult the backpack comparison forum/chart at this site. If you're on a tight budget check gear forums for people selling good used gear cheaply or willing to swap gear. Totally personal choice, but most SUL'ers would not take a book because most don't want the added wt. and they tend to hike long hours so there is a lot less time to read than U might initially think. Might consider lite wt. sleeping pad. Does it really matter what your wt. is if U wake up with your body feeling like U have been mugged by Mike Tyson? Happy Hiking!

Sorry, Ishould have been ore specific. I want to do go from
Maine to Ga with this setup. Ideally I will leave in Early August from Baxter and land home in Ga by late December. I wil try to wear the majority of my clothes and maybe carry and xtra pair of underpants, bandana and socks. I plan to resupply every 3rd day (due to small pack size). The 3oz. dry bag converted to a backpack will probably be slightly uncomfortable, but may plan is to disassemble an old school backpack and use the shoulder straps from that to make up the straps on the SUL pack. <--Has to be more comfortable than a 40lbs kelty trekker. Either way, I will probably ditch the heavy headlamp and shoot for a silnylon tarp with a smaller tyvek groundcloth(or SUL bivy). I will probably bring my cut down thermarest as well. Any thoughts on a better tent systems?

Footslogger
01-13-2008, 14:02
I'm waiting for the Ultra Super Ultra Light Revolution ...

'Slogger

River Runner
01-13-2008, 14:29
Sorry, Ishould have been ore specific. I want to do go from
Maine to Ga with this setup. Ideally I will leave in Early August from Baxter and land home in Ga by late December. I wil try to wear the majority of my clothes and maybe carry and xtra pair of underpants, bandana and socks. I plan to resupply every 3rd day (due to small pack size). The 3oz. dry bag converted to a backpack will probably be slightly uncomfortable, but may plan is to disassemble an old school backpack and use the shoulder straps from that to make up the straps on the SUL pack. <--Has to be more comfortable than a 40lbs kelty trekker. Either way, I will probably ditch the heavy headlamp and shoot for a silnylon tarp with a smaller tyvek groundcloth(or SUL bivy). I will probably bring my cut down thermarest as well. Any thoughts on a better tent systems?

You are going to need some insulating layers for the Whites, where it can snow even in summer. Really leaving at that time of year, you are going to need some insulating layers pretty much everywhere. It can get quite chilly in the Appalachian Mountains as early as Septemeber. By the end of October we saw temperatures in the 20's in southern North Carolina.

You cannot count on being able to resupply every 3 days in the more remote areas (100 mile wilderness) or without a long hitchhike in some areas (Smoky Mountains).

As far as the tarp/bivy or groundcloth setup, I would suggest going with the bivy. And make sure you practice sleeping near a bailout point in a few nasty storms. Although you can try to sleep mostly in shelters, hostels, etc. you don't want to find out your system doesn't work when you are stuck on the trail between shelters in a bad storm and really need to batten down right away. A four+ month trip is going to result in some bad weather at some point.

I would also be concerned about the durability of a stuff sack backpack for that length of time. It would probably be fine for a couple of weeks, but packs take a beating on a thru. You might look into some do-it -yourself pack patterns for something better designed than a stuff sack with recycled shoulder straps sewn on.

Colter
01-13-2008, 14:40
I'm all for going light for obvious reasons. Going super ultra light takes some solid experience to avoid trouble. It would be wise to thoroughly test out your setup before heading out on a long trail to avoid some very unpleasant surprises.

dessertrat
01-13-2008, 14:52
I go super super super super ultralight. I take only a space blanket, some twine, and a pair of fingernail clippers with me.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 14:54
I go super super super super ultralight. I take only a space blanket, some twine, and a pair of fingernail clippers with me.

Hey, you could save some weight with that setup by using a pair of the tiny scissors ripped from a Swiss Army knife instead of those heavy toenail clippers. :D

Froggy
01-13-2008, 16:02
If you rubbed your fingers and toenails on rocks you could leave the toenail clippers behind. Hike barefoot - that saves those darn shoes and socks.

My dog's toenails stay short automatically, with all the hiking he does.

Don't forget to include the weight of your credit card and driver's license!

River Runner
01-13-2008, 19:43
If you rubbed your fingers and toenails on rocks you could leave the toenail clippers behind. Hike barefoot - that saves those darn shoes and socks.

Good point Froggy. See that's what's so valuable about sharing information on the internet. All these practical weight saving ideas. :D

Ramble~On
01-14-2008, 15:11

Well...That sounds like a pretty good setup to me.
I go SSSSSSUL. I don't carry nailclippers or a knife...I bite toe/finger nails off and eat them to save on food weight. You don't mention what kind of twine or how much and I'd leave the space blanket at home except for the winter months...All I use is 1/10 of a snickers bar wrapper.

rafe
01-14-2008, 15:20
Well...That sounds like a pretty good setup to me.
I go SSSSSSUL. I don't carry nailclippers or a knife...I bite toe/finger nails off and eat them to save on food weight.

Cannibalism. The new SUL nutrition strategy. :D :eek: :p

whitefoot_hp
01-14-2008, 17:46

Gear I use:
-1 liter nalgene
-Headlamp
-50' lightweight string
-Biodegradable Wet Wipes
-A book for pleasure
-Small Knife
-Bandana
-SD rain jacket

Any Ideas?

use a poncho tarp combined with lite bivy. such as titanium goat bivy.
here, you will accomplish the following functions:
rainwear, pack cover, ground sheet, part of sleeping bag, other part a lite down quilt, shelter,

not bad.

envirodiver
01-14-2008, 18:01

You use Ethanol in your alcohol stove?

The Doctor
01-14-2008, 18:14
I'm all for going light for obvious reasons. Going super ultra light takes some solid experience to avoid trouble. It would be wise to thoroughly test out your setup before heading out on a long trail to avoid some very unpleasant surprises.

I'm gonna try this setup out this weekend in the Cohutta's with a few friends. If it sucks that bad then then i'm gonna hop in a tent with one of the ladies (although probably i'll say it sucks and use it as an excuse to hop in the tent anyways). Also, seeing as how i'm hiking wth a bunch of rookies I'll leave some alternate gear back at the car (~1 mile away).

whitefoot_hp
01-14-2008, 18:30
I'm waiting for the Ultra Super Ultra Light Revolution ...

'Slogger

this will be when one's gear and food expands out of a dime sized key chain in the year 3000

The Doctor
01-14-2008, 23:10
this will be when one's gear and food expands out of a dime sized key chain in the year 3000

Too late, i've already done it.

clured
01-15-2008, 10:23
Doc, consider leaving the stove and cooking gear at home. With a little creativity, eating cold can be easy and fun, and it certainly saves a huge amount of time puttering around in camp cooking things and cleaning dishes. I did the first 1500 miles or so of the AT without a stove, bought one because I was bored and wanted something to play with, carried it, never used it, and gave it away within 200 miles. Once you go stoveless, you get hooked on the simplicity and it seems like a huge hassle to cook.

rafe
01-15-2008, 11:26
Doc, consider leaving the stove and cooking gear at home. With a little creativity, eating cold can be easy and fun, and it certainly saves a huge amount of time puttering around in camp cooking things and cleaning dishes. I did the first 1500 miles or so of the AT without a stove, bought one because I was bored and wanted something to play with, carried it, never used it, and gave it away within 200 miles. Once you go stoveless, you get hooked on the simplicity and it seems like a huge hassle to cook.

Consider it... then consider that... oh.. about 98% of all thru hikers carry a stove. :D

dessertrat
01-15-2008, 11:59
Carrying a stove means you can carry more dehydrated or dry foods, which usually means a weight savings over a long distance.

Of course you could just take an aluminum can and put it in a campfire, and only take foods you can prepare with boiling water. Such as oatmeal and instant mashed potatoes, etc. That's probably the net lightest way to do it, but comes with the hassle of building a fire, etc., which is restricted in many places, and almost impossible in a heavy rain.

The Doctor
01-15-2008, 12:48
I'm a big boy and I like eating. I've tried eating cold foods before and it just seems to get bland after a while (nothing like a hot meal). Maybe i'll give it another try. What kinds of food would you recommend for 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners?