PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back White Blaze!

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 14:36
ATTroll and SGT Rock,

Thanks for all the hard work to restore and protect White Blaze.

Let the fun begin again. :)

Speer Carrier
01-12-2008, 14:37
Thanks ATTroll and Sgt. Rock for getting us back on line. We all appreciate the time and efforts you put in.

rafe
01-12-2008, 14:38
Woo hoo! Off to a fresh start... wouldn't that be nice. :sun

JAdk
01-12-2008, 14:38
WBWD Syndrome is over!! (WBWD = White Blaze WithDrawal)

The Weasel
01-12-2008, 14:39
.....Budweiser frogs
:arty: = :beer: + :ridinghor+ :fight: = the wonderful relationship between TW & JT[/QUOTE]

Yes!

Tin Man
Woo hoo! Off to a fresh start... wouldn't that be nice. :sun

Be careful with the word "fresh". :)

The Weasel
Now to get the smiley's to be allowed here!

TW

Skidsteer
01-12-2008, 14:40
Breathe. Breathe. Breeeathe.

It's gonna be OK. Whew!

Micky
01-12-2008, 14:40
I'm glad your back, I thought I was going to have to work today.

Smile
01-12-2008, 14:41
A job well done to the folks behind the scenes at WB!
I know you worked hard on this the past few days, and I feel I am safe to say that we all here are grateful for your effort and determination :)

Grinder
01-12-2008, 14:43
fast recovery gang!!

Good work!

And now for my hiking fix!!

Miles of Smiles
Tom

JAdk
01-12-2008, 14:44
I've been lurking here for almost 2 years, but I've never posted. After the site went down and I experienced such withdrawal symptoms, I pledged to officially join y'all with a post. It's SOOOOOO great to have WB back!! Yippee!!!

MOWGLI
01-12-2008, 14:49
I was thinking about hiking in Syria or Saudi Arabia, but I seem to have had a change of heart in the last few days. :rolleyes:

Howdy all! Looks like they put Humpty Dumpty back together again!

Grandma
01-12-2008, 14:54
I was starting to get the shakes. I actually had to work while at work. What a concept. :-?

Panzer1
01-12-2008, 14:54
I tried to log on to whiteblaze the other day and got a message that said "you've been hacked". Was that the problem with the site being down? Did anyone else get that message?

Panzer

The Weasel
01-12-2008, 14:56
I tried to log on to whiteblaze the other day and got a message that said "you've been hacked". Was that the problem with the site being down? Did anyone else get that message?

Panzer

Hacked? WhiteBlaze? No. Why do you ask?

TW

Grandma
01-12-2008, 14:57

Panzer

Someone in Saudia Arabia hacked the site. Rock decided to re-up, and went to battle for WB.

Next thing I know, everyone was addicted to smiley faces?????

Freeleo
01-12-2008, 15:00
the following is appearing at the top of the homepage....those darn internet terrorists

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1033

thanks for getting everything back up quickly...i was really missing my fix

Toolshed
Well..... I joined HikingHQ a year ago and finally made my first post there yesterday. Now can we get some of those smilie icons over here?????

Alligator
Appreciate the time and effort put into getting things fixed Rock, Troll, and Dixi. Thanks.

The Weasel
01-12-2008, 15:01
Well..... I joined HikingHQ a year ago and finally made my first post there yesterday. Now can we get some of those smilie icons over here?????

ALL of the smileys!!! See new poll, please!

TW

Tipi Walter
01-12-2008, 15:02

Yeah, I joined about four other backpacking forums since the shut-down. Now how am I gonna keep track of them all??

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 15:03
Yeah, I joined about four other backpacking forums since the shut-down. Now how am I gonna keep track of them all??

Not much to track on TP or HikingHQ. :(

Marta
01-12-2008, 15:05
Thanks, ATroll and Sgt. Rock!

Maybe my hands will stop shaking now...

bigboots
01-12-2008, 15:05
My girlfriend was concerned about my health for a while. She hadn't seen be away from a hiking forum for so long. Special thanks to the TP for being there for us all!

Bigboots

Kirby
01-12-2008, 15:06
:banana:banana:banana

Nice to see the site back up, because I actually have questions as my hike approaches.

Kirby

Marta
01-12-2008, 15:10
The trailhawk jerk who was crowing about the demise of Whiteblaze (because of the censorship!) over on TJ has now shown up on the PCT-L, with an inflamatory post about female hikers, of course. It wouldn't surprise me if he's lurking around here, too.

Kirby
01-12-2008, 15:12
The trailhawk jerk who was crowing about the demise of Whiteblaze (because of the censorship!) over on TJ has now shown up on the PCT-L, with an inflamatory post about female hikers, of course. It wouldn't surprise me if he's lurking around here, too.

He is an ass, this site has little censorship.

Kirby

Marta
01-12-2008, 15:15
He is an ass...

Kirby

There's enough "censorship" to keep me from using a more properly descriptive word for that person.;) "Ass" is too kind.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-12-2008, 15:22
::: Dino tries to remember where the delete key is after absence :D :::

Regarding the poster on TJ and elsewhere - premier sites always have detractors - it is just part of the Net's landscape. Such individuals generally ending up causing problems on whatever sites they visit so the comments about bashing female hikers on the PCT-L doesn't surprise me.

When 95+% of the people like the way a site is run, the site is being run well. It isn't possible to please 100% of the people here or anywhere on earth.

brotheral
01-12-2008, 15:22
Sure glad you're back up. Thanks for the hard work adminisrators !!Scared the h... out of me when I hit the tab and that wierd graphic came up. I'm fairly new at this computer thing. Cleared my cache and shut it down. Unplugged it too !! Ran all kinds of virus scans yesterday and backed up everything on external hard drive this morning....
I'm proud to be a member of this on-line community. It's been a good journey !!
Happy Trails to ALL.................BrotherAL

Roots
01-12-2008, 15:23

Yea, I liked those comments he made too!:mad:
Some people crave attention no matter how they have to get it...PATHETIC!

Thanks to for all the hard work on getting the site back up and running. I sure missed all you guys!:)

emerald
01-12-2008, 15:23
Pleased to see WhiteBlaze up again and so soon too!:)

Bulldawg
01-12-2008, 15:26
Wow, so glad the WB is back up. I actually had to get out for a hike this morning. Just getting back in.

dessertrat
01-12-2008, 15:27
Yay! Welcome back.

hopefulhiker
01-12-2008, 15:31
Thanks to the moderators for getting the site back up!

Kirby
01-12-2008, 15:34

That guy also posted on the AT-L, complete jerk.

Kirby

Bulldawg
01-12-2008, 15:38
Oh yeah, huge thank yous out to all who worked so hard getting us back up!!

Almost There
01-12-2008, 15:40
Great Job Admins!!!

Sly
01-12-2008, 15:40

Yeah, I just saw that and was going to post but besides being a azz he's also a troll. I'll let the women respond if they desire.

BR360
01-12-2008, 15:42
Thanks AT Troll, Sgt Rock and Dixicritter, and any others who contributed to getting WhiteBlaze back on the net.

Losing something you find valuable, only to get it back is great.

"There's no place like home...there's no place like home."

johnny quest
01-12-2008, 15:44
adding my thanks to the owners and moderators for getting it back up and running.

JimM
01-12-2008, 15:44
Well done! Thank you for your hard work.
Jim

WalkingStick75
01-12-2008, 15:54
Very fast recovery, Hats off to the Admin of WB. Did you have any luck in the IP logs tracking this AH down?

Ghosthiker
01-12-2008, 16:04
Glad to see it back, too. Thanks again to all of the hard work by the admin and mod staff.

Dances with Mice
01-12-2008, 16:25
Did the W-B outage help anybody else discover that there are all kinds of other sites on the Internet?

I never knew that before. I was amazed.

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 16:28
Did the W-B outage help anybody else discover that there are all kinds of other sites on the Internet?

I never knew that before. I was amazed.

Yup. And that there is only one White Blaze.

Bluez4u
01-12-2008, 16:31
Hello once again Whiteblaze.

StarLyte
01-12-2008, 16:35
I was thinking about hiking in Syria or Saudi Arabia, but I seem to have had a change of heart in the last few days. :rolleyes:

Howdy all! Looks like they put Humpty Dumpty back together again!

ha ha ha ha now that's funny.

Thank God I had a Whiteblaze icon on my task bar. There's no way I could have typed in that url that many times in the past few days.

Hello everyone....welcome back....even you two-faced people that spoke poorly about Whiteblaze on other forums :mad:

MOWGLI
01-12-2008, 16:40
ha ha ha ha now that's funny.

I'm glad SOMEBODY appreciates my wit. :)

Jan LiteShoe
01-12-2008, 16:49
Sure glad you're back up. Thanks for the hard work adminisrators !!Scared the h... out of me when I hit the tab and that wierd graphic came up. I'm fairly new at this computer thing. Cleared my cache and shut it down. Unplugged it too !! Ran all kinds of virus scans yesterday and backed up everything on external hard drive this morning....
I'm proud to be a member of this on-line community. It's been a good journey !!
Happy Trails to ALL.................BrotherAL

I'm not computer-savy at all.
Is all the above something that should be done?

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 16:49
I'm glad SOMEBODY appreciates my wit. :)

Wit? What wit? What wit all the hacking and slacking going on? ;)

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 16:51
I'm not computer-savy at all.
Is all the above something that should be done?

In general, you should have an up-to-date anti-virus, anti-spyware package running. If you do, you should be okay.

MOWGLI
01-12-2008, 16:52
Wit? What wit? What wit all the hacking and slacking going on? ;)

My wit is small. Call it nit wit. :sun

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 16:53

No need to nit pick. But a picnit would be good.

Jan LiteShoe
01-12-2008, 16:55

Wittless?
:)

maxNcathy
01-12-2008, 16:56
Thanks!!!

MOWGLI
01-12-2008, 16:56
Wittless?
:)

Do I sense a new trail name?

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 17:05
Do I sense a new trail name?

Nah. Sounds common. Try Lesswit or Witfree or Freewit.

bigmac_in
01-12-2008, 17:12
Great job getting back online so quickly !! It's good to have WB back - i had "internet lock", I didn't know where else to go......

MOWGLI
01-12-2008, 17:14
Nah. Sounds common. Try Lesswit or Witfree or Freewit.

My wit isn't free. It maybe less than some others, but it's hardly free. You all owe me - big time. :banana

Bearpaw
01-12-2008, 17:28
Ahhh.....

Whiteblaze is back.

Bearpaw is back to WhiteBlaze.

Continue with the party:banana...... er, discussion.....:cool:

All is well. :)

CrumbSnatcher
01-12-2008, 17:37
ive only been on white blaze for a few days, and dont know my way around a computer very well. but i dont think i crashed the site. miss j thinks its my fault...

tallfran
01-12-2008, 17:40
Thanks so much, everyone who helped bring Whiteblaze back! I was here when the site got hacked; went from a discussion about Soruck to the big black obscene hacked screen. Scared me too, but the computer seems to be operating the same as always.

Went to some of the other hiking sites, but that didn't take long. I was actually reduced to re-reading my own trail journal, LOL! (I can't get the icons to work anymore, is that a result of the hack?)

Glad to be back!

StarLyte
01-12-2008, 17:45
you GUYS you pulled me right in on this.....

GIT WID IT

oh geezus I'm signing off of WB and doing something a little more serious like licking ice cubes...

slow
01-12-2008, 17:47
Great job to to ALL.

Skidsteer
01-12-2008, 17:55
I had recently gotten a new laptop(screen fried on my old one)and had procrastinated downloading all the Microsoft updates.

Thursday evening I determined not to get on WB until the downloads were finished. Everything went very well and the process was over in no time so I proceeded to open my browser to catch up. Since WB is my Home page, the hack screen was the first thing I saw.

I'd like to formally apologize to Mr. Gates at this time for the unfortunate things I said about his Mother.

map man
01-12-2008, 18:09
Sgt. Rock, in his Jan. 11 entry over at trailjournals, credits ATTroll for getting the site up and going again. So thank you to all who put in the hard work of keeping WB running over the years, and most especially thanks, ATTroll, for your hard work these last days.

Edit: I see from a couple later posts that Sgt. Rock was a bit modest about his own contribution. Thanks to Sgt. Rock, too!

Jaybird62
01-12-2008, 18:27
Yeah!!!!! Speedy Service. Preciate it:clap

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 18:29
Sgt. Rock, in his Jan. 11 entry over at trailjournals, credits ATTroll for getting the site up and going again. So thank you to all who put in the hard work of keeping WB running over the years, and most especially thanks, ATTroll, for your hard work these last days.

SGT Rock broke a sweat on this too. Thank you SGT.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-12-2008, 18:33
SGT Rock broke a sweat on this too. Thank you SGT.Yeah, I heard Rock was up until the not so wee hours of the morning figuring out what the problem was so ATTroll would know what needed to be done when he became available. Both Rock and Troll are techie-types -- and for this the rest of the admin and moderation staff is truly thankful --- and I'm sure the rest of WB concurs.

Marta
01-12-2008, 18:39
Yeah, I just saw that and was going to post but besides being a azz he's also a troll. I'll let the women respond if they desire.

I bit my...fingertips. Said "Don't feed the troll" to myself a few times. L-Rod responded much more reasonably than I would have.

Nightwalker
01-12-2008, 18:44
Wow! A feller goes hiking, he misses a lot around here...

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 18:49

Many of us should do more of that...just hike. :)

Ron Haven
01-12-2008, 18:50
ATTroll and SGT Rock,

Thanks for all the hard work to restore and protect White Blaze.

Let the fun begin again. :)Friends,thanks for getting the site up and running and thanks to all the members for making it such a great site.

TOW
01-12-2008, 18:54
thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

Lilred
01-12-2008, 18:58
oh, thank goodness I can breathe again. Good job to all for getting us back up and running. My house hasn't been this clean in a long time........

Thoughtful Owl
01-12-2008, 19:01
Great Job site administrators get us backup and online. Terrific job.

Nightwalker
01-12-2008, 19:03

Oh, BTW, thanks for fixing it guys. I'd have been seriously bummed to come back from cold-n-rain without WB!

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2008, 19:24
:sun

Oh thank you thank you thank you!

gungho
01-12-2008, 19:38
I had recently gotten a new laptop(screen fried on my old one)and had procrastinated downloading all the Microsoft updates.

Thursday evening I determined not to get on WB until the downloads were finished. Everything went very well and the process was over in no time so I proceeded to open my browser to catch up. Since WB is my Home page, the hack screen was the first thing I saw.

I'd like to formally apologize to Mr. Gates at this time for the unfortunate things I said about his Mother.
I know what you mean. This is my first official post as an official WBer. My wife Roots joined several months ago. I have been reading all the post under her login name. So, thursday evening I was determined to finally stop procrastinating and go ahead and join. So, as soon as I received my activation code I attempted to complete the process, at this exact moment is when the black screen appeared. My immediate reaction was having to go into the kitchen and tell Roots I had messed up the site somehow while registering. I opted to 1st call my internet provider,they tried to pull up the site abd received the same message. I then informed my wife about the unfortunate occurence.

Again,it is good to finally be able to post:)

oops56
01-12-2008, 19:47
I know what you mean. This is my first official post as an official WBer. My wife Roots joined several months ago. I have been reading all the post under her login name. So, thursday evening I was determined to finally stop procrastinating and go ahead and join. So, as soon as I received my activation code I attempted to complete the process, at this exact moment is when the black screen appeared. My immediate reaction was having to go into the kitchen and tell Roots I had messed up the site somehow while registering. I opted to 1st call my internet provider,they tried to pull up the site abd received the same message. I then informed my wife about the unfortunate occurence.

Boy thats going to be hard to live down.Should change you name to [Black Hand]:welcome:welcome

Frau
01-12-2008, 19:49
I would like to add my appreciation to the administrators, too. What a fast recovery! I hiked some AT and spurs for several hours and come back to find WB up.

Danke vielmals!

Frau

Skidsteer
01-12-2008, 19:53

Your first post and you can already tell a better story than me. :cool:

Welcome gungho! :D

totempole99
01-12-2008, 19:58
Hear, hear to the admins!

TNjed
01-12-2008, 19:59
so what happened anyway? did the site really get hacked into?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-12-2008, 20:11
so what happened anyway? did the site really get hacked into?Yes, the site got hacked.

Hikerwannabe
01-12-2008, 20:15
I was sooooooo bored!!!

Montego
01-12-2008, 20:18
Not being the most computer saavy guy, I thought at first it was my computer, so I spent several hours cleaning the register, doing disk clean-up, defragmenting, running anti-virus programs, and generally cussing a lot.

When I finally figured out that it was some AH in Syria, I devoted the down time to revising my thru-hike geer list, reading trail journals, and playing untold numbers of Spider Solitaire (I now officially HATE that game LOL).

Thanks for all the hard work getting WB back up as quickly as you did. You guys are great!

gumball
01-12-2008, 20:22
Thanks for your hard work and place to hike back into to!

Kirby
01-12-2008, 20:27
Not being the most computer saavy guy, I thought at first it was my computer, so I spent several hours cleaning the register, doing disk clean-up, defragmenting, running anti-virus programs, and generally cussing a lot.

Sounds computer savvy to me, i can't do the bolded stuff above, and I'm supposed to be a computer savvy teen, Ha! I know how to get the internet.

Kirby

Panzer1
01-12-2008, 20:28
yea, I too thought that my machine was hacked when I first saw that hack message. I had just installed a new version of Norton antvirus and had some issues with the install, then I saw the hack message. But then I realized that since the message appeared after I clicked the link for WhiteBlaze and that it was actually WhiteBlaze that was hacked.

Panzer

dixicritter
01-12-2008, 20:29
We're just happy to have the site back up for everyone and glad y'all understand we wanted to make sure it was safe again before we put it back online for posting. Thanks again for being so patient and understanding y'all! We have a great group of members here at WB!

Montego
01-12-2008, 20:31
Sounds computer savvy to me, i can't do the bolded stuff above, and I'm supposed to be a computer savvy teen, Ha! I know how to get the internet.

Kirby

Probably just a mental block I have. When I got my first computer (this one) about four years ago, it took me two hours to figure out how to turn it on (ah......don't mean that way LOL). The "button" on front of the Dell just wasn't real obvious :rolleyes:

Lyle
01-12-2008, 20:33

A little late with this response, been out of town all day, but we should thank the admins at TJ too for shutting down that thread when it was obvious this guy was not going to stop.

I've already thanked, in another thread, all the admins here who worked so hard to get WB back up. But won't hurt to do it again. THANKS A BUNCH to all those who worked on this. It is greatly appreciated!

Panzer1
01-12-2008, 20:38
So, does anyone know how they hacked in?

Panzer

Darwin again
01-12-2008, 20:43
From what I've seen posted over at hiking hq, the perps were some malcontents in the middle east somewhere. The hit numerous forum sites that use this type of hosting template, as far as I could see.

Sgt. Rock has dispatched a team to take them out. ;-)

gldwings1
01-12-2008, 20:46
:bananaAlright I was Jonesin for Whiteblaze! WHat's up with that? Sgt Rock did you Bludgeon the POI who hacked WB with the butt of your M16? TY for getting WB back O/L!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-12-2008, 20:48
So, does anyone know how they hacked in?They exploited a weakness in Vbulletin software and this weakness has now been fixed. It appears to have been a random attack as many sites using this software were hacked also.

Trillium
01-12-2008, 20:58
Wow, that was quick. I wasn't on WhiteBlaze right when it happened but I think I came on pretty shortly thereafter and yes, I saw the black screen with the anglo-saxon word. I'm wondering what that sad soul has against the Admin of WhiteBlaze. (was this the same person who hacked in in 2006? the screen looked similar to what I remember) Then about an hour or so later, I saw the message noting that it might be Monday before WhiteBlaze was back up. Great job getting the site up so quick. You guys deserve to be waited on like kings now. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

pedal
01-12-2008, 21:27
Thanks for getting WB back up so quickly. When I read the note saying it would probably be Monday before the site was back up... I had to find something to do occupy my mind....so.... I went for a hike. Imagine that. I'm feeling much better now.

Nothing better than a day in the woods and an evening on WB.

SS

TNjed
01-12-2008, 21:31
why did someone hack this site, for pics of the AT without signing up? Is there something I don't know

dixicritter
01-12-2008, 21:42
why did someone hack this site, for pics of the AT without signing up? Is there something I don't know

There's no real reason why other than because it was possible to do due to security holes which have now been fixed (we hope). There are some sick people out there that find that kind of stuff absolutely hilarious. :rolleyes:

Bearpaw
01-12-2008, 21:43

From having read the rather long, technical thread over on hikinghq.net, the hack came from either Turkey or Saudi Arabia from hackers who found a vulnerabilty in the fourm system or bbs system that WhiteBlaze uses. MANY forums use this same system, and several were hacked, not just WhiteBlaze.

So apparently, this wasn't any one with an axe to grind, just some body bored with a sick way of killing time.

Kirby
01-12-2008, 21:45
Well, I would have gone for a hike this weekend, but the mountains are an hour and a half away, I don't drive, and my family does not own a car because everything is within walking distance of where we live. Perhaps I should clarify that "within walking distance" statement. Everything we need is with 1-2 miles( my dad's walking distance). I personally walk or bike everywhere.

Kirby

Tin Man
01-12-2008, 21:51
This whole hack thing and reading malicious comments about WB'ers on other sites make me wonder which is worse: hackers bringing down a web site or malicious posters from one website hacking another website's reputation? :-?

River Runner
01-12-2008, 22:51
Woo-hoo! Glad to see this site back so quickly. I actually had to go to bed early last night since there was nothing captivating to keep me up late!

By the way, I do want to let everyone know that my anti-virus software did find a VBS virus a short time after I brought up the hacked web page. I'm not 100% sure it was connected to this site since I was also looking at some other sites such as websleuth, but a friend of mine who was also on whiteblaze and got the yucky black screen had her son do a virus scan & he found one on her computer too. So I'd urge everyone who hasn't already to do a scan.

Marta
01-13-2008, 07:03

Kirby

I think you spend too much time hiking, kid.;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 09:50
I think you spend too much time hiking, kid.;)::: Dino seen mopping coffee off monitor and thanking God Marta is in her life :::

Javasanctum
01-13-2008, 10:46
Whew! Now I can put Teddy back in the closet and stop sucking my thumb. Thanks for the quick (and difficult) work getting us back up.

canerunner
01-13-2008, 10:53

You can fix that by installing Ubuntu Linux on your laptop. It's free, and works extremely well. I have a ThinkPad that I bought last year to replace my old one. With the old computer, I had Mr. Gates' latest virus on it, and it crashed totally on me twice within 4 months. After loosing about two weeks worth of work the first time, I had a recent backup (few days) the second time, and was able to recover. I did, however, recover by installing the Ubuntu Linux, and copying all of my files on to the Linux computer. I didn't have any problem using any of them.

I now live in a Gates-free world, and love it! Oh, and I can get to WB easily, and reliably! (WB topical content!:D:banana)

Lyle
01-13-2008, 11:41
You can fix that by installing Ubuntu Linux on your laptop. It's free, and works extremely well.)

I'll second that. I'm using Ubuntu right now. Actually any flavour of Linux is a big improvement over MS. Have been using various flavours for quite a few years now. Ubuntu is easy and popular.

walkin' wally
01-13-2008, 13:11
Thanks to everyone who helped getting Whiteblaze back on line. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 13:17
I'll second that. I'm using Ubuntu right now. Actually any flavour of Linux is a big improvement over MS. Have been using various flavours for quite a few years now. Ubuntu is easy and popular.I've already decided my next computer will have Linux. I'm way past over all of the problems with MS products.

rafe
01-13-2008, 14:41
I've already decided my next computer will have Linux. I'm way past over all of the problems with MS products.

You can have both... set up two partitions on your hard drive. Or have one box with MS, one with Linux, and a cheap KVM switch (http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=143&Tpk=kVM+switch) to switch between them. Linux is fine if you have time, skill and patience. It's the do-it-yourself OS. Drivers can be scarce though.

I've been running MS systems for years with no probs. But I usually stick with stuff that's comfortably behind the bleeding edge. Eg., still using XP, no intention of "upgrading" to Vista. I'm also careful about what I click on. :cool:

Lyle
01-13-2008, 15:08
Linux is fine if you have time, skill and patience. It's the do-it-yourself OS. Drivers can be scarce though.

I find I have fewer problems with drivers with Linux than I do when I try to re-install any flavor of Windows. Re-installing Windows is often recommended every year or so if you want optimum performance.

With most flavors of Linux, most hardware such as printers, cameras, network cards, etc. just work. The drivers are included in the distribution and installed automatically. Also, most productivity software, Office, Multimedia players, personal finance, graphics, etc. are also included and installed automatically. Once the install is done, you have a complete system, ready to use. No additional hour or two installing the additional programs you need to do any work. Sometimes hardware that is purposely being kept as proprietary by the manufacturer can be a problem, I avoid those hardware choices - their loss, not mine.

Just do some research first, there is plenty of information out there. We all research what water container we want to use, why not what computer software, instead of just accepting what is force down our throats?

More people need to spend some time with alternatives to the Gates empire. :)

Lyle
01-13-2008, 15:14
I've already decided my next computer will have Linux. I'm way past over all of the problems with MS products.

Actually, Wally World (online) and Dell are both selling new computers with Linux pre-installed - NO driver problems at all. At Dell, for about $150 additional, you can get a year of phone/email support for any Linux issues that come up. But there are plenty of forums and other options for free support if you're the do it yourself type.

Ok, enough with this thread hijacking, let's move it to a more suitable thread if there is any more interest.;)

Waterbuffalo
01-13-2008, 19:28
Thanks for getting it back up my withdrawl was getting bad My wife was worried when i started cleaning the house.

Marta
01-13-2008, 20:40
You can fix that by installing Ubuntu Linux on your laptop. It's free, and works extremely well. I have a ThinkPad that I bought last year to replace my old one. With the old computer, I had Mr. Gates' latest virus on it, and it crashed totally on me twice within 4 months. After loosing about two weeks worth of work the first time, I had a recent backup (few days) the second time, and was able to recover. I did, however, recover by installing the Ubuntu Linux, and copying all of my files on to the Linux computer. I didn't have any problem using any of them.

I now live in a Gates-free world, and love it! Oh, and I can get to WB easily, and reliably! (WB topical content!:D:banana)

I'll second that. I'm using Ubuntu right now. Actually any flavour of Linux is a big improvement over MS. Have been using various flavours for quite a few years now. Ubuntu is easy and popular.

You can have both... set up two partitions on your hard drive. Or have one box with MS, one with Linux, and a cheap KVM switch (http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=143&Tpk=kVM+switch) to switch between them. Linux is fine if you have time, skill and patience. It's the do-it-yourself OS. Drivers can be scarce though.

I've been running MS systems for years with no probs. But I usually stick with stuff that's comfortably behind the bleeding edge. Eg., still using XP, no intention of "upgrading" to Vista. I'm also careful about what I click on. :cool:

Will you folks speak English, please?

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 20:47
Will you folks speak English, please?

They said Bill Gates was responsible for the WB outage.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 20:48
They said Bill Gates was responsible for the WB outage.::: Dino will bite Tin Man on the toes as soon as she quits ROTFLMAO :::

Ewker
01-14-2008, 11:24
WB comes back and my computer crashes Sat morning. I brought out my old one from 4 yrs ago..boy is it slow 433mhz and 192ram...it was pop-up city so finally shut it off..so now I have 1440 post on Wb to browse :p

Lilred
01-14-2008, 13:01
WB comes back and my computer crashes Sat morning. I brought out my old one from 4 yrs ago..boy is it slow 433mhz and 192ram...it was pop-up city so finally shut it off..so now I have 1440 post on Wb to browse :p

Noticing Ewker getting nothing done at work today.......;)

Ewker
01-14-2008, 13:09
you know it...lol

Gray Blazer
01-15-2008, 10:47
ATTROLL, one thing I noticed that is different (and it's no biggie, but it is changed after the meltdown) is some of the titles in my photo gallery got chopped off a little. When I click on any pic, the whole title will show, but when I edit it (the title to correct) it just stays the same. I know, no biggie, but it is a change. Have a good day. Thanks for keeping up my favorite website.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-15-2008, 11:25
Missed all the excitement! I would have died if I couldn't have gotten on wb after almost two weeks of sickness and stress. I needed a fix, BAD! Thanks to ATTroll, Rock, and the rest of you!

warraghiyagey
01-15-2008, 17:46
Hey all,
Couldn't even look at my computer after the Blaze went down. Then came the catatonia, rocking in the corner, a visit from some well dressed folks in white who took me to this really nice spa where everyone was given excellent drugs and allowed to let their freak flags fly.
This morning they excorted me to the front gates and told me to NEVER come back. Appears my incessant sobbing freaked out the freaks and folks in white - alot.
Thank God when I crawled back to my computer the Blaze was burnin.
Phew!
:):)

warraghiyagey
01-15-2008, 17:52
Hello everyone....welcome back....even you two-faced people that spoke poorly about Whiteblaze on other forums :mad:
Well said.
:sun:sun

Nightwalker
01-17-2008, 18:39
So, does anyone know how they hacked in?

Panzer

They exploited a weakness in Vbulletin software and this weakness has now been fixed. It appears to have been a random attack as many sites using this software were hacked also.

From some checking around that I did the other day, one of the vulnerabilities in some site's VBulletin problems was allowing the posting of extensions in the gallery that were able to have embeddable "issues," such as WMV files. No idea if that was the case here.

The main thing is that it's fixed. All of the work that Troll does behind the scenes here is usually under-appreciated; I'll bet that's changed now.

We always appreciate Rock, because he's such a sparkling, witty outgoing guy, but let's all try to remember that one (short*) monkey don't make no show. Bet I just put my stupid foot in my lame mouth again. :(

------------------------------------------
He's so short, he has to sit down to pee! Now that's short! :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-17-2008, 18:45
Both Rock and Troll are techie-types... both were involved in fixing the hacking incident. Both deserve the credit for getting us back on-line. And I am grateful for both of them.

While we are giving out Kudos - Troll carried the entire tech burden while Rock was in Iraq - thanks to him for that and to Rock for going to Iraq twice. Thanks also to Dixicritter who puts in more hours than you can imagine resolving behind the scenes issues, moderating and resolving semi-technical issues.

warraghiyagey
01-18-2008, 00:39
Both Rock and Troll are techie-types... both were involved in fixing the hacking incident. Both deserve the credit for getting us back on-line. And I am grateful for both of them.

While we are giving out Kudos - Troll carried the entire tech burden while Rock was in Iraq - thanks to him for that and to Rock for going to Iraq twice. Thanks also to Dixicritter who puts in more hours than you can imagine resolving behind the scenes issues, moderating and resolving semi-technical issues.
WhiteBlaze Superheroes all.:sun:sun

River Runner
01-18-2008, 00:43

Definitely big thanks to all three. And to you too FD, for keeping things lively and for caring enough to step in when need be.

Tin Man
01-18-2008, 08:01
Definitely big thanks to all three. And to you too FD, for keeping things lively and for caring enough to step in when need be.

FD Rocks. Oh no, that's Dixi, Rocks with SGT Rock that is.

Thanks FD and Dixi for all the work keeping us on the straight and narrow. You two are the best. Papa Dino and SGT are two very lucky guys. :)