PDA

View Full Version : weekend hike in va

queary82
01-12-2008, 16:46
I'm looking for some help getting information together for a hike I plan on doing in March. Does anyone know of any spots to park my vehicle between the Paul Wolfe shelter and I-64? Right now I think I might jump on the trail at the Crabtree Falls Highway and head north from there. Thanks.

astrogirl
01-12-2008, 18:08
I'm looking for some help getting information together for a hike I plan on doing in March. Does anyone know of any spots to park my vehicle between the Paul Wolfe shelter and I-64? Right now I think I might jump on the trail at the Crabtree Falls Highway and head north from there. Thanks.

You could park at Humpback Rocks, Mile 6 of the BRP. It's south of Paul Wolfe by a few miles, but it's almost all descent to the shelter.

Thoughtful Owl
01-14-2008, 14:56
You can park at the Rockfish Gap visitor center area or at the Inn on top of the hill. If you park at the Inn just let them know at the office. They are pretty accomatating. You are going to need a shuttle to the Crabtree falls area though.

queary82
01-15-2008, 12:02
I was looking at the visitors center before. How far is it from the trail?

Creek Dancer
01-15-2008, 12:08
The trail is basically accross Blue Ridge Parkway from the Rockfish Gap Visitor's Center.

Thoughtful Owl
01-15-2008, 12:09
I was looking at the visitors center before. How far is it from the trail?

It is an easy approximately 5 miles from the visitors center to the Paul Wolfe Shelter.

queary82
01-15-2008, 12:50
That works out pretty good for me then. I was planning on staying at that shelter my last night out. Thanks.

Thoughtful Owl
01-15-2008, 14:24
Yeah, it's a pretty easy hike out from the shelter to the visitors center. You can leave a vehicle at either the visitor center area or up on the hill behind the visitors center at the Inn at Afton. Either way let the folks at each place know that you are leaving a vehicle there. The folks at Inn at Afton are pretty hiker friendly as are the folks at the visitors center. FYI, The visitors center also has a list of folks in Waynesboro who are willing to shuttle hikers.

queary82
01-16-2008, 13:08
It's a good thing WB exists so that I can find out great information like this. It makes it much easier than searching the internet for hours.

Thoughtful Owl
01-16-2008, 13:46
Enjoy the hike. Let me know (Pm me if you want) for sure when you are going to do this hike and if you want some company, I might be able to join you.

TO

queary82
01-17-2008, 12:39
Cool...I'll keep you up to date.