PDA

View Full Version : End Trail Drug Use

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 09:55
I think this needs to be discussed, we need to pull together and end drug use on the trail once and for all. I think the government should make it a felony to posses drugs on federal land and make it a non-probational offense with a mandatory jail sentence of not less than 6 months for those whom chose to break this law. There are way to many pot smokers on the trail and these people are nothing more than common day criminals and don't belong on the trail. I have on many occasions seen people smoking pot on the trail and other hikers just look the other way. This is wrong, action needs to be taken. I feel that if you do see pot smokers on the trail you should not confront them because they could be dangerous, but instead follow them to the nearest road crossing and then notify the local law enforcement. Once hikers see that pot smoking isn't tolerated on the trail and that they in fact will be arrested, then and only then we have a chance at stopping or controlling this problem. But as it is now they think it is no big deal. The ATC might also want to consider a task force to do just what was mentioned. I myself will be turning in anyone I see breaking these laws and I suggest others do the same.

illininagel
12-25-2003, 10:16
I have on many occasions seen people smoking pot on the trail and other hikers just look the other way.

I should state right upfront that I would never touch the stuff. But, my philosophy on such matters is that if another person chooses to do something that does not harm others in any way, I will just look the other way and ignore the behavior.

More specifically, in this case, I would not want the hiker smoking pot in a shelter that is inhabited by others, or partying close to other campers and making a lot of noise. But, if they choose to camp far away from others and do not disturb anyone else, I have no problem with them smoking pot. How is smoking pot any worse than drinking alcohol?

Just my opinion...

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 11:35
How is smoking pot any worse than drinking alcohol?

Smoking pot is illegal and a criminal act, drinking is not if your of age. Money spent on buying pot goes to murders, terrorists and other criminal organizations who use the money to commit more crimes. Money from the purchase of legally bought alcohol does not.

bailcor
12-25-2003, 11:37
I have a friend that is an avid hiker and is out there for all the right reasons. I happen to know that he smokes it for medicinal purposes and I am not about to have him arrested.

Lilred
12-25-2003, 11:41
I think this needs to be discussed, we need to pull together and end drug use on the trail once and for all. I think the government should make it a felony to posses drugs on federal land and make it a non-probational offense with a mandatory jail sentence of not less than 6 months for those whom chose to break this law. There are way to many pot smokers on the trail and these people are nothing more than common day criminals and don't belong on the trail. I have on many occasions seen people smoking pot on the trail and other hikers just look the other way. This is wrong, action needs to be taken. I feel that if you do see pot smokers on the trail you should not confront them because they could be dangerous, but instead follow them to the nearest road crossing and then notify the local law enforcement. Once hikers see that pot smoking isn't tolerated on the trail and that they in fact will be arrested, then and only then we have a chance at stopping or controlling this problem. But as it is now they think it is no big deal. The ATC might also want to consider a task force to do just what was mentioned. I myself will be turning in anyone I see breaking these laws and I suggest others do the same.

Oh Goody!! Just when I was beginning to feel the comraderie from other hikers, the pot Nazi shows up. First of all, back in my rowdier teenage years, I had never met a 'dangerous' pot smoker. I've met plenty of dangerous drinkers though. I'm sure many remember this year's incident with a drunk at a hostel.
And if you think hikers are going to stop hiking for a few hours to search out a police officer to turn someone in, think again. Get over yourself and hike your own hike. If it offends you, simply ask the people to put it out or go somewhere else with it. I'm sure they'd oblige and I doubt you'd be in any danger.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 11:47
I have a friend that is an avid hiker and is out there for all the right reasons. I happen to know that he smokes it for medicinal purposes and I am not about to have him arrested.

Its still a criminal act and no different that someone saying they smoke crack or use herion for medicinal purposes. He should probably have a doctor subscribe a legal drug for him, but as it is right now he is breaking the law and a criminal.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 11:58
Oh Goody!! Just when I was beginning to feel the comraderie from other hikers, the pot Nazi shows up. First of all, back in my rowdier teenage years, I had never met a 'dangerous' pot smoker.

John Wayne Gacy was a pot smoker whom used pot to lure young boys in his home to kill them. This Maust fellow in Indiana the same. Their not dangerous?
I could go on and on with examples of pot smoking dangerous criminals.

The point is if they want to smoke pot they should stay home. I am highy allergic to pot smoke and just a whiff from seven miles back on the trail could kill me. The point is no illegal activity should be allowed on the trail. Period.

oyvay
12-25-2003, 12:18
I don't smoke pot(personal choice), it's illegal thanks to the lobbying efforts of the tobacco and beer companies. The only thing worse than a stoner freak is a snitch. The nazis loved snitches anyone willing to inform on innocent civilians just to get ahead. As long as the stoners don't do it around me I don't care if they rot their brains, but the two-faced snitches better stay away from hiking trails altogether or you'll be spending more time going to town to snitch than on the trail hiking.

bailcor
12-25-2003, 12:41
A whiff from seven miles back could kill you? That means you spend most of your time in emergency rooms.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 12:46
A whiff from seven miles back could kill you? That means you spend most of your time in emergency rooms.

LOL thats a joke ......... some smoking nazi posted that somewhere on this forum about cigarette smoke :D :D

ganj
12-25-2003, 12:51
Easy-

There's no way I am taking you serious on this one.

sakkit
12-25-2003, 13:40
It's my belief that a drug is a drug is a drug: liquid,solid,smoke or vapor, legal or illegal. When you use a substance that alters your psyche, I'd feel much safer if you'd stay home. Substances that impair you can make you a danger to self, others, and a place like the Trail.

Chef
12-25-2003, 13:46
Former easy, relax and hike your own hike. Stop worrying about what other people are doing and concentrate on yourself. It sounds like you'd be a danger to other people if you start following them in the woods. Take a chill pill.

weathercarrot
12-25-2003, 14:17
Its still a criminal act and no different that someone saying they smoke crack or use herion for medicinal purposes. He should probably have a doctor subscribe a legal drug for him, but as it is right now he is breaking the law and a criminal.

The legislative process that determines whether something is a criminal act or a non-criminal act is directly associated with the confines of a given cultural paradigm. And this varies from one culture to the next, and from one era to the next within a culture. Therefore, in the grand scheme of things - it is largely arbitrary. And the perceived difference between alcohol and pot is a prime example of that. It is a highly dangerous endeavor to equate legality with morality.

Senor Quack
12-25-2003, 14:57
Surely this is a drawn-out troll with humorous intentions!

If not.. my advice, Easy, is to learn to mind your own business about things that don't harm others. And please don't start up again about how pot funds terrists.

OMG 9/11 NEVAR FORGET

Lone Wolf
12-25-2003, 15:20
Hey Weathercarrot, try that line of BS on a cop if/when you ever get busted for possession. :D

weathercarrot
12-25-2003, 15:41
Hey Weathercarrot, try that line of BS on a cop if/when you ever get busted for possession. :D

Hey Lone Wolf - first of all, I'm not ignorant of the reality that these cops believe in, so I would never be using that "line of BS" with them, and I wouldn't be possessing something they would bust me for anyway. I was simply stating that while we as a culture are so fully conditioned and obsessed with the notion of the rule of law, we seem to forget that the law-making bodies who make these decisions have no better a grasp of universal truths than the rest of us do. Much of their motivation comes from adhering to passed down cultural baggage or with whatever is politically expedient at the time. Ultimately it comes down each individual making their own determination of what those truths (or absolutes) are. Otherwise you get the usual "I was just following orders" type of mentality, such as "pot is illegal, therefore it's wrong" and "alcohol is legal, therefore it's not wrong". It would be nice if people could think for themselves instead of relying on the environment they were born into to do the thinking for them.

steve hiker
12-25-2003, 16:35
Easy is trolling (bored on Christmas Day), and more than a few suckers have taken the bait. Very successful troll, Easy.

The difference b/t Former Easy and the former Easy is that now he trolls with a straight face. Which is much more effective than drunken ramblings. These troll posts border on satire, which is especially effective with an American audience because Americans have almost no sense of humor.* Humor was associated with sin and the Devil in Puritan times and more recently has been banished by the Political Correctness Police ("PCP"). So, this audience is full of natural suckers for Easy's new form of trolling.

p.s. If you doubt that Easy is trolling, see his post on the Booze in Your Bearbag thread, paying special attention to the organization he is affiliated with, at the bottom of the post.

*Humor and satire are closely related because both rely on the ability to see past the obvious, or what is being literally presented.

Belew
12-25-2003, 18:21
Some advice for those of you that have never encountered a pot head on the trail. If you ever get a wiff of a skunk run from the trail and hide. Most often this will be a pot head burning some kind bud not a skunk! These pot head people are vicious and they love a good fight! Be careful, never hike with a snuffy nose. They might sneak up on you from behind. My bear mace has come in handy more than once in a confrontation with these lawbreakers. :p

:p Belew

Percival
12-25-2003, 19:58
Some advice for those of you that have never encountered a pot head on the trail. If you ever get a wiff of a skunk run from the trail and hide. Most often this will be a pot head burning some kind bud not a skunk! These pot head people are vicious and they love a good fight! Be careful, never hike with a snuffy nose. They might sneak up on you from behind. My bear mace has come in handy more than once in a confrontation with these lawbreakers.

Another violent non-potsmoker. Probably drugs himself with alcohol. These drunks are vicious and they love a good fight! Be careful, they might sneak up on you from behind. Remind me to bring my Glock the next time one of these freaks are on the trail.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 23:51
Easy is trolling (bored on Christmas Day), and more than a few suckers have taken the bait. Very successful troll, Easy.

The difference b/t Former Easy and the former Easy is that now he trolls with a straight face. Which is much more effective than drunken ramblings. These troll posts border on satire, which is especially effective with an American audience because Americans have almost no sense of humor.* Humor was associated with sin and the Devil in Puritan times and more recently has been banished by the Political Correctness Police ("PCP"). So, this audience is full of natural suckers for Easy's new form of trolling.

p.s. If you doubt that Easy is trolling, see his post on the Booze in Your Bearbag thread, paying special attention to the organization he is affiliated with, at the bottom of the post.

*Humor and satire are closely related because both rely on the ability to see past the obvious, or what is being literally presented.

Satire possibly, Troll no, comedian possibly, made people think defiantly :D

Your 100% correct on this comment Steve:

"satire, which is especially effective with an American audience because Americans have almost no sense of humor "

It sure has been a lively conversation, besides how it was started and gives good viewpoints on this issue, some might not like it but I'm sure most will agree its a good subject to be discussed.

weathercarrot
12-26-2003, 00:15
I would say a significant percentage of the population agrees completely with Former Easy's first post in this thread, so it was entirely possible that he was for real. I guess I don't spend enough time on these forums to know people's personalities and spot these things.... :o

cabalot
12-26-2003, 00:45

i have to agree, he is just bored looking for a little contravercy. like he's really gonna hike off the rail, find a cop or ranger and lead him to the pot smoking common crimminal. like he would even be able to find a cop that would bother to hike in to make a little possesion bust.

here is a list of the maximum penalties for possesion state by state. they may be different if in a national park though.

state / amount / type of violation / incarceration time / fine

Maine-Usable amount with proof of physician's recommendation none none none
"Usable Amount" civil violation none $200 - $400

New Hampshire- Any amount misdemeanor 1 year $2,000

Vermont- Less than 2 oz (first offense)*misdemeanor 6 months $500

Massachusetts- Any amount (first offense) misdemeanor 6 months* $500

Connecticut- "Useable Amount" (first offense) misdemeanor 1 year$ 1,000

New York- 25 g or less (first offense) civil citation none $100

New Jersey- 50 g or less misdemeanor 6 months $1,000

Pennsylvania- 30 g or less misdemeanor 30 days $500

Maryland- Any amount misdemeanor 1 year $1,000

West Virginia- Any amount misdemeanor 90 days - 6 months $1,000

Virginia- Any amount (first offense) misdemeanor 30 days $500

Tennessee- 1/2 oz or less misdemeanor 1 year $2,500

North Carolina- 1/2 oz or less misdemeanor 30 days* none

Georgia- Less than 1 oz (first offense) misdemeanor probation* none

the people that cant handle their booze are the dangerous ones.

my view is do as you like as long as you dont violate anyone elses constitutional rights.

"a wiff of smoke 7 miles away fatal?" sounds like the "Boy in the Bubble" has a brother. how do exaust fumes from a car affect you? remember that movie in the '70s "the wilderness family"?

we need law enforcement to bust the locals that hang out and drink and trash the shelters. and to enforce the fishing regulations on those slobs that keep every 4" fish they catch.

on a final note, marijuana will eventually be as legal as alcohol, slowly but surely.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2003, 08:53
Easy may be joking about turning your ass in to "proper authorities" but Wingfoot WILL do it.

Mike Drinkuth
12-26-2003, 10:32
NO WAY this former easy character is serious.
"I feel that if you do see pot smokers on the trail you should not confront them because they could be dangerous" he he he...What a hoot! :bse

I RARELY meet nosy, noisy, people stomping thru and hunting for crap to be offended about when i'm on any trail. Most choose to go lightly thru life, as I do.

TJ aka Teej
12-26-2003, 11:23
It is a highly dangerous endeavor to equate legality with morality.
Amen, brother.

Skyline
12-26-2003, 11:53
The hikers or the wannabe hikers or the locals or whoever who smoke pot, or use other mind-altering substances at the shelters, at hostels, at trail-friendly businesses, etc. are the problem. If they'd just go off on their own instead of insisting it is their "right" to do their thang around other people, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

A few years ago on AT-L some kid berated me for writing words similar to these, and said I was being "discriminatory toward the drug-consuming community." Yes, his brain had been so completely fried that he thought of himself as part of some legitimate "community" of people who had a right to break the law while mingling with others who wanted no part of his law-breaking activities. "Drug-consuming community?" Gimme a break...

If you were in a shelter with eight hikers, and three of them were passing a joint around but the other five weren't involved, and a Ranger or cop arrived on the scene, how would that law enforcement officer know who in fact to arrest? Would those three upstanding citizens be so honest as to volunteer that the other five were innocent? Doubt it.

But that's an extreme, not impossible but admittedly an unlikely scenario. The fact is that many, many hikers want no part of others' pot, booze, meth, crack, whatever...or the after-effect behavior of same. So, take it far away in the woods, then sleep it off out there, OK?

Trailjockey
12-26-2003, 13:02
Smells like" Reefer Madness" to me! :eek:

chief
12-26-2003, 13:27
hehe, wonder what BS you'd give a cop when he finds that glock you so often speak about. pick yer crime!

easy certainly knows how to get a discussion going!

Lone Wolf
12-26-2003, 13:56
Sure chief, whatever you say. :cool:

weary
12-26-2003, 14:14
It's my belief that a drug is a drug is a drug: liquid,solid,smoke or vapor, legal or illegal. When you use a substance that alters your psyche, I'd feel much safer if you'd stay home.

I couldn't agree more. We absolutely need to ban these drugs from our trails, coffee, chocolate, tylenol with codein, too many prescription drugs to mention.... You may think such common substances are harmless. But remember 100 percent of felonies are commited by persons who have consumed H2O within the previous 24 hours.

Weary

chief
12-26-2003, 14:15
Sure chief, whatever you say. :cool:
just trying to say there are many things to get busted for and you're right, BS ain't likely to impress many cops. sorry, maybe i should have said that instead of trying to be smart a**.

Joel Rash
12-26-2003, 17:29
...those pot heads can be really dangerous. Someone starts passing a joint and a week's supply of gorp is gone like THAT. Then they force you to listen to a discussion of which bootlegged Dead show has the best version of Casey Jones. Once the tie-dye comes out, you've had it.

Of course, a bigger danger on the trail are self-righteous morons determined to enforce their prejudices on us all. Fortunately they seem to spend more time on their butts at the keyboard then on their boots on the AT.

slowroller
12-26-2003, 22:30
Although I do not smoke, nor do I support it, I think Joel Rash has hit the nail on the head. I had rather share the shelter with a bunch of “DANGEROS” pot smokers, than with the self-righteous type Mr. Joel Rash has so perfectly spoken about...

Former Easy
12-27-2003, 02:08
...those pot heads can be really dangerous. Someone starts passing a joint and a week's supply of gorp is gone like THAT. Then they force you to listen to a discussion of which bootlegged Dead show has the best version of Casey Jones. Once the tie-dye comes out, you've had it.

I'd rather be in a shelter with dead heads than someone who has been affiliated and promoted or promotes punk rock. Many punk rock bands use there music to enforce their prejudices.

Skyline
12-27-2003, 09:37
Drug and alcohol use at shelters and other places of gathering along the A.T., which DOES happen sometimes by inconsiderate hikers and non-hikers, isn't about law enforcement or snitching or even confrontation so much as it should be about consideration. Unless, of course, the resulting behavior is so extreme that it requires one or more of these measures.

If those who feel they must have drugs or booze would be considerate enough to consume them away from where others gather, and then stay there until the effects wear off, this would not be an issue. Sorta the same consideration most (hopefully all) give to other things that need not be public such as, well, bowel movements, sexual activity, cell phones...

Jaybird
12-27-2003, 11:05
is this a "copy & paste" from the END ALCOHOL ABUSE forum?

i think all of us adults know that smoking pot is illegal...whether you choose to partake in the activity or not...is up to you.

getting caught is a risk one takes when participating in smoking pot or any other illegal substance.

i've encountered several hikers on the trail that smoked pot in & around the shelters but, except for the occasional loud conversations, (past 10pm) they weren't obnoxious or billigerent (they were drinking whiskey too).

i abide by LNT & i stay "clean & sober" on the trail.

Jaybird

weathercarrot
12-27-2003, 11:46
is this a "copy & paste" from the END ALCOHOL ABUSE forum?

The other way around.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2003, 11:57
I wonder why it's called dope and not Einstein? Who's the Dead? Wasn't that some ****ty band with a fat, drug laced singer who is dead? From too much dope and booze? What a great idol. :D

smokymtnsteve
12-27-2003, 12:02
jerry's dead??? not..saw him yesterday truckin down ponce :jump

Lone Wolf
12-27-2003, 12:05
Yup. Jerry's dead and Phish sucks. Time to get a life steve. :cool:

smokymtnsteve
12-27-2003, 12:08
I'm pretty sure that I saw jerry yesterday..guess he doesn't get up to damascus much..

Lone Wolf
12-27-2003, 12:14
Nope. No stinkin, doper hippies allowed in Damascus. We kick hippies here. Everyone has a bumper sticker here that says, "Visualize getting up off your hippie ass and getting a job". :D

c.coyle
12-27-2003, 14:19
i've encountered several hikers on the trail that smoked pot in & around the shelters but...

That should be "... several hikers ... who smoked pot in and around ..." "Who" refers to persons; "that", to inanimate objects.

We need to put an end to the ever-increasing problem of grammar and syntax abuse on the trail. I've spent many a miserable night in shelters, subjected to the dangling participles and split infinitives of thoughtless hikers.

Montana
12-27-2003, 15:00
I'd rather be in a shelter with dead heads than someone who has been affiliated and promoted or promotes punk rock. Many punk rock bands use there music to enforce their prejudices.

Punk Rock being equated with prejudice, lol! :jump :jump :jump

Punk is all about taking down the establishment, removing systems of control. Prejudice is control.

I assume that Easy is just trying to play with our heads still, thanks for the laugh.

Montana

ps: Legalize It

Former Easy
12-27-2003, 15:37
Punk Rock being equated with prejudice, lol! :jump :jump :jump

Punk is all about taking down the establishment, removing systems of control. Prejudice is control.

I assume that Easy is just trying to play with our heads still, thanks for the laugh.

Montana

ps: Legalize It

LOL .......... I'd rather be in a shelter with retarded dead heads whose brains are so fried on drugs that their rendered harmless, then some violent dangerous punk rocker. IMO punk rock is a very angry, hateful, form of music. Besides dis- respect for others these punk rockers have dis-respect for themselves, with the massive piercings and self mutilation that seems associated with them. The close relation of punk rockers to skin heads and neo nazis is also unsettling.

Joel Rash
12-27-2003, 15:42
"I'd rather be in a shelter with dead heads than someone who has been affiliated and promoted or promotes punk rock. Many punk rock bands use there music to enforce their prejudices."

So Queasy, you're an expert on punk music as well now? Maybe you could enlighten me with a definition of punk, since in my 18 years I still haven't found an easy definition. While you're at it, let me know how exactly does a band exercising their First Amendent rights 'enforce' a prejudice, whatever their style of music. I'd be interested in hearing a real answer from you this time, instead of setting you off on another rant about how pot-smoking PETA terrorists are hiding Osama bin Laden.

Joel

P.S. Wouldn't the pot smoke in the shelter kill you, with your highly sensitive allergies?

Former Easy
12-27-2003, 16:27
"I'd rather be in a shelter with dead heads than someone who has been affiliated and promoted or promotes punk rock. Many punk rock bands use there music to enforce their prejudices."

So Queasy, you're an expert on punk music as well now? Maybe you could enlighten me with a definition of punk, since in my 18 years I still haven't found an easy definition. While you're at it, let me know how exactly does a band exercising their First Amendent rights 'enforce' a prejudice, whatever their style of music. I'd be interested in hearing a real answer from you this time, instead of setting you off on another rant about how pot-smoking PETA terrorists are hiding Osama bin Laden.

Joel

P.S. Wouldn't the pot smoke in the shelter kill you, with your highly sensitive allergies?

Read post #33
"Of course, a bigger danger on the trail are self-righteous morons determined to enforce their prejudices on us all"

Well they have first amendment rights also.

----------------------------
"So Queasy, you're an expert on punk music as well now?"

I'm not an expert, I just don't like punk music and think it sucks along with the skinheads and neo nazis associated with it! You don't need to be an expert to express your opinoin.
--------------------------

"instead of setting you off on another rant about how pot-smoking PETA terrorists are hiding Osama bin Laden."

I never said anything about Osama bin Laden, I mentioned the members of PETA have been connected to terrorist acts and that the Federal Government is keeping a close eye on PETA, I don't support this goof ball organization and hope others won't either.
-------------------------------

"P.S. Wouldn't the pot smoke in the shelter kill you, with your highly sensitive allergies?"

Read back a few threads, I said this was a parody on a post of some smoke nazi, that said cigarette smoke could kill her 7 miles back.
----------------------------

Joelene your just to damn serious, you need to find a sense of humor.
On another note I am exercising my first amendment rights and if you don't like it ..... TOUGH, put me on your ignore list then.

Mike Drinkuth
12-27-2003, 16:38
Been walking all morning
Went walking all night
I can't see much difference between the dark and the light
And I feel the wind
And I taste the rain
Never in my mind
to cause so much pain
-Jerry Garcia

(If you don't get it, you don't get it)
But L. Wolf, you are a disrespectful fool to speak ill of a dead man.

Montana
12-27-2003, 16:47
LOL .......... I'd rather be in a shelter with retarded dead heads whose brains are so fried on drugs that their rendered harmless, then some violent dangerous punk rocker. IMO punk rock is a very angry, hateful, form of music. Besides dis- respect for others these punk rockers have dis-respect for themselves, with the massive piercings and self mutilation that seems associated with them. The close relation of punk rockers to skin heads and neo nazis is also unsettling.

Easy....

You've got the wrong idea man. Punk Rock can be very angry music, I agree. However I've never been to a punk show where I've felt a bad vibe towards anyone of color. The punk uniform (hair, piercing, tattoos, etc) is just a way for these kids to feel the delusion of being unique. Punk bands preach about unity between humans, racism and war are the tools of those in power to perpetuate that power. Skinheads and neo-nazis are as unwelcome with punks as they are with the “retarded dead heads”.

I will start quoting lyrics if I must.. lol

Montana

ps: You might want to take a look at the movie SLC Punk, I think they did a good job of explaining the mindset..

c.coyle
12-27-2003, 17:33
Been walking all morning
Went walking all night
I can't see much difference between the dark and the light
And I feel the wind
And I taste the rain
Never in my mind
to cause so much pain
-Jerry Garcia

Actually, Robert Hunter

Former Easy
12-27-2003, 18:37
Actually, Robert Hunter

Good ole Bobby, i've had a few drinks with him on quite a few occasions back in 80's, he used to do acoustic sets at Biddy Mulligan's in Chicago where I was once employed. The place is gone now but it was a great northside club. One of the greatest performers I have had a drink with there had to be Rick Derringer the guys a class act.

Joel Rash
12-27-2003, 19:24
< "So Queasy, you're an expert on punk music as well now?"

I'm not an expert, I just don't like punk music and think it sucks along with the skinheads and neo nazis associated with it! You don't need to be an expert to express your opinoin. >

Actually, the skinheads and neo nazis are associated with the Confederate flag waving bigoted conservatives you seem so willing to hop into bed with. The punks are the ones using direct action to drive the boneheads back under their rocks. I've got plenty of stiches from the 80s that attest to the fact that punks won't tolerate racist B.S.

You express plenty of opinions without expertise, as is clearly the case here. You can't even tell me what punk music is, but you're awful willing to rail against it. I don't worry about your misinformed opinion, I worry that someone reading might be foolish enough to believe you have a clue about what you're saying.

Joel

P.S. I'm still waiting for an answer, how exactly do punk bands enforce their opinions?

Trailjockey
12-27-2003, 19:28
GENTLEMEN GENTLEMEN
OR IS IT
GIRLS GIRLS (Meaning no offense Ladies)

It seems we have forgotton our manners.
"Live and let live" is a great motto. I try to live by it.(most of the time)
Debate is great, but lets be civil. We all come from all different walks of life, so we all have differing opinions. I know you all wouldn`t do this trash talk out on the trail. Out there we all have somethine in common. A comradery we all share. I have yet to see anything like this while hiking. Except when the locals where trashing a shelter.
Let try to stick to trail issues and not get sucked in to someones idea of having fun by stirring up a little controversy. (Sometimes called a fishing expedition.)
I joined this site to suck all your brains for knowledge. So far I`m doing pretty good! I`ve learned alot! I hope that one day I may have something to contribute. But until then, I`ll just keep sucking. :D
HANDS DOWN! This is the best site on the internet. I truly hope it stays that way! :)
BTW I`m about to embark on an endevor that may or maynot suceed.
I`m going to try my hand at making my own underquilt for my Hennesy.
PLEEEEASE wish me luck!

Chappy
12-27-2003, 19:51
Trailjockey,

I really like your signature. From the rhetoric on this thread some won't make it very long if they ever meet on the trail!

I've been in the military for 25 years and one of the reasons I've served is to protect our way of life and those most important to me are freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I may disagree with others on these subjects, but I always try to respectfully disagree with them. Seems to me some have a difficult time doing that. Peace to all! :)

Former Easy
12-27-2003, 21:46
< "So Queasy, you're an expert on punk music as well now?"

I'm not an expert, I just don't like punk music and think it sucks along with the skinheads and neo nazis associated with it! You don't need to be an expert to express your opinoin. >

Actually, the skinheads and neo nazis are associated with the Confederate flag waving bigoted conservatives you seem so willing to hop into bed with. The punks are the ones using direct action to drive the boneheads back under their rocks. I've got plenty of stiches from the 80s that attest to the fact that punks won't tolerate racist B.S.

You express plenty of opinions without expertise, as is clearly the case here. You can't even tell me what punk music is, but you're awful willing to rail against it. I don't worry about your misinformed opinion, I worry that someone reading might be foolish enough to believe you have a clue about what you're saying.

Joel

P.S. I'm still waiting for an answer, how exactly do punk bands enforce their opinions?

Joel you have attacked me on every post you don't agree with in the last few days in a insulting manner, and could not contain yourself to disagree in a mature manner. I have also responded in an insulting manner, since what comes around goes around, However now im done responding. Have a great day!

Matt Pincham
12-29-2003, 08:00
Sorta the same consideration most (hopefully all) give to other things that need not be public such as, well, bowel movements, sexual activity, cell phones...

Of all the things I've seen discussed on this forum I have to say that I haven't seen 'sexual activity' mentioned once. Guess you're all too tired after a long days hike.

Anyway, great post Former Easy. Surely you had something better to do on Christmas Day though?

With regards to Punk Rock. I listen to what would be described as the 'new school' Punk Rock. Bands like Pennywise and Blink 182 as opposed to the old 70/80's Sex Pistols etc. I am not a skinhead racist but a fun loving young man. I also have my tongue pierced!! Will this make you take a lesser view of me? Or perhaps my tongue bar wont fit in with light weight hiking values?

Former Easy
12-29-2003, 08:54
Of all the things I've seen discussed on this forum I have to say that I haven't seen 'sexual activity' mentioned once. Guess you're all too tired after a long days hike.

Anyway, great post Former Easy. Surely you had something better to do on Christmas Day though?

With regards to Punk Rock. I listen to what would be described as the 'new school' Punk Rock. Bands like Pennywise and Blink 182 as opposed to the old 70/80's Sex Pistols etc. I am not a skinhead racist but a fun loving young man. I also have my tongue pierced!! Will this make you take a lesser view of me? Or perhaps my tongue bar wont fit in with light weight hiking values?

People don't discuss sex on the trail since most sex on the trail is not straight sex, and any mention would be politically incorrect. LOL

That piercing does add weight and you sure won't be able to call yourself a ultra-light purist if you hike with it in. I say you ditch the piercing and go with the forked tongue modification. :D

I could give a ratz a$$ what kind of music people listen to, I was pulling MR. Rash's chain. LOL

screwysquirrel
01-02-2004, 02:19
How come they have never kicked YOUR ASS?

Lone Wolf
01-02-2004, 08:21
Where did your sense of humor run off to, screwy? :cool:

cabalot
01-02-2004, 18:44
Not all pot smokers are "hippies". Most have jobs to, the stuff isn’t cheap. Some are veterans, many of which have purple hearts they earned defending freedom. People that can’t handle their alcohol are the people that usually cause trouble. I will smoke when I am on the trail but no one will ever see me.

I can’t wait for it to be legalized; maybe there will be a long trail thru fields of it.

Blue Wolf
01-02-2004, 20:52
The stuff helps me stay focused on things,,,,,,,,,,,,um what was I saying? oh yeah cough cough it helps me stay focused :bse

smokymtnsteve
01-02-2004, 22:33
there is also the medicinal aspect to it..lots of folks smoke a little pot for medical purposes, not having legal medical marijuana in this country is absoultey barbaric.

alpine
01-11-2004, 09:13
The guy who started this thread would like to live in a world where the people are incouraged to rat out people. Like a police state! :-? His comments are puritan to say the least. If he has such an issue he should become a cop. In the real world we know that law enforcement is not worried about a few hikers in the middle of no where ville smoking a dubie! They are to busy patrolling the high ways looking for drunk drivers thieves rapists and violence. Sending cops into woods to look for a hiker with a joint would be a waste of tax payer money to say the least when they should be searching for hard criminals. Besides todays low level law enforcement has very low standards for physical fitness and I can't really see them on the trail tracking down hikers for a small bag of weed. Whats next? Should you have a back ground check before you can hike in the parks??? No thank you for the police state this man would like to create! All of this from a vet who does not even smoke. :-? :-? I did fight for freedom once or twice however. :rolleyes:

squirrel bait
01-11-2004, 09:30
Alpine you make a good point. Spending my summers growing up in a small town in Co our counties sheriff had a good take on this. They (government) may make the laws but he was the one that had to enforce them. Where we had a party spot on the side of the mountain could be seen from town. He told us more than once, "I ain't driving up there to stop ya all from puffin youse old weed, been around for ever, besides you boys can see me coming from oer 5 miles away, drive into town high and youse ass is mine". He said was all about selective enforcement, utilizing scarce assests and he wasn't enforcen nothin so stupid. And yes he was there as soon as we drove in to town, the next morning, just a smilin.

Lilred
01-11-2004, 10:06
there is also the medicinal aspect to it..lots of folks smoke a little pot for medical purposes, not having legal medical marijuana in this country is absoultey barbaric.

There are some states that allow medical marijuana. California and Arizona come to mind. I think if it's ok in those two states, it oughta be legal in every state. A friend of mine has multiple sclerosis and confined to a wheelchair. Her doctor told her if she can get it, smoke it. Not only does it aid in her nausea and help diminish the muscle spasms in her legs, it also slows the disease down. She has chronic progressive MS, she never goes into remission, just keeps getting worse. To withhold something that can help her is cruel, imho.

smokymtnsteve
01-11-2004, 11:02
the Great state of MAINE one of the favorites of the Trail community has a MEDICAL MJ law on it's books...and didn't an early visitor to Katdahin write about and advocate CIVIL DISOBEDIANCE...that it was our RESPONSIBILITY to disobey unfair and unjust laws...and I am a pround member of the HENRI DAVID THOREAU strolling society. :sun

Done Did
01-17-2004, 02:51
I don’t have a moral distress with hikers smoking pot but I do have an environmental concern with marijuana’s effects on the backcountry. Since the increased border security of post 9/11 drug cartels are now funding a significant number of farms within our national parks and destroying them in the process.

Anyone see the show on Discovery Science today regarding marijuana farms in our national parks?

Here’s an excerpt from an online article that addresses most of the issues covered in the television program:

---------------------------------------------------

...For years, drug enforcement in national parks was focused on scouting out methamphetamine labs. Marijuana gardens were few in comparison and were rarely large-scale enterprises, according to Holly Bundock, chief NPS spokeswoman for California.

"We used to find smaller gardens every once in a while, but what is going on now is far more organized," says Al DeLaCruz, chief criminal investigator for Sequoia. "The impact [on] resources is very dramatic in terms of the refuse left behind; the damage to vegetation, soil, and water."

Besides clearing trees and brush to plant marijuana, growers often terrace the land, stirring up soil - and attracting plants that wouldn't otherwise take hold. Officials fear those exotic newcomers and the havoc they could wreak, reminiscent of an influx of star thistle on California ranch land that rendered millions of acres useless.

The diversion of water can also debilitate wildlife, especially in the dry season when many species come from far afield for summer's paltry trickles. Without water, animals will migrate elsewhere or die. And fertilizer in water is a major problem. When polluted runoff flows into lakes and streams, varying nitrate levels can kill fish species, launching a domino effect on the food chain.

"We have found evidence of insecticide contaminating groundwater, which can be devastating," says Colin Smith, a ranger at Point Reyes National Seashore.

Beyond agriculture's toll, there's the wear and tear of humans fending for themselves. DeLaCruz and others have found the remains of deer and bear that growers killed for food and of snakes and rodents they killed for sport.

To rangers, the most galling part of the story is that the National Park backcountry where marijuana is cultivated is designated wilderness by the 1964 Wilderness Act. Unlike the portions of national parks with campsites, roads, and restrooms, such areas are supposed to "retain their primeval character," preserve solitude, and keep man's imprint unnoticeable. Even rangers can't use saws or other motorized tools here. Regulations forbid clearing brush for campsites or fires, and guns are prohibited.

"Wilderness Designation is the highest possible protection for land under US law," says Ms. Bundock.

A hike through dense underbrush to the most accessible of the illicit camps gives a taste of how hard it is for growers to haul food and equipment. The sites are so remote, in fact, that harvests often must be helicoptered out.

Besides ammunition and guns, there are tents, cooking utensils, propane cylinders, and stacked 50-pound bags of fertilizer. Though a 10- to 15-foot canopy of dense trees conceals the camps' whereabouts, growers take the added precaution of camouflage tarping.

One ranger, who asked to remain anonymous, marveled at "how impossible this is to find from above. There is no other way to find [it] except on foot. And we don't have the staff or resources to ... scour these regions." Rangers say that cartels hire illegal immigrants to work and live in the camps, probably for months on end. They use public roads to access parks by night, scurry into the underbrush with supplies, and lug goods up steep hillsides by moonlight...

---------------------------------------------------

bearbait2k4
01-27-2004, 04:09
It appears as if the majority of people disagree with you here. In fact, I'm willing to bet that more people would be willing to pull together to erase intolerance from the AT than pot-smokers.

I vehemently oppose putting non-violent offenders in the same jails and prisons as murderers. This is how you create more problems, not solve the ones that already exist. Too much money is going and has already gone into establishments such as prisons, detention centers, and the like. Way too much. More money needs to be put into education. That's neither here nor there, though.

The fact is that you really need to just live and let live out on the trail. The fact also is that smoking pot is practically a present-day misdemeanor, depending on what state you are in. It's also unofficially (voted on by the people) legal in other areas of the U.S....and the BS about drug money, specifically from pot, going to terrorists and the like is just that...b.s, especially if you consider the actual amount that is grown in the US, Mexico and Canada.

But, let's not get started on a huge legality debate. You can't change everyone else, just yourself. So, don't try.

smokymtnsteve
01-27-2004, 10:11
Done Did .....Prohibition of cannabis is causing the type problem you describe...in a free society this subterfuge would not be nescessary.

PROTECT our NATIONAL PARKS!!

END CANNABIS PROHIBITION,

bfitz
01-27-2004, 21:30
wait a minute- isn't rugged idividualism one of our most valued traits and isn't respect and tolerance for others personal beliefs one of our most treasured ideals. Let me ask you...before you ran off terrified for your life to go report those evil pot smokers you encountered in the woods did you try to approach them? If you think pot smokers are dangerous than you have never, ever, known any. Most of the people I love in the world are pot smokers and they are the finest people, morally, intellectually and socially. I wonder if you are as bigoted in other areas of your thinking as in this one? Do you know what bigotry is? Do you consider yourself a bigot? I think you should try not to be narrow minded and try to interact with the next happy puffer you encounter. He may offer you some of what he's smoking. Mabye you should try a toke or two. (Don't rush into anything) Try to respectfully interact (dont let on that you are a raving bigot) try to note wether they are friendly to you before you are unfriendly to them. Perhaps arrange a small test of their kindness, because I have found that my pot smoking friends are generally much nicer people than the average person. You might ask for some help or food or something and see how they respond to a fellow hiker in need.
Lastly, in response to the guy who said money for alcohol doesn't go to bad things realize that these companies have been selling an addictive substace that is the cause of almost all of the social ills associated with addiction, and plays a larger role in child, spousal, and self abuse than any other factor. And I know personally the guy who grows my pot and kidly gives it to local aids and cancer patients whose lives would be far worse without this "criminal" and he doesn't give any of his money to terrorists. What little money he makes from his work is used to send his kids to school. Now it is true that while the govt keeps this black market element of our society alive, criminals will try to take advantage of the situation, so if terrorists are gettimg any money from pot smokers on the trail it is the governments fault.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2004, 22:26
Does your kind friend let or encourage his children to smoke that poison? The human lung, especially children's, aren't designed to process smoke of any kind. Dopers will rationalize anything.

bfitz
01-27-2004, 23:22
Well- that is the one anti-pot argument that holds any water at all. The fact is smoking is bad for your health. Especially pot smoke because it is unfiltered and is often held in for as long as possible to maximize bang for buck. It is also true that there is more than one way to consume marijuana. Cooking with it and inhaling "vapor hits" (where the pot is heated without burning it and only the thc vapor and not the damaging smoke particles are inhaled-if you have'nt heard of this you should look it up at the high times web site or something) are some healthy ways of consuming pot. Just because something can be "bad for you" does that negate any positive effect it might have? Is catching a buzz something you find morally reprehensible in it's own right, or is it only because of the health/legal consequences inherent in the use of it that you think its a bad idea? I believe that it is possible to lead a life of temperate pot use and suffer not one whit (assuming you don't live somewhere that the persecution of innocent, decent, people with different beliefs runs rampant). As far as my kind friend's children are concerned, he dosen't give them drugs any more than you give your children booze (I'm assuming you don't do that). That was a stupid thing to say, because it has nothing to do with the argument and was used to pull an emotional response from other readers of the threads rather than a rational argument against any of the things I said. I'm sure you will do better next time.

smokymtnsteve
01-27-2004, 23:41
MJ has medical uses..so it is not always bad for you.

the state of Maine has Medical MJ law on the books.

plus did you hear Art Garfunkel got busted last week in New York.
do you feel safer now?

bfitz
01-27-2004, 23:46
Much safer...that guy was a freakin menace.

Kozmic Zian
02-09-2004, 23:14
Well- that is the one anti-pot argument that holds any water at all. The fact is smoking is bad for your health. Especially pot smoke because it is unfiltered and is often held in for as long as possible to maximize bang for buck. It is also true that there is more than one way to consume marijuana. Cooking with it and inhaling "vapor hits" (where the pot is heated without burning it and only the thc vapor and not the damaging smoke particles are inhaled-if you have'nt heard of this you should look it up at the high times web site or something) are some healthy ways of consuming pot. Just because something can be "bad for you" does that negate any positive effect it might have? Is catching a buzz something you find morally reprehensible in it's own right, or is it only because of the health/legal consequences inherent in the use of it that you think its a bad idea? I believe that it is possible to lead a life of temperate pot use and suffer not one whit (assuming you don't live somewhere that the persecution of innocent, decent, people with different beliefs runs rampant). As far as my kind friend's children are concerned, he dosen't give them drugs any more than you give your children booze (I'm assuming you don't do that). That was a stupid thing to say, because it has nothing to do with the argument and was used to pull an emotional response from other readers of the threads rather than a rational argument against any of the things I said. I'm sure you will do better next time.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Yes, he's gettin' rather good at that if I do say so myself.....I say, live and let live....Hike your own Hike.....Act like a decent Human Being, and You'll Be Accepted as Such....The poor lst Poster probably has never been away from his community, town, house....and so consider the source. The only reason people condem pot is because it's illegal....If Advil was illegal, would people give a s*** if you took 2 cause your head hurt. How many people that are hypocritical about pot smokers are drinking, fixing their prescription drugs, so they can 'get high', taking what ever....The world is not round....Things and people will always do something that you don't neccessarily like or approve of. But, you don't go snitch to gestapo, or try to 'get them in trouble'....sit down and have a talk...."Can You and Your Buddys Smoke Over There, Please? That Stuff causes me hives....." or something.... What would you do get in a fight with, hit, slap, curse, tell the teacher, call the cops, everytime something in this world bangs your gong. Please....can we get on to more rational subject matter?........................................... .......KZ@

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:19
Obviously you don't know the "first poster". This whole thread is a joke. :welcome

Kozmic Zian
02-09-2004, 23:24
[QUOTE=L. Wolf]Obviously you don't know the "first poster". This whole thread is a joke.

Ok....sorry, for not following the whole thread. Maybe, you could find a way to be a little easier on TFNG's....Thanks. KZ@

Kozmic Zian
02-09-2004, 23:28
Ok....So we changed up a bit....I still feel you could be a little nicer to the FNG's . That's all. Peace.....KZ

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:28
Yup. I have met Easy Hiker. Have you? Where's the snippiness? Just tryin to help ya out. :sun

Happy
02-09-2004, 23:30
LW's telling you the truth on this one...this is a rebuttal to another post...a complete farce!

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:31
HUH??????????? :datz Calm down Koz.

Kozmic Zian
02-10-2004, 21:11
Look guys...when you have a new poster, dosen't it make sense to 'kind of take it easy, 'till they get their boots wet". Or do you just 'play games' indiscriminately with someone, till they hollar. What's the point? Runnin' folks off by 'having a sense of humor' can only be looked upon as childish and out of place in a free and open forum such as 'Whiteblaze'. If we knew each other, and I knew and recognized your behavior, and accepted it and you also, me....then who cares....But let's give the new guy the benefit of the doubt...Isn't that what The Trail is all about. Forget about 'sense of humor'...what's the 'trial' for...what does that prove? Comon.....choice up! KZ@

__________________________________________________ _______________
'Look where you are walking, because you will inevitably walk where you are looking.' anonamous...................

Rain Man
02-10-2004, 21:37
Look guys...when you have a new poster, dosen't it make sense to 'kind of take it easy, 'till they get their boots wet".

You're absolutely right and not the first to run into this. It's sad, really, but chronic.

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
02-10-2004, 21:47
Go back and read the whole thread. Nobody is picking on new posters. Thicker skin might be in order especially if you new posters have already hiked the trail. This is a useless thread. Get over it. :)

bfitz
02-13-2004, 00:27
Oh...ok...well, I cant wait to smoke a bowl with all you guys at traildaze. :datz :rolleyes:

bfitz
02-13-2004, 00:31
oops that little green guy is beating his own head...I thought it would look like he was beating the rolling eyes guy's head in. Anyway I think its really cool we invaded Iraq cuz that saddam hussein guy was a real *******. what do you guys think?

Happy
02-13-2004, 01:06
Go back and read the whole thread. Nobody is picking on new posters. Thicker skin might be in order especially if you new posters have already hiked the trail. This is a useless thread. Get over it. :)

I agree and this comes from a true 60's guy!!!

Nightwalker
02-13-2004, 15:49
There are some states that allow medical marijuana. California and Arizona come to mind. I think if it's ok in those two states, it oughta be legal in every state. A friend of mine has multiple sclerosis and confined to a wheelchair. Her doctor told her if she can get it, smoke it. Not only does it aid in her nausea and help diminish the muscle spasms in her legs, it also slows the disease down. She has chronic progressive MS, she never goes into remission, just keeps getting worse. To withhold something that can help her is cruel, imho.

My doctor told me long ago, I can't help you get it, but I won't lie to you by saying that it won't help your migraines.

Unfortunately, the judge wouldn't care less, so I can still pass a pee/blood test. :)

Frank

smokymtnsteve
02-13-2004, 20:01
Isn't that sad frank. laws against medical MJ are barbaric...

Lint
02-13-2004, 21:13
I'm guessing there aren't many backpacking punx on this site. Damn, outnumbered again!

Nightwalker
02-14-2004, 02:01
Isn't that sad frank. laws against medical MJ are barbaric...

Yep, but you can bet that if Seagrams could make a buck on it, it'd be legal. :)

Frank

Rain Man
02-14-2004, 18:19
Yep, but you can bet that if Seagrams could make a buck on it, it'd be legal.

You got that right. Too many politicians are definitely For Sale.

:mad:

smokymtnsteve
02-14-2004, 18:34
well someone is making money (and costing tax payers a bundle)

and endangering lives...

http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm

steve hiker
02-14-2004, 20:50
Yep, but you can bet that if Seagrams could make a buck on it, it'd be legal. :) Frank
That's the damn truth. Actually the liquor companies could make a buck on pot, but they couldn't corner the market they way they have with alcohol manufacturing. Since pot only requires a plot of earth and not a sophisticated distilling factory to produce, there would be many more producers. This would present a direct threat to the liquor companies profit margins since pot would be competing with liquor as a public intoxicant. So the liquor companies pay the politicians to keep pot illegal.

All boils down to the profit motive.

bfitz
02-15-2004, 02:35
don't forget the fact that they've turned jail into an industry and streaming revenue source (if you don't end up going to jail (providing jobs for people who guard and maintain not to mention build the jails) you still end up feeding a crapload of money into the system via your lawyer and/or whatever fines and seizure hoops you have to jump through) (how do you like that-parentheses inside parentheses (is that allowed?)) I'm going to one up you all and say that all drugs should be decriminalized. Even crack. I'll listen to a few responses before I print my reasons (although some of them are obviously obvious)

azchipka
02-15-2004, 03:50
bfitz,

I completely agree with you. Like you ill wait till someone throws up there whole your wrong and everyone deserves to be in jail or go to hell if they do drugs.

Nightwalker
02-15-2004, 04:01
I'm going to one up you all and say that all drugs should be decriminalized. Even crack. I'll listen to a few responses before I print my reasons (although some of them are obviously obvious)

You'd probably only have to see a close family member ruin their entire life once or twice chasing rocks to disagree with that. My bro'-in-law just can't stay off of it, and can't keep even the most menial job because of it. Before he started, he was a real "upstanding citizen" type, and having it legal wouldn't make him chase it less, it'd just make him do more of it (cheaper, dontcha know).

I don't have any close family who are junkies, but I've seen 1 old friend die from it, and legalization wouldn't have changed that either.

However, have your own opinion, and I won't hammer you over it just because we disagree.

Frank

smokymtnsteve
02-15-2004, 13:03
You'd probably only have to see a close family member ruin their entire life once or twice chasing rocks to disagree with that. My bro'-in-law just can't stay off of it, and can't keep even the most menial job because of it. Before he started, he was a real "upstanding citizen" type, and having it legal wouldn't make him chase it less, it'd just make him do more of it (cheaper, dontcha know).

I don't have any close family who are junkies, but I've seen 1 old friend die from it, and legalization wouldn't have changed that either.

However, have your own opinion, and I won't hammer you over it just because we disagree.

Frank

but as I see it Frank having Prohibition on these subtances didn't keep them from doing it eithier. How Many people are going to start smoking crack if it becomes legal and regulated? do you think you would give it a try? I'm certainly not.

Nightwalker
02-15-2004, 15:25
but as I see it Frank having Prohibition on these subtances didn't keep them from doing it eithier. How Many people are going to start smoking crack if it becomes legal and regulated? do you think you would give it a try? I'm certainly not.

Neither would I, but I remember being a teenager and thinking back at some of the weird stuff that I and other kids did to try to be "cool", who knows?

We paid guys to go get us beer, we probably would have paid them to get us a rock at the convenience store as well.

smokymtnsteve
02-15-2004, 16:34
here in atlanta it is no problem for a tennager or anyone to buy rock that wants it..it is harder for a tennager to buy beer than rock...

legal alcohol merchants check ID's for legal age..rock dealers never do.

bfitz
02-18-2004, 00:18

Frank
I might have a more intimate understanding than you might suspect. My personal experience is that I get to decide what I do and that it is difficult but not impossible to do the right thing, and its easy to know the right thing to do. (just listen to that little voice) I am not saying legalization will help junkies, but ending the drug war will stop hurting them, and ruining the lives of family members and neighborhoods, and the disenfranchising of already underpriveledged populations. Thanks for not hammering but I thought we were having a lively if not impassioned debate, so bring it on thats the way I like it.

dwalker
11-07-2010, 12:30
this is a bit ridiculous, haha. they aren't doing ANY harm. haha, let them enjoy their near-harmless drug in peace you weirdo, jeezus. leave people alone.

dwalker
11-07-2010, 12:33
Who caresif he's a criminal? It's an unjust law. Prohibition existed before it. Now alcohol's legal.

mweinstone
11-07-2010, 12:36
hey former easy! men are dieing fighting for your freedoms. you are a weak complaining baby who would give this much of your time to potsmokeing but wouldnt raise a finger to help a brother in need. your horrid. go far away now. pot aint a problem for you. get a life. your an idiot.

Appalachian Tater
11-07-2010, 12:36
Zombie thread comes alive and the mods prepare to attack it!

Luddite
11-07-2010, 12:43
hey former easy! men are dieing fighting for your freedoms. you are a weak complaining baby who would give this much of your time to potsmokeing but wouldnt raise a finger to help a brother in need. your horrid. go far away now. pot aint a problem for you. get a life. your an idiot.

This is a very old thread. For all we know Former Easy might actually be smoking now.

mweinstone
11-07-2010, 13:04
okay. now that ive had coffie and some glucose id like to wish everyone a drug free life.i am currently drug free. and never ever want to do drugs.

Luddite
11-07-2010, 13:06
okay. now that ive had coffie and some glucose id like to wish everyone a drug free life.i am currently drug free. and never ever want to do drugs.

You're deliberately being ironical, right?

mweinstone
11-07-2010, 13:11
um, whatever that magnetic sounding word you made up means.....no.

Luddite
11-07-2010, 13:30
Ironical? I think its a real word.

Coffee is a drug. I think me and the Mormons are the only ones that think so though.

StubbleJumper
11-07-2010, 14:59
The trail is a drug!

hikerboy57
11-07-2010, 15:22
Chances are at some point in your life you committed a sexual act that may technically be illegal. Live and let live.Alcohol and tobacco, both legal DRUGS, kill more peolple each year than ALL OTHER DRUGS COMBINED!! I smoke pot, dont do it around mixed company, respectful about others rights. John wayne Gacy also drank beer, by the way, and I understand coffee would put him over the edge..

notorius tic
11-07-2010, 15:25
*** are you going on this

Mongoose2
11-07-2010, 16:24
The point is if they want to smoke pot they should stay home. I am highy allergic to pot smoke and just a whiff from seven miles back on the trail could kill me. The point is no illegal activity should be allowed on the trail. Period.

A whiff of bull$hit from seven miles back on the trail could kill me. I smell it!

njordan2
11-07-2010, 16:25
Don't smoke marijuana. It makes you stupid. Oh, and it is illegal.

Skidsteer
11-07-2010, 16:45
Chances are at some point in your life you committed a sexual act that may technically be illegal

If I was smoking pot I'd be really, really paranoid right now.

Pedaling Fool
11-07-2010, 17:24
I think this needs to be discussed, we need to pull together and end drug use on the trail once and for all.
I know he's no longer with us, but can anyone tell me how's this task force working out:D

leaftye
11-07-2010, 17:26
When I'm hiking I don't care as long as they make an effort to keep it away from me. I'm more concerned about illegals, but even those aren't worth the effort to report.

Luddite
11-07-2010, 17:35
Don't smoke marijuana. It makes you stupid. Oh, and it is illegal.

Doesn't make you stupid and what isn't illegal these days. Personally, I hate weed its makes me panicky and paranoid. If you do smoke it on the trail you should definitely be discreet and smoke it away from the shelters. I'd rather be around stoners than a bunch of whiskey drinking weekend warriors.

thelowend
11-07-2010, 17:56

I'm confused as to why someone else's smoking bothers YOU so much. Commie

Mags
11-07-2010, 18:31
I'm confused as to why someone else's smoking bothers YOU so much. Commie

Maybe you don't realize it, but these responses are to a post almost 7 yrs old... :)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vAyuE7Q_32l4SM:http://www.histpres-technology.net/hamtechtalk/photos/zombie-thread.png&t=1

4eyedbuzzard
11-07-2010, 20:51
Maybe you don't realize it, but these responses are to a post almost 7 yrs old... :)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vAyuE7Q_32l4SM:http://www.histpres-technology.net/hamtechtalk/photos/zombie-thread.png&t=1

Maybe he's stoned? :D

FWIW though thelowend (and sorry for the jab), the OP was a member for a whopping 2 months and hasn't posted since 2004. I don't think he'll likely read your commie response. Roll another fatty and don't sweat the small stuff. ;)

Lion King
11-07-2010, 20:59
I suggest you stay home behind your locked doors and continue living a life full of fear and judgement.

pot smokers arent the problem, tis the damn drunks.

Lion King
11-07-2010, 21:02
oh jezz...its acient...and a troll

lol

Skidsteer
11-07-2010, 21:08

FWIW though thelowend (and sorry for the jab), the OP was a member for a whopping 2 months and hasn't posted since 2004. I don't think he'll likely read your commie response. Roll another fatty and don't sweat the small stuff. ;)

Actually, Easy is the founder of this site.

4eyedbuzzard
11-07-2010, 21:33
TY for the info. Then maybe he will read it under a different name? Either way, it's a zombie thread on a pretty pointless subject. The feds aren't even looking at the commercialization of pot growing in CA even though cultivation IS a federal felony. Pot laws have pretty much become a joke once again. Personally, I was done with it years ago, but I can't see wasting tax dollars on enforcement. Get the unenforced laws off the books, regulate it - and tax it.

Johnny Thunder
11-07-2010, 21:35
i'd be more interested in removing bigotry from the trail.

and the drunk. let's not forget the drunks.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2010, 21:43
I thought I would weigh in with this, the real reason you can't smoke pot legally. Just the messenger here (I really don't care) but the thread is a good read.

In the United States (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/United_States) the first restrictions for sale of cannabis came in 1906 (in District of Columbia (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/District_of_Columbia)).In 1937, the Marijuana Transfer Tax Act (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Marijuana_Transfer_Tax_Act) was passed, and prohibited the production of hemp in addition to marijuana. The reasons that hemp (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Hemp) was also included in this law are disputed. The Federal Bureau of Narcotics agents reported that fields with hemp (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Hemp) were also used as a source for marijuana dealers. Other authors claim have claimed that it was passed in order to destroy the hemp industry, largely as an effort of businessmen Andrew Mellon (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Andrew_Mellon), Randolph Hearst (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Randolph_Hearst), and the Du Pont family (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Du_Pont_family). With the invention of the decorticator (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Decorticator), hemp became a very cheap substitute for the paper pulp (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Paper_pulp) that was used in the newspaper industry. Hearst felt that this was a threat to his extensive timber (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Timber) holdings. Mellon, Secretary of the Treasury (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Secretary_of_the_Treasury) and the wealthiest man in America, had invested heavily in the Du Pont families new synthetic fiber, nylon (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Nylon), which was also being out competed by hemp.

Skidsteer
11-07-2010, 21:44
TY for the info. Then maybe he will read it under a different name?

Possibly.

Easy lecturing others about substance abuse is, umm, ironic if you know what I mean.

4eyedbuzzard
11-07-2010, 21:55
i'd be more interested in removing bigotry from the trail.

and the drunk. let's not forget the drunks.

and the dogs, and cell phones, and guitar, banjo, and harmonica players, and snorers, and noisy scout troops, and proselytizers, and smokers, and . . .

I give up. I guess I'll just have to learn to take the trail and all its imperfections as I find it ;)

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2010, 22:02

You're deliberately being ironical, right?

Caffiene is a drug... damn that's funny.... Caffiene Nazi's hiding behind trees and using sqirt guns...

I can't believe this old thread. Wow the guy that started it was way out there, must have been a graduate of D.a.r.e.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2010, 22:15

Well he had his ideals and got off to a good start at pissing on everybody.. made some real freinds.:rolleyes:

Johnny Thunder
11-07-2010, 22:39
and the dogs, and cell phones, and guitar, banjo, and harmonica players, and snorers, and noisy scout troops, and proselytizers, and smokers, and . . .

I give up. I guess I'll just have to learn to take the trail and all its imperfections as I find it ;)

that's what i meant. no one's perfect. laws don't factor into it. we're all flawed. even the original poster to this thread. just don't be a dick and you're set.

Lugnut
11-07-2010, 22:40
Possibly.

Easy lecturing others about substance abuse is, umm, ironic if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. I'm still in contact with him at times and it seems times haven't changed. :rolleyes:

thelowend
11-08-2010, 01:22

I realized that the thread was started years ago when I posted. Made me feel better though. =) (lol, I don't even smoke anymore! Just a huge believer in personal freedoms.. especially those that have no effect on anybody else)

beakerman
11-08-2010, 01:38
dont wanna keep this already long dead thread alive but I'll ad my 2 cents worth...

first of all I really don't care what the frack you do to your body as long as you follow these three simple rules: 1) if I'm here first or it is illegal and I ask you to stop you do so...some folks are alergic to some things and I happen to be alergic to pot...2) I don't have to deal with your obnoxious behavior...in other words don't go getting so drunk you're falling down hurting yourself or others or fighting and such and 3) don't ask me to pay for reparing your body after years of abusing it.

PREtty simple basically don't bother me with it now or later and I dont care what you do....legal or not.

I would add that illegal drugs are getting lots of folks killed down on the southern border because there is so much money involved...I do have a problem with that so smoke your weed just make sure its grown here in the states...remember each American joint you smoke puts food on a fellow countryman's table for one more day!

Buy American!

strollingalong
11-08-2010, 01:42
I don't smoke marijuana. I make you stupid. Oh, and i is illegal.

huh?

DapperD
11-08-2010, 12:55
There are lot's of people who use drugs such as pot and alcohol, etc...the thing is I doubt many heavy smokers and drinkers are actually able to complete a long distance hike like the A.T. in one season due to the fact that an abundance of energy, strength and determination/perserverance is required. Since heavy partying saps these, I don't think too many hard core partyer's overall will be able to pull it off:-?.

Sly
11-08-2010, 13:05
LOL... is this thread for real? Atleast 4 of the states on the AT have decriminalized pot and on Federal land they give you a ticket.

Luddite
11-08-2010, 13:06
Caffiene is a drug... damn that's funny.... Caffiene Nazi's hiding behind trees and using sqirt guns...

I can't believe this old thread. Wow the guy that started it was way out there, must have been a graduate of D.a.r.e.

Well...I'm no graduate of DARE. I was simply pointing out that Caffeine is a drug. People think whats illegal is always wrong and whats legal is always right.

Big Dawg
11-08-2010, 13:32
The legislative process that determines whether something is a criminal act or a non-criminal act is directly associated with the confines of a given cultural paradigm. And this varies from one culture to the next, and from one era to the next within a culture. Therefore, in the grand scheme of things - it is largely arbitrary. And the perceived difference between alcohol and pot is a prime example of that. It is a highly dangerous endeavor to equate legality with morality.

Hey Lone Wolf - first of all, I'm not ignorant of the reality that these cops believe in, so I would never be using that "line of BS" with them, and I wouldn't be possessing something they would bust me for anyway. I was simply stating that while we as a culture, we are so fully conditioned and obsessed with the notion of the rule of law, we seem to forget that the law-making bodies who make these decisions have no better a grasp of universal truths than the rest of us do. Much of their motivation comes from adhering to passed down cultural baggage or with whatever is politically expedient at the time. Ultimately it comes down each individual making their own determination of what those truths (or absolutes) are. Otherwise you get the usual "I was just following orders" type of mentality, such as "pot is illegal, therefore it's wrong" and "alcohol is legal, therefore it's not wrong". It would be nice if people could think for themselves instead of relying on the environment they were born into to do the thinking for them.

Well said Weathercarrot.

Let's come back to this thread in a few years,,,, pot will probably be legal then.

IMHO, pot is in the same category as alky, caffeine, and the like. Today's class 1 designation of marijuana is a complete joke.

Oh, and I don't smoke the stuff,,, but i do have common sense, and have no problem w/ others who do.

the goat
11-08-2010, 14:00
There are lot's of people who use drugs such as pot and alcohol, etc...the thing is I doubt many heavy smokers and drinkers are actually able to complete a long distance hike like the A.T. in one season due to the fact that an abundance of energy, strength and determination/perserverance is required. Since heavy partying saps these, I don't think too many hard core partyer's overall will be able to pull it off:-?.

lol! have you completed a thru dapper?

i'm guessing not, or you'd know just how incorrect your above statement is....:)

Luddite
11-08-2010, 14:07
...the thing is I doubt many heavy smokers and drinkers are actually able to complete a long distance hike like the A.T. in one season due to the fact that an abundance of energy, strength and determination/perserverance is required.

I'm not a partier, but I do drink and smoke and I still have energy, strength and determination/perseverance. Of course, smoking sure isn't gunna help my thru hike.

sbhikes
11-08-2010, 16:13
I thought topics about pot were not allowed on Whiteblaze.

Luddite
11-08-2010, 16:43
I thought topics about pot were not allowed on Whiteblaze.

When I said I smoke I meant cigarettes.

Ender
11-08-2010, 16:57
Old zombie thread and TOS#4. Shutting this one down.