PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness

adrifft
01-12-2008, 19:28
We will be doing a section hike in late June in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Last year we started at Jo Mary Rd. and hiked north, finishing with Katahdin. This year we plan to start at Jo Mary Rd. and hike south to Monson. I have read that there can be some difficult water crossings on this section. Can anyone offer any experiences or advice? Do any crossings ever get so bad that you just can't get across? If so, are there any alternate routes? Is the water level usually low during the summer? We are experienced backpackers having completed the Whites and a good portion of Maine over the last 6 years. Thanks in advance for any advice.

the_iceman
01-12-2008, 19:36
I have done this section twice now. Just this summer at the end of my thru hike and about 10 or 15 years ago. The water crossings were tougher 15 years ago than this year but this was a drought year.

Little Wilson was the hard one back then because you crossed at the base of the falls. This year I just walked from rock to rock further down stream. The Big Wilson is crossed further up stream from what I remember and is a little harder than I remembered but still easy. There is one more but the Hermitage that had to be waded but was easy as well.

weary
01-12-2008, 21:54
A severe storm can make streams a bit difficult, but streams also drain rapidly in the "wilderness." On very rare occasions you might be advised to wait a day before crossing a couple of streams, but generally by mid summer one can cross most streams without getting your boots wet.

Spring often poses problems. One early June I once saw a southbounder try to cross a stream with her boots off and pack belt loosened. She passed us barefoot and without a pack, asking if I knew where her shoes and pack might have landed.

I couldn't offer her any help. "Somewheres between here and the Ocean," I said.

Weary

rafe
01-13-2008, 00:35
Crocs and hiking poles should help. Don't try to do it barefoot; the rocks under your feet can be very slippery.

boarstone
01-13-2008, 09:45
We will be doing a section hike in late June in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Last year we started at Jo Mary Rd. and hiked north, finishing with Katahdin. This year we plan to start at Jo Mary Rd. and hike south to Monson. I have read that there can be some difficult water crossings on this section. Can anyone offer any experiences or advice? Do any crossings ever get so bad that you just can't get across? If so, are there any alternate routes? Is the water level usually low during the summer? We are experienced backpackers having completed the Whites and a good portion of Maine over the last 6 years. Thanks in advance for any advice.

adrift: Check back just before your hike, I post any weather/trail problems I encounter in the "100 mile wilderness" as the hiking season starts up this way. Or I can be reached at svivor(at)midmaine.com for updates. This is my back yard and I try to check it often and get feedback from hikers as I run into them, about trail conditions etc...stay tuned....:)

adrifft
01-14-2008, 12:27
Thanks for your posts.

Kirby
01-14-2008, 21:31
When I went through this summer, water levels were quite low, there was only one ford that I could not rock hop(NOBO, right before the hermitage), the rest were easy.

Kirby