PDA

View Full Version : New Guide Book

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2008, 19:38
I saw the ad at the top of the home page for the new AT guide, Appalachian Pages. Decided to order one just to see............did anyone else order one?? Know anymore about it?? :confused:

Hooch
01-12-2008, 20:10
I haven't seen a copy of it (http://appalachianpages.com/) yet, but I do know that is was written by our very own Rick "ATTroll" Towle and David "Awol" Miller. I'd say it'd be worth taking a look at. :D

attroll
01-12-2008, 21:07
We are expecting the book to arrive to us from the publisher withing a week and a half if all goes well and we will ship them out as soon as we get them. I hope that they all meet everyones expectations.

Kirby
01-12-2008, 21:11
We are expecting the book to arrive to us from the publisher withing a week and a half if all goes well and we will ship them out as soon as we get them. I hope that they all meet everyones expectations.

Made any deals to sell it in stores like EMS, REI, etc?

Kirby

PS:
Thanks for getting the site back in such speed.

Hooch
01-12-2008, 21:16
Lookin forward to it, Troll. I'm sure it'll be excellent, considering the writers. :) BTW, for anyone who hasn't read Awol's book, get read it, love it. Just finished mine and it was a great read!

kayak karl
01-13-2008, 01:21
i ordered 3 copies. haven't been this excited since i ordered my x-ray glasses:D.

Terry7
01-13-2008, 15:25
I have not read it yet, but reading the web site makes me think that this is the one book to have.

attroll
01-13-2008, 17:19
I have a bit of new news to pass on.

We are pleased to announce another innovation; the first AT handbook designed for southbound hikers! Appalachian Pages: 2008 Southbound Edition will have all the same material as the original handbook. There will be mileage data, town data and profile maps, presented in north-to-south order for ease of use by southbound hikers. A limited quantity of this edition will be available in March of 2008 and sold only on this website. The 2008 Southbound Edition is not available unbounded. Please visit Appalachian Pages (http://www.appalachianpages.com).

kayak karl
01-13-2008, 17:27

We are pleased to announce another innovation; the first AT handbook designed for southbound hikers! Appalachian Pages: 2008 Southbound Edition will have all the same material as the original handbook. There will be mileage data, town data and profile maps, presented in north-to-south order for ease of use by southbound hikers. A limited quantity of this edition will be available in March of 2008 and sold only on this website. The 2008 Southbound Edition is not available unbounded. Please visit Appalachian Pages (http://www.appalachianpages.com).
if i already ordered can i switch them to SOBO?

attroll
01-13-2008, 17:35
if i already ordered can i switch them to SOBO?

Yes if you pre-ordered you will be able to switch. Awol will be sending out emails to everyone that pre-ordered and giving them the opportunity to switch. Send me a PM Karl and let me know how many of the books you ordered that you want to switch to a SOBO version and I will make sure Awol gets the info. The SOBO version will be available prior to the SOBO start of the hiking season which is usually the last week of May or first week of June. We are still working on completing the SOBO version right now.

Appalachian Tater
01-13-2008, 17:40

We are pleased to announce another innovation; the first AT handbook designed for southbound hikers!

Didn't Wingfoot publish a southbound guide for a couple of years? He was selling them with the rest of his stuff.

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 17:56
I ordered yesterday. I am assuming it will be a northbound edition since I did not see any choices. When will they be shipped? Thanks!!

attroll
01-13-2008, 18:25
I ordered yesterday. I am assuming it will be a northbound edition since I did not see any choices. When will they be shipped? Thanks!!
Yes it will be a NOBO edition. They should be shipped to all that order the NOBO edition within the next week and a half.

A-Train
01-13-2008, 18:31
Didn't Wingfoot publish a southbound guide for a couple of years? He was selling them with the rest of his stuff.

Yes he did. I believe his would be the first.

What information do the Appalachian Pages provide that the other guides don't? Not trying to stir the pot. I know nothing about them. Just curious

Bearpaw
01-13-2008, 18:36

What information do the Appalachian Pages provide that the other guides don't? Not trying to stir the pot. I know nothing about them. Just curious

The format with data book info on the front page, more text info on the other, and profile maps watermarked over the other info is unlike any thing I know of. It will give tremendous information that the hiker can have available tucked into a cargo pocket as he or she hikes. The perforated pages also sound pretty useful.

Critterman
01-23-2008, 17:16
Received the book today and it is great. You guys did a great job.

Jaybird62
01-23-2008, 17:33
I also received a copy, very informative with "useful" information. Would recomend to anyone who is planning either a short or long hike. Thanks for a great book at a great price.

Kirby
01-23-2008, 18:29
Perhaps since everyone is starting to receive their copy of the Appalachian Pages, someone who has had experience with the other guidebooks should compare them on this thread.

Just an idea,
Kirby

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2008, 18:32
In regards to Kirby's sugestion, if we're going to start a discussion in which the major 2008 Guidebooks are to be reviewed, commented on, or most of all, compared, then I think that this should be done on a separate thread.

Kirby
01-23-2008, 19:29
In regards to Kirby's sugestion, if we're going to start a discussion in which the major 2008 Guidebooks are to be reviewed, commented on, or most of all, compared, then I think that this should be done on a separate thread.

Will do.

Thanks,
Kirby

Christopher Robin
02-25-2008, 17:21
Yes if you pre-ordered you will be able to switch. Awol will be sending out emails to everyone that pre-ordered and giving them the opportunity to switch. Send me a PM Karl and let me know how many of the books you ordered that you want to switch to a SOBO version and I will make sure Awol gets the info. The SOBO version will be available prior to the SOBO start of the hiking season which is usually the last week of May or first week of June. We are still working on completing the SOBO version right now.
So if the SOBO. if bonded I would like to order 1 NOBO. loose leaf please.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2008, 17:23
So if the SOBO. if bonded I would like to order 1 NOBO. loose leaf please.Go here to do that - the book isn't connected to this site. http://www.appalachianpages.com/

CrumbSnatcher
02-25-2008, 17:28

i believe wingfoot was second,the philosheres guide precedid wingfoot then he took it over

Survivor Dave
02-25-2008, 17:35
Exceeded my expectations. It's a great book with an informative website. Be taking it with me this April.

SD

CrumbSnatcher
02-25-2008, 17:35
In regards to Kirby's sugestion, if we're going to start a discussion in which the major 2008 Guidebooks are to be reviewed, commented on, or most of all, compared, then I think that this should be done on a separate thread.make it easy jack,just tell us which one to buy.

CrumbSnatcher
02-25-2008, 17:36
i believe wingfoot was second,the philosheres guide precedid wingfoot then he took it over
ATRAIN did you mean the first sobo edition?

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2008, 18:53
Crumb:

I will NOT tell you, or anyone else which one to buy.

That being said, it is my considered opinion that Bob MccCaw's updated version of Dan Bruce's Thru-Hikers Handbook is, without question, the most complete, most accurate, and easiest-on-the eye of any of the 2008 Trail Guides.

In second place, I'd put the Thru-Hikers Companion, which in the past few years has been as accurate as the Handbook or better, but is a bit harder on the eye to use, and has inferior maps.

And in third, I'd put Appalachian Pages, which has a few interesting innovations (such as partial elevation profiles), but is frequently lacking useful and important information, mostly concerning towns, and certainly has maps that are inferior to the Handbook.

I will use (and am using) all three boks to plan my travels for this Spring.

But when I get to Georgia, I'll be packing the Handbook.

A-Train
02-25-2008, 19:40
ATRAIN did you mean the first sobo edition?

Yes, first SOBO, not general AT guidebook