PDA

View Full Version : #10 cans

wtmntcaretaker
01-12-2008, 21:41
So I am looking at resupplying in towns and mail drops during my AT hike this year. I found freeze dried meats in #10 cans that I thought might be good for my mail drops. I don't know how much to buy though. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the #10 cans and how much there is reconstituted and how many cans I should get. If anyone has other protein and veggie options on trail incorporate those too. Thanks

kayak karl
01-13-2008, 01:12
So I am looking at resupplying in towns and mail drops during my AT hike this year. I found freeze dried meats in #10 cans that I thought might be good for my mail drops. I don't know how much to buy though. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the #10 cans and how much there is reconstituted and how many cans I should get. If anyone has other protein and veggie options on trail incorporate those too. Thanks
a #10 can makes a good wood stove:). thats alot of meat. did u already buy a can? how many meals did it make?

wtmntcaretaker
01-13-2008, 11:06
no I havn't purchased a can yet. kinda wanted to see what others might know about it.

mudhead
01-13-2008, 11:07
If anyone has other protein and veggie options on trail incorporate those too. Thanks

Health food store has flavored TVP in bulk. Different shapes/sizes.

Option. Prepare for the anti-soy parade.

Appalachian Tater
01-13-2008, 11:47

The amount of food in a can of a certain size depends on what kind of food it is. It should say on the can, or you can look it up online.

sarbar
01-13-2008, 14:44
If you do go for it, be sure to seal the meat into meal sized packages using a food vac. The meat is fine as long is doesn't pick up moisture (which it will out of the air!)

As for the TVP...Harmony House Foods online sells a wide variety of it at reasonable prices (along with some of the best dried veggies and beans for trail use). When I use it. I use about 1-2 Tbsp per person in a meal. The Hamburger and Taco versions are quite tasty. And unlike real meat it takes a lot to make the stuff go bad on trail.

Blissful
01-13-2008, 20:26
We dehydrated our own beef and also made jerky and made out good with that. You will need someone though to take it out of a freezer and put it in a mail drop (freezer keeps it fresh until it's mailed). I also liked the foil pouch meat as well - spam, chicken, and tuna.
In stores you can get hummus to reconstitute, sometimes other beans as well. And of course there's good ol' PB.

turtle fast
01-13-2008, 21:35
Are these mountain house freeze dried cans? I have found you can vaccume seal them into little pouches and suck the air out of them....in fact you can make entire meals out of them by adding freeze dried peas, green beans, corn and instant gravy mix for stews. Though vaccume sealers can be pricey if you don't have one already they can do alot for a hiker.

Thoughtful Owl
01-14-2008, 14:36
I have also seen, chicken breast and salmon in packets over in the isle where the tuna is. Has anyone tried these type of things out? How are they?

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 14:37
pricey but good