PDA

View Full Version : New Memorial Stickers for Meredith ...

fishinfred
01-12-2008, 22:01
I am making these for EVERYONE I can .I posted them along with some of the Memorial Services that are taking place on my Hiker Page (http://members.tripod.com/fredor111/id26.htm). Winton said her boyfriend requested this new REMEMBER M.E. sticker so thats what I am making now . I hope you all will get one (FREE FROM THE HEART) and shine it on!
SHINE ON MEREDITH!
:sun
We won't forget you!

PEACE & CONDOLENCES to the family and ALL
FF

Kirby
01-12-2008, 22:09
How does one go about receiving one of these?

Kirby

Hooch
01-12-2008, 22:27
How does one go about receiving one of these?

KirbyKirby, if you click on FF's link above, it'll take you to his page. There's an address to send an SASE to and he'll send you a sticker. I'll see him at SoRuck to get one.

Hooch
01-12-2008, 22:28
I am making these for EVERYONE I can .I posted them along with some of the Memorial Services that are taking place on my Hiker Page (http://members.tripod.com/fredor111/id26.htm). Winton said her boyfriend requested this new REMEMBER M.E. sticker so thats what I am making now . I hope you all will get one (FREE FROM THE HEART) and shine it on!
SHINE ON MEREDITH!
We won't forget you!

PEACE & CONDOLENCES to the family and ALL
FF

By the way, Fishin Fred, thanks for doing doing this for Meredith and for everyone. You're one class act piece of hiker trash!

Kirby
01-12-2008, 22:32
Should I address the envelope to Fred?

Kirby

Hooch
01-12-2008, 22:34

KirbyYup. Fishin Fred.

Bulldawg
01-12-2008, 23:25
Thanks a ton FF. I will more than likely be at Mountain Crossings next Sunday and will pick up one then. This is a fitting tribute. I hope every THRU stops at Winton's and gets one this year.

River Runner
01-12-2008, 23:31
Thank you Fishin' Fred. I'm sending an envelope your way. This is an awesome offer.

SouthMark
01-12-2008, 23:37
By the way, Fishin Fred, thanks for doing doing this for Meredith and for everyone. You're one class act piece of hiker trash!

I second that.

Sly
01-13-2008, 00:35

Kirby

The return address on a package I got was from F. Fred :D

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 00:40
I wonder if we could generate enough interest to get a sticker into every register along the trail.

Paws
01-13-2008, 01:03
Thanks FF for doing this - your a pretty thoughtful guy.

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 01:15
I wonder if we could generate enough interest to get a sticker into every register along the trail.

What an awesome idea!!:-?:-?:-?

Miss Janet
01-13-2008, 01:15
I just spoke to Winton a few hours ago and he said that Meredith's boyfriend really liked the stickers. He said the man was really touched by your efforts. You're a good man, FF!!

I am so happy that I am going to get to see you!!

Sly
01-13-2008, 01:18

They're the type of sticker that looks like it needs a smooth non porous surface.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 01:19
What an awesome idea!!:-?:-?:-?

I second that!

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 01:27
They're the type of sticker that looks like it needs a smooth non porous surface.

Well, it doesn't have to be a sticker. We could all write with a bold marker "Remember M.E." and circle it.

Sly
01-13-2008, 01:33
Well, it doesn't have to be a sticker. We could all write with a bold marker "Remember M.E." and circle it.

Of course.

I just figured something out. They're like a decal, you peal, stick and peal. The will stick to paper but the oval out line and name are in white so they don't show up very well on white background.

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 02:18
I just spoke to Winton a few hours ago and he said that Meredith's boyfriend really liked the stickers. He said the man was really touched by your efforts. You're a good man, FF!!

I am so happy that I am going to get to see you!!

Are the stickers already at Mountain Crossings?

Bob S
01-13-2008, 04:10
This is going to sound insensitive, and I mean no disrespect. But how is having a sticker on your backpack going to change this or make it better? To me it’s a feel good thing that accomplishes nothing. It really does nothing to address the problem. I have never been a person that embraces symbolism over action to fix a problem.

Better to devote efforts to make woman more aware of the bad things that can and do happen, and to try to come up with ideas to prevent this from happening again.

I know most will disagree with me and attack me & my post but after you get mad and cool down, ask yourself how the sticker will really help anything.

Sly
01-13-2008, 04:26
Bob S from Fred's website...

I made these Memorial Stickers for ALL TO HAVE as a "reminder" that we all have to watch out for each other out there "AND FOR AN ANGEL" who just wanted to start the new year off with a HIKE UP THE MOUNTAIN with her dog ......and was taken away from this life too soon.

envirodiver
01-13-2008, 04:33
Bob it seems to me that it is a reminder. It keeps the memory of what happened from fading over time. From that respect I do think it will make a difference. So that the ladies don't forget and perhaps lapse into a less alert mode, and as FF said on his site, to remind us to watch out for each other.

So from that standpoint I think yes it will help things.

A question to you is what will it hurt?

FF that is a very nice thing that you are doing.

Miss Janet
01-13-2008, 05:07
This is going to sound insensitive, and I mean no disrespect. But how is having a sticker on your backpack going to change this or make it better? To me it’s a feel good thing that accomplishes nothing. It really does nothing to address the problem. I have never been a person that embraces symbolism over action to fix a problem.

It does accomplish something. It will make opportunities available to talk about what happened just because someone might see the sticker and ask "Hey, what is that for?"

Better to devote efforts to make woman more aware of the bad things that can and do happen, and to try to come up with ideas to prevent this from happening again.

Believe me... women know! The bad things that can happen to women are drilled into us from the time we can walk outside to play! It is part of every Hollywood drama, every horror movie and "who done it" book. When was the last time that a man was kidnapped and killed that you remember it making headlines for weeks?? Yes we need to help women learn to take care of themselves... but we also have to find better ways to deal with violence against women in our society.

I know most will disagree with me and attack me & my post but after you get mad and cool down, ask yourself how the sticker will really help anything.

I am not disagreeing with you. I understand the feeling of impotence. The frustration that no matter what I do that this horrible thing happened and will not be undone... and it will happen again, someday, to another. But if a sticker on a nalgene bottle gets the story repeated then it might keep people talking about the issues of personal safety and violence against women... then in some infinitesimal way, it makes Merediths death mean have some kind of meaning.

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 08:13
I am not disagreeing with you. I understand the feeling of impotence. The frustration that no matter what I do that this horrible thing happened and will not be undone... and it will happen again, someday, to another. But if a sticker on a nalgene bottle gets the story repeated then it might keep people talking about the issues of personal safety and violence against women... then in some infinitesimal way, it makes Merediths death mean have some kind of meaning.

Well said. A reminder of vigilance on the trail is more important than the other slogans you see, like "leave no trace".

StarLyte
01-13-2008, 08:44
Fishin Fred is mailing both Rucks a package of these.

Thank you :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 09:48
I am not disagreeing with you. I understand the feeling of impotence. The frustration that no matter what I do that this horrible thing happened and will not be undone... and it will happen again, someday, to another. But if a sticker on a nalgene bottle gets the story repeated then it might keep people talking about the issues of personal safety and violence against women... then in some infinitesimal way, it makes Merediths death mean have some kind of meaning.Thank you for saying this, Janet. It goes to the heart of what this is about.

And thank you, Fred, for doing this.

gldwings1
01-13-2008, 09:56
Thanx Fred. Hooch told me about these and it is great of you to do this. I want to give you a custom project at SoRuck. So bring your calculator and a thinking cap. Look forward to meeting you.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 14:38

The sticker gives a visual reminder and can serve as a conversation starter - I want to tell you about why I have this sticker...

Which can then lead to a discussion on remaining aware, etc.

Sly
01-13-2008, 15:12

MJ who said this?

Believe me... women know! The bad things that can happen to women are drilled into us from the time we can walk outside to play! It is part of every Hollywood drama, every horror movie and "who done it" book. When was the last time that a man was kidnapped and killed that you remember it making headlines for weeks?? Yes we need to help women learn to take care of themselves... but we also have to find better ways to deal with violence against women in our society.It was in the middle of the Bob S quote that you quoted but not in the original. Are those your words? :confused:

Bob S, it's apparent you don't like the sticker idea, have something better?

Kirby
01-13-2008, 15:45
I would be more than willing to leave stickers in the registers I encounter along the trail/write in bold marker.

Kirby

Bob S
01-13-2008, 16:58
MJ who said this?

It was in the middle of the Bob S quote that you quoted but not in the original. Are those your words? :confused:

Bob S, it's apparent you don't like the sticker idea, have something better?

Yes I do, at all trail heads and in shelters have a metal plaque (Bronze or something that will not rust and endure time) that has simple common sense ideas on how be safe on the trail. Lots of good ideas have been posted here lately, use some of them. And have something saying “in memory of Meredith” at the bottom. This way you are giving out use info that may actually save someone’s life in the future. It shows respect for her memory and it actually has some use beyond a feel good moment. It and her memory will last a lot longer then a sticker on a water bottle.

PS It’s not that I don’t like the sticker, it’s that I don’t see it really doing anything positive to prevent other woman from being raped and murdered. To me action always will be better then symbolism. Good will is great, but it does nothing with out action.
And asking for a sticker to be sent to you and then sticking it on a water bottle does nothing. But the plaque would.

Sly
01-13-2008, 17:06
The common sense ideas of how to be safe are? And if they're common sense why do they need to be posted...

All most need to do is listen to the news to know there's nut cases and evil in the world.

Appalachian Tater
01-13-2008, 17:17
Yes I do, at all trail heads and in shelters have a metal plaque (Bronze or something that will not rust and endure time) that has simple common sense ideas on how be safe on the trail. Lots of good ideas have been posted here lately, use some of them. And have something saying “in memory of Meredith” at the bottom. This way you are giving out use info that may actually save someone’s life in the future. It shows respect for her memory and it actually has some use beyond a feel good moment. It and her memory will last a lot longer then a sticker on a water bottle.

PS It’s not that I don’t like the sticker, it’s that I don’t see it really doing anything positive to prevent other woman from being raped and murdered. To me action always will be better then symbolism. Good will is great, but it does nothing with out action.
And asking for a sticker to be sent to you and then sticking it on a water bottle does nothing. But the plaque would.

The stickers make people feel better.

Bob S
01-13-2008, 17:33

That is my point, stickers are great for feeling like you are something, but in fact it’s not making anything better.

The common sense ideas of how to be safe are? And if they're common sense why do they need to be posted...

Why, because people become complacent, and a reminder will help the ones that are smart enough to read and take some of it to heart. Some will not and while nothing will help those. It will help others. If you can’t understand this, it makes me think you are in the group that won’t take it to heart and expose yourself to risk that you may not need to.

If she was my wife, sister or girlfriend, I would want something good to come out of this. And a sticker is not doing that. Good solid information put into the hands of others on the trail may make a difference. What better way then this to try to put a little positive light on a sad and bad situation? Other then to make sure the guy that did this pays for it and is never allowed to be free for the rest of his life.

Appalachian Tater
01-13-2008, 17:37
That is my point, stickers are great for feeling like you are something, but in fact it’s not making anything better.

Why, because people become complacent, and a reminder will help the ones that are smart enough to read and take some of it to heart. Some will not and while nothing will help those. It will help others. If you can’t understand this, it makes me think you are in the group that won’t take it to heart and expose yourself to risk that you may not need to.

If she was my wife, sister or girlfriend, I would want something good to come out of this. And a sticker is not doing that. Good solid information put into the hands of others on the trail may make a difference. What better way then this to try to put a little positive light on a sad and bad situation? Other then to make sure the guy that did this pays for it and is never allowed to be free for the rest of his life.

I understand what you're saying, but the stickers make people feel better.

StarLyte
01-13-2008, 17:45

bingo :banana

Kirby
01-13-2008, 17:52
It certainly makes me feel better, I was asked non-stop all week how this affects me hike, and I had to continually explain to them the situation, made me upset, then I saw the sticker, and my spirits were lifted.

Kirby

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 17:53
Kirby, while not thru hiking this year, I'll be checking all the registers in Georgia this year for your entries with the "Remember M.E." on it. Thanks for it!!

Sly
01-13-2008, 18:05

The common sense ideas of how to be safe are? And if they're common sense why do they need to be posted... Why, because people become complacent, and a reminder will help the ones that are smart enough to read and take some of it to heart. Some will not and while nothing will help those. It will help others. If you can’t understand this, it makes me think you are in the group that won’t take it to heart and expose yourself to risk that you may not need to.

You still haven't posted any common sense rules. I think most people are quite aware of their surroundings on the trail, and the possible presence of evil.

Nothing is going to prevent future killings on the trail or off. Your solution is also a feel good approach.

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 18:17
You still haven't posted any common sense rules. I think most people are quite aware of their surroundings on the trail, and the possible presence of evil.

Nothing is going to prevent future killings on the trail or off. Your solution is also a feel good approach.

My newest rule is some of the ultralight pistols I spent this afternoon looking at, at the local sporting goods store.:D:D

Bob S
01-13-2008, 18:37

I did say that several idea were posted here on Whiteblaze, I have also said in other threads that a person should consider a firearm. But it seems many don’t like the idea of people having the right to carry a gun and protect themselves. You seem to not like a reminders with helpful ideas put up at various spots around the trail. And as you say, we can do nothing about it. People will just have to be good little sheep and accept the occasional rape and murder and get to like it and understand they are powerless to stop it.

Personally I think I will try to do something about the bad guy if he comes at me or my family (A gun and situational awareness). But as you posted you feel you must just take it, please feel free to do so.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, I knew others would attack, and that is OK, but I had hoped some good besides a few symbolic stickers on a few water bottles would come from this debate. But I see that will probably not be the case.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 18:52

Bob,

A plaque is a great idea. Are you working on getting them made up as we speak? Approaching the appropriate authorities to get permission to post them at trailheads? Footing the bill out of your own pocket? Contacting people to erect them along the whole 2,175 (6?) mile Appalachian Trail and other trails?

If you answer no to any of these, how about quit slamming Fishin' Fred's idea. At least he is doing something in remembrance and doing it NOW.

There are any number of things that can be done as a memorial and to help remind people to be aware. It doesn't mean that they can't all be done.

Now, go to it and get your plaques installed and let the rest of us carry on with remembering Meredith and spreading awareness by using Fishin' Fred's stickers. Let us all know when your plaques are ready. I'm sure you will get a lot of volunteers here to help with the effort.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 18:55
Personally I think I will try to do something about the bad guy if he comes at me or my family (A gun and situational awareness).

Don't forget when you make the plaques that you have to take laws and regulations into account. There are many trails in areas that carrying guns and other weapons are prohibited.

Sly
01-13-2008, 18:58
Like I said in my first post in this thread, I knew others would attack, and that is OK, but I had hoped some good besides a few symbolic stickers on a few water bottles would come from this debate. But I see that will probably not be the case.

Bob you're the one that came out attacking in your 1st post.

If I'm not mistaken there's already trail safety awareness signs.

See River's post above and rather than make people here feel bad, do something.

Miss Janet
01-13-2008, 19:54
I did say that several idea were posted here on Whiteblaze, I have also said in other threads that a person should consider a firearm. But it seems many don’t like the idea of people having the right to carry a gun and protect themselves. You seem to not like a reminders with helpful ideas put up at various spots around the trail. And as you say, we can do nothing about it. People will just have to be good little sheep and accept the occasional rape and murder and get to like it and understand they are powerless to stop it.....

I guess you are saying that this would not have happened to Meredith if she had a gun? When should she have pulled the gun out?? When the scary old man first spoke to her?? There are lots of scary old... harmless... men on the trail. How was she supposed to know he was different from most other human beings? And then what was she supposed to do? Make a citizens arrest because he was creepy? or go ahead and shoot him just in case he might be a bad guy?? Do you walk around with your hand wrapped around the grip of your gun with the safety off and your finger on the trigger... just in case?? We are assuming that he did nothing to warn her that he intended to hurt her as they walked along that day. It is assumed that he surprised her suddenly and violently... HOW would a gun have helped? Maybe it would have made her feel better... safer...?? She would have been just as protected carrying a water bottle with a sticker on it... This of course is my opinion.

Tin Man
01-13-2008, 20:01
I guess you are saying that this would not have happened to Meredith if she had a gun? When should she have pulled the gun out?? When the scary old man first spoke to her?? There are lots of scary old... harmless... men on the trail. How was she supposed to know he was different from most other human beings? And then what was she supposed to do? Make a citizens arrest because he was creepy? or go ahead and shoot him just in case he might be a bad guy?? Do you walk around with your hand wrapped around the grip of your gun with the safety off and your finger on the trigger... just in case?? We are assuming that he did nothing to warn her that he intended to hurt her as they walked along that day. It is assumed that he surprised her suddenly and violently... HOW would a gun have helped? Maybe it would have made her feel better... safer...?? She would have been just as protected carrying a water bottle with a sticker on it... This of course is my opinion.

I agree. It would seem the predators make their prey comfortable before surprising them.

Kirby
01-13-2008, 20:06
Plus, you are not allowed to carry weapons on large portions of the AT.

Kirby

Sly
01-13-2008, 20:08
Not only the National Parks but the state parks and if you're carrying across state borders you need a license for them too.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 20:09
there's a lot of stuff you're not "allowed" to carry. but that means nothing to lots of hikers

Sly
Thru-hiker gun permit?

Lone Wolf
Not only the National Parks but the state parks and if you're carrying across state borders you need a license for them too.

what about your pot?

Sly
01-13-2008, 20:11
there's a lot of stuff you're not "allowed" to carry. but that means nothing to lots of hikers

I realized that. However, if you're caught with a gun without a license the penalties are usually harsher than a bag of weed.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 20:14
I realized that. However, if you're caught with a gun without a license the penalties are usually harsher than a bag of weed.

i've been on the AT 22 years. never heard of anyone getting arrested/fined/caught/jailed for a handgun. plenty of dopers have been busted though. :)

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 20:15

Most states offer what is called reciprocity laws. Meaning they recognize carry permits from other states, allowing you to use one permit from your home state.

Dances with Mice
01-13-2008, 20:16
there's a lot of stuff you're not "allowed" to carry. but that means nothing to lots of hikersYep. You are absolutely right. Last month I removed a flammable chemical (denatured alcohol) from its original container and poured it in a container not approved for that purpose.

You know what's even worse? I also took several tablets of prescription medicine out of their containers and placed them into an unmarked ziplock baggie without a copy of the prescripton.

I carried both across a state line in my auto and then in my backpack. There are several crimes I could have been charged with.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 20:21
::: Dino peeks over trifocals and hopes this thread will return to its topic :::

River Runner
01-13-2008, 20:22

Good post Miss Janet.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 20:29
what about your pot?

So how does carrying pot help with self defense?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 20:31
So how does carrying pot help with self defense?

huh? :confused:

River Runner
01-13-2008, 20:36
huh? :confused:

Exactly. So why bring it up here? :-?

Oh well, I'm going to try to do as Dino suggests and bring it back to topic.

Fishin' Fred's efforts are really appreciated. Doing anything at all in remembrance of Meredith and personal safety awareness is better than any grand ideas that never get off the ground.

Grand ideas are great, but it takes action and implementation to make a difference.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 20:38
Exactly. So why bring it up here? :-?

Oh well, I'm going to try to do as Dino suggests and bring it back to topic.

Fishin' Fred's efforts are really appreciated. Doing anything at all in remembrance of Meredith and personal safety awareness is better than any grand ideas that never get off the ground.

Grand ideas are great, but it takes action and implementation to make a difference.

the thread has nothin to do with guns or dope. sounds like you're for dope though

Sly
01-13-2008, 20:44
::: Dino peeks over trifocals and hopes this thread will return to its topic :::

The topic is fine, the arguments against it and morphing it into guns and illegal substances aren't, but you know how that goes...

River Runner
01-13-2008, 20:46
the thread has nothin to do with guns or dope. sounds like you're for dope though

No I am not, and don't mean to give that impression. For the record I don't use it and have no intentions of using it. I just thought the argument was a little weird in this thread.

I'm actually pretty clean living - no dope, seldom drink anything stronger than Diet Pepsi, not addicted to prescription pain killers (heck, I haven't taken anything stronger than a Tylenol PM since my daughter was born 21 years ago - just a person who loves getting outdoors and enjoying nature.

Just had to pick on 'ya a little LW.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-13-2008, 20:46

Grand ideas are great, but it takes action and implementation to make a difference.Excellent observation. The stickers will serve to remind us of our fallen fellow hiker and to remind us to be careful out there. They will serve to get others to ask about the sticker's meaning and thus share the info about ME and why we should be alert. Finally, like ribbons worn for various causes, it will show support.

Lost My Mind
01-13-2008, 21:33
I appreciate what FF is doing to keep Merideth's memory alive. I think it will help raise awareness every time it is seen. I also understand what I think Bob is talking about. There have been some wonderful ideas posted on WB on what to do and how to go aobut accomplishing some of these tasks. While I will proudly display a Remember M.E. sticker, we don't want it to stop there.

My son is starting a NOBO in a couple of months, and we have talked alot about how he will appear on the train. Young and scruffy. Is he someone I would stop and talk to on the trail? Probably, but then that is my nature. Has this horrific incidence changed how we will act when hiking or camping? Perhaps. This whole incidence has had an effect on all of us.

Rather that arguing about it here, maybe the admins can put up the poll that was talked about earlier, see what the WB community wants to do, and see what we can accomplish.

Powder River
01-13-2008, 21:40
Fred, any chance these will be made into patches? I've been wondering if there would be some way us hikers could honor Meredith on our packs. I assumed it would take the form of a green ribbon - (her favorite color was green see http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/hiker.memorial/index.html) but I like your design better.

And what about the Bryants?

Bulldawg
01-13-2008, 21:47
Fred, any chance these will be made into patches? I've been wondering if there would be some way us hikers could honor Meredith on our packs. I assumed it would take the form of a green ribbon - (her favorite color was green see http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/hiker.memorial/index.html) but I like your design better.

Oh wow, a remember M.E. patch. A grand idea. While this thread drifted for some time (no thanks to me, many apologies) but it seems back on track. I'd buy a patch, maybe similar in design to the sticker, but with a green border.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 21:59
Oh wow, a remember M.E. patch. A grand idea. While this thread drifted for some time (no thanks to me, many apologies) but it seems back on track. I'd buy a patch, maybe similar in design to the sticker, but with a green border.

Or a charm that could be hung from a zipper pull, worn as a necklace, put on a keychain, etc.

Wonder if Fishin' Fred could come up with something like that and make them available for sale? I'd be willing to buy one.

GA2ME2014
01-13-2008, 22:37

The whole situation with Meredith recently is what brought me to White Blazes from another site (I frequent both now). This story is gripping in so many ways. However, considering everything you've said above what cannot be discounted is that "gut feeling" as some call it. That gentle something inside all of us that tells us something isn't right. Most people discount it because they truly believe in the good of all mankind, but the simple fact is that it's inside each of us for a reason. We cannot possibly know what's around every corner - but there is One who does. Regardless of whether or not you subscribe to God or not, everyone has it - it has different names - an inclination, gut feeling, nagging voice, etc. - it's there.

IF she had lived through it she would have most likely testified that she felt something wasn't right, but God love her, she was probably a precious human being on an innocent hike on the first day of the year with her puppy. It was a new beginning....and it's easy to disregard that little feeling inside that something is awry when you're just trying to enjoy a great day in your life.

I'm all for remembering. I'm more for doing. But no matter how you deal with this horrendous act of violience on a trail that we all hold near and dear to our hearts - be sure that you respect others. Simple as that. It's lack of respect for human life that caused this tragedy in the first place. Respect each other and the ideas shared. Hold Meredith up by respecting people - equally - always.

GA2ME2014
01-13-2008, 22:47

And I'll chime in that I like the patch idea better because I'm a patch junkie. Don't care for stickers. They don't sew on very well and my spouse isn't for having my car window blocked with all my interests. LOL

Nest
01-13-2008, 23:17
Another vote for the patches if they can be done. I don't carry nalgenes so a sticker can't go with me on the trail, but I could sew a patch on my dog's pack.

Montego
01-13-2008, 23:30
Ditto for the patch idea since I also don't carry a Naglene.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 23:42
Ditto for the patch idea since I also don't carry a Naglene.

I don't carry a Nalgene either, but I think I can find something to put a sticker on. If it isn't too large I'm thinking about wrapping it around my trekking pole. If it is too large, I'll either try my platy sport, or even on the Zip-lock bag I keep my first aid kit in.

If all else fails, I will stick it on the back window of my Jeep. I don't normally like stickers on vehicles, but I will make an exception for this one.

Patch, sticker, charm, it's all good.

Nest
01-14-2008, 00:50
I don't carry a Nalgene either, but I think I can find something to put a sticker on. If it isn't too large I'm thinking about wrapping it around my trekking pole. If it is too large, I'll either try my platy sport, or even on the Zip-lock bag I keep my first aid kit in.

If all else fails, I will stick it on the back window of my Jeep. I don't normally like stickers on vehicles, but I will make an exception for this one.

Patch, sticker, charm, it's all good.

Yeah, I'm still getting a sticker. Also like a patch for my dog's pack though. Maybe the profits from the patches could go toward some charity or NPO thay deals with rape victims or families of victims of violent crimes. That would give us a patch to make us feel good, honor her memory, and serve an active goal like Bob S was talking about.

Sly
01-14-2008, 01:08
Yeah, I'm still getting a sticker. Also like a patch for my dog's pack though. Maybe the profits from the patches could go toward some charity or NPO thay deals with rape victims or families of victims of violent crimes. That would give us a patch to make us feel good, honor her memory, and serve an active goal like Bob S was talking about.

I made a mistake in my early estimation of what the stickers will actually stick to. They could very well stick to a nylon pack with care.

Also, I wasn't aware that any profits were being made since the stickers are free with a SASE

So rather than putting Fred on the spot to produce patches, why don't one of y'all that want them, do the leg work.

Nest
01-14-2008, 01:31
I made a mistake in my early estimation of what the stickers will actually stick to. They could very well stick to a nylon pack with care.

Also, I wasn't aware that any profits were being made since the stickers are free with a SASE

So rather than putting Fred on the spot to produce patches, why don't one of y'all that want them, do the leg work.

Of course I'm not trying to pressure Fred into making the patches. He's done all of the work on the stickers, and that's enough. I don't know how, or have time to get patches made because of my thru hike coming up real soon. That's taking up all of my time, so if patches don't get made no big deal. I just figured I would suggest a way to have the patches serve the purpose Bob mentioned by selling them and donating the money.

Sly
01-14-2008, 02:50
Of course I'm not trying to pressure Fred into making the patches. He's done all of the work on the stickers, and that's enough. I don't know how, or have time to get patches made because of my thru hike coming up real soon. That's taking up all of my time, so if patches don't get made no big deal. I just figured I would suggest a way to have the patches serve the purpose Bob mentioned by selling them and donating the money.

Fair enough sorry if I came off a little hard. Maybe Bob can start with making patches to raise money to erect plaques! ;)

Trillium
01-14-2008, 04:27
shouldn't be too hard to find an outfit to make patches. when I was a GS leader, there were catalogs of patches and they would make custom patches for a reasonable amount. unfortunately I no longer have access to that info nor the time to research it. but if someone has the time, it would be great if they could take this on.

I am looking forward to getting a few stickers for my nalgenes but would also like a patch.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 07:41
Google found lots of patch makers in 0.12 seconds.

mlkelley
01-14-2008, 13:50
I've been looking in to the patch idea, and was thinking I might take the lead on this. What do you folks think would be a good size for the patch? I'm thinking any profit from sales could go to an animal shelter unless there are any better ideas. Looking for input here, so please share your thoughts.

Nest
01-14-2008, 19:29
Fair enough sorry if I came off a little hard. Maybe Bob can start with making patches to raise money to erect plaques! ;)

Nope, you were right.

Bulldawg
01-14-2008, 20:19
I've been looking in to the patch idea, and was thinking I might take the lead on this. What do you folks think would be a good size for the patch? I'm thinking any profit from sales could go to an animal shelter unless there are any better ideas. Looking for input here, so please share your thoughts.

Run with it. 3 inches or so in diameter. Identical to FF's design, if he is OK with it, embroidered in green around the outside. Profits go to the animal shelter in Meredith's hometown of Buford. I live very close and if no one else is closer, I'm 50 miles, I'd be glad to deliver the donation to the Gwinette County animal shelter in her memory.

I'm game either way!

River Runner
01-15-2008, 01:35
mlkelley,

I would say if you are willing to do the work, we'd all go along with whatever you decide, but since you did ask for ideas, here's mine.

As john30563 suggests, three inches seems like a good size for a patch.

My one suggestion would be that the proceeds be decided later. If WhiteBlaze members decide to work on a more permanent memorial, the proceeds could be used toward that.

If not, either the animal shelter or if a scholarship is started in Meredith's name at the University of Georgia, that might be a good cause.

Anyway that is decided, I think it's a good idea.

Ramble~On
01-15-2008, 02:13
I like the sticker idea and Thank You FF..i have several of your stickers and there are a few on my truck now.
I like the patch idea even better...I have a fleet of packs and would be happy to sew one on each of them...each pack with one of these patches sewn to it would represent a small part of Meridith being along on that hike. Each time the pack owner or anyone else saw the patch they would be reminded of Meridith and at the same time be reminded to be careful.
I'd like to commit to purchase 10 patches and hope that helps in making this idea become reality.

pure_mahem
01-15-2008, 07:10
I like the Sticker and the patch both are good ideas. The sticker will go on the back window of my car and a patch would go on my pack.

DogMother
01-15-2008, 12:06

I don't post here very often but I would certainly purchase one of the patches. Especially if they the proceeds went to an animal shelter.

Speaking of that, I live in Athens and there was information in a local paper about a memorial fund being set up at Longmont Humane Society. (www.longmonthumane.org)

"Clay Evans, development director for the Longmont shelter and a Camera columnist, said there are tentative plans to dedicate a permanent memorial to Emerson at the facility once an $8.2 million renovation project is complete."

Of course any animal shelter (like the one she adopted her dog from) would be happy to get the money. And since it would benefit animals I am sure that Ms Emerson would be happy about that.

Nean
01-15-2008, 12:20
They have Remember Chase stickers here in Pagosa country for a young man who met a tragic end. Thanks Fred. I don't know a lot about Meridith except how she died and was wondering what was her connection to the Trail?

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 12:22
she used to run and hike a lot in the Blood Mtn. area

Bluebearee
01-15-2008, 12:51
Whatever ends up happening, can we please spell her name correctly?

MerEdith. With two E's and one I.

If any of you listened to the Q100 cast with her boyfriend Steve you might have heard him mention how much this bothered her to have her name mis-spelled and how in the search efforts a sign was posted with incorrect spelling. My given name is an unusual spelling so I am particulary sensitive to this. It has bothered me all along when the "i" was put in there instead of an "e". I'm just now saying this because if there are ongoing messages or wording with her name regarding this horrible incident this year or in the future, we should at the least get her first name spelled correctly.

Sorry if this seems trivial, but I understood where she was coming from in life seeing her name mis-spelled. And no one else seems to have pointed this out on WB forums.

As to whether this is just a feel good idea. It might be, I agree with MJ and Sly however, life is just full of risks and we can only do so much to mitigate them.

I'm a woman hiker, a solo woman hiker much of the time, with my own black dog, I engage with other dog owners on the trail, did so just yesterday XC skiing. None of us has ANY idea how this situation really unfolded, she may have felt he was a bit creepy or weird, but really would ANY of us truly have the forethought or sight to think someone is going to do what this horrible human did?? I can't express enough, and believe me I tried with the ATC itself yesterday, to hammer home that no matter how many safety advisories or warnings, this will happen again in our life times on or near this Trail we so dearly hold. I don't wish that, I don't look forward to it, but it's out there. But it will not stop me, ever, from doing what I love. I will not turn this into fear.

Remember if he was involved with the Bryants, there were a couple. Yes, an elderly couple but apparently fit enough to be out hiking! Did that stop him from acting in the same fashion? Apparently not, the wife is dead, the husband missing and presumed so. This is not just a female only issue!!! I've said for years that if all the highway and traffic deaths were posted every day on the front page of papers, instead of some small blurb in the local sections it might hit folks that driving is still the biggest risk we take, for most of us, every day.

Bottom line, this has hit all of us very hard, and based on life experiences, we react in a multitude of fashions.

Meredith, 2 E's, 1 I.

Thanks.

Rant over.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 12:55
Fred has her name spelled correctly on the stickers. why the rant?

Sly
01-15-2008, 13:02
Fred has her name spelled correctly on the stickers. why the rant?

Yeah, I can't recall anyone here misspelling her name. :confused:

Sly
01-15-2008, 13:06

Bluebearee
01-15-2008, 13:07
I know Fred did, no problem. Posts 65, 84 & 87 in this thread alone, never mind the front page of WB itself. I'm sorry, it just jars me, I notice stuff like that. And apparently she did too.

Back to topic. Stickers good.

Nean
01-15-2008, 13:32
I know Fred did, no problem. Posts 65, 84 & 87 in this thread alone, never mind the front page of WB itself. I'm sorry, it just jars me, I notice stuff like that. And apparently she did too.

Back to topic. Stickers good.

My apologies. On the other hand it jars me when people lose sight of what's important and IMO my post on this site isn't.

gypsy
01-15-2008, 15:38
I don't really feel that a plaque would serve any purpose either. It's kind of like all the other billions of warnings that you see posted everyday. Do people really lend that much creedance to such things? I don't think so. If that were the case, society would be a whole lot different. People just need to always listen to their gut. The stickers aren't meant to serve as a band aid, just a loving reminder of a light snuffed out way too soon (in this life anyways). Thanks Fred!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 15:53
::: Dino comforted by the wise words of Gypsy as always. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend :::

Bulldawg
01-15-2008, 20:25
Reckon we could get this thread back towards what we intended it to be and away from how to spell??

mlkelley
01-15-2008, 22:19
Ok. The ball is rolling on the patches. Same basic design as Fred's sticker, but with a green border. I'll start a new thread when I have something visual for you folks.

Kirby
01-15-2008, 22:22
Ok. The ball is rolling on the patches. Same basic design as Fred's sticker, but with a green border. I'll start a new thread when I have something visual for you folks.

Way to go!:)

Thanks,
Kirby

Omen217
01-15-2008, 22:37
Thanks a ton FF. I will more than likely be at Mountain Crossings next Sunday and will pick up one then. This is a fitting tribute. I hope every THRU stops at Winton's and gets one this year.

Stopped at Winton's today and obtained my stickers, Have already used one.

If you get the chance, visit the growing tribute to Meredith, on the Byron Reece trail heading up to the AT.

I think a trail or shelter should be named in he honor.

Hikerhead
01-15-2008, 22:47
I don't mean to change the subject or anything and God Bless poor Meredith, but what about the other hikers that this crazy sob killed? Seems there could be something made that would include all of them. What, I don't exactly know.....but don't forget the teacher backpacking in Fl or the Bryants in NC and now there's talk of a hiker that disappeared in Bryson City. Maybe something that says "Hike safe, be aware. Let's never forget them" Just thinking out loud......

Bulldawg
01-15-2008, 23:01

Beautiful, I'll be watching. Got any idea on price yet?

Tin Man
01-15-2008, 23:06
I don't mean to change the subject or anything and God Bless poor Meredith, but what about the other hikers that this crazy sob killed? Seems there could be something made that would include all of them. What, I don't exactly know.....but don't forget the teacher backpacking in Fl or the Bryants in NC and now there's talk of a hiker that disappeared in Bryson City. Maybe something that says "Hike safe, be aware. Let's never forget them" Just thinking out loud......

Great thought, but we should consider whether any memorial is about all hiker victims, hiker victims on the AT, or about the victims of this sadistic killer.

mlkelley
01-15-2008, 23:31
Beautiful, I'll be watching. Got any idea on price yet?

Don't know yet. I'm still mulling over what to do about the whole thing. I'm not sure whether to just sell them at cost, or add a couple of bucks to each one and donate that to an animal shelter in Merideth's name, or to some sort of WB memorial for Merideth (if any decision is ever reached on that front). Either way, I'm having 200 made to start. Cost on these will be about $1.25 each. Thoughts? :confused:

Sissygirl
01-15-2008, 23:50
Bob... we all deal with tragedies in our own fashion. Fred chooses to make and distribute stickers. If that doesn't help you, then find the way that works best for you. Personally, the sticker would serve as a reminder both of Meredith and the necessity of being vigilant.

Bulldawg
01-16-2008, 00:01
Don't know yet. I'm still mulling over what to do about the whole thing. I'm not sure whether to just sell them at cost, or add a couple of bucks to each one and donate that to an animal shelter in Merideth's name, or to some sort of WB memorial for Merideth (if any decision is ever reached on that front). Either way, I'm having 200 made to start. Cost on these will be about $1.25 each. Thoughts? :confused:

Honestly, I'd say $3 each, $1 for shipping, up to like 10. The profit goes to some animal shelter, whether it be the Buford one where Meredith lived, or the Longmont, where her parents lived. Should clear around $400 on the first 200 because shipping will not be $1. You can ship one to ten in a first class envelope.

I'm in for about 5 or so, just put my name on at least that many, one for each of my and my family's packs.

Thanks for the work!!

Nest
01-16-2008, 00:03

I think the money going to an animal shelter would be better than to a memorial. It would be a more active use of the money. I know if it were me I would wonder why the money was spent on an object, and not spent to help someone or something in need.

mlkelley
01-16-2008, 00:07
I think the money going to an animal shelter would be better than to a memorial. It would be a more active use of the money. I know if it were me I would wonder why the money was spent on an object, and not spent to help someone or something in need.

Point taken. I think I like the animal shelter idea as well.

Powder River
01-16-2008, 00:21

You got me to thinking more on this, and I have decided to vote green ribbons. Perhaps ambiguousness is the answer here... Meredith's favorite color was green, but that also seems to be the color for the AT: the trees, the grass, and of course the logo. According to wikipedia, green ribbons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_ribbon) aren't really nailed down by a super-recognizable movement, such as red for AIDS, yellow for troops, pink for breast cancer etc. Additionally, any recognition problem potential there would be would be negated because we are really talking about a small, closed community of AT hikers. When a green ribbon is seen in the context of being pinned to someone's pack, it should make sense.

Meredith has really grabbed all of the attention away from the Bryants and the other cases. I'm sure there is an interesting media study/ psychology survey in there somewhere. Despite knowing that, I think because Meredith's story has touched people the most people are more inclined to honor her first. Maybe this is why a green ribbon would be such a good idea; it would show support for all the recent victims while at the same time it would describe the trail with a color in a way that words and symbols cannot. In addition to all of that, it would be a winking nod to Meredith's favorite color, so in effect it accomplishes all of the goals of such a tribute.

Further, while I applaud the efforts of Fred and mlkelley on taking leadership on the stickers and patches, (and I will definitely be displaying them somewhere) it would be easy to stress such generosity if these ever became really popular. Also I think it puts anybody who offers such a service in the uncomfortable position of collecting money, however miniscule, to cover costs. The ribbons can be made by anybody, and therefore will not only be more widespread but would also relieve a lot of pressure on fred and mlkelley to supply thousands with a free sticker or 1.25 patch.

Finally, my suggestion for a green ribbon or support for a patch or sticker is only in the spirit of conformity. That is, a consistent symbol that can be recognized by others on the merits that it has been seen on the packs of many, many other hikers. This is the only true argument for a consistent symbol of tribute, as doubtlessly there are many here who would rather create their own or honor her in their own way (which doesn't even require something on your pack, of course). I would love to see this even more than I would love to see everybody with the same patch, however I'll leave that one up to you non-conformists out there. :D

Bulldawg
01-16-2008, 00:31
You got me to thinking more on this, and I have decided to vote green ribbons. Perhaps ambiguousness is the answer here... Meredith's favorite color was green, but that also seems to be the color for the AT: the trees, the grass, and of course the logo. According to wikipedia, green ribbons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_ribbon) aren't really nailed down by a super-recognizable movement, such as red for AIDS, yellow for troops, pink for breast cancer etc. Additionally, any recognition problem potential there would be would be negated because we are really talking about a small, closed community of AT hikers. When a green ribbon is seen in the context of being pinned to someone's pack, it should make sense.

Meredith has really grabbed all of the attention away from the Bryants and the other cases. I'm sure there is an interesting media study/ psychology survey in there somewhere. Despite knowing that, I think because Meredith's story has touched people the most people are more inclined to honor her first. Maybe this is why a green ribbon would be such a good idea; it would show support for all the recent victims while at the same time it would describe the trail with a color in a way that words and symbols cannot. In addition to all of that, it would be a winking nod to Meredith's favorite color, so in effect it accomplishes all of the goals of such a tribute.

Further, while I applaud the efforts of Fred and mlkelley on taking leadership on the stickers and patches, (and I will definitely be displaying them somewhere) it would be easy to stress such generosity if these ever became really popular. Also I think it puts anybody who offers such a service in the uncomfortable position of collecting money, however miniscule, to cover costs. The ribbons can be made by anybody, and therefore will not only be more widespread but would also relieve a lot of pressure on fred and mlkelley to supply thousands with a free sticker or 1.25 patch.

Finally, my suggestion for a green ribbon or support for a patch or sticker is only in the spirit of conformity. That is, a consistent symbol that can be recognized by others on the merits that it has been seen on the packs of many, many other hikers. This is the only true argument for a consistent symbol of tribute, as doubtlessly there are many here who would rather create their own or honor her in their own way (which doesn't even require something on your pack, of course). I would love to see this even more than I would love to see everybody with the same patch, however I'll leave that one up to you non-conformists out there. :D

Good idea, post a new thread here announcing it. I'll put one on my pack tomorrow if you will announce it.

Sly
01-16-2008, 00:52
Good idea, post a new thread here announcing it. I'll put one on my pack tomorrow if you will announce it.

Sounds like a neat trick.

fishinfred
01-16-2008, 03:06
Just remember that when you see a Meredith patch,sticker plaque or whatever ....THAT SHE WAS THE ONE WHO STOPPED THE MONSTER
Her death stopped the killer ....no more will be killed by him because of it .If it wasn't for her fearless walk in the mountains with her dog on a new years day ...the monster who killed her and who knows how many more would still be out there ....who knows how many she has saved ...She stopped that evil monster .IT WAS HER and thinking of her makes me think of them all ....
SHE IS SPECIAL and will be remembered in many good ways by alot of people everywhere ! AS SHE SHOULD
Alot of NICE things in the works . I support them all ! Its all good

Thanks for the kind words and messages .I just wanted to do SOMETHING...
Its an honor to be doing this ...
Hope it helps in some little way ...
There are over 1000 out there already and another 800 going to Mt Crossings when I come down for the ruck ...Outfitters as far north as Pa (so far) have been requesting them ...I'm sure there will be more . I'll be making at least 2000 more when I come home next week to make sure EVERY NOBO HIKER has one ...and anyone else .
Like I said it's really an honor beyond anything I ever imagined
I'll do my best to make enough for everyone but best get them while you can !
Thanks again
PEACE TO ALL
SHINE ON MEREDITH !

SweetAss03
01-16-2008, 04:38
Fishinfred,

Sent out an envelop Monday. You are a class act.

I'll take your sticker down to a local shop and have 3 patches made up, one for my two dog packs and one for my pack.

As for Bob's comments and the posters that came after him. Makes me proud to be on this web site. I did not read every post but most of them. It looks like someone was able to have a different opnion and not get blasted out of the water with name calling and other childish games.

SweetAss

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 06:44
Just remember that when you see a Meredith patch,sticker plaque or whatever ....THAT SHE WAS THE ONE WHO STOPPED THE MONSTER
Her death stopped the killer ....no more will be killed by him because of it .If it wasn't for her fearless walk in the mountains with her dog on a new years day ...

:confused: What?

Roots
01-16-2008, 10:06

How about 'Hike Strong'.

Hooch
01-16-2008, 10:10
How about 'Hike Strong'.Maybe yellow bracelets to go with it? :D Oh, that's been done. How about green?

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 16:01
Her death stopped the killer ....no more will be killed by him because of it .If it wasn't for her fearless walk in the mountains with her dog on a new years day ...the monster who killed her and who knows how many more would still be out there ....who knows how many she has saved ...She stopped that evil monster .IT WAS HER and thinking of her makes me think of them all ....

This is, without any shred of doubt, the dumbest thing I've ever read. It's too bad the other people he murdered didn't have the common decency to "stop" him with their murder.

Sly
01-16-2008, 16:05
This is, without any shred of doubt, the dumbest thing I've ever read. It's too bad the other people he murdered didn't have the common decency to "stop" him with their murder.

Yeah, it was probably worded wrong but no need to get all over Fred's ****. At least he's doing something.

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 16:07
Yeah, it was probably worded wrong but no need to get all over Fred's ****. At least he's doing something.

Yes, I give him credit for the stickers but those lines were real head scratchers.

STEVEM
01-16-2008, 16:19

Is this the best contribution you can make? Maybe you should think a little before you decide to offer your wisdom.

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 16:29
Is this the best contribution you can make? Maybe you should think a little before you decide to offer your wisdom.

Another person who hates opinion. Why don't you explain how she stopped him. Here, I thought it was law enforcement and tipsters.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 16:31
Another person who hates opinion. Why don't you explain how she stopped him. Here, I thought it was law enforcement and tipsters.

you made your point. move on or shut up

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-16-2008, 16:40
This thread is about the stickers. Bashing other members is forbidden by the TOS of the site.

raftingirl
01-16-2008, 16:50
You can also get magnets on zazzle.com

http://www.zazzle.com/rememberm_e_magnet-147709519315292171

raftingirl

kanga
01-16-2008, 17:01

well, you got the insensitivity and disrespect part right anyway. the whole point is to show respect for a fellow hiker and love and support to her family and friends. period. that's it.
i did as you requested and i asked myself, "self. will this sticker really help anything?"
and self replied, "yes. it helps to restore my confidence in people. it helps Merideth's family/boyfriend/friends/me to know that there are still kind and caring humans out there who have respect for life and its passing."

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 17:04
well, you got the insensitivity and disrespect part right anyway. the whole point is to show respect for a fellow hiker and love and support to her family and friends. period. that's it.
i did as you requested and i asked myself, "self. will this sticker really help anything?"
and self replied, "yes. it helps to restore my confidence in people. it helps Merideth's family/boyfriend/friends/me to know that there are still kind and caring humans out there who have respect for life and its passing."

He wasn't being insensitive or disrespectful in any way. He was asking an honest and valid question. Grow some thicker skin. A sticker is just a sticker after all.

STEVEM
01-16-2008, 17:05

The discussion here is about a very kind offer made by Fred to the members of Whiteblaze. You're being critical of the words he chose to express his feelings. You should choose a fight you have a chance to win.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 17:07
The discussion here is about a very kind offer made by Fred to the members of Whiteblaze. You're being critical of the words he chose to express his feelings. You should choose a fight you have a chance to win.

he's a young kid with diarrhea of the mouth. never anything positive to say. ignore him

Hooch
01-16-2008, 17:14
you made your point. move on or shut up

he's a young kid with diarrhea of the mouth. never anything positive to say. ignore him
Agreed......hopefully someone will dish him out some Kaopectate/Pepto-Bismol soorer or later.

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 17:29

You made your point. Move on or shut up.

dixicritter
01-16-2008, 17:31
That's enough. This thread is not to turn into a bashing thread... Got it?

zoidfu
01-16-2008, 17:34
That's enough. This thread is not to turn into a bashing thread... Got it?

I made my point and I'm trying to drop it as was suggested earlier. I can't help what other people do.

dixicritter
01-16-2008, 17:38
I made my point and I'm trying to drop it as was suggested earlier. I can't help what other people do.

You can stop posting to this thread.

fishinfred
01-16-2008, 19:14
SHE IS SPECIAL and will be remembered in many good ways by alot of people everywhere ! AS SHE SHOULD
Alot of NICE things in the works . I support them all ! Its all good

Thanks for the kind words and messages .I just wanted to do SOMETHING...
Its an honor to be doing this ...
Hope it helps in some little way ...
There are over 1000 out there already and another 800 going to Mt Crossings when I come down for the ruck ...Outfitters as far north as Pa (so far) have been requesting them ...I'm sure there will be more . I'll be making at least 2000 more when I come home next week to make sure EVERY NOBO HIKER has one ...and anyone else .
Like I said it's really an honor beyond anything I ever imagined
I'll do my best to make enough for everyone but best get them while you can !
Thanks again
PEACE TO ALL
SHINE ON MEREDITH !

Sorry if that came out wrong it was a long day ....
I was just thinking out loud in respose to hikerheads post above it about remembering the other victims along with Her (read the bold print my post) my point was (and just MY own feelings) "When I think of Meredith I think of the others " they are not being forgotten .....and to put it simple the POS who did this to her and God only knows how many others was stopped because he chose Meredith , his reign of evil ENDED with her .If there is any ounce of good that can come from a tragedy so sad it is that he has been stopped ......AND I just feel that she was special ......My appolgies for trying to put feelings into words at such a late hour ...simple feelings too deep for words I guess .....:-?
For those who seem to be without a heart ...get a Sticker or a Patch they both come with a BIG ONE...
or at least go for a hike or do something positive ....

To those who understand ,thanks

SHINE ON MEREDITH
Im done here now .
See ya up the Trail

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 19:17
no need to explain. we that know you, know your heart :)

Sly
01-16-2008, 19:19
As the Whiteblaze turns, so do the days of our lives. :)

Hooch
01-16-2008, 19:24
I was just thinking out loud in respose to hikerheads post above it about remembering the other victims along with Her (read the bold print my post) my point was (and just MY own feelings) "When I think of Meredith I think of the others " they are not being forgotten .....and to put it simple the POS who did this to her and God only knows how many others was stopped because he chose Meredith , his reign of evil ENDED with her .If there is any ounce of good that can come from a tragedy so sad it is that he has been stopped ......AND I just feel that she was special ......My appolgies for trying to put feelings into words at such a late hour ...simple feelings too deep for words I guess .....:-?
For those who seem to be without a heart ...get a Sticker or a Patch they both come with a BIG ONE...

SHINE ON MEREDITH
Im done here now .
See ya up the TrailFishin' Fred, you don't owe anyone here an apollogy for anything. You're doing what you believe in your heart to be the right thing, a good thing. If other people who choose to instigate read too far into what was said and turn it into a big dramatic mess, that's their problem. Rock on Fred and we'll see ya at SoRuck!

Kirby
01-16-2008, 21:09
I'm putting an envelope in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks again F. Fred,
Kirby

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 21:16
Fishin' Fred, you don't owe anyone here an apollogy for anything. You're doing what you believe in your heart to be the right thing, a good thing. If other people who choose to instigate read too far into what was said and turn it into a big dramatic mess, that's their problem. Rock on Fred and we'll see ya at SoRuck!

I agree. I never met FF, but his words the first time were clear and kind and I was not happy to see them twisted so.

STEVEM
01-16-2008, 21:20

SHINE ON MEREDITH
Im done here now .
See ya up the Trail

Fred, no explanation is required. You've done a better job than most to put your feelings into words. I said it somewhere before, and I know it's what you're feeling also: I learned how much it hurts to lose a person I never knew.

FWIW:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
http://aura.gaia.com/images/buddyicon-icon24.gif? (http://quotes.gaia.com/dr_seuss)
Dr. Seuss (http://quotes.gaia.com/dr_seuss) (1904 - 1991)

OregonHiker
01-16-2008, 21:25

SHINE ON MEREDITH
Im done here now .
See ya up the Trail

Good on you Fred

Miss Janet
01-16-2008, 21:32

We all have been touched by this girls tragic death on many different levels. I have daughters her age... I go hiking with my dog...always alone... she could have been any of the hundreds of 20 somethings I help with their hikes every year. So, she is special to me and I understand FF. Issues often get a face and story associated with them. Meredith became the the face people will recall for a long time whenever someone talks about trail safety or murders on the trails. But I also think about the Bryants, lifetime ATC members and avid hikers. They actually have more in common with the AT community.

I would like to add my opinion that a green ribbon would be a simple way for everyone to memorialize the hikers that have died by the hands of monsters like Hinton. I would also remind everyone to keep all the families of all the deceased in their thoughts when we talk about the issues. Stickers, patches, green ribbons, memorials, events... they all are ways to say we care and that we will remember.

yappy
01-16-2008, 21:37
what a terrific idea !! FF you sounds like a very cool person. my envelope is on the way. I will have it on my car in AK. Just for a moment when i pull up to one of the incomparable trails , she will too.

Nean
01-20-2008, 15:43
FF has a heart of gold and has long been a positive part of our community.:sun It's sad but not all that surprising when a youngster doesn't realize what's important.:( Kinda hard to see the light when ones head is up ones arse.:-?

BackTrack1
01-20-2008, 16:21
Thanks FF,
I just received my sticker, it is now on one of my nalgene bottles and will go w/ me everytime i hike, very cool of you to do this.:D

Backtrack1

brotheral
01-20-2008, 16:35
Got mine yesterday. Put it on the water bottle I nearly always have with me. Good Job Fishin Fred !! :sun I posted a photo this morning !!
Happy Trails..........BrotherAL

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2008, 18:34
Got mine at SORUCK and it is now on my vehicle.

JERMM
01-20-2008, 18:39
I got mine at Mountain Crossings and have it on my water bottle. Thanks Fishin Fred