PDA

View Full Version : Clorox bleach water treatment?

Chef
12-25-2003, 13:40
Hey fellow hikers, I have a question. I am planning on walking the AT startin in march and am unsure about water treatment. I dont want to bring a filter because of the weight and i can do without it on the trail. All my previous experiences, I used iodine tablets but thety are expensive and the othre water treatmentis that much more expensive. What do people think about using a couple of drops of clorox bleach in the nalgene? Any hbad health effects for using it 6 months and any other water treatment suggestions?

attroll
12-25-2003, 16:50
If you look at the bottom of this page you will see a table titled Similar Threads. I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this. But usually it lets you know what threads are similar to the one you are in. So you can go a search through them also.

I am not trying to change the subject here. I was just pointing this out. As I look at it now I see four other threads dicussing the bleach with water treatment.

Just trying to point this out in case know one has ever noticed. Just trying to be helpful.

tlbj6142
12-25-2003, 16:53
I can't comment on the long-term affects, but I do believe that bleach isn't as effective as other oxidizers (Iodine, Aqua Mira). I have read of others using bleach on a thru.

I have used bleach on a chruch group trip (2 drops per liter for 15 minutes). You won't notice a difference in taste, or smell, between treated water and "city water" that you have stored in closed bottle for 15 minutes.

The group leader swears by it. But, then, when you have 30+ folks that need treated water, it is about the only way to go. He carried a small 2oz dropper bottle.

For an AT thru, you'd probably only need 2-4oz for the entire trip.

Search this board for old message reagarding this treatment method. As I know it has been disscussed in more detail before.

12-25-2003, 19:04
While I was in the Army bleach is what we use while in the field. It was at one time part of my job to test the water and make sure there was enough bleach inside. When this first was explained to me, I had some reservations and after much research found no ill effects. And when on my thru-hike bleach is what I used for almost half the hike. I would have to look at my notes but I believe the proper concentration is 3-4 drops per Nalgene. I just used an eye dropper. And a small bottle will last for weeks.

walkerat99
12-26-2003, 08:59
I have not used the bleach except in an emergency a couple of times so I can't really say how well it works. I used Aqua Mira on my AT thru hike, however several people I know did use the Clorox bleach and had not ill effects, at least while they were hiking. At any rate, here is some information that is posted on Clorox website about using it to treat water. I do not know how accurate it is or anything else about the site. Just thought I would pass it on to you.

http://www.clorox.com/health/disaster/disaster5.html

As I said, I used Aqua Mira when I used anything at all. I will admit that most of the times, I did not use anything. I would look at the water and the source and decide if I thought the water was safe to drink. It worked for me even though I know it is not recommend. As you will see once you are out there for awhile, everyone has their own ideas and what works for them.

Hope this helps....

Sincerely,
Ed (Never Alone)AT99, O1

Connie
06-27-2004, 17:51
Chlorox brand bleach isn't only bleach. There are added ingredients, not particularly good for you ..and maybe bad.

If you can find a cheap, or generic, brand bleach, read the ingredients.

If only bleach: sodium hydrochloroxide and water ..so okay, use it.

4-5 drops per gallon water disinfects water.

10% disinfects for cleaning stuff.

Frosty
06-27-2004, 18:44
At any rate, here is some information that is posted on Clorox website about using it to treat water. I do not know how accurate it is or anything else about the site. Just thought I would pass it on to you.

http://www.clorox.com/health/disaster/disaster5.html

use this link:

http://www.clorox.com/company/health/disaster/disaster5.html

(add company between com and health

Connie
06-27-2004, 18:50
doh !

4-5 drops per quart.

Mr. Clean
06-28-2004, 07:41
Please be aware that if adding chlorine to water with color in it that the chlorine and organics will create cancer causing compounds called trihalomethanes. Clear water is fine to add bleach to, but don't drink too much colored/tinted water. A little won't hurt, but over the course of five months, it may do some harm.

Pencil Pusher
06-28-2004, 16:48
Anyone know the difference between Ultra bleach and regular bleach? I think the Ultra has an active ingredient. For some reason or other, I cannot find any regular bleach at any of the stores... all the bottles of various manufacture have the Ultra label on them. So I was then curious how this affected the treatment of water.

Bleached water while in the army... yech.:datz

Youngblood
06-28-2004, 17:46
Anyone know the difference between Ultra bleach and regular bleach? I think the Ultra has an active ingredient. For some reason or other, I cannot find any regular bleach at any of the stores... all the bottles of various manufacture have the Ultra label on them. So I was then curious how this affected the treatment of water.

Bleached water while in the army... yech.:datz

Try post #30 on this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=49079#post49079

Pencil Pusher
06-28-2004, 18:01
Try post #30 on this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=49079#post49079
Sweet, thanks! I'd always wondered... makes sense (I guess) that it's just a higher concentrate.

Speaking of which, why was the blonde staring at the orange juice container? It said 'concentrate'. Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck... a lot of these jokes aren't as corny when told in person.:o