PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in 2008

southernpine85
01-13-2008, 05:15
Over my life, I'd like to hike several long distance trails and the Appalachian trail is one on the list. I do most of my current camping and hiking during the fall and winter, though it is mostly day hikes as well as car camping. None the less, I want to begin hiking the Appalachian trail in sections during the winter of 2008.

I live in Virginia (just 30min from Waynesboro) and would like to devote eight days in December 2008 for hiking the AT. I am thinking of hiking Damascus to Waynesboro (or vice versa), but I am not sure if this is achievable in eight days? Of course another option would be Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry or vice versa. Regardless, I would like to complete the other section of Virginia in January 2009.

You might be wondering why I am thinking so far out and the reason is two fold. One I just recently tore a few leg muscles in my left leg and I'll need at least two months for repair as well as improving my strength. Second, I want plenty of time to plan things out as well as acquire the proper gear.

I will most likely join the PATC in order to volunteer and help take care of the very trail that I wish to hike. I am seeking advice on a)winter hiking the trail in VA b)any other sections that you all suggest for eight days of hiking and c)whether or not I can cover said distance in eight days.

Thank you

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 05:22
[SIZE=4][FONT=Arial]

I live in Virginia (just 30min from Waynesboro) and would like to devote eight days in December 2008 for hiking the AT. I am thinking of hiking Damascus to Waynesboro (or vice versa), but I am not sure if this is achievable in eight days?

possible. with support. but not probable. that's 48 miles per day

Hooch
01-13-2008, 06:27
Over my life, I'd like to hike several long distance trails and the Appalachian trail is one on the list...... I am seeking advice on......any other sections that you all suggest for eight days of hiking.

L. Worf is pretty much right on, that's wayyyyyyy too big a chunk to bite off. If it were me (and I know it's not, but you asked), I'd try something a little more realistic like Springer to Standing Indian (about 84 miles), Springer to NOC (about 121 miles), GSMNP (about 73 miles), Erwin to Damascus (about 134 miles) or I-40 overpass, TN to Erwin (about 101 miles). Whatever you choose, hike your own hike, enjoy and have fun. Best o' luck to ya! :clap

Marta
01-13-2008, 06:38
A few weekend trips between now and then should give you a better idea of how far/how fast you can hike when you're carrying whatever weight you end up packing. For some people a good day's hike is 4 miles; for some it's 30.

A weeklong winter hike is going to have you carrying about the maximum possible packweight, which will cut your daily mileage.

There's also the day-length issue to deal with. In December it won't get light in the morning until at least 7ish, and be dark again by 5:30. Unless you like night-hiking and setting up camp in the dark, your maximum hiking day is not very long.

But, really, the best way to figure out what's a reasonable distance for you is to do some overnight hikes ahead of time. Living where you do, that should be fairly easy to arrange.

PS--And welcome to Whiteblaze! If you join the PATC you should get lots of useful information from the folks there, too.

rafe
01-13-2008, 10:54
Why such big daily distances? Most long distance hikers average 15-20 miles a day, once they're in shape. "Weekend warriors" should plan for lower miles, maybe 1/2 or 2/3 this number.

rafe
01-13-2008, 10:55
To qualify earlier message (#5) I should have added "most long distance hikers on the AT..."

Montego
01-14-2008, 00:28
Welcome to WhiteBlaze southernpine85 :welcome

Roots
01-14-2008, 00:51
:welcome I think it's great your interest in the AT and doing some sections. My husband(Gungho)and I are section hikers. We have been avid day hikers and campers for about 7 years. We did our first overnighter on the AT this past July. It's one thing to day hike and another to backpack, IMO. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, we day hike at least once a week. Carrying that weight of a full pack all day, camping, and then carrying that weight the next day is a totally different experience.

Marta is right about getting out there and experiencing what you can now. Do a few overnighters. Get a grasp on how it feels. Then you'll be able to determine your mileage and how much you can reasonably do. Good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

e-doc
01-14-2008, 01:00
Are you like a troll?

Dogwood
01-14-2008, 02:22
Ditto Wolf, Hooch and Marta's advice. WHOAH slow down! Consider what U are doing and why U are doing it!!! Those are VERY big mileage days on any trail in the best of weather! In order to hike those kind of miles per day you'll have to hike fast and long when the daylight hours will be short(est) and you'll be carrying extra wt. to compensate for winter hiking ie: extra food for the additional calories you'll be burning, warmer heavier clothing, warmer heavier sleep system, etc. Some of the biggest high mileage hiking gurus would find it difficult to hike 5-8 consecutive 45 mile plus days and consider their level of experience and hiking fitness. Certainly, not impossible, but consider a shorter section and taking the time to take it all in and not letting it go by in a blur.