PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags

yogi clyde
12-25-2003, 18:31
I know this has been discussed before, but here goes again...

What have prior thru hikers used, down or synthetic and what temp rating?

I'm hoping to leave GA April 1st. I have a TNF Flight 35 degree bag (2 lb 2 oz).
I was considering using that in conjunction with a sub 16 oz down jacket.

If not, Campmor has a TNF 20 degree bag, but with the compression bag it weights in at 3 lb 5 oz.
Is it worth the investment in one of the sub 2 lb down bags?

Also, has anyone used a sil-nylon stuff sack instead of the heavy nylon ones that usually come with the bag?
Can it handle the repeated daily stuffing?

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Peaks
12-26-2003, 09:34
Like all gear, you see all kinds of sleeping bags used on the trail. Some prefer the synthetic, while others prefer down. Down will compress more. Some say that synthetics loose their loft, but I have not had that problem. Obviously, with down you need to be careful to keep it dry. Generally this is not a problem, but there are times when the mist blows into the shelter and everything gets damp. Also, during rainy weather, everything in your pack seems to get damp dispite all good precautings.

With an April 1 start, you should be prepared for nights below freezing until mid to late May. So, if suggest testing out your bag in 20 degree weather before going.

Generally speaking, synthetic bags are cheaper than down. And a new synthetic bag is about equal in weight to a down bag that uses 600 fill power. So, if you want to save weight, you need a higher fill power down.

So, like all gear purchases, you should ask yourself if the weight savings justifies the purchase price.

For the mid Atlantic states (Virginia to Vermont) after Mid June, you will probably want a warm weather sleeping bag. Even a 35 degree bag will seem to warm, yet it may not be quite warm enough to sleep outside the bag.

I have started using sil-nylon stuff sacks. They work fine provided that the sleeping bag is carried inside your pack. If you are using an external frame pack with the sleeping bag strapped to the bottom, then the sil-nylon gets punctured. Sil-nylon is geat fabric, but not puncture resistant nor flame resistant.

Lilred
12-26-2003, 11:33
Campmor has a TNF 20 degree bag, but with the compression bag it weights in at 3 lb 5 oz.
Is it worth the investment in one of the sub 2 lb down bags?
Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

I bought a 20 degree down bag from Campmor that weighs in at 2lbs, 4oz. I had heard not to use a compression bag as it can ruin loft. I spent some mighty cold nights in this bag and it was more than sufficient. It's a great bag for the money. Below is the link.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=86896&prmenbr=226

Bob McCaw
12-30-2003, 15:37
I have a related question: I'm planning on starting fairly early -- late February to early March. Will a 20 degree bag be sufficient? What if I carry a liner also?

All advice appreciated.

stickat04
12-30-2003, 17:57
I just got the 20 degree bag from Campmor for Christmas. I had a synthetic but it was to heavy. I am leaving april 3rd.