PDA

View Full Version : Fish Pen

AlwaysHiking
01-13-2008, 13:40
Anyone tried this out? I do like to fish, but I've never taken a pole with me on the trail because I just don't own one that I'd be willing to carry. I know I could just use hook and line, but this little rod seems handy.

http://www.fishpen.com/

oops56
01-13-2008, 14:11
I got two of them not tried them yet but the front eye is small must un tie the hook to get reel off. the line is a little weak good for brook trout for pond i put a little heaver line one on it .

AlwaysHiking
01-13-2008, 14:20
I got two of them not tried them yet but the front eye is small must un tie the hook to get reel off. the line is a little weak good for brook trout for pond i put a little heaver line one on it .

Thanks for the feedback. For that price, it can't hurt to order one. If untying the hook is the worst I'll have to deal with, this may be a fun item to have.

Thanks again!

russb
01-13-2008, 16:56
Oops, what is the weight of the rod + reel?

Peaks
01-13-2008, 17:20
Don't forget about license requirements, unless you plan to stealth fish.

AlwaysHiking
01-13-2008, 17:26
Don't forget about license requirements, unless you plan to stealth fish.

Thanks, I am aware.

Monello
01-13-2008, 17:27
Check out this website. You may want to carry 1 of these. Also check out telescopic poles. Just add a small reel, small tackle box and your all set.

http://www.emmrod.com/index.cfm

wrongway_08
01-13-2008, 17:40
Just get about 15 feet of line and a hook, tie it off to your hiking stick. It'll work and weighs like .025 oz :)

pure_mahem
01-13-2008, 18:24
I think those are pretty nifty. Other options you can try that work pretty well are the pocket fisherman and a heavy duty ice fishing combo. You can check out the ice fishing rods at walmart right about now or within the next month or so as icefishing supplies should be coming in soon. I've used an icefishing spinning combo for quite a few years it works great for casting on riverbanks were there is a lot of vegitation that would prevent you from casting with a full size rod, Works Great!

oops56
01-13-2008, 20:02
The pen fishing with case 13.500 oz. rod 1.910 oz. real 3.885 oz. Now when i was little 60 years or so remember the aspirin tins for 3 or 4 small hooks about 10 ft of rug thread in it. And pocket knife boy scout type. Cut a small sapping 5 feet or so small pebbles for sinker look under rocks for worms. The brooks that we fished way out in the woods the small ones 5 to 6 feet wide not to deep fish under the little falls.Some times cook on the spot a little fire and find a 3 finger stick for fish.

TN_Hiker
01-14-2008, 10:00
I have this rod. It is a cool concept, but I broke it the second time I used it trying to free a snagged line. I didn't think I was yanking on it that hard, but...... I would think twice about carrying on a long distance hike.

max patch
01-14-2008, 15:25
I actually saw the infomercial last week:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=voCx4T3rHh4

There are better alternatives available if you don't mind carrying a bit more weight and bulk.

SweetAss03
01-14-2008, 15:58
I'm with TN Hiker. Great concept, cheap pole that will break either the first time you use it or the first time you think about using it.

Without getting into fishing on the A.T. I like to backpack and fish as well. There are better poles out there to do this type of backpacking/fishing. So far my favorite is a 4 piece Spinmatic High performance Graphite Ultra Light made by Daiwa, it has a nice fit between weight, strength, and being able to pack it. I got mine at Joe's for about $40.00 it does NOT come with a reel so you would have to buy a small one to fit it. I come with a soft case for some protection.

I pack mine next to my tent pole and haven't broken anything yet. I've tried most of the other types with out much luck. I've broke tele-poles and snapped tips, so far this one is the best.

Good luck happy hikes!

SweetAss

SweetAss03
01-14-2008, 15:59
Let me correct that... I DON'T come with a soft case for protection but the pole DOES!

max patch
01-14-2008, 16:32
So far my favorite is a 4 piece Spinmatic High performance Graphite Ultra Light made by Daiwa, it has a nice fit between weight, strength, and being able to pack it. I got mine at Joe's for about $40.00 it does NOT come with a reel so you would have to buy a small one to fit it. I come with a soft case for some protection.

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. I've got a Daiwa something or other - forgot the name - but it came with a reel. I just use the hard plastic case it came in on the very rare times I take it hiking.

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 16:50
I'm with TN Hiker. Great concept, cheap pole that will break either the first time you use it or the first time you think about using it.

Without getting into fishing on the A.T. I like to backpack and fish as well. There are better poles out there to do this type of backpacking/fishing. So far my favorite is a 4 piece Spinmatic High performance Graphite Ultra Light made by Daiwa, it has a nice fit between weight, strength, and being able to pack it. I got mine at Joe's for about $40.00 it does NOT come with a reel so you would have to buy a small one to fit it. I come with a soft case for some protection.

I pack mine next to my tent pole and haven't broken anything yet. I've tried most of the other types with out much luck. I've broke tele-poles and snapped tips, so far this one is the best.

Good luck happy hikes!

SweetAss

Doing an internet search on it now... thanks for the tip!

SweetAss03
01-14-2008, 17:10
I didn't want to dog out the fishing pen...but...

I don't own one, my dad got one for X-mas and from accrossed the room I thought, Wow that looks cool. Then I had it passed over to me. No Thanks

Good luck with finding a good soild pole, there are a couple of good ones out there.

SweetAss

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 17:12
I didn't want to dog out the fishing pen...but...

Please, dog away... if it's cheap I'd like to know.

mark.k.watson
01-14-2008, 21:28
Saw the commercial on TV the other day. Cool concept, but it looked as if it cassed about 10 feet.

pure_mahem
01-15-2008, 00:51
You could always bring one of those new rocket poles with you they cast about 25-30 feet and all you have to do is cock it and shoot, lol!