PDA

View Full Version : ? to Damascus

gungho
01-13-2008, 14:13
Planning a 2 or 3 day hike into Damascus for trail days.Any suggestions?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 14:15
Massie Gap or VA 603/Fox Creek south to Damascus
40 miles or 30 miles

gungho
01-13-2008, 14:24
Thanks Lone Wolf for the great suggestion.

gungho
01-13-2008, 14:30
Massie Gap or VA 603/Fox Creek south to Damascus
40 miles or 30 miles
Roots and myself have always loved the Grayson Highlands area,this is an excellent choice. It looks like we can park at The Grayson Highlands State Park and start our hike from there.:)

Almost There
01-13-2008, 16:09
Go with Wolf's suggestion, best hike heading into Damascus!

Roots
01-13-2008, 21:41
Go with Wolf's suggestion, best hike heading into Damascus!

This is what Gungho and I are going to do. We've been wanting to do this part of the trail for a few years now and haven't been able to get back that way to do it. We're really excited about it. Thanks for the suggestions...we knew you wouldn't let us down LW:D.

Tennessee Viking
01-13-2008, 22:49
Planning a 2 or 3 day hike into Damascus for trail days.Any suggestions?
If you want to join up for the Hardcore event. You can start out at Dennis Cove or Watauga Lake to Damascus, then come back to Dennis Cove for Hardcore. Great section, and free return shuttle. Then the enjoyment of working on the trail. Even get a nice patch.

If you decide to go sobo, I can only think of Graysons or Whitetop into town.

gungho
01-14-2008, 06:25
If you want to join up for the Hardcore event. You can start out at Dennis Cove or Watauga Lake to Damascus, then come back to Dennis Cove for Hardcore. Great section, and free return shuttle. Then the enjoyment of working on the trail. Even get a nice patch.

If you decide to go sobo, I can only think of Graysons or Whitetop into town.
That's definetly something to consider. thanks for the input:-?

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 07:45
stick to the SOBO hike into Damascus. it's 10 times more scenic.

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2008, 19:24
Trust Wolf on this. This is his backyard. The stretch just north of Damascus is much prettier than the stretch south. Plus, if you start north of town and walk back, your last day of hiking is essentially flat or downhill almost the entire day. This stretch of Trail absolutely works better if you're hiking Southbound.

gungho
01-14-2008, 21:55
[quote=Jack Tarlin;501095]Trust Wolf on this. This is his backyard. The stretch just north of Damascus is much prettier than the stretch south. Plus, if you start north of town and walk back, your last day of hiking is essentially flat or downhill almost the entire day. This stretch of Trail absolutely works better if you're hiking Southbound.[/quote

I totally agree,I knew Lone Wolf would come threw for me. I cannot wait to experience that section of the AT.