PDA

View Full Version : Addis Gap Shelter

KD4QOY
01-13-2008, 16:30
Anyone out there have a photo of Addis Gap Shelter ? It was ( as I recall ) a small shelter w/ built in bunks ( slept 8 ) ( circa 1978 ). I camped next to it in a driving rain in june 78. The shelter was overflowing w/ 15 in it already for the night.

Walkingdude
06-28-2008, 16:56
I had some photos of it from back in '73 and '74. But I lost them. It was a bit of a dump then. Had to be removed because road access was convenient and the local rednecks caused a lot of problems.

take-a-knee
06-28-2008, 17:14
I remember that shelter, I was there in 75. It was on a good site but the road was a problem. There is still a trail/jeep path from that site all the way up to the gap at the AT. There used to be some good trout fishing along that road beside Moccasin Creek.

daddytwosticks
12-26-2008, 14:10
Spam

Ron Haven
12-26-2008, 20:40
I remember that shelter, I was there in 75. It was on a good site but the road was a problem. There is still a trail/jeep path from that site all the way up to the gap at the AT. There used to be some good trout fishing along that road beside Moccasin Creek.This area is very inhabited with black bear also.If you hike east from the A T toward where old shelter was there are a split in the rd.

If you bear right maybe 500yds there's a FS gate and a small parking are on the left on the other side and 8 miles on Wet Wildcat FS Rd to GA 197.

But at the old shelter if you bear left that old FS rd goes up near McClure Gap.

take-a-knee
12-26-2008, 23:27
This area is very inhabited with black bear also.If you hike east from the A T toward where old shelter was there are a split in the rd.

If you bear right maybe 500yds there's a FS gate and a small parking are on the left on the other side and 8 miles on Wet Wildcat FS Rd to GA 197.

But at the old shelter if you bear left that old FS rd goes up near McClure Gap.

Funny you mention bears Ron, when my daughter and I hiked through Addis Gap this past June we met a hiker that stated he just seen a good-sized bear 1/4 mi up the trail.

Ron Haven
12-27-2008, 00:19
I remember that shelter, I was there in 75. It was on a good site but the road was a problem. There is still a trail/jeep path from that site all the way up to the gap at the AT. There used to be some good trout fishing along that road beside Moccasin Creek.look at this BEAR (http://codyhaven.com/?level=picture&id=34) I got a picture of just north of Addis Gap in 2005