PDA

View Full Version : "funds"

-SEEKER-
01-13-2008, 19:46
How does one go about accessing money while on a thru-hike? Last year while doing a short section I carried Travever's Checks, a small bit of cash, and a credit card. I understand that Hostels and Shuttle drivers prefer cash. I hope to leave the trail as little as possible and was wondering how to re-supply my funds without it costing me extra money. ie: ATM FEES, etc.

Alligator
01-13-2008, 20:06
No fees at grocery stores and post offices, at least if you buy something.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-13-2008, 20:10
i used travelers checks and an atm/credit card as well. only had what cash was change from checks mostly, for sodas and what not. great thing about t. checks is they are insured if you lose them or are robbed, which means they'll replace them(at least this applies to Am Ex checks. and they act basically the same as cash.

-SEEKER-
01-13-2008, 20:25
I am comfortable with the Travelers checks for the reasons you mentioned Hitman, but I got the feeling last year that the service providers weren't real thrilled with my using them. Any feedback from Hostel owners or Shuttle drivers?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 20:26
I am comfortable with the Travelers checks for the reasons you mentioned Hitman, but I got the feeling last year that the service providers weren't real thrilled with my using them. Any feedback from Hostel owners or Shuttle drivers?

CASH$$. ATM fees are a fact of life on the trail

Blissful
01-13-2008, 20:33
If you bring a debit card, make sure you have an extra that can be sent to you. Over time they can deteriorate. I brought my credit card as a back up. And yes, you will need to pay ATM fees, but for us, it was miniscule compared to other things, and we needed the money.
If you have cash, store it in different places and don't take out a lot of cash. Plenty of opportunities in towns to get cash.
Some people had problems with traveler's checks last year on the trail. Can't remember where but I know it did happen. I'd skip them.

Marta
01-13-2008, 20:36
Traveler's checks flummox a lot of folks, who have never seen them before. I ran into an issue with them at the PO in Hanover, too, because I had too large a denomination. So, yeah, the easiest thing is to suck it up and pay the ATM fees. Other than that, work the cash-back-with-purchase options wherever you can.

-SEEKER-
01-13-2008, 20:41
Other than that, work the cash-back-with-purchase options wherever you can.
Sorry for the ignorance but can you explain this concept?

Marta
01-13-2008, 20:52
Sorry for the ignorance but can you explain this concept?

In a lot of stores, such as grocery stores, and in Post Offices, if you buy something, you can get up to some amount of cash back. Grocery stores usually have a sign saying what their limit is, often $50. So, buy a soda for $1.29, have them make the sale for $51.29, and you get your soda plus $50 in cash. It only works with ATM card purchases, not with credit card purchases. There's not usually a fee associated with the transaction, either by the store or by your bank.

Miss Janet
01-13-2008, 20:52

We had a few problems this year with Travelers checks... If they get wet they will not be readable by the machines that stores use to validate them. Someone had been passing 100$ counterfeit travelers checks in the area and it made lots of people refuse to accept them.

Marta
01-13-2008, 20:56
One way to negotiate traveler's checks is to go to a bank that sells that type of traveler's checks, for example, American Express traveler's checks, and have a teller cash them. Bank tellers should be familiar with them, unlike a lot of store cashiers.

One of the rules associated with AmEx traveler's checks is that a countersignature is supposed to suffice when cashing--no ID required.

I don't know how getting the checks wet affects this process. I protected my money even better than I did my sleeping bag...

-SEEKER-
01-13-2008, 20:58
In a lot of stores, such as grocery stores, and in Post Offices, if you buy something, you can get up to some amount of cash back. Grocery stores usually have a sign saying what their limit is, often $50. So, buy a soda for $1.29, have them make the sale for $51.29, and you get your soda plus $50 in cash. It only works with ATM card purchases, not with credit card purchases. There's not usually a fee associated with the transaction, either by the store or by your bank.
WOW! I had no clue. Thanks

River Runner
01-13-2008, 21:06
Just a for what it's worth -

I've even had trouble with traveler's checks at McDonalds. The cash register attendant had no clue what they were or how to process them. I'm guessing with debit cards & credit cards they are getting less common than they once were.

The idea about cashing them at the bank is a good one, as is getting cash back from purchases with ATM cards.

-SEEKER-
01-13-2008, 21:17
Yeah I had the fast food / Traveler Check experience last year while in GA. I had to leave because of knee problems and after spending the whole day getting to a Greyhound Bus Terminal, which was closed when I got there, I went across the street to get a hamburger. They had no clue and refused to accept them, so I had to charge a hamburger on my credit card. I felt stupid!

AT-HITMAN2005
01-13-2008, 21:25
travelers checks are supposed to be just like cash. at least that was my impression when i hiked. i went to the trouble of getting all of mine in $20 increments. then i broke the trail down to $1 a mile. and had them mailed to me with my maps. it didn't work out exactly to $1 a mile but it was pretty close. and like marta, i protected my money better than my sleeping bag.

emerald
01-13-2008, 21:36
I have a debit card that can be used anywhere a MasterCard is accepted. Transactions are processed through either channel although the funds are drawn from my checking account regardless. I assumed almost everyone has one these days.

Ordinarily, I go through the self-check-out lines when I shop for groceries. I use my card for such transactions and rarely carry cash. When I'm prompted for payment type and I need cash, I indicate I want debit with cash back rather than credit. When prompted, I indicate how much cash I want and the transaction is processed as specified.

I'm sure there aren't such facilities in every town along the A.T. although I know of some where hikers might resupply near where I live. You could still make a purchase in the same manner where there's a check-out person in probably most places except maybe some small country stores where they might not have enough cash on hand.

Postal money orders are also an option although I wouldn't want to rely on them exclusively.

weary
01-13-2008, 22:12
CASH$$. ATM fees are a fact of life on the trail
I had a problem in the south in '93. No problem in the north. my wife sent me money from time to time, when I had problems.

I would get an account on a bank with a lot of southern affiliates -- possibly Bank of America -- to reduce ATM fees. Also, I understand that there are a lot of credit unions that will share each other's members, without a lot of extra money. You might check that out.

Weary

Marta
01-13-2008, 22:20
I used traveler's checks for a couple of reasons. One was that it was one of my forms of saving for the hike. As cash came my way over the year or so preceding the hike, I turned the cash into traveler's checks. It's also, as someone noted above, safe to include them in mail drops. And you can leave them in your pack, for example, more casually than you would cash, because you can get the t.c.s replaced.

If you're going to get some, definitely go with the smaller denominations.

In my paranoid way, I tried to avoid trouble by diversifying. I carried some cash, some traveler's checks, a debit card, and a credit card. I used the credit card whenever possible (did I ever end up with a lot of REI points!), but had the other things as backup. I think I only had to pay ATM fees once on the whole AT hike.

On the JMT this year, which is of course much, much shorter, I just took cash, ATM card, and credit card.

emerald
01-13-2008, 22:21
My Debit MasterCard I mentioned above also functions as an ATM card. It was issued by a credit union affiliated with the Star network. I've never paid a fee except to replace the card when it wore out, but I only rarely use it as an ATM card and then only where I know there won't be a fee.

Shop around, plan ahead and use discipline. I would think most if not all fees can be avoided.

-SEEKER-
01-14-2008, 12:47
I went to the bank today and am getting a check card. Like you Marta, I like to avoid trouble so I will try to cover all the bases. Thanks everyone for the enlightening info.

Marta
01-14-2008, 13:25
Another fairly serious inconvenience that can occur while you're traveling is to have your bank suddenly cut you off because of "suspicious transactions," i.e., a series of charges from locations off your usual beaten path. You can notify your credit card company (assuming you're primarily planning to use a credit card) that you'll be in such and such locations starting on such and such a date. Same thing with your bank.

OTOH, don't be too free with power of attorney or information. I've heard a few horror stories about hikers being ripped off by people they trusted to take care of their business while they were gone.

mudhead
01-14-2008, 13:41
Fellow Mainers.

Bangor Savings Bank. No ATM fees.

Or other bank ATM fees.

brotheral
01-14-2008, 13:45
Okay Cyndie !! I've thought it over and I'm going to help you out. Just give me the $$$$$$ and I'll bring you whatever you need. Just call and let me know how much you need and where to bring it.... :-?:banana
BrotherAL (aka: Honest AL)

partinj
01-14-2008, 13:50
They will now charge you 3.00 to use your card if not on your own bank that 3.00 from where you use then your bank will chare you to not sure what. :eek:

-SEEKER-
01-14-2008, 13:51
Okay Cyndie !! I've thought it over and I'm going to help you out. Just give me the $$$$$$ and I'll bring you whatever you need. Just call and let me know how much you need and where to bring it.... :-?:banana
BrotherAL (aka: Honest AL)
I'll take you up on that. About every week or so just meet me inside the local police station with a box of food for re-supply.

brotheral
01-14-2008, 14:06
I'll take you up on that. About every week or so just meet me inside the local police station with a box of food for re-supply.
Now you want me to shop for you too !!?? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2008, 14:42
Some good advice above. One more suggestion: Always carry at least some cash with you, both in town, and on the Trail as well. There are still places that only accept cash as payment for services, or you might arrive in a place that has only one ATM......if it's not working, you have a problem. I'm not saying you should always be running around with hundreds of bucks on you, but you should have at least SOME cash on hand at all times.

brotheral
01-14-2008, 17:17
On a more serious note: My bank in Ohio told me that I should be able to go to any bank (Not ATM) in the country and ask them to give me "A Cash Advance" on my VISA DEBIT CHECK & CASH CARD without paying any fees. I've done this several times in WV annd never paid a fee. Ask your bank about this if you're interested...

mixinmaster
01-14-2008, 18:35
Travelers Checks were what I used mainly this past year from GA-VA........ I don't really recall any problem.... BUT since I arrived back here in Abingdon, I have found the remaining amount I had to be a HUGE hassle. Alot of people, especially young ones, have no clue as to what they are or how to cash them. I have waited numerous times at Food City, Kroger, etc. while they run down a manager. Seriously, I have waited 30 minutes or so just to complete the transaction. AND to beat it all, Sears in Bristol would not cash it even though I was buying a $34 pair of pants with a $50 check. Kmart here in Abingdon said they do not cash them anymore also.

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2008, 19:21
Not many people go with Traveler's Checks anymore, but if you do:

*Carry nothing bigger than fifties. Many small stores will not take 100's.

*Break bigger checks in town, either at banks, supermarkets, outfitters, restaurants, etc.

*If you use checks, rely mainly on 20's. They are almost never refused.

*Make several copies of you check numbers. Carry one on you (not in the same place
as your checks, obviously) and leave one copy of your numbers at home with your
base-camp person. Lost, damaged, or stolen checks can be easily replaced, but you
must have the check numbers in order to do so.

*Carry decent I.D. (with a picture that actually looks like you) as you'll be asked for it.

Johnny Thunder
01-15-2008, 10:26
Check with your bank to see if they'll waive the fees from "foreign" ATM's. When I traveled abroad for school my bank reimbursed my ATM fees upon my return. There was a simple form to fill out before the trip.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-15-2008, 10:41
Check with your bank about debit card fees. My bank lets me use my card for free if I use it as "credit", but charges me 25 cents if I use my debit card as "debit", which I have to do to get cash back. Twenty five cents is measly compared to the $2.25 charge for using another bank's ATM (plus the charge from the ATM I'm using), but be aware that there could be a cost for using a debit card as "debit." I also get a piddly amount of "cash back" every six months based on the amount I charged as "credit."

The reasoning behind the charge: used as debit, my bank pays the processing fees; used as credit, the merchant pays the processing.

Turtle2
01-15-2008, 12:06
Prior to my hike I opened up an online bank account. They provide an ATM card and reimburse all ATM fees anywhere. No hassel.

emerald
01-15-2008, 15:03
Sounds like just what many here might want to look into. What bank is it?

Dartman
01-15-2008, 15:08
If you're using mail drops have USPS money orders sent to you. They can be cashed right at the PO when you pick up your mail for no fee.