PDA

View Full Version : Jack in the Box: Along AT

ChinMusic
01-13-2008, 23:22
Are there many/any Jack in the Box restaurants along the AT? I love their tacos and can't imagine how many I would have to pound down on a thru.

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2008, 23:54
There's a few in NC and TN but probably not near the trail towns.

http://www.jackinthebox.com/locations/index.php#location_facts

Might be a few Taco-Bells within hitchin' range as you go north, but definitely not many.

You're gonna have to think outside the (jack-in-the)box.:eek::banana

River Runner
01-14-2008, 00:05
You're gonna have to think outside the (jack-in-the)box.:eek::banana

Now that's funny there! :D

Cuffs
01-14-2008, 00:13
OMG! I thot they were all gone! Road trip!!

Roots
01-14-2008, 01:04
The closest you'll find to the AT in NC is probably Asheville. If you're jonesing that hard, Cuffs, I'll bring you something from there to the ruck. :D

berninbush
01-14-2008, 01:53

Lots of Jack-in-the-Box's still here in Houston. There's one in walking distance of my house. Unfortunately I've never liked their food. Trade ya for a Waffle House.

Sly
01-14-2008, 02:52
The closest you'll find to the AT in NC is probably Asheville. If you're jonesing that hard, Cuffs, I'll bring you something from there to the ruck. :D

There's a Jack 'n the Box in Asheville? I lived there 6 years and never knew. :mad:

Sly
01-14-2008, 02:54
There's a Jack 'n the Box in Asheville?

Nope. The closest are here...

http://www.jackinthebox.com/locations/displayresults.php?city=&state=AK&zipCode=28711&section=5&x=0&y=0

kayak karl
01-14-2008, 03:43
i haven't heard about them since the early 70's brings back memories of 8-tracks, hi-jackers, pin stripping, lucy the elepant, mothers and dunes and the 3 in the morning MUNCHES at JACK-IN-THE BOX:D

berninbush
01-14-2008, 09:53
In places like here where we get Jack in the Box commercials... the restaurant is represented by its mascot and apparent CEO, Jack, who is a "regular" guy with an enormous spherical white plastic head, painted-on expression, and yellow pointy hat. They milk that for all it's worth. Jack in the Box had the original antenna ball (Jack's head, of course); other restaurants followed suit with less creative ideas. There was a whole series of commercials where antenna-ball-Jack went on a series of adventures, including riding the antenna of a fire truck after the car he was on caught fire.

If only the food didn't taste like it was over-seasoned, refrigerated, then microwaved....

Bearpaw
01-14-2008, 10:02
Jack-in-the-Box came to Nashville in the 1999-2000 time frame. The commercials included "Jack" with good-old-boy old timers staring at Jack and his enormous ping-pong-ball head. One asked him "You ain't from around here, are ya'?"

He happily replies "No, I'm California."

Their response? "Oh, that explains it." And they went on their way.

I first had JitB in 87 in Texas while my scout troop was on its way to Philmont. I remembered liking it. When they showed up in Nash Vegas, I was excited. Nowadays, I have to avoid it, because their tacos and burgers are like crack. Instant bliss, but you have to have MORE.

mountain squid
01-14-2008, 10:15
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/whacky057.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

:-? didn't think that would work in the General forum...

ChinMusic
01-14-2008, 11:25
I have to avoid it, because their tacos and burgers are like crack. Instant bliss, but you have to have MORE.
I guess I'm fortunate that we don't have a Jack in the Box in Springfield, IL. I'd surely overdose on the 2/99¢ tacos.

I just passed one yesterday on the way home from a bpacking trip in KY and loaded up.

I see from their map that NC/TN would be the only real chance on the AT.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/JackintheBox.gif

Jimmers
01-14-2008, 11:32
I've heard of them, but the only one I've ever actually seen was in LA. And I've traveled a lot on the east coast. Strangely, they do play their commercials in Philly.:-?

Roots
01-14-2008, 11:39
Nope. The closest are here...

http://www.jackinthebox.com/locations/displayresults.php?city=&state=AK&zipCode=28711&section=5&x=0&y=0

You're right, Sly, sorry. I used to go to the one in Hendersonville, NC. Not a far drive from Brevard or Asheville. I do have to say I no longer partake of the JIB food--not too good for the healthy lifestyle change :)--but I used to LOVE their Ciabatta burger.

DO THEY MAKE A JIB REHAB...I AM STRONG--I WILL FIGHT THE URGE!!!:D

Cuffs
01-14-2008, 11:51
The JIB that I remember is from the late 70's-early 80's and in Michigan. The only menu items I can think of were burgers and onion rings! And the O rings were gooooood! I dont recall tacos on the menu...? We werent 'allowed' to eat out fast food very much as kids, so it was always a treat to go there!

mudhead
01-14-2008, 12:34
Anyone remember the Ecoli issue?

ChinMusic
01-14-2008, 13:24
Anyone remember the Ecoli issue?
Oh yeah, back in the early 90s in the Seattle area. That was a biggie.

A-Train
01-14-2008, 13:27
I've heard of them, but the only one I've ever actually seen was in LA. And I've traveled a lot on the east coast. Strangely, they do play their commercials in Philly.:-?

Yeah, it's like Sonic. THey play the commercials in NYC non-stop, but the closest one is 130 miles away on the Jersey shore. Only been to one, in Erwin Tennessee.

DCHiker
01-14-2008, 13:34
You won't find any up North

Montego
01-14-2008, 23:15
Lots of "Sonics'" in Oklahoma City. Great onion rings.........YUMMMMM :)

berninbush
01-14-2008, 23:55
:) Sonic rocks. Popcorn chicken, burgers, tater tots, and all kinds of flavored sodas and slushies and cream pie shakes. :banana There are at least three of them within a 15-minute drive of my house... lucky me. Fat me.

Foyt20
01-17-2008, 21:23
Yeah, it's like Sonic. THey play the commercials in NYC non-stop, but the closest one is 130 miles away on the Jersey shore. Only been to one, in Erwin Tennessee.

Thanks for informing me of the sonic in Jersey. The closest one for a while was in central Delaware. If you ever want to go there, you have somewhere to stop on the trip. It is like 36 Miles from mi casa :banana