PDA

View Full Version : Dog Backpacks

desdemona
01-13-2008, 23:47
Wow! A whole forum dedicated to dog hiking!! :-)
I have a Corgi, Torie, who is an awesome trail dog. But it seems to me that even though I am only doing day hiking , that she should start carrying her own weight.

I have looked at a few models. Corgis are a little low slung, which rules out one really popular one. I was wondering if anyone has used Doggles. I like the idea of a handle, and they look like they go a little higher than some of them. Has anyone used them.

They look like this: http://www.thisnext.com/item/CEC1789F/AA00A882/Doggles-Ergonomic-Backpack

No, I am not connected with Doggles and just want folk's opinions on what looks like a good product.

--des

Mercy
01-14-2008, 14:39
Considering you said you were day hiking, and thought "she should start carrying her own weight," I guess we're talking water/bowl?

That backpack looks pretty low slung to me...the sides look long, and the photo is on a larger legged dog.

You don't need a real big pack for day hiking, and a handle is a great thing to help the dog over obstacles. I would think you might want to look more for packs designed for hiking. Ruffwear, Granite Gear, Mountain Smith... etc.

desdemona
01-14-2008, 17:27
Considering you said you were day hiking, and thought "she should start carrying her own weight," I guess we're talking water/bowl?

That backpack looks pretty low slung to me...the sides look long, and the photo is on a larger legged dog.

You don't need a real big pack for day hiking, and a handle is a great thing to help the dog over obstacles. I would think you might want to look more for packs designed for hiking. Ruffwear, Granite Gear, Mountain Smith... etc.

Ok, I should look these up. Though I couldn't find the pack for a little dog. (Just don't tell her she is little, LOL!). But they suggested a extra small for a small dog.

--des

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 17:38
How much does your dog weigh? Perhaps you should continue to carry her food and water for her. She already has to literally carry her own weight. Corgis were not bred as pack animals.

Mercy
01-14-2008, 17:41
I don't know much about corgies. (I'm a bigger dog kinda person) Aren't they kinda long-ish for their size? I think I'd ask my vet about carrying stuff before I ordered a pack.

Having said all that,

This is the only pack I looked up:
www.ruffwear.com (http://www.ruffwear.com)
Approach Pack II
"This is an amazing value-packed multi-day dog pack. Our redesigned Approach Pack II utilizes spiderweb harness technology from its den mate the Palisades Pack II. The harness chassis provides superior fitting, load carrying stability, and improved support without excessive straps. 1680-Denier ballistic nylon construction provides stability, support, and durability. Low profile elliptical saddlebags keep loads comfortably balanced. The Approach Pack II is now available in five sizes with the addition of XX Small and X Small sizes for smaller breeds. Now, all of our four-legged friends can join in on the fun."

Dogs as small as 12" girth, 10" length....

Or just by a harness for Corgi-dog to wear that will let you help him over obstacles.

JMHO

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 17:53
My observations based on the photo at the link you provided:
The Doggles looks like overkill for a day hike. Also, it looks like the pack would get in the way of proper leg function/motion. The back is nearly touching the dog's thigh and the front is nearly touching the elbow. It also seems to spread too much of the weight across the middle of the dog's back. Weight should be centered above the shoulders as much as possible to let the legs and shoulders carry the weight and keep it off the spine.

A good, low profile pack is the Kelty Chuckwagon (http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=4&cat=7). I got this as a starter pack for my dog to use while he was a puppy for two reasons; one, it was more cost efficient compared to other brands to buy for short term use, and, two, because it does have such a low profile I thought it would be good for a puppy to get used to it.

It sits up high above the shoulders and out of the way. Would give you plenty of clearance for short legs. You can even go a size smaller if you want and still have plenty of pack space for a day hike. We've outgrown this pack in as far as usefulness for my style of hiking, but the size he wore as a puppy still fits him as an adult and it's one size smaller than the manufacture recommends. The pack is disproportioned to his body (smaller than what he can comfortably carry), but the straps and fittings are adjustable with plenty of strap to spare to fit his frame comfortably.

wrongway_08
01-14-2008, 17:59
I just used this one from REI, really strong - was able to lift my 70 plus pound pooch up/over large rocks by the center strap - no effect on the pack. Does not hang that low and you can really stuff this sucker.

It also distrubutes the weight well, the straps keep it centered. The mesh helps keep the pack from sliding foward.

http://www.rei.com/product/759612?vcat=REI_SEARCH

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 18:22
I just used this one from REI, really strong - was able to lift my 70 plus pound pooch up/over large rocks by the center strap - no effect on the pack. Does not hang that low and you can really stuff this sucker.

It also distrubutes the weight well, the straps keep it centered. The mesh helps keep the pack from sliding foward.

http://www.rei.com/product/759612?vcat=REI_SEARCH

What do you think about the compressibility of a load that doesn't fill the panniers with this pack?

I've struggled in the past with a few packs that only ride well under a full load and as consumables are, er, consumed, a good fit gets harder and harder to maintain. Everything sinks to the bottom causing the panniers to bounce and contents shift like they're being hit by a 10.0 earthquake.

Does this pack address that issue well?

I'm sort of in the market, but not in any real rush. Have been thinking about a Wolfpack (http://www.wolfpacks.com/) but am not 100% yet.

wrongway_08
01-14-2008, 18:35
It did fine while half loaded. There is a large pocket and smaller pocket on each side.

The bottom straps are stitched to the bottom of the panniers , so when you tighten the straps, it snugs the panniers also. I took the pack empty and had him run around the yard for a while, no shifting or bounce to them at all.

It took about a day of loaded hiking to wear off the coating on the straps so the buckles would stop comming loose. Other then that, no problems. This might have been a little of my fault - I was not pulling the straps all that tight for the first few miles.

This pack held up well under the stress from Hudson forcing his way through tight rock areas - some of the really tight spots he needed a little boot in the rear to get through. :)

Check it out around the house, load it up and try it out. If it does not work as well for your dog, return it to REI for a different brand or your money back.

doggiebag
01-14-2008, 18:41
Kelty K-9 Chuckwagon purchased from REI: It lasted 1,700 trail miles last year. When it got thread bare - REI replaced it with a new one. No questions asked. The dog actually enjoys wearing it ... he'd put his head right through the straps.
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/5542/tj5542_102307_145623_275960.jpg

rlharris
01-14-2008, 18:47
I like the construction and features of Brad's "Outward Hound" back pack. For one thing, there is a pad under the buckles so the buckles don't break the coat or irritate the skin. The manufacturer has a website http://www.kyjen.com/pettravelgear/?page=pt-de-outdoorgear) with information and links to dealers.

There are four sizes from x-small to large.

Rouen
01-14-2008, 18:54
the Kelty K-9 Chuckwagon is a good pack, but depending on the size of desdemona's corgi it might not fit the dog that well, I belive the small only fits dogs down to a 19" girth.

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 19:25
the Kelty K-9 Chuckwagon is a good pack, but depending on the size of desdemona's corgi it might not fit the dog that well, I belive the small only fits dogs down to a 19" girth.

The corgi's at our dog park must be fat, cuz they're definitely bigger than 19" in girth! ;)

But you're right, I just measured my small and the padded 'wings' touch at 19", but with the buckles in the way, you'd never get it that small, more like 20.5".

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 19:29
I like the construction and features of Brad's "Outward Hound" back pack. For one thing, there is a pad under the buckles so the buckles don't break the coat or irritate the skin. The manufacturer has a website http://www.kyjen.com/pettravelgear/?page=pt-de-outdoorgear) with information and links to dealers.

Had one that only lasted two hikes. Was so poorly put together. That was before the newer models. I've looked at them in stores, and personally, I don't feel they're all that big an improvement over the old one. These would never stand up to the use and abuse a pack gets from my dog. Their Excursion pack could not possibly be more centered over a dogs mid section. I can't imagine putting a full load on a dog like that and actually asking him to carry it. Sorry, just my opinion from experience.

CrumbSnatcher
01-14-2008, 20:02
dogs are not a true pack animal, just man up and carry your dogs gear/food for them.

wrongway_08
01-14-2008, 20:39

I liked the construction and looks of the life jacket also BUT then I used it, the leash mount ripped off the first time out. PetSmart replaced it but I dont think it will last much longer then the first one, unless I use a different harness.

I looked at these packs at PetSmart, nice features but they cost about the same as the REI one and for the money I would rather spend the extra from what I know of the company.

I think they are nice for "yuppie hiker dogs", like beach walkers or trails that are open for the packs wont see much abuse.

doggiebag
01-14-2008, 20:49
I liked the construction and looks of the life jacket also BUT then I used it, the leash mount ripped off the first time out. PetSmart replaced it but I dont think it will last much longer then the first one, unless I use a different harness.

I looked at these packs at PetSmart, nice features but they cost about the same as the REI one and for the money I would rather spend the extra from what I know of the company.

I think they are nice for "yuppie hiker dogs", like beach walkers or trails that are open for the packs wont see much abuse.

Those damn "yuppie hiker dogs" ... they don't stand a chance against the "truck stealing hiker dogs"
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/9/dscn2699.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21102&original=1&c=newimages&cutoffdate=7)
Sorry I couldn't resist.

wrongway_08
01-14-2008, 20:57
That is one of my favorite photos, yours came out a little better then the ones I took - looks like the dogs are laugh'n about it in your photo!

AlwaysHiking
01-14-2008, 23:11
That is one of my favorite photos, yours came out a little better then the ones I took - looks like the dogs are laugh'n about it in your photo!

That is a hilarious photo!

desdemona
01-15-2008, 01:11
I don't know much about corgies. (I'm a bigger dog kinda person) Aren't they kinda long-ish for their size? I think I'd ask my vet about carrying stuff before I ordered a pack.

Having said all that,

This is the only pack I looked up:
www.ruffwear.com (http://www.ruffwear.com)
Approach Pack II
"This is an amazing value-packed multi-day dog pack. Our redesigned Approach Pack II utilizes spiderweb harness technology from its den mate the Palisades Pack II. The harness chassis provides superior fitting, load carrying stability, and improved support without excessive straps. 1680-Denier ballistic nylon construction provides stability, support, and durability. Low profile elliptical saddlebags keep loads comfortably balanced. The Approach Pack II is now available in five sizes with the addition of XX Small and X Small sizes for smaller breeds. Now, all of our four-legged friends can join in on the fun."

Dogs as small as 12" girth, 10" length....

Or just by a harness for Corgi-dog to wear that will let you help him over obstacles.

JMHO

To answer another question, I was being rather silly saying "she should carry her own weight". Corgis are very active dogs, and mine esp. high energy. I had in mind more of a bottle of water (10 oz maybe), and a couple small pack items for the other side to balance. I'm sure that that is less stress than say taking an A-Frame in agility or jumping up her own height, which she does all the time or something like that. (I know it is kind of a different type stress, but still...)

We are not talkign really serious packing. (On my part either.) And while Corgis aren't pack dogs, they also are working dogs (herding breed), and like to do some work.

I joke about her that she never plays and that she is just always working. She works at the dog park corralling all the dogs around.

And yes, I do like the idea of a handle to pick her up. I get to a place with cactus to the left and right and I have to pick her up in my arms.
It would be nice to have a well-balance kind of pick up.

--des

desdemona
01-15-2008, 17:13
BTW, I noticed an actual day hiker pack on one fo the pages. However, no handles. I am really liking the idea of a handle!!

Also I am a typical yuppie hiker. ??? (Too bad I am not a yuppie.) BUT, The dog always drives.
Hilarious photo!! :)

--des

kayak karl
01-15-2008, 19:08
princess is a 12 yr old, half lab, half pitbull. hikered her since she was a pup. about 4 yrs ago tried a pack on her once, lasted 2 hours. she wasn't enjoying herself as much. after that, like before, i carry her food and water. i OWE it to her:sun

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20084&catid=member&imageuser=13768

CrumbSnatcher
01-15-2008, 19:14
i'll say it again DOGS ARE NOT PACK ANIMALS!!! i dont care if its a 3.00 dollor or a 300.00 dollor pack. dont hurt your best friend. at least take the pack off the last mile or so,

CrumbSnatcher
01-15-2008, 19:21
your right to not make your dog wear a pack, but your not going on a sobo 08' and leaving princess behind, for that long are you. my dog bears retired from backpacking after 8,000 some miles. but i put my long distance hiking on hold so we could hang out togeather....bear turned 14 dec.29th 07' 3 thruhikes 50-75 miles with pack on,then disposed of pack in a hiker box. pack free after that.

doggiebag
01-15-2008, 19:22
They definitely had a great time. Is Hudson coming out for the next trip?

wrongway_08
01-15-2008, 19:27
not sure, kinda think it might be better to leave him behind for this one due to bad weather. He was shivering the one night and I dont want to hurt him.

On the other hand I loved having him along.......still thinking...

doggiebag
01-15-2008, 19:32
Fair enough ... gotta watch out for the pooch. He's still young. Looks like it's going to be colder this time out. I'll check the hooking up thread later for the final plans.

Cuffs
01-15-2008, 19:46
If anyone is looking for a dog-pack, I'll have one for sale at the SoRuck yard sale!

desdemona
01-17-2008, 00:33
Just saw these:
NO HANDLES. Now I really would want a handle--as it is hard to lift her up in my arms.

Anyway these are little packs for service dogs (I can't see a pug as a service dog, ok maybe therapy dog). But anyway they aren't meant to carry much but that's the point. A little here and there.

--des

general
01-17-2008, 11:56
i really like ruffwear packs. they have a handle and the bag part of the pack is velcroed to the harness part, and therefore will detach from the harness if the dog catches it on something. this is really helpful when the dog is going under fences. i know my dog would have ripped any other pack to shreads on many occasions.

mrburns
01-17-2008, 18:37
I've tried two packs with my dog (43lb border collie mix).
My dog appeared to be happy with either of the two packs below, so the opinions are mine not hers. I only used the Kelty for a day before returning it, so it was a short trial. I'm happy with the Ruff Wear even though it isn't perfect.

Ruff Wear Approach Pack II:
This is the only pack she uses now...
Pros:
* weight is mostly forward on her shoulders
* easy to adjust for fit and comfort
* handle on top, with two support straps under chest/abdomen
(I've only helped her using the handle a couple times, but I trust it, and dog didn't complain)
Cons:
* The leash seems to get caught up on the hanging saddle bags sometimes... because I still clip it to her collar instead of to the backpack leash loop.
* Pockets are a little larger/bulkier than what I'd prefer
* The stream lined saddle bags looked like they might chafe my dogs elbows over time.

Kelty:
Pros:
* Smaller streamlined saddle bags.
* Leash cant get caught up under the saddle bags, even if you clip it to dog's collar.

Cons:
* Can't adjust bottom strap to keep pack weight forward over dog front shoulders.
* Has a handle, but only one belly strap so I would not use the handle for any reason.

On day hikes it's usually empty except for some plastic zip lock bags... which I use to pick up her poop, and she packs it out (i bury it instead when camping). On camping trips, she caries her food bowl, a 50' rope to hang our food bag, and her own food.

kayak karl
01-17-2008, 18:56
Do yous do this? i always have all princess's info, my info, and our trip that day hocked to her collar. i use a plastis container about the size of a pill bottle. if something goes wrong it might help. i have the same info in a pouch around my neck also, fare is fare.

desdemona
01-17-2008, 23:48
Do yous do this? i always have all princess's info, my info, and our trip that day hocked to her collar. i use a plastis container about the size of a pill bottle. if something goes wrong it might help. i have the same info in a pouch around my neck also, fare is fare.

I haven't seen these lately but I have seen little nitroglycerin style pill bottles ID tags. I don't think its so useful to me--- but if i were going camping perhaps. Torie has a tag and is microchipped.

Thanks for your complete run down of the two packs-- Mrburns. I'm thinking I might get the ruff pack. They also make quite small sizes.

--des

CascadeLiberationOrg
07-11-2012, 14:17
No! I never ask my corgis to carry anything. Interferes with bushwhacking, balance, endurance, and steep scrambling. None of the dog backpacks I see look very lightweight or ergonomic. Their freeze-dried raw-meat food weighs little. What they can carry is negligible. I want them to romp free.
And I don't want my dog loaded with bear bait. He's already cougar bait.
I've tried Doggles and Mesheyes -- we have lots of bright alpine snow -- and I can't get them to keep them on reliably. YMMV. Flag the doggles (and the collars!) with day-glo marker tape, so you can find them when the dog scrapes them off.
The cooling vest shown is a Chillybuddy (standard Small is correct girth but too short; standard Medium is correct length but too big in girth (can be corrected easily); custom sizes are available, made in USA); I actually think it helps in hot sun above timberline with no shade, you must keep it damp.
Pawz booties are lightweight emergency pad protection.
I carry a chest harness and belay rig for dangerous log stream crossings and steep snow. If the dog wears the chest harness too long, it wears a sore on the collarbone, and that's why I first thought a corgi was only good for 8-9 miles.
Keep the collar as light as possible.