PDA

View Full Version : Sock liners?

desdemona
01-14-2008, 00:29
I should say it doesn't get too cold here (well it would if I were out at night, which I'm not). But yesterday I was out and it was about 40. That is winter.
I wear light Smartwool hiking socks. Also had some liners. I got some new Coolmax liners, but not sure if they will be ok for my purposes. What do you'all prefer for what to you is probably early spring hiking?

My choices seem to be thin wool (I like Smartwool), coolmax, and silk.

--des

map man
01-14-2008, 00:39
I use inexpensive nylon men's dress socks as my liner socks. I've had less trouble with foot blisters since I started wearing them (I used some thinsulate liners in cool weather and coolmax liners in warm weather previously). The elasticity of the cheaper socks probably wears out more quickly than if you bought more expensive socks, but mine still seem to be holding up after about a month of hiking last year (I guess I've got about two weeks on both pairs I own). I got them for $5.00 for two pair at Target. I tried them after reading a tip here at WhiteBlaze.

Roots
01-14-2008, 00:53
I always swear by sock liners, since I wear boots. I use whatever liners are cheap-Wigwam. I have used more expensive, but the cheap ones work well. Never a blister, even when my boots were new.:)

mudhead
01-14-2008, 07:16
http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/SockDetail.aspx?ID=2115&c=BLACK

I tried to wear a pair of these out before the logo was added. Still use them.

They are not as sweet as the old version, but they are worth the extra $ to me, and I am tight. The "white" polypro liners by Fox are a waste of money. (You know, the endorsed ones...)

fiddlehead
01-14-2008, 08:10
I've been selling polypro sock liners for years but don't wear em myself.
(i'm not advertising, just trying to answer the OP's post)

I'd say that people who's feet sweat a lot, swear by them.
But people who have cold feet because of poor circulation, well, they really don't need them, they're better off with a thick wool or fleece sock.

That seems to be the consensus in my 15+ years of selling them online and retailing them at places like the gathering and trail daze.

I also feel that the cheap, nylon thin socks from walmart or target are probably as good. (now does that sound like and ad?) take it easy mods.

desdemona
01-14-2008, 10:28
Hmm, my feet tend to be cold. OTOH, I don't know what the liners I had were made of (the ones I went out with on Saturday-- some sort of synthetic no doubt) and I did fine. So Coolmax might just work. Maybe I should try the light wool liners too. (I have light wool regular hikilng socks.)

--des

Thoughtful Owl
01-14-2008, 10:34
I should say it doesn't get too cold here (well it would if I were out at night, which I'm not). But yesterday I was out and it was about 40. That is winter.
I wear light Smartwool hiking socks. Also had some liners. I got some new Coolmax liners, but not sure if they will be ok for my purposes. What do you'all prefer for what to you is probably early spring hiking?

--des

I usually wear sock liners and I too prefer the smart wool socks. I will get ladies knee high nylons and wear as a liner when it is warmer, like the 40+ temperature range. When it is colder I usually wear CoolMax sock liners. You can buy seconds for around $3.50 a pair and are well worth it.

Tinker
01-14-2008, 10:56
I haven't used sock liners since the days of "Ragg" socks. Haven't needed them since I found out how to buy boots that fit. No blisters.

JAK
01-14-2008, 11:20
I just got some merino wool dress socks at Sears for $6 a pair.

75% merino wool, 23% nylon, 2% spandex, 1 ounce per pair

Ewker
01-14-2008, 11:27
I like and use sock liners since my feet sweat quite a bit

dessertrat
01-14-2008, 11:31
The best use of sock liners is to prevent blisters, not to keep your feet warm.

yappy
01-14-2008, 11:39
I don't wear them either as a 2nd sock. They are all i wear in distance hiking now..I bring a pair of smart wool to sleep in at night..or wear the day into town .

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 11:40
I haven't used sock liners since the days of "Ragg" socks. ...

I wear liner socks and "Ragg" wools socks _THESE_ days! ;)

Rain:sunMan

Tipi Walter
01-14-2008, 12:18
I've been selling polypro sock liners for years but don't wear em myself.
(i'm not advertising, just trying to answer the OP's post)

I'd say that people who's feet sweat a lot, swear by them.
But people who have cold feet because of poor circulation, well, they really don't need them, they're better off with a thick wool or fleece sock.

That seems to be the consensus in my 15+ years of selling them online and retailing them at places like the gathering and trail daze.

I also feel that the cheap, nylon thin socks from walmart or target are probably as good. (now does that sound like and ad?) take it easy mods.

I agree that most people are probably better off with a single thick wool sock. I like the Smartwool Mountaineer, the thickest they make. My problem with liners is rucking. They tend to bunch up and create "rucks" around the toes/heels, hot spots, etc. Just give me a nice thick pair of wool socks for winter backpacking and I'm happy.

mudhead
01-14-2008, 12:31
Rucking is the issue I have with the "endorsed" Fox liners, and about four other types I have tried. "Rucking," is nasty.

Tipi, this is for you:

http://currierandives.net/AHomeInTheWilderness/

Tipi Walter
01-14-2008, 12:50
Rucking is the issue I have with the "endorsed" Fox liners, and about four other types I have tried. "Rucking," is nasty.

Tipi, this is for you:

http://currierandives.net/AHomeInTheWilderness/

You know me well and have brought back my jaded faith in humanity. Thanks for the sentiment. Now, if I could just go back a hundred and fifty years ago to those winter days in the wilderness . . .

JAK
01-14-2008, 12:53
Tipi,
Perhaps this will help also:
http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/1725.html

Tipi Walter
01-14-2008, 13:29
Tipi,
Perhaps this will help also:
http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/1725.html

"On a day there comes once more
To the latched and lonely door,
Down the wood-road striding silent
One who has been here before."

It's good to know there are other nature boys out there . . .

shelterbuilder
01-14-2008, 21:12
I wear polypro sock liners under RAGG socks!!!:eek:

Yes, my feet sweat a lot - always have. But I don't get blisters anymore, and I credit the sock liners with that little miracle. After a REALLY long day, I may have spots that are almost "hotspots", but by morning, my feet are looking and feeling normal again.

Deerleg
01-14-2008, 21:34

--des
I love the Gobi sock liners, much thiner than Coolmax liners, and for me work well with or without Smartwool depending on conditions.
http://www.getzs.com/customer/Wigwam_Mens_Gobi_Liner_Sock/product/831/1/17862.html?MMCF_Froogle&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Wigwam%20Mills-_-DataFeed-_-Wigwam%20Mens%20Gobi%20Liner%20Sock

Kirby
01-14-2008, 21:53
I met a thru hiker is the wilderness this summer. He told me that from Springer to Neel's Gap, he was constantly getting blisters. At Neel's Gap, he purchased sock liners. He did not get a blister for the remainder of the trip. I use sock liners, and have never had a blister on the back of my heel.

Kirby