horicon
01-14-2008, 06:13
Has any one hiked the AT in the Winter.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 06:34
not me but plenty have

TOW
01-14-2008, 06:40
Yes I have, not a thru hike but I hiked on the AT in the winter.

Marta
01-14-2008, 07:45
On the southern end of the AT, winter is a great time to be out. No bugs; good views through the leafless trees; often warmish days and cold, starry nights; no crowds. It's not that unusual to start a hike in Georgia in January.

What are you thinking about trying?

fiddlehead
01-14-2008, 07:58
I did a soutbound starting oct 14 and finishing feb 10 in 2001/2002.

but it was supported.

To me, it was the best time to do it: Best views, no people, quiet, shelters available every night with no snorers, dogs, arguing, farting, etc.

but, on the downside: nights are long, most of your state parks, hotels, tourist attractions, things like that, are closed for the winter.

Saw 3 other thru hikers besides the 1st 100 miles and the last 100 miles.

Great time! go for it.

shelterbuilder
01-14-2008, 21:24
I second fiddlehead's sentiments - winter can be the best time for hiking the AT. While I have not been out on the trail in winter for several years now, when I was younger, I used to get out several times a season for shorter trips - it's a blast when there's 8 to 12 inches of snow on the ground. (Of course, we haven't gotten that much lately!!) And if you're lucky enough to be camped out after a snowfall, and you can break a new trail where there are NO HUMAN footprints yet, well....

Kirby
01-14-2008, 21:37
The Maine AT is nice in the winter, if you are prepared.

Mount Washington sure looked nice from my window yesterday.

Kirby

Green Bean
01-14-2008, 21:43
IMO the winter is the best time to hike on the AT. the cold does suck but it makes it way more of an adventure and theres noooooo bugs which is definitly a plus. ~GB

Deerleg
01-14-2008, 21:45
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=3135&catid=member&imageuser=2895

Love it!

:):):)

Venture
01-14-2008, 21:58
The AT in NH/VT has been great this year for snowshoeing! I have not seen anyone each time i have been out. It can be a lot of fun with the right gear! Winter brings a different kind of beauty out of the trail.

Wolf - 23000
01-14-2008, 21:58
bt02,

I've done the entire AT in the winter months (Dec., Jan., and Feb.). It took me several years to do, but I'm glad I was able to do it. It wasn't always easy, far more difficult than a normal thru-hike, but I would love to do it again.

Wolf

DuctTape
01-16-2008, 03:52
Wolf, I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of you and our conversation at the Doyle.

I love telling people about this - the whole AT sectioned in winter!

Wolf - 23000
01-16-2008, 09:36
Wolf, I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of you and our conversation at the Doyle.

I love telling people about this - the whole AT sectioned in winter!

Thanks DuctTape,

For me, winter hiking the AT is one of my favority time to hike the AT – no bugs to worry about, don’t have to deal with the heat, few people. Sure it is harder hiking, breaking snow for 10 miles straight, route finding (in the northern states) or just getting water while everything is frozen soild is hard work expectionally if you’re alone but so what. It is truly a chance to get back to nature and just relax. Whether you are hiking with someone or not, the people that you are with you must be very comfortable with.

Wolf

rafe
01-16-2008, 09:37
Has any one hiked the AT in the Winter.

For sure, several times over. One of the journals in the famous James Hare/Rodale press anthology (published 1975) was of a winter thru-hike. Southbound, as I recall. I forget the hiker's name.

dessertrat
01-16-2008, 21:40
Thanks DuctTape,

For me, winter hiking the AT is one of my favority time to hike the AT – no bugs to worry about, don’t have to deal with the heat, few people. Sure it is harder hiking, breaking snow for 10 miles straight, route finding (in the northern states) or just getting water while everything is frozen soild is hard work expectionally if you’re alone but so what. It is truly a chance to get back to nature and just relax. Whether you are hiking with someone or not, the people that you are with you must be very comfortable with.

Wolf

Did you use a sled or a pack for those sections? It seems like in some places (but not others) it might be easier to use a sled, or at least a combo (a plastic sled strapped to a pack, and used in whichever way is best at the time, maybe).

Wolf - 23000
01-16-2008, 22:08
Did you use a sled or a pack for those sections? It seems like in some places (but not others) it might be easier to use a sled, or at least a combo (a plastic sled strapped to a pack, and used in whichever way is best at the time, maybe).

I used a backpack the whole way. The trail winds around in the woods to much for a sled to be practical. A sled would be good in clear areas. The only place I could see it be useful would be possible NH other than that it is a pain in the neck.

I also kept my pack at a moderate weight, 35 - 45 pounds including food/water. To use a sled for that kind of weight, I just couldn't see doing it.

Wolf