PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed - boot choices

sam4msu
01-14-2008, 06:33
Given the money would you purchase a pair of boots from a company such as Scarpa, Vasque, Asolo or something similar or would you spend about $100 more to get a pair of off the shelf Limmer Lightweights. These would be used for mostly weekend hikes with some week long section hikes thrown in a few times a year.

Thanks

TOW
01-14-2008, 06:41
Vasque...........

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 06:46
anything but limmers. even the trustafarian hut crews in the whites don't wear them anymore.

Bearpaw
01-14-2008, 10:14
Get your feet measured and fitted by an experienced bootfitter. The footwear that fits best and provides the level of support you require are the best ones for you, regardless of brand.

Without knowing your feet, I wouldn't make a brand recommendation for you. But in several years of working as a bootfitter, I was able to pair up better than 90% of my customers with footwear that worked well for them off the shelf. Go to a quality outfitter and ask for their best bootfitter. If he or she is not there, find out when that person is available and come back then. It's worth the time.

maxNcathy
01-14-2008, 10:56
New Balance 810 or 811 trail runners.

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 11:43
... in several years of working as a bootfitter, I was able to pair up better than 90% of my customers with footwear that worked well for them off the shelf.....

But, if one is in that "10%" as I am, off-the-shelf boots are a compromise at best.

Rain:sunMan

Tipi Walter
01-14-2008, 12:14
anything but limmers. even the trustafarian hut crews in the whites don't wear them anymore.

We agree on this point and I won't bore ya with the particulars . . .

I like my Asolos FSNs or FNGs or whatever. Fit great and so much more comfy than the Limmers.

StubbleJumper
01-15-2008, 22:50
I have used (and destroyed) a few pairs of New Balance trail runners. I like them well enough except on terrain with many roots or rocks which beat the hell out of the bottom of my feet. I was looking at the Hi Tech website and it appears that their products generally have a firmer sole and may offer more protection. Has anybody used Hi Tech boots, and which particular models offer a balance between enhanced protection but are still reasonably light?

Cabin Fever
01-15-2008, 23:00
I have used boots made by Lowa, Vasque, Timberland, Asolo and Merrell. The Lowas were by far the most comfortable. The Merrells were indestructable, but not all that comfortable. The best all around I have had were the Asolos.

LIhikers
01-15-2008, 23:12
I've had good luck with Vasque Clarion boots. I use them for everything from wearing around the house and wearing them to work, to two week section hikes on the AT. I've never had a blister from them even when hiking day after day with wet feet.