PDA

View Full Version : POLL- MOONING The COG

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 10:43
MOUNT WASHINGTON-

Have you taken part in the Mooning of the Mount Washington cog railway.

"

Almost There
01-14-2008, 10:52
Perhaps 10-15 years ago I would have done it, in fact, I know I would have, but as a married teacher in his 30's I just don't see the point, and no child needs to see my pale, white butt!

RITBlake
01-14-2008, 10:53
According to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website, a thru-hike isn't considered 'valid' unless the cog train was mooned. So I guess you don't really have a choice if you want your 2000 miler patch.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 10:56
According to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website, a thru-hike isn't considered 'valid' unless the cog train was mooned. So I guess you don't really have a choice if you want your 2000 miler patch.

I'd be interested in seeing the link to that, if it in fact does exist. :rolleyes:

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 11:03
I'd be interested in seeing the link to that, if it in fact does exist. :rolleyes:

lol me too

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 11:06
Have you taken part in the Mooning of the Mount Washington cog railway.

course not. only a creepy, exhibitionist homosexual would do that.

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 11:10

Nahhh, those would be the one's doing it in their own mirrors

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:10
I'm pretty sure you're FOS on that one dude. I'd like to see the literature to prove that one. As a matter of fact, I challenge you to post a direct link to it here.

course not. only a creepy, exhibitionist homosexual would do that.I don't think I'd put it exactly like that, but I do think it's a very inappropriate thing to do, given that that is a family attraction and it's not what young eyes (or any eyes for that matter) need to see. I think it's juvenile, tacky and a sign of poor upbringing.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 11:11

lol me tooThe ATC mentions it here (http://www.mobango.com/media_details/smiley_mooning/kyyCtO5UJ7w=%22).

JAK
01-14-2008, 11:11
What if you want to select 3 and 5?

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 11:15
I think it's juvenile, tacky and a sign of poor upbringing.

I wouldn't be blaming anyone's mother.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 11:15
What if you want to select 3 and 5?May I suggest counseling :D

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:16
The ATC mentions it here (http://www.mobango.com/media_details/smiley_mooning/kyyCtO5UJ7w=%22).Nice joke, but it isn't proof of anything RITBlake claims.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:20
I'm pretty sure you're FOS on that one dude. I'd like to see the literature to prove that one. As a matter of fact, I challenge you to post a direct link to it here.

I don't think I'd put it exactly like that, but I do think it's a very inappropriate thing to do, given that that is a family attraction and it's not what young eyes (or any eyes for that matter) need to see. I think it's juvenile, tacky and a sign of poor upbringing.

I wouldn't be blaming anyone's mother.That's my opinion, yours may be different and I'm sure it is. But, with all due respect, that's my opinion, like it or not.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 11:26
That's my opinion, yours may be different and I'm sure it is. But, with all due respect, that's my opinion, like it or not.

Hooch, I agree mooning is inappropriate and tacky, but people make their own decisions regardless of their upbringing. That's my opinion. :)

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:28
Hooch, I agree mooning is inappropriate and tacky, but people make their own decisions regardless of their upbringing. That's my opinion. :)
Fair enough then. Opinion duly noted and respected.

JAK
01-14-2008, 11:30
May I suggest counseling :DFinally. Someone who cares. :)

Marta
01-14-2008, 11:31
I wouldn't use the word "disgusting," but I do think it's silly.

RITBlake
01-14-2008, 11:34

I remember reading it a while back, maybe they changed their policy.

Also if you didn't eat half a gallon of ice cream in PA and they found out, your AT thruhiker status would be stripped. They check the log books at Pine Grove Furnace to verify everyone.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:38

Also if you didn't eat half a gallon of ice cream in PA and they found out, your AT thruhiker status would be stripped. They check the log books at Pine Grove Furnace to verify everyone.
Pretty sure you're FOs on that one too.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 11:44

Everyone should document this carefully with a photo, the UPC, and the receipt.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 11:49
I don't think a properly done moon would offend 95+% of people -- you will see way more bun at any beach or on MTV than you see in a proper moon. However, some hikers have been doing improper moons - those that show the rectum and sometimes the boys / girls :o:confused: - which is indeed offensive and disgusting to many.

rafe
01-14-2008, 11:49

I presume RITBlake was being facetious. :rolleyes:

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:50
I presume RITBlake was being facetious. :rolleyes:
Not what I'd call it, but ok. :D

RITBlake
01-14-2008, 11:51
Everyone should document this carefully with a photo, the UPC, and the receipt.

better safe then sorry. I heard about one guy who had his certificate stolen right off his wall during the night by a band of AMC ninjas.

When he asked one of the fleeing ninjas why they were stealing his certificate, one muttered "next time eat the ice cream"

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 11:59
I don't think a properly done moon would offend 95+% of people -- you will see way more bun at any beach or on MTV than you see in a proper moon. However, some hikers have been doing improper moons - those that show the rectum and sometimes the boys / girls :o:confused: - which is indeed offensive and disgusting to many.

Right on.

Mooning done right isnt to be vulgar, its just a prank.

Whoever thought it was to show your butthole or anything else other than the buttocks must be thinking (and assuming) the most vulgar display the position could reflect.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 12:04
Try showing your buttocks in the school yard and see what happens.

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 12:11
man some o you guys are going off the deep end with this. schoolyards are not the topic. geez, lol

RITBlake
01-14-2008, 12:12

that's a good point, put the mooning in a different context and it seems wrong

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 12:18
man some o you guys are going off the deep end with this. schoolyards are not the topic. geez, lol

Sure they are, kids go to Mt. Washington to have fun, just like the schoolyard.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 12:19
Go to a schoolyard and do some of the stuff seen on MTV.... make sure your bondsman's card is in your pocket...... ;)

taildragger
01-14-2008, 12:33

When I was a kid I mooned the schoolyard all the time, whats the difference between a young ass and a not so young ass (other than the possibility of hair)

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 12:35
SO what your thinking is, that the ones that do it, specifically wait for the COG's filled with children?????

thats going down another path entirely.

I am sure there are those who "Moon" on impulse, careless to who it is to and who is affected. I am not one o them.

When you do something like that, you wait for the right moment. Which yes, includes checking out who is riding in that COG.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 12:44
Sheeple moon, hikers hike. I am outta here.

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 12:49

yeah, the poll will speak for itself.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 12:51
the poll shows:
6 pervs
10 aspiring pervs
25 decent hikers that care about others

rafe
01-14-2008, 12:53

Sheeple are folks who modify their behavior on the basis of poll results. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 13:00
the poll shows:
6 pervs
8 aspiring pervs
21 decent hikers that care about others
Sheeple are folks who modify their behavior on the basis of poll results. ;)Hmmmm... aren't http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/sheep.gif those who go along with the majority opinion :D

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 13:02

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 13:10
RITBlake-"According to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website, a thru-hike isn't considered 'valid' unless the cog train was mooned."I think we should ask the thru hikers that got the hefty fines or an invite to appear in Federal Court to support your contention.;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 13:13
Whoops - typo in link.... my bad... fixed now

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 13:14
I think we should ask the thru hikers that got the hefty fines or an invite to appear in Federal Court to support your contention.;)

how much did those morons have to pay?

EasyStrider
01-14-2008, 13:17
Not to get into the discussion as to whether mooning the cog railway is politically correct or not, I thought I'd share some info. On my thru hike this past summer I had heard something on the AT grapevine a day before I arrived at Mt. Washington, about 2 thru hikers receiving $100.00+ citations by the resident NH State Trooper, for mooning the train. When I arrived at the summit in the morning and was having breakfast in the snack bar, I heard the cog engine whistle and lo' and behold the State Trooper approaches the window and starts scanning the tracks with a high powered pair of binoculars. Bottom line, before making that decision to moon, bear in mind big brother may be watching and may come and get ya.

On a lighter note I heard that after receiving their fines, one thru hiker stated "If I knew I'd be fined I never would have done it". The other thru hiker said "If I'd known I'd be fined, I would have got my money's worth"!

Freeleo
01-14-2008, 13:17
Go to a schoolyard and do some of the stuff seen on MTV.... make sure your bondsman's card is in your pocket...... ;)

go to the schoolyard to see kids doing things seen on MTV:-?

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 13:19
Lone Wolf-"how much did those morons have to pay?"Why are you asking me, I wasn't one of them!;)

I think it was something like $125, but it could be otherwise. For a thru hiker who complains about spending a dollar, that is a fortune.

saimyoji
01-14-2008, 13:19
Go to the schoolyard and see kids doing things they can't show on MTV. :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 13:28
....thru hiker said "If I'd known I'd be fined, I would have got my money's worth"!This is what I fear the fines will end up doing - making the display much more er... ah... displaying than they normally have been. I mean if you plan to do it and you are going to get busted for it, may as well make it something worthy of getting busted. While I don't think this way, I know some do.

Personally, I would think turning your back to the train, bending over and pointing to your fully-clad hinney would send a much more poignant message about what you think of the COG and would likely be legal.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 13:31
This is what I fear the fines will end up doing - making the display much more er... ah... displaying than they normally have been. I mean if you plan to do it and you are going to get busted for it, may as well make it something worthy of getting busted. While I don't think this way, I know some do.

Personally, I would think turning your back to the train, bending over and pointing to your fully-clad hinney would send a much more poignant message about what you think of the COG and would likely be legal.I don't agree with that first part. I think it will simply make folks run a little faster.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 13:31
This is what I fear the fines will end up doing - making the display much more er... ah... displaying than they normally have been. I mean if you plan to do it and you are going to get busted for it, may as well make it something worthy of getting busted. While I don't think this way, I know some do.

Personally, I would think turning your back to the train, bending over and pointing to your fully-clad hinney would send a much more poignant message about what you think of the COG and would likely be legal.I'm not sure what the NH law or the federal law is on public nudity, but obviously it's a fineable offense. I'd be willing to wager that if they started aresting a few of these knuckleheads and taking them to jail, the mooning would cut wayyyyyyy back. Others start seeing folks going to jail for mooning and they'll get the picture soon enough. :D

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 13:32
Hmmmm... aren't http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/sheep.gif those who go along with the majority opinion :D

The term is used in a lot of different contexts. The context I was using is the people who follow along with the sillier and dumber traditions. But, you knew that. :)

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 13:36
Hooch-"...Others start seeing folks going to jail for mooning and they'll get the picture soon enough.:D "Please don't send me a picture of people mooning!:eek: ;)

peanuts
01-14-2008, 13:40
man, oh, man........
another freakin' moon the cog thread:rolleyes:
when will it end.............:eek::eek:

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 13:40
I know the moonies do not get it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this scenario:

Boy Scout Leader: "OK, Troop we are going to hike the AT on MT. Washington!"

Concerned Parent: "Oh, I hear that hikers moon the cog railway. Will you be going on that part of the AT?"

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 13:41
man, oh, man........

When the mooning stops? :D

Imager
01-14-2008, 13:45
I don't get mooning at all. It seems as if the mooners think they're putting down the moonees in some way. (Is that correct mooners?) But in the animal kingdom (of which I think we're members) such behavior is a sign of submission, as in offering ones self for, well, you know.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 13:46
man, oh, man........

Let's talk about fording the Kennebec. Something real men do. Girlie men moon families and ride in canoes

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 13:47
Tin Man-"I know the moonies do not get it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this scenario:

Boy Scout Leader: "OK, Troop we are going to hike the AT on MT. Washington!"..."Or a worse scenario:

Boy Scout Leader: "OK, Troop we are going to hike the AT on MT. Washington so you can get your mooning badges.":rolleyes:

Hooch
01-14-2008, 13:48
man, oh, man........
when will it end.............:eek::eek:Probably when the idiot with no better common sense stop mooning the f*&#$*g cog! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 13:48
Let's talk about fording the Kennebec. Something real men do. Girlie men moon families and ride in canoes::: Dino dressed as fortune teller sees this thread ending up in Sensitive Trail Topics forum soon :::

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 13:49
Let's talk about fording the Kennebec. Something real men do. Girlie men moon families and ride in canoes

You forgot using Leki's, filtering water and sleeping in shelters.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 13:52
Or a worse scenario:

Boy Scout Leader: "OK, Troop we are going to hike the AT on MT. Washington so you can get your mooning badges.":rolleyes:If every Boy Scout Troop went to Mt. Washington and mooned the cog, America would stand up and listen! That's a great idea to get the cog off the mountain! All you scoutmasters run that past your councils.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 14:01
Q: Want to get WB'ers to show their true selves?

A: Start a thread on mooning the cog.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 14:03
"Officer, I was just trying to get my merit badge".

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 14:08
Supreme Court Docket

Boy Scouts of America Versus the United States of America -
case involves boundaries constitutional right to protest

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 14:08
the poll shows:
6 pervs
10 aspiring pervs
25 decent hikers that care about others

6 pervs
11 aspiring pervs
29 decent hikers

Alligator
01-14-2008, 14:09
Q: Want to get WB'ers to show their true selves?

A: Start a thread on mooning the cog.Serious and world shattering issues like this typically do separate the wheat from the chaff.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 14:10
6 pervs
11 aspiring pervs
29 decent hikers
.http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/sheep.gif
Sheeple

:D

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 14:12
.http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/sheep.gif
Hikers that moon are Sheeple and Pervs

:D

correct

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 14:13
It's Miss Quote in sheep's clothing - run for your lives.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 14:16
6 pervs
11 aspiring pervs
29 decent hikersI haven't voted yet, my crack is on the fence.

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 14:16
So much discussion over people exposing their asses.

If anyone of any age ever was mentally or emotionally harmed by such a thing, they started out with worse problems than getting mooned.

Multiple U.S. courts have held that only exposure of the genitals constitutes indecent exposure and that mooning is protected speech. First amendment and all that sort of stuff. I can't wait for someone to challenge this silliness in court. No doubt they kept the fine to below what a minor traffic ticket costs to avoid such an inevitable defeat. I'm surprised the ACLU isn't all over this one.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 14:17
shut up dillweed :rolleyes:

rafe
01-14-2008, 14:18
Probably when the idiot with no better common sense stop mooning the f*&#$*g cog! :D

Right, like your whining about it on Whiteblaze is actually going to change matters one way or another. :rolleyes: If camojack hadn't started that BS thread back on 11/15/07, you'd still be blissfully ignorant.

Yahtzee
01-14-2008, 14:23
Jesus, Tater, stop it with your big city logic and reasoning. Children could be harmed by a bare ass. Possibly scarred for life.

I can't get the image out of my head of the trooper whose job it is to look out for hiker ass. Can't believe that is what that trooper had in mind when they were in training. "Today, we will be going over the procedures for 'stop and frisk'. Tomorrow, we will be learning how to identify and ticket mooners."
What a sorry detail to be given.

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 14:27
Jesus, Tater, stop it with your big city logic and reasoning. Children could be harmed by a bare ass. Possibly scarred for life.

I can't get the image out of my head of the trooper whose job it is to look out for hiker ass. Can't believe that is what that trooper had in mind when they were in training. "Today, we will be going over the procedures for 'stop and frisk'. Tomorrow, we will be learning how to identify and ticket mooners."

I'm sure it was more fun for the people who work there when they could just chuck coal at the mooners. Now they would probably get charged with assault or something.

Furlough
01-14-2008, 14:32

Or be someone named Gator Gump.

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 14:38
Appalachian Tater-"...I can't wait for someone to challenge this silliness in court. ..."Don't try to pass the buck, or wait; that "someone" could be you! Let us know how it goes after the cavity search and they throw your arse in a jail cell with someone with a big ol' smile named Bubba.:D

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 14:41
Don't try to pass the buck, or wait; that "someone" could be you! Let us know how it goes after the cavity search and they throw your arse in a jail cell with someone with a big ol' smile named Bubba.:D

Tater is very much into that

A-Train
01-14-2008, 14:45
So much discussion over people exposing their asses.

If anyone of any age ever was mentally or emotionally harmed by such a thing, they started out with worse problems than getting mooned.

Multiple U.S. courts have held that only exposure of the genitals constitutes indecent exposure and that mooning is protected speech. First amendment and all that sort of stuff. I can't wait for someone to challenge this silliness in court. No doubt they kept the fine to below what a minor traffic ticket costs to avoid such an inevitable defeat. I'm surprised the ACLU isn't all over this one.

Agreed. Americans are way too uptight and offended by nudity, yet we have dozens of tv shows with dispicable violence that kids watch. If you're offended by a naked A$$ you're over-sensitive. No kids gonna grow up messed up from seeing some hikers butts-ultimately it's the job their parents do raising them.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 14:46
perv or aspiring perv, or perv/aspiring perv sympathizer?

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 14:48
just watching the posts to see how funny it is how many people connect "mooning" with all the bad things in this world and not for what it is. A harmless prank.

(THAT SAID, WHEN when you first inspect where you are aiming, to me which is common sense) :banana

NOTE: I am just supporting todays mooners, like I said I havent done it in at least eight years.

jrwiesz
01-14-2008, 16:58

Right, I'm sure he'd rather be out looking for meth labs and pot plots!:sun

Yahtzee
01-14-2008, 17:21
Right, I'm sure he'd rather be out looking for meth labs and pot plots!:sun

If he was any policeman worth his salt, he would.

WalkingStick75
01-14-2008, 20:11
I don't think it is disgusting, but I sure don't want to be labeled as a sex offender either!

Imager
01-14-2008, 20:15
I don't get mooning at all. It seems as if the mooners think they're putting down the moonees in some way. (Is that correct mooners?) But in the animal kingdom (of which I think we're members) such behavior is a sign of submission, as in offering ones self for, well, you know.

I'll try one more time (maybe there is no answer). Can the mooners please clarify what message they're conveying when they moon?

Yahtzee
01-14-2008, 20:27
I got on the trail. I hiked. Somewhere along the way I heard about mooning the cog. Got to the cog. Mooned it. No real motivation. No expression involved other than silliness. Didn't think twice about. Didn't know it was a problem until recently. When you're not asked for a justification, just participating in a silly ritual, you rarely have one. Maybe some will answer with a particular political or social reason but it's my guess most of us did it without thinking twice. Now, there is a line, the law. So we must pick sides and become divided into mooners/perverts or responsible adults/lunatics. And I would guess, now that it is an issue those who moon in the future will concoct some reason for doing it.

I'm mooning for Darfur. What about you?
The Red Sox.

bigboots
01-14-2008, 20:30
Maybe it's because I am relatively young in age and being just got out of college, but I'm sure 90% of you have mooned a fellow car in a caravan while flying down the highway, or streaking across campus. Sorry if I offend anyone but sometimes when a challenge is put forth (or a bet is lost:rolleyes:) things happen. And there may have been a youngster in a nearby car... whats the difference?

I may be foolish or juvanile, maybe both:-?...you can decide.

Bigboots

taildragger
01-14-2008, 20:39
I'll try one more time (maybe there is no answer). Can the mooners please clarify what message they're conveying when they moon?

That with proper drawing my butt can be mistaken for a freakishly short bearded hiker.

Wilson
01-14-2008, 20:46
"Maybe it's because I am relatively young in age and being just got out of college, but I'm sure 90% of you have mooned a fellow car in a caravan while flying down the highway, or streaking across campus."

Always wondered what they taught you folks at colledge.:D

Jim Adams
01-14-2008, 20:51
I know the moonies do not get it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this scenario:

Boy Scout Leader: "OK, Troop we are going to hike the AT on MT. Washington!"

Concerned Parent: "Oh, I hear that hikers moon the cog railway. Will you be going on that part of the AT?"

...how else will you get that mooning patch????:D

geek

CrumbSnatcher
01-14-2008, 20:59
some people have zactly disease. which means they can keep the pants on. zactly disease= your face looks zactly like your a**

Kirby
01-14-2008, 21:21
This is an idiotic "tradition".

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 21:26
If mooning goes away, what would you suggest be done instead to show our disdain for the COG?

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 21:27
i don't have any disdain for the cog

bigboots
01-14-2008, 21:29
If mooning goes away, what would you suggest be done instead to show our disdain for the COG?

:-?:-?:-?:-?

bigboots

GGS2
01-14-2008, 21:30

Yogi the tourons. Take advantage of their weakness.

Jaybird62
01-14-2008, 21:32
Maybe... just point your butt in the direction of the train, but don't drop your pants. I'm pretty sure their would be nothing illegal with that.

rafe
01-14-2008, 21:35

What disdain? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 21:44
There are those of us who feel that black smoke belching monstrosity doesn't belong there. If I were to moon the train, that would be the reason. Why else would a great-grandmother be out in the woods mooning? :-?

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 21:48
Frolicking Dinosaurs-"If mooning goes away, what would you suggest be done instead to show our disdain for the COG?"
_terrapin_"What disdain?:-?"The lady doth protest too much, methinks.:rolleyes:

ed bell
01-14-2008, 22:00
There are those of us who feel that black smoke belching monstrosity doesn't belong there. If I were to moon the train, that would be the reason. Why else would a great-grandmother be out in the woods mooning? :-?I would pass on the mooning myself, but I always thought the mooning was a result of those who had walked to the summit of Mt. Washington ribbing the "riders" who took the easy way up. Like OF has said, many things on Mt. Washington predate the AT. What's wrong with taking it as it is/has been?

rafe
01-14-2008, 22:07
There are those of us who feel that black smoke belching monstrosity doesn't belong there.

That old contraption was pooping its way up and down the mountain long before either of us roamed the planet, Dino. It's a piece of New England history. Tacky, for sure, but an amazing feat of engineering back in 1869.

Almost as weird and tacky as those old bumper-cars that used to haul skiers up Mt. Cranmore (in North Conway) until just a few years ago.

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 22:20
There are those of us who feel that black smoke belching monstrosity doesn't belong there. If I were to moon the train, that would be the reason. Why else would a great-grandmother be out in the woods mooning? :-?

I think there are a lot of other "monuments to progress" in this world that would be removed if a referendum were held.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-14-2008, 22:25
i didn't moon. don't plan on starting. just not my thing.

rafe
01-14-2008, 22:29
I think there are a lot of other "monuments to progress" in this world that would be removed if a referendum were held.

Let's start with the Parthenon. I'm sure Athens could use another shopping mall.

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 22:34
Let's start with the Parthenon. I'm sure Athens could use another shopping mall.

Bad example Terp...

but yes...we could extrapolate the anti-progress notion to the extreme and end up in the slam like Ted Kazcinsky

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 22:35
The Eiffel Tower is a better example.

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 22:41
_terrapin_"Almost as weird and tacky as those old bumper-cars that used to haul skiers up Mt. Cranmore (in North Conway) until just a few years ago."Not really bumper cars, per se, but a funicular or cable car (http://teachski.com/articles/cranmoreskimobile/cranmoreskimopbile.htm) where the cable is beneath the cars and track.

Note that the above reference says: "...only one other skimobile lift was even installed, that lift was at the Homestead in Hot Springs, Virginia."

rafe
01-14-2008, 22:46
Bumper cars was just a figure of speech, TOF. Glad I got to experience them once or twice before they "upgraded." Of course, I'm old enough to regret the passing of Poma lifts. :D

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 23:01
That old contraption was pooping its way up and down the mountain long before either of us roamed the planet, Dino. It's a piece of New England history. Tacky, for sure, but an amazing feat of engineering back in 1869.

Yes, it is a piece of History worth preserving. And it is not tacky at all. Mooning is tacky.

woodsy
01-14-2008, 23:03
Find it interesting how some people from away pass over Mt Washington once or twice in their lifetime and want the world as it has been to stop doing what it has been doing(the cog) for a century and a half so they can have their moment of grand illusion despite cars driving in and out of the summit area.
Reminds me of someone who winter hikes in snow country a few times in 20 years and wants all snowmobilers wiped off the face of the earth because he might hear one in the distance on one of these rare events.. Meanwhile, jet and prop airplanes fill the sky overhead with noise and vapor trails but he doesn't seem to notice them.

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 23:07
I got on the trail. I hiked. Somewhere along the way I heard about mooning the cog. Got to the cog. Mooned it. No real motivation. No expression involved other than silliness. Didn't think twice about. Didn't know it was a problem until recently. When you're not asked for a justification, just participating in a silly ritual, you rarely have one. Maybe some will answer with a particular political or social reason but it's my guess most of us did it without thinking twice. Now, there is a line, the law. So we must pick sides and become divided into mooners/perverts or responsible adults/lunatics. And I would guess, now that it is an issue those who moon in the future will concoct some reason for doing it.

I'm mooning for Darfur. What about you?
The Red Sox.

As Yahtzee said, people aren't mooning to make any kind of statement. They think they are being funny or cool somehow. I betcha the mooning hikers cause more polution on their hike. Maybe they should moon each other. :-?

Wilson
01-14-2008, 23:11
I really like trains, so do my boys and a lot of other kids, ...Kidding aside, why hate a train. You all drive cars, use a computer, pay power and gas bills, so it can't really be about pollution....that would seem hypocritical.

Stuff like this makes the enviromentalist type look like buffoons to the general public while real enviromental problems go ignored.

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:12
The Eiffel Tower is a better example.

N o..that is an impact to the "natural" landscpe too

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:15
Find it interesting how some people from away pass over Mt Washington once or twice in their lifetime and want the world as it has been to stop doing what it has been doing(the cog) for a century and a half so they can have their moment of grand illusion despite cars driving in and out of the summit area.
Reminds me of someone who winter hikes in snow country a few times in 20 years and wants all snowmobilers wiped off the face of the earth because he might hear one in the distance on one of these rare events.. Meanwhile, jet and prop airplanes fill the sky overhead with noise and vapor trails but he doesn't seem to notice them.

It's a slippery slope isn't it when we start to qualify the impacts humans have made upon the earth

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 23:18
It's a slippery slope isn't it when we start to qualify the impacts humans have made upon the earth

Yup and the cog seems to get the arse end of the stick.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 23:21
So you fellows totally support the COG?

Wilson
01-14-2008, 23:23
I do. Am I in trouble?

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 23:24
I do. Am I in trouble?

Count me in too. Maybe we need carbon credits?

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:25

Terrapin mentioned the Parthenon. That certainly seems like a benign object. However, what are it's imapst upon the earth? Certainly there was the conversion of that space from the natural to human when it was constructed. Well, how about now. Tourists flock to Greece to see the antiquities. What was their "carbon foot print" to get there? When the Partenon was a functioning center of Greek society, what was the imapacts th human civilization regarding war etc, that were made there.

Not trying to go to deep, but stuff isn't as simple as it seems sometimes.

rafe
01-14-2008, 23:27

What are you going on about? The cog's not going anywhere... except up and down the mountain, like it's been doing for the last 150 years.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com/mt_washington_cog_railway.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
I do. Am I in trouble?Oh, you are in sooooo much trouble.
::: Dino puts in titanium dentures for mass toe biting ::::

Seriously, I'm not in the habit of bashing those who disagree with me. I'll leave that to those here who make it a regular practice.

Lone Wolf

yeah. it's hurting nothing. it's just an aesthetic issue

OregonHiker

I'll ask you this...is the COG any more of a polluter than the road you take to visit your great grandchildren?

Just saying...it's about making value judgements from a social/environmental perspective

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 23:28
Terrapin mentioned the Parthenon. That certainly seems like a benign object. However, what are it's imapst upon the earth? Certainly there was the conversion of that space from the natural to human when it was constructed. Well, how about now. Tourists flock to Greece to see the antiquities. What was their "carbon foot print" to get there? When the Partenon was a functioning center of Greek society, what was the imapacts th human civilization regarding war etc, that were made there.

Not trying to go to deep, but stuff isn't as simple as it seems sometimes.

Agreed. Good post.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 23:32
My main objection to the COG being located so close to the AT is that coal-fired engines produce soot -- lots of it. Maybe we need to move the trail?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/Dinolaughing.jpg

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 23:34
My main objection to the COG being located so close to the AT is that coal-fired engines produce soot -- lots of it. Maybe we need to move the trail?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/Dinolaughing.jpg

have you been there?

rafe
01-14-2008, 23:35

"Support" it? Not exactly. I regard it as an odd little quirk, an anachronism, even mildly entertaining. Heck, I've even ridden it. (Fell asleep on the ride down.) In the overall scheme of things, it's not worth getting upset over. The USA is nothing but for its tacky, smoke-belching machines, eh?

HIKER7s
01-14-2008, 23:37

yeah, that would be a way to stop the moonies, the COG comin up or down that Mtn makes for some pretty memorable moments though. I think it would take away from the experience. Mooning aside

Jim Adams
01-14-2008, 23:37
the cog polluting with bellowing smoke is cute and a part of history in the middle of a beautiful alpine area and will never be removed but God forbid you put a windmill 3 miles from the trail to help allieviate energy problems.
nice priorities.

geek

rafe
01-14-2008, 23:38
Tourists flock to Greece to see the antiquities. What was their "carbon foot print" to get there?

Tear down Disney first. :D It doesn't even have the benefit of being historically significant.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 23:40
have you been there?Not on the AT, but yes, I have been on Mount Washington.

Jim Adams
actually the whole disney corp is historically significant but i wouldn't mind it being gone either.

geek

rafe
the cog polluting with bellowing smoke is cute and a part of history in the middle of a beautiful alpine area and will never be removed but God forbid you put a windmill 3 miles from the trail to help allieviate energy problems.
nice priorities.

I agree on that one, geek.

OregonHiker
Tear down Disney first. :D It doesn't even have the benefit of being historically significant.

Well it just passed 50 years so i must be an antique:sun

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:41
Not on the AT, but yes, I have been on Mount Washington.

Dd you hike, drive or ride to the top? :cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 23:41
the cog polluting with bellowing smoke is cute and a part of history in the middle of a beautiful alpine area and will never be removed but God forbid you put a windmill 3 miles from the trail to help alleviate energy problems.
nice priorities.Excellent point. I could live with a windmill much more easily -- and no one would give a rip if I mooned it. It is a win-win situation.

Montego
01-14-2008, 23:43

(SNIFF, SNIFF) my Mickey Mouse Ears are not historically significant?
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/em4600.gif

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 23:44
Dd you hike, drive or ride to the top? :cool:Drove up the other side and walked down a bit from the top on the AT - saw the carbon deposits on the rocks.

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:44
Excellent point. I could live with a windmill much more easily -- and no one would give a rip if I mooned it. It is a win-win situation.

Yes...but windmills don't bring in many tourist dollars

Tin Man
01-14-2008, 23:46
What are you going on about? The cog's not going anywhere... except up and down the mountain, like it's been doing for the last 150 years.

Huh? I support the cog.

Jim Adams
01-14-2008, 23:46
Yes...but windmills don't bring in many tourist dollars
they don't have to if they make our air cleaner.:-?

geek

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:48
Drove up the other side and walked down a bit from the top on the AT - saw the carbon deposits on the rocks.

What about the emissions that you car produced to get you there? You might not see them but they are there.

My point is that every human leaves an impact upon the earth and we all make value judgement regarding that impact,

Heck, ever really consider how much raw materials are consumed to produce, computers, internet hardware etc. so we can have this conversation.

My point is that there is no black and white....just shades of gray

The Old Fhart
01-14-2008, 23:49
So my question is to those of you who may have visited NH 1 to 2 times and feel that the Cog needs to clean up its act (or you blame the AMC for the Cog:rolleyes:). What have you done that is positive to make an impact? Obviously baring your ugly butt can only have a negative effect, particularly in the way the general public views thru hikers.

I know many who have spent a weekend on the summit doing cleanup. One year we got a huge pile of old timbers the Cog had discarded and they eventually hauled them down the mountain. Maybe what we've done is just a small start but it is better to light one candle than curse the darkness, or display your nether regions to families on vacation.

Once the complainers build their own trail around all the places and states they object to, the problem will disappear.:D

OregonHiker
they don't have to if they make our air cleaner.:-?

geek

Will you be selling your car and be walking to work:-?

Didn't think so

ed bell
My main objection to the COG being located so close to the AT is that coal-fired engines produce soot -- lots of it. Maybe we need to move the trail? Nah, the thing doesn't run like the roller-coasters at a theme park. Mt. Washington is what is has been since the AT came about. I'd bet the hike past it takes a couple hours at most. I wouldn't know for sure, cause me and my brand new wife drove up at the end of May in 2004. I've always loved the weather and this was kinda like my pilgrimage in a way. The staff gave us red carpet treatment even though they were not officially open. I'll never forget it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-14-2008, 23:52
Once the complainers build their own trail around all the places and states they object to, the problem will disappear.:DAmen... can't wait.

OregonHiker
01-14-2008, 23:56
\ my brand new wife drove up at the end of May in 2004.

Ed,

You sure of the year you got married this time?:eek::D

rafe
01-15-2008, 00:02

Well, actually, some of us are taking that issue seriously. I've always made it a point to drive small, light, high-mileage cars and to live close to where I work. And I do ride my bike to work occasionally when the weather's amenable.

20-30 years ago I'd think nothing of hopping in my car on just about any weekend of the year to drive 150 miles each way in order to ski, hike, sail, or whatever. These habits have changed completely. I can't do that any more, in good conscience. It's really kicking my butt, actually. I miss skiing and hiking in the Whites. I miss taking my Hobie all over New England on the regatta circuit. (I miss sailing on Yale Lake and Timothy Lake and Detroit Lake and the Columbia River, as well. ;))

Jim Adams
01-15-2008, 00:06

Didn't think so

well, i work 24 hour shifts so i only "drive to work" twice a week.
i either ride my bicycle or my 70mpg motorcycle to work when the weather isn't ice and then i drive my 28mpg van.
i live in a small very well insulated 790 sq. ft. house. i use either flourecent lighting or oil lamps and candles for light. i use wood for heating of both atmosephere and water and some cooking as well as passive solar. i do use electricity but as little as possible and my monthly electric bill is usually less than $30. i grow a vegetable and herb garden and use spring water as much as possible.

how big is your footprint?:(

geek

Tin Man
01-15-2008, 00:08
Well, actually, some of us are taking that issue seriously. I've always made it a point to drive small, light, high-mileage cars and to live close to where I work. And I do ride my bike to work occasionally when the weather's amenable.

20-30 years ago I'd think nothing of hopping in my car on just about any weekend of the year to drive 150 miles each way in order to ski, hike, sail, or whatever. These habits have changed completely. I can't do that any more, in good conscience. It's really kicking my butt, actually. I miss skiing and hiking in the Whites. I miss taking my Hobie all over New England on the regatta circuit. (I miss sailing on Yale Lake and Timothy Lake and Detroit Lake and the Columbia River, as well. ;))

WHY? Dang Terrapin, that is making too much of a statement. Live a little.

fiddlehead
01-15-2008, 00:11
Wow! want to get the whiteblazer's blood up? Just mention mooning the cog.

I think now this is brought up even MORE than the once a year it used to be.

I see no one's passion has died down on it either.

LW: Homosexuals? really?

For those who care: i drive a 100 cc honda wave motorcycle. get's 100 mpg.
I know it's not walking but i'm looking at a bicycle. (the wife & kid like the motorbike)

ban the cog! moon on!

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:12

But you own acar and a bike. These took raw materials to make.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:13
well, i work 24 hour shifts so i only "drive to work" twice a week.
i either ride my bicycle or my 70mpg motorcycle to work when the weather isn't ice and then i drive my 28mpg van.
i live in a small very well insulated 790 sq. ft. house. i use either flourecent lighting or oil lamps and candles for light. i use wood for heating of both atmosephere and water and some cooking as well as passive solar. i do use electricity but as little as possible and my monthly electric bill is usually less than $30. i grow a vegetable and herb garden and use spring water as much as possible.

how big is your footprint?:(

geek

I am not saying I don't have afootprint...only recognizing that we all do.

Even if you mount the high horse...it still poops.

Jim Adams
01-15-2008, 00:14
i should also point out that i am not always such a goodie2 shoes. i do use vehicles, trains, and planes to get to my Northern Canadian adventures and i could probably support the entire alcohol industry with just my drinking...no way that i can distill and brew enough volume to meet my demand.

geek

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:15
i should also point out that i am not always such a goodie2 shoes. i do use vehicles, trains, and planes to get to my Northern Canadian adventures and i could probably support the entire alcohol industry with just my drinking...no way that i can distill and brew enough volume to meet my demand.

geek

I'd buy you a brew:D

It would taste better in the Canadian Rockies too:sun

rafe
01-15-2008, 00:15
WHY? Dang Terrapin, that is making too much of a statement. Live a little.
I do. Occasionally. This time next week I'll be in Cancun. :sun

ed bell
01-15-2008, 00:16
Ed,

You sure of the year you got married this time?:eek::DSHHHH, dammit.:mad:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
Wow! want to get the whiteblazer's blood up? Just mention mooning the cog.I'm so glad somebody is getting how funny this is.

The Old Fhart
Fiddlehead-"Wow! want to get the whiteblazer's blood up? Just mention mooning the cog."Especially if you post something truly idiotic like the Cog belongs to the AMC.:rolleyes:

Jim Adams
01-15-2008, 00:17
I'd buy you a brew:D

It would taste better in the Canadian Rockies too:sun
i had some Alaskan Smoked Porter this year on the PCT...mmmmmm! can't find it anywhere on the East coast.:mad:

geek

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:18
I'm so glad somebody is getting how funny this is.

Funny? You mentioned moving the thread.:-?

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:18
i had some Alaskan Smoked Porter this year on the PCT...mmmmmm! can't find it anywhere on the East coast.:mad:

geek

PCT? Where?

Jim Adams
01-15-2008, 00:19
PCT? Where?

Green Valley...the Anderson's!

geek

rafe
01-15-2008, 00:20
Even if you mount the high horse...it still poops.

I'm with you... but I've tried discussing issues of sustainability here on WB. Been there, done that. :datzNone of us are perfect. Except maybe Tipi Walter. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 00:21
Funny? You mentioned moving the thread.:-?(I figured it would go south when the BSA was mentioned.... BTW, I'm not a mod in this section so I can't move anything here.

ed bell
01-15-2008, 00:25
I'm with you... but I've tried discussing issues of sustainability here on WB. Been there, done that. :datzNone of us are perfect. Except maybe Tipi Walter. :DHe sure walks the walk. Maybe not 100%, but close all the same.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:33
(I figured it would go south when the BSA was mentioned.... BTW, I'm not a mod in this section so I can't move anything here.

Aw BSA -- the root of all evils..nice dodge...you were the one who mentioned moving the thread right?...thought so:-?

Tin Man
01-15-2008, 00:35
Especially if you post something truly idiotic like the Cog belongs to the AMC.:rolleyes:

The Cog don't belong to the AMC. Didn't you hear? Some hiker bought it. Thought it would be fun to watch the look on little old ladies and kids faces when he drove it past all those moonies.

fiddlehead
01-15-2008, 00:35
Especially if you post something truly idiotic like the Cog belongs to the AMC.:rolleyes:

now now old fhart. i met you and i like you.

However i remember a few times in the past when you got quite upset over someone misquoting you.

I said that the AMC ran the place (i meant the white mtns) the cog isn't a place.

And if you're trying to upset me, good luck!
I live in a different country now and my stress level is way down from what it used to be. so go ahead and try!
Frolicking Dino got it right in her last post. (i think it was her last one, i'd really be upset to be quoted on it though)

Hey, how many of you have ever mooned ANYTHING?

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:37
moonies.

Moonies? (korean led cult) Now that's another topic:sun

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 00:39
Oregon Hiker, you're fos!!! Get off her case

Tin Man
01-15-2008, 00:43
Moonies? (korean led cult) Now that's another topic:sun

Yup, but do they carry carbon credits?

rafe
01-15-2008, 00:47
Yup, but do they carry carbon credits?

Rev. Moon don't need no steenking carbon credits. He's as rich as Croesus. Just got himself a new editor (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/14/solomon-wash-times/), I hear.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 00:59
Oregon Hiker, you're fos!!! Get off her case

Maybe...not on her case but trying to conduct a civil debate:cool:

Perhaps you could counter with a intellectually based response.

Tin Man
01-15-2008, 01:02
Rev. Moon don't need no steenking carbon credits. He's as rich as Croesus. Just got himself a new editor (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/14/solomon-wash-times/), I hear.

After Al Gore invented carbon credits, he flew them all over the world to spread his message of melting icicles, violated storms and such, in order to show those evil rich people what a saint he is.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 07:15
I do. Occasionally. This time next week I'll be in Cancun. :sun

that's a waste of time and money. tourist central

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 07:18
Wow! want to get the whiteblazer's blood up? Just mention mooning the cog.

LW: Homosexuals? really?

just getting the whiteblazer's blood up

Hooch
01-15-2008, 07:23
:rolleyes: If camojack hadn't started that BS thread back on 11/15/07, you'd still be blissfully ignorant.Were I you, I'd not assume you know what I am ignorant of and not. You know what they say about assume.......it makes an ass out of "u" and me. Well, drop the me part and double the "u". All you've posted is an opinion, which are like a$$holes, everyone's got one, only this time, it's bigger than most.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 08:06
POLL:
65 decent, respectful hikers
20 wannabe pervs
11 actual pervs

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 08:14
Aw BSA -- the root of all evils..nice dodge...you were the one who mentioned moving the thread right?...thought so:-?You think BSA is the root of evil and the smoke-belching COG is A-OK??:eek:?? Well, all righty then....

For the record - I feel BSA can be an excellent part of boys' life when quality adult leadership is present. Without quality leadership, it can be a disaster. The organization itself is neither inherently good nor inherently bad - it can be either one depending on the quality of the leadership. However, BSA is a non-AT topic and we need to take the discussion there if it continues.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 08:21
Maybe...not on her case but trying to conduct a civil debate:cool:

Perhaps you could counter with a intellectually based response.Perhaps you will try this yourself one day...

just getting the whiteblazer's blood up
LW's new avatar :D
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/LW-Crockspoon.jpg

The Old Fhart
01-15-2008, 08:43
Fiddlehead-
"The AMC was running the place last time i mooned the cog.
Sounds like it possibly has changed since then. fine with me.
Whoever is in charge should think about removing that dumb ass toy..."
+++++++++++
"I said that the AMC ran the place (i meant the white mtns) the cog isn't a place."

If the second statement is what you truly meant then it is still just as wrong as what the first statement seemed to imply. The Dept of Agriculture, USFS, has “run” the WMNF since the Weeks Act created the WMNF as public land in 1911. The AMC has special use permits to operate the huts but has to follow the USFS rules, not the other way round. This is a common misconception of people who aren’t familiar with the area or its history.

An example of this is the rebuild of Galehead Hut around 2000. The AMC was building it without DI access, as required by the ADA, because they reasoned that it was in the backcountry and that wasn’t necessary. The USFS laid down the law and said all new public buildings on their land had to be handicapped accessible, and that is why that hut has a wheelchair ramp at the entrance. Whether you (or the AMC) agrees with that building decision or not, it is clear who owns and runs the WMNF.

The Cog is private and neither the WMNF, the AMC, or as you put it, “whoever is in charge” has any say over it. And, if you want to be taken literally, the Cog is a train, not a “dumb ass toy” as you stated.:D

Dances with Mice
01-15-2008, 08:49
2 questions: What do hikers do with their firearms when they moon the cog?

And is that an alien reflected in FD's spoon? (opposite the Wolfhead handle)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 08:54
2 questions: What do hikers do with their firearms when they moon the cog?They leave them in their pack where they already were making it darn-near impossible to get to them when needed.
And is that an alien reflected in FD's spoon? (opposite the Wolfhead handle)Proof LW is affiliated with the KKK or aliens :eek: (this is joke for the humor-impaired :rolleyes:)

This thread may land in sensitive topics yet :D

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 08:55

real men don't moon cogs so it's not an issue. but some pervs might pack http://www.pinkpistols.org/

rafe
01-15-2008, 09:03
For the record - I feel BSA can be an excellent part of boys' life when quality adult leadership is present.

Crest Toothpaste has been found to be a safe and effective decay-preventive dentrifice that can be of significant value when used in a conscientously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

rafe
01-15-2008, 09:06
Were I you...

Which you're not, so what was your point? :-?

Hooch
01-15-2008, 09:23
Which you're not, so what was your point? :-?My point is everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter when, where or how they formulated it. You don't have to agree with it or even respect it for that matter. There's no need to slam me for mine, whether you like it or not. An unprovoked attack on what I said is definitely unwarranted.

rafe
01-15-2008, 09:39
My point is everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter when, where or how they formulated it.

Does that apply to folks mooning the cog? :-? Or only if they express their opinions via family-oriented, G-rated methods meeting your approval?

Hooch
01-15-2008, 09:43
Does that apply to folks mooning the cog? :-? Or only if they express their opinions via family-oriented, G-rated methods meeting your approval?But that's my opinion. I will agree that other's opionions may vary and I respect that. But you obviously felt no need to make personal attacks on them. If you don't like my opinion, be an adult about it and move on. If people want to moon the cogs, that's on them, but I do have a right not only to disagree, but to voice said disagreement. If you don't like it, as the Russians say, tough ****-ski.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 10:42
You think BSA is the root of evil and the smoke-belching COG is A-OK??:eek:?? Well, all righty then....

For the record - I feel BSA can be an excellent part of boys' life when quality adult leadership is present. Without quality leadership, it can be a disaster. The organization itself is neither inherently good nor inherently bad - it can be either one depending on the quality of the leadership. However, BSA is a non-AT topic and we need to take the discussion there if it continues.

I was being sarcastic. I think BSA is, for the most part, a good organization

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 10:43
Perhaps you will try this yourself one day...

I believe I have been:mad:

dessertrat
01-15-2008, 11:03
I was being sarcastic. I think BSA is, for the most part, a good organization

My brother had a BSA. The electrics never worked right, and it leaked oil, but it was a fun ride.

jesse
01-15-2008, 11:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances with Mice http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=501623#post501623)

real men don't moon cogs so it's not an issue. but some pervs might pack http://www.pinkpistols.org/

now that's funny

HIKER7s
01-15-2008, 15:00

geek

Did you ever have the "Black Hook" in Washington, Its almost better n the Red Hook in MAss.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 15:01
Did you ever have the "Black Hook" in Washington, Its almost better n the Red Hook in MAss.

Actually Red Hook started in WA. I visited the brewery around 1983 when it was still a "micro" operation

HIKER7s
01-15-2008, 15:05
Actually Red Hook started in WA. I visited the brewery around 1983 when it was still a "micro" operation

Yeah, I know, but the only place to get the Black is out there...unless you want to special order it.

I visit the Brewery about twice a year, a friend is like 30 min from it

HIKER7s
01-15-2008, 15:06

Must of been even better when it was a smaller operation

dessertrat
01-15-2008, 15:19

No he's not. I used to shuttle the ice cream. When they switched to Ben & Jerry's from regular stuff, my load weight went up dramatically.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 15:24

Please provide an example from this thread

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:08

LW's new avatar :D
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/LW-Crockspoon.jpg

FD...you are full of crock of scat

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 21:10
FD...you are full of crock of scatAt least I'm hanging out with an honest guy who fights fair.

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:13
You, Oregon Hiker are full of it. I thought I told you earlier to leave her alone!!!

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:15
At least I'm hanging out with an honest guy who fights fair.

Fair?

I asked you this

Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=501610#post501610)

And this is your response,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonHiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
Not interested in fighting with you. Quote:
From the Cog thread

Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=501610#post501610)

You do understand honesty? ....right

It is comments like this that lead to me making the statement - do you understand?

Implying the worst about people is not part of honest discourse and I don't bother attempting it with people who routinely engage in this sort of thing.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 21:17
Real classy, Oregonhiker - posting PM convo without asking - edited to make you look better no less

In this case I don't mind one bit. It should make my point crystal clear to everyone.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:24
Real classy, Oregonhiker - posting PM convo without asking.

In this case I don't mind one bit. It should make my point crystal clear to everyone.

Well ...you had your chance to clear the public record after I PM'd you for an explanation of your chicken bleep post.

You elected not to.. so you get to have it stuffed back in your face:banana

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:25
You, Oregon Hiker are full of it. I thought I told you earlier to leave her alone!!!

WHO ARE YOU?

Alligator
01-15-2008, 21:33
Whoah time take a breather.

Kirby
01-15-2008, 21:35
Well ...you had your chance to clear the public record after I PM'd you for an explanation of your chicken bleep post.

You elected not to.. so you get to have it stuffed back in your face:banana

I'm going to have to side with FD on this one, mainly because you should, out of decency and courtesy, ask the other end of the PM for permission to post PM messages on the bulletin.

By the way, in case your wondering, I'm Kevin Kirby, see screen name for additional information.

My rant is over,
Kirby

Alligator
01-15-2008, 21:38
I'm going to have to side with FD on this one, mainly because you should, out of decency and courtesy, ask the other end of the PM for permission to post PM messages on the bulletin.

By the way, in case your wondering, I'm Kevin Kirby, see screen name for additional information.

My rant is over,
KirbyIt sounds better as "I'm Kevin Kirby and I approve this post!";)

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:39
Just someone who wants to let you know that you are f.o.s. Get over it ****

Kirby
01-15-2008, 21:39
It sounds better as "I'm Kevin Kirby and I approve this post!";)

Bam! Done! It's like magic! But really it's just me beholding the power of the user CP.

Kirby

Kirby
01-15-2008, 21:40
Just someone who wants to let you know that you are f.o.s. Get over it ****

Was that intended for me:confused:?

Kirby

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:40

My rant is over,
Kirby

YAWN...

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:41
Check out my public profile. No "stealthing" going on here.

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:42
No Kirby, not directed at you. Directed straight at Oregon Hiker

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:42
Check out my public profile. No "stealthing" going on here.

who are you? and who cares

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:44
I really don't need to say anything. Your comments speak for themselves.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:46
Real classy, Oregonhiker - posting PM convo without asking - edited to make you look better no less

so why are you editing your post?

You made a commnt viathe group...I asked you to provide proof via the group...you did not respond...I asked you again via PM...you got snarky

what don't you understand?

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2008, 21:47
I have read through this twice trying to figure out why people are arguing and i just give up. It must be a liberal vs. conservative thing, just don't see who is which in this case.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:47
I really don't need to say anything. Your comments speak for themselves.

but you keeo flapping your pie hole?

curious:D

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:48
I have read through this twice trying to figure out why people are arguing and i just give up. It must be a liberal vs. conservative thing, just don't see who is which in this case.

Nah... I think it is about fording the Kennebec River

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 21:49
I really don't need to say anything. Your comments speak for themselves.The ignore feature - it is a beautiful thing - use it.

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:50
Just trying (in vain) to keep up with you......:p

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:50
The ignore feature - it is a beautiful thing - use it.

What's even better is having the guts to back up your nonsense.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:52
Just trying (in vain) to keep up with you......:p

That's right...you are trying to keep up :eek:

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 21:53
Copywright license obtained..... Shut your piehole O.H.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:56
:(
Copywright license obtained..... Shut your piehole O.H.

Come back when you can piece together the resemblance of an intelligent thought...knucklehead

fiddlehead
01-15-2008, 21:57
Wow, all this hate goin on.
Sure doesn't seem like an AT site from the AT that i remember.

People got along, helped each other out. Much more Love than Hate.

Maybe some of you just need to get out and do some hiking.

Try turn the computer off, put on your snowshoes or whatever, and get OUTSIDE!

Maybe when you come back, you can behave!

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 21:59
Wow, all this hate goin on.
Sure doesn't seem like an AT site from the AT that i remember.

People got along, helped each other out. Much more Love than Hate.

Maybe some of you just need to get out and do some hiking.

Try turn the computer off, put on your snowshoes or whatever, and get OUTSIDE!

Maybe when you come back, you can behave!

Maybe some of us don't like a so called moderator making a baseless claim and hiding when she is asked for evidence.

Probably e-mailing the Sarge for help as we speak

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 22:02
Maybe some of us don't like a so called moderator making a baseless claim and hiding when she is asked for evidence.

Probably e-mailing the Sarge for help as we speak

you're being a big fat dick. S T F U

The Old Fhart
01-15-2008, 22:03
Fiddlehead-"Wow, all this hate goin on.
Sure doesn't seem like an AT site from the AT that i remember...."Even though I can totally disagree with Fiddlehead, I'll admit he has great deals on PolyPro!:D

Kirby
01-15-2008, 22:04

I was hoping you would chime in, thank you.:)

Kirby

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 22:05
:)Dude, you truly are f.o.s. Knucklehead, that is real mature and intellegent. You are just trying to start ****, and I will not stoop to your level of immaturity. Have a nice day and happy trails to you, brother:sun

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 22:06

Pound sand jack ass:sun

fiddlehead
Like I said: "Night Hiking anyone?"

Real Men do what? hiking or name calling?

OregonHiker
I was hoping you would chime in, thank you.:)

Kirby

ass sniffer:(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 22:07
Even though I can totally disagree with Fiddlehead, I'll admit he has great deals on PolyPro!:DAmen to that - got some of his silk ladies' baselayer for myself and polypro for my brother for Christmas. Fast shipping and great products.

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 22:07
:)Dude, you truly are f.o.s. Knucklehead, that is real mature and intellegent. You are just trying to start ****, and I will not stoop to your level of immaturity. Have a nice day and happy trails to you, brother:sun

Too funny:mad:

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 22:08
Real Men do what?

hike and not moon families in trains

OregonHiker
01-15-2008, 22:08
Amen to that - got some of his silk ladies' baselayer for myself and polypro for my brother for Christmas. Fast shipping and great products.

Walk the walk sister:mad:

woodsy
01-15-2008, 22:09
popcorns a poppin

fiddlehead
01-15-2008, 22:09
Even though I can totally disagree with Fiddlehead, I'll admit he has great deals on PolyPro!:D

Well thanks Old Fhart, but won't the mods shut this thread down for hidden advertising?

I never thought i'd see the day when I would want a thread shut down, but never say never. This is nasty.

Jaybird62
01-15-2008, 22:10
I just love to watch people make *** ***** of themselves..... Got some extra popcorn woodsy?

dixicritter
01-15-2008, 22:12
thread closed