PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles..

Dazzy001
01-14-2008, 11:02
Are hiking poles necessary, are they even beneficial to the hiker, I guess what I’m trying to say is should I get a pair and what should I get and why! :-?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Hooch
01-14-2008, 11:05
Are hiking poles necessary, are they even beneficial to the hiker, I guess what I’m trying to say is should I get a pair and what should I get and why! :-?

Thanks in advance.

DarrenPoles are not a necessary thing to a lot of hikers. A lot of hikers like to have them, but most don't need them, per se. There are plenty here who say yes and plenty who say no, it all depends on what works for you. Personally, I use a set of Black Diamond Contour poles with the Flik-Lok system for easy adjustment. I don't have the best knees or ankles anymore, so the poles are a welcome assistance to me.

Lyle
01-14-2008, 11:12
This has been discussed many times. You will get no consensus on this issue. What I usually see is that the people most adamant about not needing poles have never tried poles.

My recommendation is yes, they help a lot. There is evidence that they do, in fact, reduce stress on the knees and ankles. Using rubber tips helps negate the negative effect on the trails that many will claim is devastating (I disagree).

My personal choice, and a unique pole is the Pacer Pole. VERY comfortable grip for all-day use. Check them out:

http://www.pacerpoles.co.uk/

My $0.02 worth.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 11:12

Thanks in advance.

Darren

no. not necessary. i've been long distance backpacking over 20 years. i have a "bad" knee and i don't use them. you'll end up carrying them a lot. the price of them is ridiculous too. IF you feel you need them at some point just get an old ski pole at a yard sale or find a stick in the woods

dessertrat
01-14-2008, 11:37
If you want to try them out, Walmart sells them for 10 bucks each. I find them helpful in pairs for going up steep hills, but usually only carry one, because most of the time I only use one, and use it like a walking stick. (Also, functions as a tentpole on many tarptents).

FanaticFringer
01-14-2008, 11:41
Search hiking poles here. A zillion posts about them. I use them.

rafe
01-14-2008, 11:52
Costs you maybe $30 for a cheap pair... decide for yourself. I'm not sure why anyone else's opinion should matter.

Tobit
01-14-2008, 12:29
I'm not sure why anyone else's opinion should matter.
Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

Alligator
01-14-2008, 13:06
Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.But some are louder than others:jump!

FanaticFringer
01-14-2008, 13:08
But some are louder than others:jump!

And bigger.:bse

Alligator
01-14-2008, 13:14
So is a loud opinion also a big opinion, or is a big opinion one that you think about later as it quietly echoes:-?. "Man that was deep."