PDA

View Full Version : Cloud9 Still Open to AT Hikers

galaleemc
01-14-2008, 14:53
Cloud9 at this point has not been sold (Lucky hikers). We are still open and plan on being available to hikers as long as we own it. We are looking forward to it.

Please note : We service UNICOI and DICK's CREEK GAP.
We do not provide shuttle service anywhere except to and from Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gap, and to town and back for resupply in the afternoon and is included with your stay.

We will still accept mail drops. We do not accept reservations but can accomodate 20+ people per night. You are welcome to call ahead for any information or support you may need. 706 896 8959

http://www.upperhightowertrout.com/hikers.html

We have seen SOBOs lately and have had one official NOBO.

Cindy from Indy
01-14-2008, 18:15
I just did my first 2 week itinerary and Cloud9 was a definite stop on my list. Thanks for the update!:)

Skidsteer
01-14-2008, 18:43
Now on to the important question.

Are you planning another St. Patrick's Day party?

galaleemc
01-15-2008, 16:53
Yes, but I will not be doing any cooking this year. It was too much last year, even with two non hikers helping me full time - for days ahead in preparation.

So I will post more as the date gets closer and decide too what to do, by then. Maybe a pot luck? The point is It will need much more assistance this year, especially since I won't be here. A month later I was loopy.

Plus I will be representing myself in a Georgia State Food Contest "Flavor of GA" Guess what my entry is?.............Yup Smoked Trout Dip.

Blissful
01-17-2008, 15:06
Plus I will be representing myself in a Georgia State Food Contest "Flavor of GA" Guess what my entry is?.............Yup Smoked Trout Dip.

Oh Laura that was Paul Bunyan's favorite. He LOVEd that stuff!!! Good luck.

Nightwalker
01-17-2008, 19:44
We do not provide shuttle service anywhere except to and from Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gap, and to town and back for resupply in the afternoon and is included with your stay. Do you do shuttles from DC Gap to town and back, or only for people that stay at your place?

Thanks

galaleemc
01-18-2008, 10:27
Hi Nightwalker

We only shuttle guests staying at our place to and from town for resupply.

However, SOMETIMES if you are in the right place at the right time and we are going into town we will give any hiker a ride.

When we are in full swing taking care of hikers staying here, we do not have time to stop everything we are doing to do a shuttle. We had two cars here last year and will only have ONE this year. Unless someone reading this sees it in the heart to donate a vehcile!

We do have several trail angels show up here, and at the trail to shuttle and there are shuttle services available we refer to. Occasionally hikers need to get back to Neel's Gap/Mountain Crossings for supplies and we just can't do it. If we are able it is rare.

galaleemc
02-29-2008, 18:49
We have added two new bunkbeds in the downstairs garage at Cloud9.

We will not separate the sexes, and all beds are first come first served, but I thought it would be nice to let the ladies have this space to themselves. If a bed is ever needed of course the boys can sleep there too.

It has been very cold here the last several nights. Many hikers have called from Unicoi to come here and two turned back around from Muskrat Creek Shelter to come back here. They just did not have the gear for 0 degrees and high winds.

2008 Hikers have a great hike, and take care of yourself - especially blisters. If you need help make sure you stop for care whether you stay here or not.

Jason of the Woods
02-29-2008, 18:54
Unless it catches our eye but we would still take care of the hiker trash.;)

error
02-29-2008, 20:46
I hope I can make it to Unicoi by St. Patty's Day. If so I'll see you there!

Sly
02-29-2008, 21:19
I should be there around 3/25. Can't wait.

astrogirl
02-29-2008, 23:42
I should be through there in mid-april. I look forward to it. :D

Nightwalker
03-01-2008, 21:51
Hi Nightwalker

We only shuttle guests staying at our place to and from town for resupply.

Sorry, just saw this. Thanks for the reply.

As much as I'm addicted to WB, I'm more addicted to hiking, and have been doing an extreme amount lately!

galaleemc
03-05-2008, 16:11
Yes The party is on for the 17th. I will need support and stuff, please read:

Everyone is invited. Hikers, neighbors, friends, family, WBlurkers, etc.

You are also invited to camp or hammock for free the night of the 16th and 17th.

Other guests can stay in Cloud9 or the bunkhouse as long as there is space - Thru HIKERS HAVE FIRST DIBS, at the regular rates.

Frank and I will provide free trout and desert.

Support this effort if you are coming please with a side dish to share and BYOB.

Come anytime, but let's plan on meal time around 5-6 on the 17th. We will have a fire around the pit (weather permitting). If you play a musical instrument or can provide other form of entertainment (jigglers) please do.

Last year there was a fee for food and there will not be this year.

Hikers please come even if you are not staying here, just bring food to share and BYOB. Call us to see if we can shuttle you here from Hiawassee. Ron Haven will bring folks from Franklin.

Calls welcome if you have any questions. 706 896 8959. LM

Dances with Mice
03-05-2008, 16:16
If you play a musical instrument or can provide other form of entertainment (jigglers) please do.There are so many things I could say I don't know where to start.

jlb2012
03-05-2008, 16:21
yeah I had to chuckle about that one too

galaleemc
03-05-2008, 23:47
see above
There are so many things I could say I don't know where to start.

Newb
03-06-2008, 09:19
woohoo. I'll be there on the 14th or 15th of April. hikin .

Why are you so quiet
03-11-2008, 07:42
Because I am shy and don't talk very much, Crutch (works at Cloud9) half-jokingly asked me if I I am a "serial killer planning to rape and murder hikers like Meredith."

We all want to prevent crime on the trail, but accusing a guest of your hostel of that goes too far.

What Crutch said was the worst thing that anyone has said to me in my life.

Sly
03-11-2008, 07:46
What Crutch said was the worst thing that anyone has said to me in my life.

I hope you tell him in not uncertain terms to go **** himself!

Two Speed
03-11-2008, 07:49
Because I am shy and don't talk . . . was the worst thing that anyone has said to me in my life.Unfortunately there are some folks that don't understand that the whole Meredith Emerson episode really isn't an appropriate subject for humor. I think the best thing to do is to overlook people like that.

BTW, :welcome to WB.

Red Hat
03-11-2008, 11:44
Sounds like a nice party. Two years in a row (04-05) I spent St. Paddys in Helen and had a green beer at the Pub by the Helendorf. Great memories! Nowadays seems like most folks go the other direction into Hiawassee from Unicoi. But I got to visit both Helen and Hiawassee by going right into Helen at Unacoi and left into Hiawassee at Dick's Creek several days later.

Mrs Baggins
03-11-2008, 11:50
Sounds like a nice party. Two years in a row (04-05) I spent St. Paddys in Helen and had a green beer at the Pub by the Helendorf. Great memories! Nowadays seems like most folks go the other direction into Hiawassee from Unicoi. But I got to visit both Helen and Hiawassee by going right into Helen at Unacoi and left into Hiawassee at Dick's Creek several days later.

We really enjoyed Helen. Wouldn't miss it if at all possible. We did the same thing - right into Helen at Unicoi, left into Hiawasee at Dick's Creek. When in Helen try the Chalet Christie hotel. Very clean, very quiet, hiker friendly, and the owners will shuttle you back to the trail head for a few gas bucks.

galaleemc
04-05-2008, 10:27
Cloud9 is open for hikers.

Believe it from the owners.

We have actually added more bunks, but you are not crammed in like sardines. One bunkhouse (Silver Lining) has three beds is given to ladies as much as we can. The original 7th Heaven has five beds.

The Jacuzzi is crystal clear and clean.

You don't need a reservation as we have space for all.

We go to Dick's Creek Gap several times a day or you can call for a pick up anytime. We do ask that you call for a pick up from UNICOI gap.

Cloud9 is not officially listed with a real estate agent, but is still for sale. Just because something is for sale doesn't mean it is closed for business.

THANKS FAT CHAP for giving Cloud9 a permanent computer! This angel GAVE Cloud9 a computer for hikers to use while staying here. He sat infront of the thing for DAYS to fix it up to run smoothly. Thanks FAT CHAP from the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff NH.

Laura and Frank

Cloud9 at this point has not been sold (Lucky hikers). We are still open and plan on being available to hikers as long as we own it. We are looking forward to it.

We do not provide shuttle service anywhere except to and from Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gap, and to town and back for resupply in the afternoon and is included with your stay.

We will still accept mail drops. We do not accept reservations but can accomodate 20+ people per night. You are welcome to call ahead for any information or support you may need. 706 896 8959

http://www.upperhightowertrout.com/hikers.html

We have seen SOBOs lately and have had one official NOBO.

-SEEKER-
04-05-2008, 12:47
Cloud9 is not officially listed with a real estate agent, but is still for sale. Just because something is for sale doesn't mean it is closed for business.

THANKS FAT CHAP for giving Cloud9 a permanent computer! This angel GAVE Cloud9 a computer for hikers to use while staying here. He sat infront of the thing for DAYS to fix it up to run smoothly. Thanks FAT CHAP from the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff NH.

Laura and Frank[/quote]
:banana

Glad to hear that Fat Chap was able to get the computer he donated going despite spending 2 days counseling me. Thanks to EVERYONE for EVERYTHING. I'm getting my issues resolved and plan to return to the trail later this month. I got a call from a hiker today looking for somewhere to stay and when I told her to stay at Cloud9, she said people were telling her it was closed. I set her straight on that and she (You Go Girl) should be there now. I'm glad that you guys are still doing well despite the rumors. Keep up the good work! My best to all my fellow hikers. I'm sending WARM SUNSHINY thoughts.:sun I SHALL RETURN!
Cyndie

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 12:53

Laura and Frank
:banana

Glad to hear that Fat Chap was able to get the computer he donated going despite spending 2 days counseling me. Thanks to EVERYONE for EVERYTHING. I'm getting my issues resolved and plan to return to the trail later this month. I got a call from a hiker today looking for somewhere to stay and when I told her to stay at Cloud9, she said people were telling her it was closed. I set her straight on that and she (You Go Girl) should be there now. I'm glad that you guys are still doing well despite the rumors. Keep up the good work! My best to all my fellow hikers. I'm sending WARM SUNSHINY thoughts.:sun I SHALL RETURN!
Cyndie[/quote]

I picked up two young ladies at Dicks Creek Gap yesterday as the thunderstorm was rolling in. I dropped them at the HIE in Hiawassee. I thought about suggesting Cloud 9, but they seemed to have reservations in town. Hopefully they don't get treated bad because of earlier talk here about someone disrespecting the fatalities there. But Jack assures everyone that hikers are still welcome at HIE. But my personal preference would have been Cloud 9 I think.

galaleemc
04-05-2008, 13:29
Hi Cyndie and Bulldawg

Cyndie - she said you were coming back out - that's great and I wish you the best time and best weather!

Bulldawg Thanks for thinking about us. But a reservation is best respected. some people also really want their own space.

Stop by sometime if you have not seen the place. Say hi to my fishing fool husband down by the trout ponds.

I have dropped off folks at HIE too - there is some used plumbing stacked in the parking lot - looks like they are getting a face lift.

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 13:48
Hi Cyndie and Bulldawg

Cyndie - she said you were coming back out - that's great and I wish you the best time and best weather!

Bulldawg Thanks for thinking about us. But a reservation is best respected. some people also really want their own space.

Stop by sometime if you have not seen the place. Say hi to my fishing fool husband down by the trout ponds.

I have dropped off folks at HIE too - there is some used plumbing stacked in the parking lot - looks like they are getting a face lift.

Yeah, I remarked to my wife yesterday evening that it looks like the place is getting a face lift. My son loves to trout fish. I may have to ride up in a week or two and check out the fishing if nothing else. We were on our way to the Young Harris Planetarium via Moccasin Creek Fish Hatchery yesterday. What a horrible day to be out hiking. That is one beautiful thing I love about my two or three day sections, I can choose not to be out in the rain. We were planning on hiking all day yesterday, but I just simply do not do the rain thing. I'll be by in a week or three to do some fishing.